Is anyone else tired of the trolls?

Weedy649

CAGiversary!
Feedback
27 (100%)
Im not exactly sure if this is in the right forum but i just have to say im tired of people who constantly troll. Although we all tend to do it DennisDFat seems to be in just about every thread dissing whatever someone else said. He never seems to add anything positive and i dont see why nothing is done about that. Im not sure if im the only one that feels like this but what can be done to keep trolls like him down?

One of my many New Year's Resolutions is....
MORE BANNINGS!

EDIT: and more detailed rules for the forums

i think its annoying when thread crapping happens... i dont know if thats the same thing as trolling (not sure what that term really means)

[quote name='CheapyD']One of my many New Year's Resolutions is....
MORE BANNINGS![/quote]

sounds like a good resolution to me :lol:

MORE BANNINGS![/quote]

Well that certainly fulfills a lot of my christmas wishes. Honestly, I 100% agree with OP, DennisDFat has used it up. I don't think I've come across one single post by him within the last month that wasn't jsut blatantly trolling.

MORE BANNINGS!

EDIT: and more detailed rules for the forums[/quote]

Werd Cheapy be reppin the mad skills of the NYC mofos......sorry.I approve.

[quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='CheapyD']One of my many New Year's Resolutions is....
MORE BANNINGS![/quote]

sounds like a good resolution to me :lol:[/quote]

:D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol:

Being a smartass is fun. Being an elitist and trying to squash other peoples' personalities becuase you don't like them must be fun too. Anytime somebody invades a topic with an ofhand remark they're labled a Troll. How 'bout getting rid of people who constantly play the "Troll" card ?

Besides, some of the threads NEED a few trolls to liven things up because a few people take videogames a little too seriously.

Opinions are like assholes, I've got one too !

Hey,
Click this link for a free game!

www.imjustkidding.com/referral/me

Actually, maybe I'm reading the wrong threads, but Denis's name doesn't jump out in my mind as a big deal.

Rule 1: ignore the trolls.
people like that are doing it to either get attention, or to get a rise out of somebody. Here he is, mentioned in the first post of a thread that is pretty much *dedicated* to him. exactly what he was looking for.

there's a difference between being a troll and being a smartass. Sometimes being the smartass does get annoying, I'm on another board where someone's entire rep is that of the smartass. yes, it does get annoying. I just ignore him. There's always the class clown.

MORE BANNINGS!

EDIT: and more detailed rules for the forums[/quote]

WOOT! Burn teh trolls! :twisted:

[quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='CheapyD']One of my many New Year's Resolutions is....
MORE BANNINGS![/quote]

Agreed.

Personally, I have sort of gotten used to DennisDFat's comments. They aren't all the time and they are fairly consistent, to the point where you actually predict what he is going to say. He isn't one of the totally flamers, etc. In the beginning I did think that he was but I guess after time he kind of wore on me, but I don't know. I really don't see him as part of the problem. I will agree with the majority that something needs to be done about the constant falming, harrasing, etc. But as we do filter the good apples from the bad ones, we should take care to make sure that we truly get rid of the bad ones and not the ones that we just dislike.

Well i do tend to ignore them but what makes it a bigger deal then just people being assholes is that many times good topics are turned into flame wars because of the "rise" they give to people. Then you have all off topic flaming and i personally hate reading threads i make to see people start to argue because of some dumb comment that just ruins the thread making 2 out of like 4 pages of the thread useless(just an example)

I've said it before and I'll say it here. Unless someone does something really bad (like MorganWebbLover did), you kind of just have to put up with their personality and move on. In terms of "useless posts", don't even get me started. If you're going to start judging (and banning) people on the content of their posts, then I don't see how you can't start anywhere but the OTTs. I don't see how you can say that one form of BS is any worse than another.

BTW, I think that better defined forum rules are a great thing. If you could also Cheapy, somehow make it so that new signups have to read a mini-faq of sorts (saying that you can see what acronyms are by hovering over them, etc).

