I've been diagnosed with testicular cancer

Tybee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Hey guys. I received some not so great medical news recently and I wanted to take a moment to catch my CAG brethren up on what is going on.

About two weeks ago, my urologist discovered a lump on my left testicle. After a couple of ultrasounds, X-rays, a CT scan, and many blood tests and exams, the doctors have determined with 95% certainty that it is a cancerous tumor.

30 years ago, this would have been a much more dire diagnosis. But today, the prognosis for testicular cancer is very good (somewhat oxymoronically, it’s known as “the good cancer”). It’s extremely responsive to treatment, especially when caught early. We’re working with Dr. John Pattaras, a great urologic oncologist at Emory here in Atlanta, and on Thursday flew to Indianapolis to consult with Dr. Richard Foster, the same doctor who treated Lance Armstrong, and perhaps the world’s foremost authority on TC. From the moment cancer was suspected, my wife has been relentless in ensuring that I receive the very best medical care. I feel incredibly lucky to have her as my wife and advocate.

Standard procedure for testicular cancer is an inguinal orchiectomy (I/O), i.e., removal of the affected testis. Sounds more gruesome than it is. It’s done laproscopically through an small incision just below the waist and is minimally invasive. The testis is immediately biopsied to determine what kind of cancer is at work (there are two primary types, with several subcategories and degrees of aggressiveness), and treatment is planned accordingly. Treatment ranges from simple surveillance to ensure the cancer does not return, to chemotherapy, radiation, and a surgical procedure known as Retroperitoneal Lymph Node Dissection (RPLND), which I won’t go into, but suffice to say I’m hoping I won’t need it.

Every indication so far is that the cancer has not spread beyond my left testis, so it could be as simple as the I/O, plus surveillance. There are, however, some mitigating factors that make things a little more complicated. During the ultrasounds, they also turned up a “suspicious area” in my right testis that does not appear to be a tumor, but is reason for concern. Testicular cancer does not spread between the testes, so bilateral TC is EXTREMELY rare (of the 5,000 – 6,000 cases of TC diagnosed in the U.S. each year, only 5 percent of those are bilateral). Right now the consensus seems to be to just keep an eye on it. Additionally, my wife and I want to ensure that we are able to have children (the reason I was at the urologist in the first place was for infertility issues), so we’re trying to choose a course of action that will accommodate that. We hope to make some decisions in that area and move ahead with the I/O this week.

Let me take a moment to urge all of you guys (or any gals who care about their guys) to be vigilant in checking for TC. It is the most common type of cancer affecting men between the ages of 15 and 35 years old -- but it can strike any male, any time. Finding it early is often the difference between a simple operation and long, complicated, and painful course of treatment ... or worse.

I won’t sugarcoat it: This is scary as Hell. But rest assured, I have no intention of giving into that fear. I may not go on to win the Tour de France, but I WILL BEAT THIS BASTARD.

Please keep my wife and I in your thoughts and prayers. In the meantime, I welcome your best off-color testicle-related jokes. ;)

Sad to hear but now if you met Lance Armstrong or Tom Green you have a good icebreaker. Here's hoping you get better.

Damn that sucks dude.. I hope everything goes well for you... By the way, for now on you're known as OBT (one ball Tybee).

What... too soon? :whistle2:#

[quote name='Tybee']Please keep my wife and I in your thoughts and prayers. In the meantime, I welcome your best off-color testicle-related jokes. ;)[/quote]

Testes. Testes. 1,2,3. *cough* "Wow, look at the balls on this guy!" :lol:

Jokes aside, good going on finding it early and good luck on beating this thing. By the balls if necessary.

[quote name='thorbahn3']Sad to hear but now if you met Lance Armstrong or Tom Green you have a good icebreaker. Here's hoping you get better.[/quote]

Don't forget Scott Hamilton and John Kruk. ;)

Hey man godspeed with the treatments. You are lucky to have a loving wife to help you through this emotional (and physical) ordeal. It's often through the pain of some kind of personal crisis like this that you can see the payoff for all those times you were the better man and apologized to your wife even though you felt you did nothing wrong. When they're there and stronger than you ever thought they could be, well it just makes it all worth it, doesn't it?

And by the way, I used to think you were crazy, but now I can clearly see your nut!

Get well soon!

Coming from another person who survived cancer, I hope everything goes alright. Just keep a positive attitude and everything should be alright. I had to go through chemo and radiation therapy and its honestly not as bad as most people make it out to be. Good luck and I'll say a prayer for you.

[quote name='Tybee']Don't forget Scott Hamilton and John Kruk. ;)[/QUOTE]

Didn't know about Scott Hamilton, but who's John Kruk... [yahoo search] oh a baseball player, figures.

If some greater power let Tom Green live then I'm sure you'll pull through. Until then though, best of luck with it though.

[quote name='JJSP']I fully expect to see the excised testicle appearing on a tradelist very soon.

