Denis Dyack on 1up yours, discusses some interesting stuff.

His game wouldn't be getting anywhere near the negative press it's gotten if he just kept his mouth shut. The guy is like a walking PR nightmare, and a jackass to boot.

Discussing subjects with people who have the same interests as you = bad? Only if you have a product you are sure people aren't going to enjoy, I dont see quality games like HL2, SMG being ragged on endlessly.

I think at this point it's pretty safe to say he's lost it. I'm sorry but the game is looking like absolute shit and he has no one but himself and his team to blame after 10 years of working on this project.

It's pretty pathetic that a grown ass man whines and cries all over a message board, gets roasted and then goes on a publicity tour with a bullshit pseudo-intellectual construct about the decay of his society as his defense. SK is done.

I agree with some of the things that he says... but he says it in a way that makes it sound way more important than it really is and actually has nothing to do with Too Human specifically. 90% of what he talks about here has absolutely nothing to do with his game. He does have a point though that there is a difference between a preview and a review, and even though the release is soon it isn't fair to pass final judgment until they're ready to be judged. I guess it is difficult not to give impressions though since it is a "complete" version of the game, so they brought it on themselves.

[quote name='Mudpuddle']I agree with some of the things that he says... but he says it in a way that makes it sound way more important than it really is and actually has nothing to do with Too Human specifically. 90% of what he talks about here has absolutely nothing to do with his game. He does have a point though that there is a difference between a preview and a review, and even though the release is soon it isn't fair to pass final judgment until they're ready to be judged. I guess it is difficult not to give impressions though since it is a "complete" version of the game, so they brought it on themselves.[/quote]

Same here, I actually agree with some of his ideas and his social commentaries, but when he uses this to defend his game, you know this isn't a smart move.

Dyack is an idiot. How about he stop complaining, and fix the animations in his game.

1zlbvx3.gif

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Dyack is an idiot. How about he stop complaining, and fix the animations in his game.

[/QUOTE]

Why do your job when you can talk about other, completely irrelevant things to move away from the topic?

I fairly sure Too Human will suck (or be mediocre at best) and Dyack will just blame society's inability to appreciate Too Human.

He still comes off as an elitist prick IMO. I don't really care what society you were asked to join, Denis. and I'm sure a lot of people agree with that.

I'm pretty surprised the every single comment so far has been negative. A couple of people mentioned that '90% percent of what he talked about' wasn't about his game (recalls section dedicated to meaningless statistics), and you're right, but I'm pretty sure that was the point! He was simply trying to get across the fact that people aren't accountable for their actions on the internet, don't have to follow any ethical guidelines, and how this is both bad for society in general, individuals, and his game; i.e. people making judgments regarding Too Human despite never having played it. (This alone is enough evidence to support the fact that he wasn't there to talk about his game.) Everything he touches on is thoughtful, and he's obviously put a lot of consideration into this and I think he had a lot of good points; moving away from meaningless and off the cuff 'certified bat shit insane' type comments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chacrana's got some... interesting comments about Dyack, I'll tell ya' that.
I still remember his outburst on Uno that one night.

[quote name='Dyson']His game wouldn't be getting anywhere near the negative press it's gotten if he just kept his mouth shut. The guy is like a walking PR nightmare, and a jackass to boot.[/QUOTE]

Lol, have you even seen the videos of Too Human? It looks like shit and deserves negative press. Instead of worrying about a trilogy or suing Epic, they should've focused on their current game. The cutscenes and animation in this game are just pathetic and nothing to rave about being *epic*. I heard the story sucks too and the game lags when too many mobs are around.

I agree Dyack is a jackass, I hope Too Human bombs so this guy can STFU.

I want to see Too Human succeed, but Dyack needs to stay off of message boards and focus on his game. There is too much attention on Dyacks antics and not enough focus on his game.

[quote name='gokou36']Lol, have you even seen the videos of Too Human? It looks like shit and deserves negative press. Instead of worrying about a trilogy or suing Epic, they should've focused on their current game. The cutscenes and animation in this game are just pathetic and nothing to rave about being *epic*. I heard the story sucks too and the game lags when too many mobs are around.

