CAGcast #125: Everything is Broken

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][img-l=1]481[/img-l]Wombat deals with a broken console and body part, and finishes Metal Gear Solid 4 while CheapyD rants about Denis Dyack. Of course we discuss the latest video game industry and shopping news, your CAGbag questions and much more!

Listen to details on how to win 1 of 4 $100 GameStop Gift Cards!

Review us on iTunes!
Join the CAGcast Facebook Group

[podcast]10[/podcast]
Download - 106 minutes, 42MB
[digg]http://digg.com/podcasts/CAGcast[/digg][/preview]

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

Bonus Picture!
Weird Sleeper - Tai's Legs almost always seem to find the slots

By popular request, bjwoodruff's CAGs On News Theme Song
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/podcast/cagsonews.mp3

Last edited by a moderator:
I was playing music on itune and saw new cagcast is on and I was like.. wait a minutes, is that a new episode, and it is!! woohoo!

Great, I'll listen to this tomorrow! I was starting to think baby Wombat was born, which would have explained why there wasn't a show this week. Guess I was wrong...

Tommy Boy, Chris farley: They're all out. They only got diesel. Better go to the next station! What'd you do?

Awesome. will download when I get home in the morning. Cagcast is great to fall to sleep to and I mean that in the most sincere way!

I'll be interested to see what CheapyD has to say about Dennis Dyack. I just finished this weeks 1UP Yours that has a full conversation with him about all kinds of craziness that links back to the fact that his game is in fact not trash. I suggest that everyone listen to at least the end of the 1UP where they talk with him if they're confused when CheapyD calls him out.

Nice movie recommendations, the fight scene in Eastern Promises is epic.

Bizarre Foods is too disgusting for me but I love Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations.

How dare you diss my belove Metal Gear you should now die by FOX-DIE!

I love everything about metal gear i guess i'm a fanboy lol

Mike is still a Pussy guarantee you he only going to be able to play for like 5 minute a day lol

Microsoft is run by Nazi! TOO HUMAN SUCKS! i hope the mod-police won't arrest me!:whistle2:#

Mega Man 9 Yes!

Regarding what you guys said about Dyack and the gaming community.

I get what Cheapy is saying about the gaming community not influencing casual gamers, (the Madden, NFS type) but I think Wombat has a valid point when he brings up the Bioshock example.

Casual gamers tend to ask their more hardcore friends for advice on games to buy and word of mouth from friend to friend helps games that may not have done well become a surprise success. (I think Phoenix Wright is another example of this as is the buzz for Little Big Planet.)

Props for being excited about Jethro Tull and Rush for Rock Band 2!

It was great to hear that Wombat greatly enjoyed MGS4 despite Cheapy saying before that Wombat would definitely not liking the game. It was also nice to hear that you got the gist of what was going on, Wombat, but you can now just skip cutscenes on your second playthrough.

I must have been the only one that expected in-game XMB to be literally what it is, so I wasn't assuming cross-game invites and voice chat would be a part of the update. It actually works better than I expected, as I was able to hop from PSN game to PSN game double-checking for trophy updates and I can hop straight to the PS Store from Rock Band to buy songs and download them before heading back.

You guys missed the chance to talk about SOCOM Confrontation's delay for a few weeks to October.

"Scrolling up and down lists isn't the easiest way to find things" is bashing the competition now? This generation's gone soft.

The RB Free Disc DLC thing was confirmed to be false as the IGN guy was making guesses for some paid article, which is a great thing to see their money go toward.

Wombat, they're not radically changing the instruments. Look at the new guitar and it's the exact same Strat with a new paint job. They're making new instruments that improve on RB1's instruments, but they're not going overboard, so your old instruments will work fine. Just get the disc and you'll be fine with what you've got, especially with all of that RB DLC working with it, as well.

This was Cheapy's least informative show ever. All of these clueless remarks made it seem like Wombat was clearly more prepared for the show despite losing a 360, playing through all of MGS4, and busting a toe while still checking out Chrono Trigger DS, Mega Man 9, etc. Great show.

Awesome, thank you Cheapy and Wombat! Cannot wait to listen. This will make the shitty public transportation that much easier...unless I get mugged for having an ipod.

A good show a little too short seeing as the show was delayed for a few days, but thats not your fault because if theres not much happening latley whats the point in dragging the show on? Also always more about your lifes! If im gonna sit and listen to you for two hours I wanna know what's going on. Keep up the awesomeness.

I like it when I'm wrong! I get to listen to CheapyD & Wombat on the way to work! What a great way to start Monday!

While I think Dyack went on way too long on the podcast, but there are a couple of points that I think where he was right:

First, NeoGAF does have an influence. He was pointing specifically to Chris Kohler, who posts at NeoGAF and, for some reason, wants the validation of NeoGAF readers. He wrote the "negative" preview that Dyack referred to on the podcast and posted pictures of the game to prove that he finished (and, therefore, has the right to say that the game is crap). So, if GAF is effecting the way that the press cover the game, then there may be at the very least a small effect on sales.

Second, while I do agree that he took the long, long, long route to get to his point, he is right that people place too much emphasis on metacritic or gamerankings numbers. He was basically "tricking" EvilLore into throwing out a random metacritic number (90%) in order to show that the only way people can "prove" that a game is good is to refer to an arbitrary number.

