Hot girls in Gaming industry

BennyWii

CAGiversary!
I recently listened to Cagcast 124 (karmic vomit) where CheapyD and Wombat talk about hot girls in the gaming industry (who dont know anything) but are there to just show off their Double Dragons.

A few weeks ago I noticed that gamespot got a new host for thier video show "On the Spot". Her name is Kristin Riely. She is a good looking girl but i believe she knows nothing about video games. Gamespot introduced her as being an awesome Halo 3 player and yet we see no footage of her playing. She gets game names wrong all the time and all she has to say about games is "Oh thats cute." Its like Gamepot is telling her what to say before the show.

I agree with CheapyD when he says that he would want a hardcore geek to give him his game info not hot girls, you can go to other places for that. I wouldn't mind if she actually played games and knew about them but she doesn't. She knows no history of games and doesn't give you any good information about them.

Just wondering if anyone else noticed this please comment about it.

I think that making the only voice in the gaming media be the typical geeky male only hurts the stigma around gamers. Girls play games too and I think it's interesting that websites are just now starting to realize this.

Girls like Jessica Chobot and Morgan Webb, while attractive (the former more so than the latter), do play games. Webb is always at every game convention in order to get her hands on the games and plays them with the boys.

Just because they have different bits and pieces doesn't mean that they're uninformed about the media they're covering.

But if they're just being put out there to look pretty, what makes them different from the poster girls that peddle liquor? Ultimately I think the answer lies in finding the right balance of beauty and knowledge. Just look at the girls at Destructoid. They're on the up and up about games and they're not bad lookin' either. (Case and point, Atheistium)

Well sure, whatever, but there's a bigger problem here. Girls showing off their double dragons? That would mean they're exposing their two dicks. That's disgusting.

[quote name='Chacrana']Well sure, whatever, but there's a bigger problem here. Girls showing off their double dragons? That would mean they're exposing their two dicks. That's disgusting.[/quote]

:rofl:

Yeahhhh. Trixie was kinda rough to look at, wasn't she? lol

Edit: Why just focus on the journalism side of the industry? I'll give you one name and you discuss: Jade Raymond.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='CouRageouS']I think the complaints of trixie360 were piling up. In comes the Chobot.[/QUOTE]

lul Chodebot.

I am not saying that girls in the gaming industry are bad as long as they actually play games like Chobot. But this girl seems like she doesn't know anything. Girls in the industry are perfectly fine.

[quote name='CouRageouS']I think the complaints of trixie360 were piling up. In comes the Chobot.[/QUOTE]
What kind of complaints were there about Trixie360?

Anyhow, like some other poster said in the sophomoric Veronica Belmont vs Chobot thread: "gamers are stupid." A lot of gamers are undersexed, unshaven, socially inept clouts that drool at the sight of a moderately attractive woman that is depicted as, or actually is, a gamer. That's how they get you to watch their video podcasts and the inevitable ads that generate revenue.

[quote name='Warlock TCK']I think that making the only voice in the gaming media be the typical geeky male only hurts the stigma around gamers. Girls play games too and I think it's interesting that websites are just now starting to realize this.

Girls like Jessica Chobot and Morgan Webb, while attractive (the former more so than the latter), do play games. Webb is always at every game convention in order to get her hands on the games and plays them with the boys.

Just because they have different bits and pieces doesn't mean that they're uninformed about the media they're covering.

But if they're just being put out there to look pretty, what makes them different from the poster girls that peddle liquor? Ultimately I think the answer lies in finding the right balance of beauty and knowledge. Just look at the girls at Destructoid. They're on the up and up about games and they're not bad lookin' either. (Case and point, Atheistium)[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing this is the person you're talking about? http://www.1up.com/do/my1Up?publicUserId=5668591

I find it very annoying for girls in this industry to make a big deal that they ARE in fact girls. Don't complain about separate treatment if you go out of your way to label yourself as a "girl gamer". Similarly, I immediately stop considering a girl's gaming opinion valid if she has pictures of herself all over her blog (see above).

[quote name='peteyrose']I find it very annoying for girls in this industry to make a big deal that they ARE in fact girls. Don't complain about separate treatment if you go out of your way to label yourself as a "girl gamer". Similarly, I immediately stop considering a girl's gaming opinion valid if she has pictures of herself all over her blog (see above).[/quote]You Sir, deserve a cookie. :applause:

Honestly, I don't mind hot girls talking about games stuff. I'll admit the the only reason I watch Cheat on G4 (which isn't a lot but still...) is because of Kristin Holt. I mean, I'd rather watch her tell me how to beat Popular Game X than go to IGN and read it. But at the same time, I wouldn't go out of my way to pay to see her show, like Sony wants with Veronica Belmonet and Qore.

