Rondo of Swords (DS) $19.99 at Amazon

Edit: Gah, read it wrong, nevermind. Both together are 59.98, though that was too good to be true.

Dunno if anyone else noticed this but on my screen it's got it "Buy these together and save" with The World Ends With You, total $39.99 with free shipping. Considering that's regular retail for TWEWY it doesn't get much better than that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder how ever does Atlus stay afloat. I mean they always print a very small amount of copies per game and these games tend to be punishingly difficult yet one niche group is all they need? Thats amazing how they are still doing wel.

[quote name='darkclawsofchaos']I wonder how ever does Atlus stay afloat. I mean they always print a very small amount of copies per game and these games tend to be punishingly difficult yet one niche group is all they need? Thats amazing how they are still doing wel.[/quote]
That's because they sell tons of their games in Asia.

The small print means they wont have unsold product on the shelf. And it has nothing to do with Atlus Japan, as Atlus USA published more games than their Japanese counterpart. In fact for the last year or so Atlus USA published the more RPGs in the US than any other publisher, including Square Enix

indeed, their main genre is jrpg (or jsrpg plus any variant of the two above)-I think that says enough where they do their business, and any additional copy sold in US, effectively speaking, is that additional profit-all the other costs have been pretty much amortized during the few years between the initial release of the games and their translated counterparts

[quote name='62t']The small print means they wont have unsold product on the shelf. And it has nothing to do with Atlus Japan, as Atlus USA published more games than their Japanese counterpart. In fact for the last year or so Atlus USA published the more RPGs in the US than any other publisher, including Square Enix[/quote]

Plus their fans are their own little viral marketers so not many print ads seem to run keeping costs way down,

[quote name='gotrice415510']the hardest game on ds[/QUOTE]

[quote name='addicted2games']yesiree![/QUOTE]

All of this is why I won't touch this with a 10 foot pole. At least not at >$5-10.

Just picked up that Level 5 Joan of Arc (can't remember the real name) for $10, so hopefully it's not impossible...

Jeez, the game isn't that hard, it's just different.

If you go in playing it like any other SRPG, you will get your ass handed to you. You just have to adapt to some different strategies, and once you do that, the game is easily manageable, though still challenging.

[quote name='Wolfpup']All of this is why I won't touch this with a 10 foot pole. At least not at >$5-10.

Just picked up that Level 5 Joan of Arc (can't remember the real name) for $10, so hopefully it's not impossible...[/QUOTE]

Aside from the fact that Rondo of Swords probably have a much smaller print than Jeanne D'Arc

Great game, and it's not horribly difficult once you realize you can constantly restart levels while keeping all the exp. and levels you've earned, so leveling up characters is rather easy.

i rented it off gamefly and played it for 2 weeks before sending it back ... got up to Map 20 right before the story splits in 2 different paths and sent it back. it took me probally a good 22 hours to get to map 20..

Path A has like 35 maps and Path B has 32???

so your looking at least a good 40+ hour game... one thing that bug me was it was VERY VERY HarD then for 5-7 maps it was a cake walk then BOOM next 2 maps INSANE HARD then Once again next 3 to 4 maps cake walk and BOOM INSANE Repeat

Great game glad i got it for 13 bucks though i probally be lucky to open it by xmas

EO 2 and FFT2 DS are both sucking up all of my time and in 3 weeks NINJA 2 and FF4 comesout for the DS OUCH

Hmm, I'm all for a nice solid ass whuppin, especially if it's on the DS, but I'll take the risk of it going out of stock by waiting for it to drop a bit. If I lose out, oh well, but I'm pretty sure my patience will pay off.

[quote name='62t']Aside from the fact that Rondo of Swords probably have a much smaller print than Jeanne D'Arc[/QUOTE]

Okay, but I don't really care how big a print run was in terms of whether I buy it.

[quote name='zionoverfire']Great game, and it's not horribly difficult once you realize you can constantly restart levels while keeping all the exp. and levels you've earned, so leveling up characters is rather easy.[/QUOTE]

Now that's cool!

[quote name='Wolfpup']Okay, but I don't really care how big a print run was in terms of whether I buy it.

[/QUOTE]

Right but you are saying you will buy it with another price drop, and the low print could mean the game will not get another price drop.