GREAT! personally im sick of the bastards..always with their smug looks and googly eyes, GOOD RIDDENCE!!

tc%20troll_small.jpg

[quote name='Weedy649']Well i do tend to ignore them but what makes it a bigger deal then just people being assholes is that many times good topics are turned into flame wars because of the "rise" they give to people. Then you have all off topic flaming and i personally hate reading threads i make to see people start to argue because of some dumb comment that just ruins the thread making 2 out of like 4 pages of the thread useless(just an example)[/quote]

Good point. But if everyone ignored the thread crappers, they'd stop eventually. I know that'll never happen though cause sometimes it's hard to always ignore it.

hey, ive been around for a while on the boards, but I dont think I'm as well known as i could be. Can someone make a thread about how terrible a member I am so people will start to recognize me? I will be happy to insinuate that someone is gay or make a few prejudiced comments if thats what it takes.

jalu6 is a horrible person who has differing views and tastes in video games than I do and has considered making comments about my sexual preference as to why I am different. He must be dealt with swiftly or else I will have to make a thread about it.

[quote name='jalu6']hey, ive been around for a while on the boards, but I dont think I'm as well known as i could be. Can someone make a thread about how terrible a member I am so people will start to recognize me? I will be happy to insinuate that someone is gay or make a few prejudiced comments if thats what it takes.[/quote]

And he's from Jersey, for god's sake. Not to mention he cheats at Rainbow Six! Buuuuurrrn him! BUUUURRRRRNNNN HIM!!!

[quote name='Trakan'][quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='CheapyD']One of my many New Year's Resolutions is....
MORE BANNINGS![/quote]

Agreed.[/quote]
Sounds good to me too, but...

Only about 25% of people actually follow-through with their New Years resolutions.
:wink:

[quote name='WildWop'][quote name='jalu6']hey, ive been around for a while on the boards, but I dont think I'm as well known as i could be. Can someone make a thread about how terrible a member I am so people will start to recognize me? I will be happy to insinuate that someone is gay or make a few prejudiced comments if thats what it takes.[/quote]

And he's from Jersey, for god's sake. Not to mention he cheats at Rainbow Six! Buuuuurrrn him! BUUUURRRRRNNNN HIM!!![/quote]

yeah, have i mentioned how much i hate I-talians? I'm surprised Wildwop can even hold an xbox controller with all that grease that probably drips down from his hair.

Although I seldom engage these morons, I find that posting this when thread crappers go into topics is most amusing...

hah21uj.gif

I already gave DenisDFat one. If anyone else wants to use it, feel free.

I have another one that is better IMO but it is down at the moment. I'll post it soon as it is back up.

Hey, he's not a *total* troll/threadcrapper...why, on that search page, I saw a full one post like this:
"Viewtiful Joe isn;t that bad."
Coming from him, that's equivalent to
"Viewtiful Joe is the best game ever!"

What gets me is not just the presence of trolls/threadcrappers, but how *uncreative* they are.
Sucks
Sucks
Sucks
Dummy
Moron

Wow, you're really stretching there, let me give you a thesaurus. If you're going to add nothing but threadcraps, at least make them *entertaining*. Smartasses are entertaining/funny, loser trolling threadcrappers are repetitive and unfunny.

I too also hate trolls........always trying to take my money when all I wanna do is cross the bridge.......damn them, damn them all to fucking hell.

Ummmm, yeah.

Its funny. I hear about DennisDfat's name come up in the past but I never see his posts. Then again, I never read the Gamecube forum posts and the Handheld forum posts.

Its seem that he doesnt own an Xbox......

[quote name='Xevious']Its funny. I hear about DennisDfat's name come up in the past but I never see his posts. Then again, I never read the Gamecube forum posts and the Handheld forum posts.[/quote]

Yeah, I just thought he died since he stopped posting in most forums.

for the love of jebus, it's just a message board!. Don't like someones post, ignore it, because a week from now you wont even remember what the ass hat said. Making whole topics because you don't like someone on a message board is stupid. Talk to one of the admins if this tickles your ass so much. It's pretty sad when you get so emotional about some person you don't even know about. Get over it and move on..