Overall though, companies are overdoing it. I'm not going to watch a bunch of shows/clips/interviews just because it has an attractive female lead. If I'm bored or find the host particularly attractive, I might watch once in a while, but I'm not going to become an avid fan unless the show is that damn good. If the company wants a consistant, devoted fanbase, then it would probably be best to go for the truthful nerdy guy. A guy who people won't be embaressed to say "David Wom said a lot of good stuff about Popular Game X, I might actually get it since he knows what he's talking about."

No I am not taking about that lauren girl from 1up i have never even heard of her. I am talking about someone named Kristin.

anyone else miss g4tv.com?
woodfoy.JPG

[quote name='evildeadron']anyone else miss g4tv.com?[/quote]

I miss when it was called GameTime and was on Pseudo... although it turns out that has nothing to do with this discussion unlike your post.

[quote name='peteyrose']I'm guessing this is the person you're talking about? http://www.1up.com/do/my1Up?publicUserId=5668591

I find it very annoying for girls in this industry to make a big deal that they ARE in fact girls. Don't complain about separate treatment if you go out of your way to label yourself as a "girl gamer". Similarly, I immediately stop considering a girl's gaming opinion valid if she has pictures of herself all over her blog (see above).[/quote]

Why would having pictures of yourself make your opinion invalid?

I don't really follow any girls in the industry, because following people in the industry simply doesn't interest me. One girl's name off the top of my head - Leigh Alexander for Kotaku. Is she hot? I haven't a clue. If she is, she certainly doesn't flaunt it.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Why would having pictures of yourself make your opinion invalid?[/quote]Throwing pictures of oneself up somewhere doesn't throw out their opinion or gaming ability, per se. But neither does it go near towards validating their merit.

Video Gaming is one industry where when a female enters, she almost always makes a huge deal over the fact that zomgosh, she's a girl. :whee: Why should that even be a factor? When a person has skill or something intelligent to say, what they bring to the table will stand on it's own accord. If they don't, they have to resort to some crutch, in this case, biological differences. And that does a discredit to other women in the field who are able to hold their own without making an issue of what sex they were born, an element completely beyond their control.

Yesterday evening I went to ubisofts community site when I was looking for information about the End War beta and the first thing that I see is this.

FD_spotlight.jpg

[quote name='Ubi']The Frag Dolls are an all-female gaming team who is out to show the world that gaming isn’t just for the boys. Check out the Frag Dolls website for their latest blogs, news, and upcoming events.[/quote]
This is the sort of thing that makes me cringe. First, half of them are hideous (which to be fair is again something beyond their control), but the fact that they actually have a site for their own blogs and "news". News?

I dunno, I don't follow clans, high profile or otherwise. Maybe others go out to have their hair and make up done for a glamor shot to splash around online. But this is the kind of thing that embarrases me and makes me very cynical.

To be fair, they may be great. But the fact that the banner was their picture and the write up is that you can read their blogs, rather than mentioning their record or any competitions they've won, leads me to suspect that the most they have going for them is that they're all girls. Nice to look at if you're into that sort of thing, but not an actual achievement on any level.
FD_spotlight.jpgv

FD_spotlight.jpg

The Frag Dolls are an all-female gaming team who is out to show the world that gaming isn’t just for the boys.
Apparently it's for cheap whores too.

Sorry, but when your team uniform consists of matching shirts, lipstick, eye shadow, and mascara, we stop taking you seriously, because you're trying to sell something else at that point.

Come back with just the shirt, and then we'll talk. Too many women these days don't realize that the point of makeup is to make it look like you're not wearing any at all, not to turn your face into the color pallet in the paint section of Home Depot.

~HotShotX

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Warlock TCK']Yeahhhh. Trixie was kinda rough to look at, wasn't she? lol
[/quote]

That was not the part that really gets to me though, she also has an annoying personality! It drives me nuts to hear her talk.

[quote name='HotShotX']Apparently it's for cheap whores too.

Sorry, but when your team uniform consists of matching shirts, lipstick, eye shadow, and mascara, we stop taking you seriously, because you're trying to sell something else at that point.
[/quote]

Exactly. I really hate that overdone look so many women have in general. It certainly does not belong in the gaming circle, especially when some females are just trying to fit in and not be singled out.