Good luck![/quote]

MIMS

(mint in mint sack)

That's rough not a lot of people have the balls to go through the operation (no pun intended)

I had a friend who thought he had a lump then had pains but he was too afraid to go to the doctor

Right now I'm listening to my wife tell my grandmother-in-law about how they are going to try to extract sperm from my excised left nut.

You have no idea how surreal this is.

Sorry to hear about the bad news. Here's hoping for the quickest recovery possible. I've had a recent scare with the testicle pain I've been having so I make sure and check myself on a regular basis.

[quote name='Tybee']Right now I'm listening to my wife tell my grandmother-in-law about how they are going to try to extract sperm from my excised left nut.

You have no idea how surreal this is.[/QUOTE]

Is the lilboo going to help you out at the bank? ;)

This is sad to hear, but it seems like you have a really good attitude about it. I have no doubts you'll beat it if you keep your great attitude.

I'm sure you'll rub it right out (and beat the cancer too). Everyone could stand to have less junk. Hey, you asked for the jokes. Seriously, best of luck during this ordeal.

[quote name='Chitown021']Did you have any symptoms or was this something that was discovered during a routine medical exam?[/quote]

We've been trying to conceive for about a year without success. Because of that and my GP finding my testosterone was low, I was sent to the urologist. On the second visit there he found the lump.

[quote name='thorbahn3']Is the lilboo going to help you out at the bank? ;)[/quote]

She's offered. But it's something I'm able to handle myself. ;)

That's part of what's making this so complicated. In normal cases, they'd have me banking sperm right now. But the same day I found out about the lump, I found out I'm azoospermatic (zero sperm count). Not a good day. Up until we went to see Dr. Foster, I thought I was non-obstructive azoospermatic (NOA), meaning I'm not producing any viable sperm (though they can go in and get the cells out sometimes). But he said he thinks that I actually am making sperm and there's just a blockage somewhere in my tubing. So we're hoping after we have the left one out we can fix that problem.

In the meantime, we're trying to have what's called testicular sperm extraction (TESE) performed at the same time I have the left one removed, just as a hedge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck man, I hope everything works out for the best. I'll keep you in my prayers!

Oh and about that operation on excising your left nut--

Pics or it didn't happen!! :D

Good luck, try to stay positive. Don't get down about the whole thing. ;)

Hey.. if they let you keep your nut after they take it out.. you should post pictures. I've always wondered what my nuts actually look like.. hmm.. Not saying that our nuts are identical or anything.. just.. uh.. I've said too much. :\

You can beat this cancer! Just beat it...

Jokes aside, hope everything goes well. A positive attitude is the biggest plus in your situation!

[quote name='keithp']Pics or it didn't happen!! :D[/quote]

Asshole.

I was going to say that.

I am not going to bring down the attitude of this thread with the horrible news we got about my girlfriend's brother. But I will just say, show up to surgery in a yellow shirt and have a mountain bike on hand! Wear a name tag that says Lance. Please.

Good luck. Cancer is a fucking whore and you need to beat the shit out of it!

[quote name='Tybee']33[/QUOTE]

Well, fuck.

Not much can be said to cheer you up...your situation sucks, plain and simple.

Good luck with everything, but before they start cutting make sure they have a plan for any testosterone issues since it's produced in the gonads. Maybe you'll luck (ironic, I know) out and get Test E injections from this.

That shit'll burn fat and build muscle while making you feel like you have 9 testicles, libido wise.

[quote name='Tybee']I was talking about MY lil' boo. ;)[/quote]

First of all he's OUR lilboo. Let's not get selfish. He also told me he was my BFF.

Secondly, I want to wish you goodluck and say stay strong! We're all cheering for you!

Finally, those tags are hilarious :lol:.

Dude, I seriously thought this was a joke topic or an OTT when I saw the title.

Hope you end up alright, dude.

EDIT: On the bright side? You could replace them with ROBOT TESTICLES!

One more thing...

Before you go in for surgery make sure you take a big, fat magic marker and write on your left testicle "THIS ONE!"

..you know, just in case you get a surgeon that's dyslexic or something!...

Reality's Fringe;4577513]Well said:
Don't feel too bad for me. It could definitely be a lot worse. I've got great insurance, a great wife and family to help me through this, and was lucky enough to find it early.

Honestly, I'm counting my blessings at this point.

And yeah, we've got a plan for the testosterone. If I'm able to keep the right one, there's a good chance it will step up and produce enough testosterone all on its own. If not, there are a lot of testosterone replacement options.

[quote name='Rusty Ghia']Best of luck with this, Tybee. You going to get a prosthetic put in?

I want to get some that light up when I squeeze them.

E.T. - The Electric Testicle

:)

[quote name='keithp']One more thing...

Before you go in for surgery make sure you take a big, fat magic marker and write on your left testicle "THIS ONE!"

..you know, just in case you get a surgeon that's dyslexic or something!...[/quote]

You jest, but we plan to do exactly that ... actually, on my left leg with an arrow pointing.

like how would the lump feel? and all that...should check mah balls >_>, i had a scare about this about a year ago, doctors ran some tests and said it was nothing, so now i dunno what to look for..

bread's done
Back