I agree Dyack is a jackass, I hope Too Human bombs so this guy can STFU.[/QUOTE]
Seriously. The game looks terrible.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muQ9PoyYGdk[/media]

It's not often that I actually WANT a game to fail. But this is definitely one of those times. The arrogance of this guy combined with the, what's looking to be, poor quality of the game is just something that really bothers me. I'm looking forward to the news sites and the shit storm that comes from this guy. Maybe they'll sue like Atari?

is it just me or does anyone else this game looks ok? I mean, i know it's probably not gonna be AAA, but it's not going to be a steaming pile of garbage.

I don't think the game looks that bad, but that's not to say I'm afraid that it's going to fall flat on its face.

With all this going on, it reminds me of when Jaffe got all hot and heavy when calling all cars got bad reviews, then he came out, threw a hissy fit and said reviewers don't know a good game when they see one and blah, blah, and the game ended up bombing in the end.

Way to alienate the people you need to buy your game. Remember when Silicon Knights made Eternal Darkness? Yeah, that was badass.

Also, this guy must have really got his ass handed to him on NEOGAF.

[quote name='as50193']is it just me or does anyone else this game looks ok? I mean, i know it's probably not gonna be AAA, but it's not going to be a steaming pile of garbage.[/quote]

yeah, but just okay. The animation is completely atrocious, the story looks dumb, but that's like every game on the 360. It sounds like a mindless game for when you're bored with everything else. and a cheap clearance price is a must. but really, I'd rather just replay Titan Quest or Diablo....I may even rather play fucking Hellgate, depends on how bad Too Human is :lol:

Reality's Fringe;4571505 said:
Way to alienate the people you need to buy your game. Remember when Silicon Knights made Eternal Darkness? Yeah, that was badass.

Also, this guy must have really got his ass handed to him on NEOGAF.

The impetus for this rant was a post he made himself on Gaf-- he was asking people if they were "for" or "against" the game (ummm..game isn't even out yet, douche), then said something about how it'll get at least a 90 metacritic rating. He goes there acting like an ass and got treated like an ass...but no, it's society's fault :roll: so really, he handed his own ass to himself.

If he would've kept his mouth shut, it would never be mentioned after release...but that might be part of his plan--no such thing as bad publicity?

[quote name='ninja dog']yeah, but just okay. The animation is completely atrocious, the story looks dumb, but that's like every game on the 360. It sounds like a mindless game for when you're bored with everything else. and a cheap clearance price is a must. but really, I'd rather just replay Titan Quest or Diablo....I may even rather play fucking Hellgate, depends on how bad Too Human is :lol:
[/quote]

Actually, the story seems interesting considering SK made Eternal Darkness and his ideas about ethics in business (which he agrees that ethical decisions in business MUST be made) and some other stuff he made in the 1up podcast, i think it might be decent, like how Assassin's creed's plot with "memories" wasn't actually bad.

And what's with all these "the animation is terrible" comments? From what I've seen, it look normal, it doesn't look "OMG PEICE OF GARBAGE" like everyone says.

[quote name='as50193']And what's with all these "the animation is terrible" comments? From what I've seen, it look normal, it doesn't look "OMG PEICE OF GARBAGE" like everyone says.[/quote]

Just look at the scene with queercakes in the gold armor carrying his lover away from the cradle of techno world or whatever. He's got no weight to him and is basically floating. His free hand looks like a goddamn oar. That guardian broad is pretty terrible looking too.

Also, take a look at baldy's hands when he's fighting the robot dog and his feet when he's running at it with his sword drawn. Atrocious. Human beings do not move like that. It's a bit pathetic that SK couldn't even shell out some coin for mo-cap when even games like No More Heroes (very small budget) have the money for it.

Even the Iron Man cutscenes look better than this hot garbage. SK is done.

The animation has the same issue that MMO's do - it's very arbitrary. Your character has a swing animation that never actually hits the enemies, and enemies have very boring, canned reactions to being hit. The interactions between the character and enemies/the environment just don't mesh as well as they need to to look polished.