[quote name='sisco1986']for the love of jebus, it's just a message board!. Don't like someones post, ignore it, because a week from now you wont even remember what the ass hat said. Making whole topics because you don't like someone on a message board is stupid. Talk to one of the admins if this tickles your ass so much. It's pretty sad when you get so emotional about some person you don't even know about. Get over it and move on..[/quote]

True dat. It's like, the sun won't come out unless the crowd start this, cause if it was my choice, you'd all post in darkness. Similarly, when dealing with "trolls" the best bet is to shoot the beasts with a long arrow and then study Imhotep to be a strong Pharoah.

[quote name='sisco1986'] Making whole topics because you don't like someone on a message board is stupid. Talk to one of the admins if this tickles your ass so much. [/quote]

Actually making whole topics is a valid thing to do, especially in a forum named "CAG news AND Feedback". This is the equivalent of talking to the admins. They want feedback about anything here and CheapyD himself came here, read the topic, and even commented on it.

In general I ignore trolls but there are some here that need to be dealt with because they are habitual trolls. It would be different if it were just a few incidents but reading Denis' posts is like a handbook on how to troll.

[quote name='Journey']I too also hate trolls........always trying to take my money when all I wanna do is cross the bridge.......damn them, damn them all to shaq-fuing hell.

Ummmm, yeah.[/quote]

And they're always grumpy and make you solve their silly riddle.

[note: previous joke will probably make sense only to parents of 2-6 year olds].

Sometimes trolling can be a little amusing, case in point DDF. The one thing that many won't admit regarding DDF is that, he's usually right on the money. He is the CAG Id, ready and willing to say just exactly what his thoughts are, without concern for what the others will think.

Another personal case for me was that crazy little gamefreak guy who made the "best bands EVER" poll. Near the end of the thread he lost his dan mind and starting attacking everything in sight. It was clearly account suicide, but it was still pretty amusing to me, even though I was in the crosshairs. His PMs were pretty amusing too.

[quote name='dtcarson']Hey, he's not a *total* troll/threadcrapper...why, on that search page, I saw a full one post like this:
"Viewtiful Joe isn;t that bad."
Coming from him, that's equivalent to
"Viewtiful Joe is the best game ever!"
[/quote]

:rofl:

That's so true.

I agree with the OP. Trolls, annoying people, and asshats are the main reason why I dont post here as much. That DDF guy doesn't bother me, since I know everything he says is just gonna be "_______ sucks". What really gets on my nerves are people that crap in other people's trade lists. I could make a list of people like this, but that wouldn't be fair.

IMHO DennisDfat is not a troll. His opinion is gay (that everything sucks) but at least he has an opinion. Most of the post I have seen he just gives his opinion then leaves.
I may be wrong but DennisDfat is not the problem. (I have been wrong before, I once stood up for MWL before he started with the hate speach and obvious trolling. Sorry Defender)

troll from dictionary.com #2.

v.,n. 1. [From the Usenet group alt.folklore.urban] To
utter a posting on Usenet designed to attract predictable
responses or flames; or, the post itself. Derives from the phrase
"trolling for newbies" which in turn comes from mainstream
"trolling", a style of fishing in which one trails bait through a
likely spot hoping for a bite. The well-constructed troll is a post
that induces lots of newbies and flamers to make themselves look
even more clueless than they already do, while subtly conveying to
the more savvy and experienced that it is in fact a deliberate
troll. If you don't fall for the joke, you get to be in on it. See
also YHBT. 2. An individual who chronically trolls in sense 1;
regularly posts specious arguments, flames or personal attacks to a
newsgroup, discussion list, or in email for no other purpose than to
annoy someone or disrupt a discussion. Trolls are recognizable by
the fact that the have no real interest in learning about the topic
at hand - they simply want to utter flame bait. Like the ugly
creatures they are named after, they exhibit no redeeming
characteristics, and as such, they are recognized as a lower form of
life on the net, as in, "Oh, ignore him, he's just a troll." 3.
[Berkeley] Computer lab monitor. A popular campus job for CS
students. Duties include helping newbies and ensuring that lab
policies are followed. Probably so-called because it involves
lurking in dark cavelike corners.