[quote name='62t']The small print means they wont have unsold product on the shelf. And it has nothing to do with Atlus Japan, as Atlus USA published more games than their Japanese counterpart. In fact for the last year or so Atlus USA published the more RPGs in the US than any other publisher, including Square Enix[/quote]

[quote name='newlu']That's because they sell tons of their games in Asia.[/quote]

[quote name='jacknicklson']Plus their fans are their own little viral marketers so not many print ads seem to run keeping costs way down,[/quote]

[quote name='jererjerer']indeed, their main genre is jrpg (or jsrpg plus any variant of the two above)-I think that says enough where they do their business, and any additional copy sold in US, effectively speaking, is that additional profit-all the other costs have been pretty much amortized during the few years between the initial release of the games and their translated counterparts[/quote]

Ok, that explains a lot, I was really curious how they can remain in the business like that, especially with all the big studios hogging the lime light

[quote name='Wolfpup']All of this is why I won't touch this with a 10 foot pole. At least not at >$5-10.

Just picked up that Level 5 Joan of Arc (can't remember the real name) for $10, so hopefully it's not impossible...[/quote]

Jeanne D'Arc was pretty easy. Your standard SRPG there, so no worries! It had some great production value (ANIME CARTOONS!!! WOO!!!) and the story was well done, too!

But I agree with you about not touching Rondo with a 10 ft pole - I'm more casual and don't need a rough challenge in my RPGs. Plus, the game looks WAAAY overhyped, as the internet vids of it didn't really impress. Just my opinion. :roll:

It definitely has a steep initial learning curve. And if you miss unlocking a few of the key characters early on, you are screwed later. But you once you get beyond that, it's a great game. A lot more to it than I thought there would be. Who'd want to play a strategy game where you didn't have to retry levels to beat it? I highly recommend this game to anyone who likes strategy games. High replay value.

[quote name='iceblast21']Jeanne D'Arc was pretty easy. Your standard SRPG there, so no worries! It had some great production value (ANIME CARTOONS!!! WOO!!!) and the story was well done, too!

But I agree with you about not touching Rondo with a 10 ft pole - I'm more casual and don't need a rough challenge in my RPGs. Plus, the game looks WAAAY overhyped, as the internet vids of it didn't really impress. Just my opinion. :roll:[/quote]

It's cool that you don't want a challenge, but it is WAAAY overhyped because of a video you watched? I don't know that you can appreciate why people are hyping it up in the first place since you don't care for a game that can challenge you.

[quote name='zionoverfire']Great game, and it's not horribly difficult once you realize you can constantly restart levels while keeping all the exp. and levels you've earned, so leveling up characters is rather easy.[/quote]

And how exactly do you do that? I've died twice and didnt have any option of re-starting a level....if went to the game over screen and I have to re-load...

[quote name='62t']Right but you are saying you will buy it with another price drop, and the low print could mean the game will not get another price drop.[/QUOTE]

Gotcha. Odds are I'll never play it then. Just saying I wouldn't unless it was cheap enough (no way I'd consider it for over $10).

[quote name='iceblast21']Jeanne D'Arc was pretty easy. Your standard SRPG there, so no worries! It had some great production value (ANIME CARTOONS!!! WOO!!!) and the story was well done, too!

But I agree with you about not touching Rondo with a 10 ft pole - I'm more casual and don't need a rough challenge in my RPGs. Plus, the game looks WAAAY overhyped, as the internet vids of it didn't really impress. Just my opinion. :roll:[/QUOTE]

Sounds great! Easy and high production values makes me happy :)

[quote name='xxtheycallmedxx']And how exactly do you do that? I've died twice and didnt have any option of re-starting a level....if went to the game over screen and I have to re-load...[/quote]
You have to restart BEFORE you die.

I forget exactly how you do it, but it's right there in the manual.

The whole game is based on the battle restart mechanic, I would say it's likely impossible to beat without it.

I just played the first level and the learning curve is much higher than similar games like Fire Emblem. You attack enemy by moving through them, and you can attack multiple enmies in one move. At the same time you can't attack someone if they got their back against the wall. Very deep game that requires a lot of thinking. Also early on (like in the first stage) there are some missable items that are very items that will help you a lot later on, so it might be a good idea to use a faq to get started.

bread's done
Back