[quote name='HotShotX']
Come back with just the shirt, and then we'll talk. Too many women these days don't realize that the point of makeup is to make it look like you're not wearing any at all, not to turn your face into the color pallet in the paint section of Home Depot.

~HotShotX[/quote]

:rofl:

I played against a couple of the Frag Dolls at Digital Life in 2006. Let me just tell you... They kick ass.

I agree that it's wrong to send pretty faces out there just to go on the novelty that they're girls in what appears to be a "boy's club." Just because they have different bits and pieces doesn't mean that the spotlight should be taken from other, possibly more able people in the industry, male or female.

About the comments concening the pictures on Ms. Wainwright's 1UP blog, I think that's more of a personal page rather than a page for business. I think she's only 21 and not a professional (yet).

This discussion is getting off topic. It is not how females look in the industry its about if they actually know what they are talking about. I dont want a hot girl who is fed info just to look good. I want girls "hot or not: who understand the industry and can have valid discussions.

the Frag Dolls are an EXCEPTION they ARE knowledgeable in the games they play and have skill higher than the normal player. I'm sure a lot of their flashy looks are to make them seem less daunting and keep stereotypical criticism away, my cousin games and everyone thinks shes a lesbian.

Sadly networks and websites bring these beautiful women along to catch more casual people, they figure "we can get johnny jack-off with this girl...and SuxoR will read it because he wants to know regardless of who delivers the content"

This thread reminded me of Killcreek. Although I wonder if many people reading this are even old enough to remember her. She was a plain looking nerd who became popular due to playing Quake online (probably because she was like the second girl to ever admit it). Then she hooked up with John Romero and got some fake tits (not necessarily in that order).

[quote name='HotShotX']Apparently it's for cheap whores too.

~HotShotX[/quote]

The Frag Girls are definitely a hybrid. They kicked me and my friend's asses on Rainbox Six at the ScreenBurn video game trade show during SXSW this past year. But when we posed for a pic with them, the second one from the right put her hand in my back pocket and her other arm around me. I'm not complaining, but it is obvious what they are trying to do/sell to the gamer public.

I thought Olivia Munn was pretty cool until one day she proved that she doesn't really respect gamers. Here's why;

It was that sex show with the hottest woman on the planet, Anna David, and some dude sent a "video mail" asking Olivia and Anna "how to get a girl."

Anna gave some insightful, pretty general advice, while Olivia....ughhh.

Olivia Munn literally said something along the lines of; "first of all, no woman likes a chubby guy,...or someone breathing as loud as you are all over them..." Some crap like that...

Now, although this may seem off-topic, my point here is; if they're just hiring some hot chick to read off of cue cards, I have no respect for her. I want to watch a chick that genuinely loves games and gamers. Olivia Munn proved right there that the mere thought of an overweight dude at his computer grosses her out...I can't imagine her absolute horror when a fat dude comes up to her and asks for her autograph.....

shyyyyyyyt.

[quote name='Simon D I']I thought Olivia Munn was pretty cool until one day she proved that she doesn't really respect gamers. Here's why;

It was that sex show with the hottest woman on the planet, Anna David, and some dude sent a "video mail" asking Olivia and Anna "how to get a girl."

Anna gave some insightful, pretty general advice, while Olivia....ughhh.

Olivia Munn literally said something along the lines of; "first of all, no woman likes a chubby guy,...or someone breathing as loud as you are all over them..." Some crap like that...

Now, although this may seem off-topic, my point here is; if they're just hiring some hot chick to read off of cue cards, I have no respect for her. I want to watch a chick that genuinely loves games and gamers. Olivia Munn proved right there that the mere thought of an overweight dude at his computer grosses her out...I can't imagine her absolute horror when a fat dude comes up to her and asks for her autograph.....

shyyyyyyyt.[/QUOTE]

Gamers don't have to be synonymous with fat people, even if it is a stereotype. Turning it around, I would be willing to be the guy wasn't asking "how do I get a fat girl," he was referring to a girl like Anna or Olivia.

[quote name='Zing']This thread reminded me of Killcreek. Although I wonder if many people reading this are even old enough to remember her. She was a plain looking nerd who became popular due to playing Quake online (probably because she was like the second girl to ever admit it). Then she hooked up with John Romero and got some fake tits (not necessarily in that order).[/quote]

omg... I remember that bitch. Clan Impulse 9 I believe... we pwned their asses back in college (I guess I'm dating myself).

Yeah, Killcreek ended up in a Playboy spread to show off those fakies.

bread's done
Back