We should bann people who use the term "thread crapper".

I am so sick of this CAG fad where anything you subjectively don't like is labeled as "thread crapping".

And like it was already mentioned - if we are going to get rid of pointless posts then we need to start with the off-topic board and the OTT's

Saying,"I don't like trolls" is one thing. Saying,"I don't like DenisDFat" is another thing. Calling DenisDFat a troll is a third thing.

Not liking trolls is a recurrent theme and every so often somebody starts a thread complaining about how obnoxious people are ruining the site. We all take turns saying,"Oh you can always ignore posts you don't like" and "Well, sure, but things are really getting out of hand!" yadda yadda yadda. Oddly enough, most of the participants are people who've been around for a while but don't seem to mind repeating things over and over again.

Rather than trading cliched posts with y'all, I'd like to say to the OP:
nobody likes trolls and we all have people we don't like on this site. It's perfectly natural; what are the odds that everybody would think everyone else here was swell? We ALL have people here who we think of as idiots who detract from the site. It's subjective and better left as it is, unless this place turns into a popularity contest. DenisDFat annoys you? More power to you. Dislike him to your heart's content and feel free to badmouth him. You don't like trolls? Join the club. You want to accuse Denis of being a troll? Fine, he's a troll. Starting a thread to get people to agree with you that he's a troll is....what? What do you hope to accomplish? That enough people will slap their foreheads and exclaim"Great Scott he's right. I should email a moderator and ask that he be banned!"? If he'd crossed the line, someone would've banned him. The guy with his finger on the button knows when the line has been crossed.

This sort of thread is the seed for popularity contests. A bud with good intentions, but which (in my longwinded opinion) should be nipped.

[quote name='Scrubking']And like it was already mentioned - if we are going to get rid of pointless posts then we need to start with the off-topic board and the OTT's[/quote]

Why the OTTs? I'm sure I will come off as biased when I say this, but the OTTs do no harm whatsoever. The Off-Topic board exists as a place away from the tension of the rest of the board. It's a place to relax. I kow the idea of "relaxing" on a message board sounds silly to begin with, but that doesn't change the fact that the OTTs and the OT board do no harm. If you don't like it, stay away from it. That's what I do with the VS board.

Um, no.
I don't recall having seen the term threadcrap ihere in quite some time.
Threadcrapping is not the same thing as trolling.
To me, vis that search of DDF's posts, 90% of what he does fits the exact definition of threadcrapping.
Post A: What do you think of this game?
Post B: it's not too bad, it's kinda hard though.
DDF: game sucks

That's threadcrapping. And assuming your post was directed at me, to accuse me of jumping on a
'fad' is laughable, since i dislike most things that are popular. For instance, I despise the word 'asshat', and I think that's the only time I've ever typed it [unless I've posted in a Fads You Hate thread'.]

Posts I don't like, are posts I don't like. It's a free net, as long as the mods/admin let it be, I got nothing to complain about.

I agree with spoo, DDF, as shown by a quick search of his posts, isn't a troll. He's a threadcrapper, by definition, and if my calling someone exactly what he is, is a fad, then fad me up.

That's threadcrapping.

No, that's his opinion!

You call it "thread crapping" simply because you disagree with it.

See how dumb the term is?

[quote name='Scrubking']

That's threadcrapping.

No, that's his opinion!

You call it "thread crapping" simply because you disagree with it.

See how dumb the term is?[/quote]

The opinion isn't the problem, it's the non sequitur manner it's stated in and fact that it's meant only to derail the topic, to invite crap posts, hence thread crapping.

bread's done
Back