I found the interview to be pretty interesting. He's trying to start a discussion about how technology has changed society. He's a very smart and has some great thoughts, but I think that he should communicate those ideas through the game instead of engaging in forum wars to get his points across.

[quote name='as50193']Actually, the story seems interesting considering SK made Eternal Darkness and his ideas about ethics in business (which he agrees that ethical decisions in business MUST be made) and some other stuff he made in the 1up podcast, i think it might be decent, like how Assassin's creed's plot with "memories" wasn't actually bad.

And what's with all these "the animation is terrible" comments? From what I've seen, it look normal, it doesn't look "OMG PEICE OF GARBAGE" like everyone says.[/quote]

sorry, I just don't buy game plots like that. Futuristic norse mythology = bye bye. I don't always go for campy plots, even if, rather, especially if they have "deep" underlying meanings. if I wanted to learn about business ethics, I would not play Eternal Darkness. and apparently Eternal Darkness didn't have a section about how to manicure your public image so as to not make yourself and your business look bat shit insane. I seriously feel terrible for anyone who works at that company right now.

If you can't see the bad animation, I can't help you.

The guy does that slow, not painful-looking hammer smash animation, then fucking floats up into the air with about 2 frames of jumping animation, and does the EXACT same hammer motion with his feet and legs positioned as if he's standing on the ground! :rofl: More so, the enemy just kinda flinches and doesn't look like he's getting hit at all.

I mean, this is seriously the worst animation I've seen in a game, especially a big budget game, in a long time.

I tried listening to the portion with Dyack, and after 10 minutes of him talking about God knows what, I turned it off. We get it, don't judge a preview build of a game. Did you really need to tell us what the fuck you've been reading lately?

[quote name='ninja dog']The animation is completely atrocious, the story looks dumb, but that's like every game on the 360.[/quote]:roll: Thanks for proving Dennis right, you turd.

:lol: glad to see I'm not the only one who thought the game was animated very badly. worse than old stop motion stuff.

plus, every time denis talks, he's already annoying. such a huge perfect stereotype of the type of guys who live in their mom's basement cleaning their comic books.

I just watched him on the 1up show... further proof the game has weak animations. further proof dyack has weak animations.

Just listened today. I'm sure he's right on most of what he says but, trying to put morality and human kindness into forums (especially neogaf) is as futile as moving a mountain by blowing on it.

I really wanted to like too human but that was when it was on the gamecube. Now I'm unsure.

how can you not not not not love this face?

Denis_dyack_on_too_human.jpg

I've seen him talk about "art as games" in a discussion interview and man... everyone was on point except him.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']:roll: Thanks for proving Dennis right, you turd.[/quote]

go play some madden on your 360 with an intercooler attached and monster hdmi cables, joe bestbuy.

Tales of Symphonia is the best game ever. I love teenaged silent protagonists.

that's how I'm supposed to respond, right?

[quote name='homeland']Just listened today. I'm sure he's right on most of what he says but, trying to put morality and human kindness into forums (especially neogaf) is as futile as moving a mountain by blowing on it.[/quote]
After all his talk at NeoGAF the staff challenged to a bet which involved the losing donating to a charity of the winner's choice. The GAF staff is trying pretty hard to keep this from turning into a horrible experience. Dyack is pretty much being a dick after all of his undelivered promises.

Also didn't help his cause because that Wired article came out about the same time as the For/Against thread.

It just disappoints me that people could listen to what he has to say and still same the game looks terrible, he doesnt care, that isn't his point, he is just trying to make a comment on how we view games and game journalism, and that he feels that games are becoming a objective thing and are just becoming part of a statistic. If games are ever going to appreciated as an art form, then we need to realize that what is a good game to one person is not necessarly a good game to another, and a game isnt a number or a percent on game rankings or metacritic

[quote name='tomscab']It just disappoints me that people could listen to what he has to say and still same the game looks terrible, he doesnt care, that isn't his point, he is just trying to make a comment on how we view games and game journalism, and that he feels that games are becoming a objective thing and are just becoming part of a statistic. If games are ever going to appreciated as an art form, then we need to realize that what is a good game to one person is not necessarly a good game to another, and a game isnt a number or a percent on game rankings or metacritic[/QUOTE]
Too Human still looks like crap.

[quote name='tomscab']It just disappoints me that people could listen to what he has to say and still same the game looks terrible, he doesnt care, that isn't his point, he is just trying to make a comment on how we view games and game journalism, and that he feels that games are becoming a objective thing and are just becoming part of a statistic. If games are ever going to appreciated as an art form, then we need to realize that what is a good game to one person is not necessarly a good game to another, and a game isnt a number or a percent on game rankings or metacritic[/QUOTE]

Err... that's exactly what goes on in the movie industry, and that's definitely accepted as an art form.

[quote name='tomscab']It just disappoints me that people could listen to what he has to say and still same the game looks terrible, he doesnt care, that isn't his point, he is just trying to make a comment on how we view games and game journalism, and that he feels that games are becoming a objective thing and are just becoming part of a statistic. If games are ever going to appreciated as an art form, then we need to realize that what is a good game to one person is not necessarly a good game to another, and a game isnt a number or a percent on game rankings or metacritic[/quote]

Funny that I never watch a movie now without checking out its rating on IMDB (low ratings don't stop me from seeing movies I'm interested in although they are frequently justified...yes I'm looking at you Ghost Rider), and I use the ratings to find movies when I want to watch something but I don't know what.

The real problem in my mind is that the gaming audience for the most part is seen as monolithic, yet the content varies much more widely than in many genres including movies; I would compare it more to music. Having the same person review a JRPG, a racing sim, a FPS, and a puzzle game is crazy in my mind, similar to having the same reviewer for classical, jazz, Broadway and heavy metal CDs. While I enjoy all of those types of music, I could never be knowledgeable and experienced enough to talk (or write) satisfyingly about the values of all of them.

[quote name='Chacrana']Err... that's exactly what goes on in the movie industry, and that's definitely accepted as an art form.[/QUOTE]

Hm, I'm trying to work out how your comment relates to tomscabs', however I'm also trying to understand what tomscab was saying in the first place.

There are two directions one can go with that (the subjectiveness/objectiveness of a review). Reviews can either be objective, or at least as objective as possible, and independently compare and contrast elements of games (graphics, sound, etc.) that are consistent across platform, generation, and game itself. Or reviews can be subjective, in which someone - that hopefully the community trusts - not only appeals to the readers reason (graphics, sound, etc.), but also their emotions.

In the end, I'm not quite sure if Denis Dyack meant to spark debate over whether or not games were art or not, but the fact that communities like NeoGaf elicit an almost 'thoughtless' mentality when it comes to the relationship between ethics, morals and responsibilities.

At least personally, listening to what he had to say made me realise that part of the solution to a peculiar situation in which a game reviewed to be '90 or below' is considered to be 'bad', is a more thoughtful attitude towards how we all talk about and reflect on games.

[quote name='happy']Funny that I never watch a movie now without checking out its rating on IMDB (low ratings don't stop me from seeing movies I'm interested in although they are frequently justified...yes I'm looking at you Ghost Rider), and I use the ratings to find movies when I want to watch something but I don't know what.

The real problem in my mind is that the gaming audience for the most part is seen as monolithic, yet the content varies much more widely than in many genres including movies; I would compare it more to music. Having the same person review a JRPG, a racing sim, a FPS, and a puzzle game is crazy in my mind, similar to having the same reviewer for classical, jazz, Broadway and heavy metal CDs. While I enjoy all of those types of music, I could never be knowledgeable and experienced enough to talk (or write) satisfyingly about the values of all of them.[/QUOTE]

That's a really good way to put it.

[quote name='Chacrana']Err... that's exactly what goes on in the movie industry, and that's definitely accepted as an art form.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but only in recent years and most true film buffs will tell you it's part of what's wrong with the industry. People now flock to Rotten Tomatoes or some other site to determine what they want to see. They check the newspaper (or Internet) Monday morning to see what the big box office winner was. Some people are far more obsessed with numbers surrounding films than they are with the films themselves.

I'm not defending this guy, but arguing that this is an acceptable direction for the game industry to follow is flawed.

bread's done
Back