The other stuff he brought up is kind of weird. I haven't been on GAF long enough to know if they go around changing user "ranks" to make fun of posters or if it's all in good fun. I mean, I guess if CheapyD or one of the mods changed my "rank" here from CAGaversary to "Shit eating Canadian asshole" (or, more likely, something much worse), I might take it personally and not want to post here anymore. But again, I don't know if they do it there just for laughs.
I don't think anyone comitted suicide because of a GAF post though... at least, I hope not. (Although, I have no doubt that Jeff Bell is quiting in part because of the fact that he PMed a user there).

I think the Dyack segment should be Cag Shovelwared. Or at least part of it, because the opening of that really set the tone.

Buying MGS4 is a waste of money if you haven't finished any of the past MGS games. Wombat completing MGS4 was a huge waste of time.He never completed MGS,2 or MGS3.The game answers your questions from the those past games.MGS4 is popular for its story.Wombat please go back and complete MGS2 and 3.I know you will like MGS3.:D

I saw 'Eastern Promises' back in January, good movie. If there's one thing I remember from that film, it's that sauna scene. I think it's scarred me for life...

(Especially since I watched it with my in-laws. Awkward!)

Also: thanks for the mention, Cheapy! :cool:

I have the Rain forest jumperoo as well, watch out because my daughter has crapped herself at least 5 times on that thing, we luckily had a plastic mat under the jumper. You didn't mention this one but there is also the rain forest pack and play crib.

[quote name='dsingh2007']Nice movie recommendations, the fight scene in Eastern Promises is epic.

Bizarre Foods is too disgusting for me but I love Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations.[/quote]

Anthony Bourdain is the Jesus of food.

[quote name='MarsSavior']What's the title of that encyclopedia Wombat has? Where can I find it?[/quote]

I assume it's this he references. It's huge and has the power to break toes. Beware, Wombat.

[quote name='firehawk12']While I think Dyack went on way too long on the podcast, but there are a couple of points that I think where he was right:

First, NeoGAF does have an influence. He was pointing specifically to Chris Kohler, who posts at NeoGAF and, for some reason, wants the validation of NeoGAF readers. He wrote the "negative" preview that Dyack referred to on the podcast and posted pictures of the game to prove that he finished (and, therefore, has the right to say that the game is crap). So, if GAF is effecting the way that the press cover the game, then there may be at the very least a small effect on sales.

Second, while I do agree that he took the long, long, long route to get to his point, he is right that people place too much emphasis on metacritic or gamerankings numbers. He was basically "tricking" EvilLore into throwing out a random metacritic number (90%) in order to show that the only way people can "prove" that a game is good is to refer to an arbitrary number.

The other stuff he brought up is kind of weird. I haven't been on GAF long enough to know if they go around changing user "ranks" to make fun of posters or if it's all in good fun. I mean, I guess if CheapyD or one of the mods changed my "rank" here from CAGaversary to "Shit eating Canadian asshole" (or, more likely, something much worse), I might take it personally and not want to post here anymore. But again, I don't know if they do it there just for laughs.
I don't think anyone comitted suicide because of a GAF post though... at least, I hope not. (Although, I have no doubt that Jeff Bell is quiting in part because of the fact that he PMed a user there).[/quote]

I concur with the opinion that people place way too much importance on Metacritic scores. Game score is a gimmick used to satisfy game companies. People who place significant importance on them and live vicariously through the reviewer are lazy. The only way to truly judge a game for oneself is to play it. There have been many instances where a game receives a ton of acclaim but I wind up wondering what they were thinking. I'm looking at you, Halo 3 and Grand Theft Auto 4.

[quote name='C_sTyLe']Buying MGS4 is a waste of money if you haven't finished any of the past MGS games. Wombat completing MGS4 was a huge waste of time.[/quote]

How was it a waste of time? He said the story was hard to follow and he enjoyed it.

Where's the waste?

Woof.....

While Dyack may not have put together an argument in a easily digestiable way, his only mistake was the venue.

Clearly both Cheapy and Wombat weren't willing to parse his statement and consider his actual thesis.

Dyack's statements are too far from academic to be found in peer-reviewed journals, and too far from consumable from the average 1up listener.

.....and here I am making the same mistake. Wrong place.

Bottom line is Cheapy and Wombat's "advice" to Dyack was pretty close to a synopsis of the problems with forums Dyack points to. The abuse of mods is making it impossible for people to effectively communicate a dissenting opinion.

Dyack is the President of a game development studio. There is no justifiable reason why he should be spending time and energy mixing it up on a gaming message board, especially considering that he's got a game coming out very soon that will have a huge impact on the success of his company. If he wants to take up issues which he feels are important to the gaming industry, perhaps he should have waited until several months after the release of Too Human.

If General Motors had a new car coming out which was getting some early negative press in car magazines and enthusiast message boards, do you think the President of GM would get on his computer and arguing with potential customers?

Whether its under the guise of some grand social experiment, or it's just plan insecurity, I think Dyack does his company (and its employees) a great a disservice by not having the willpower to just let it be. Maybe he step-down from his current position and and answer his true calling as an anthropologist.

listening to the show...

WOW, Wombat likes MGS4?? Am I dreaming? YAY, I love the MGS series, thanks for giving it a chance dude. I was really glad to hear Wombat say good things about it. It's a lot more satisfying if you played the previous games but it's still a good story with lots of good gameplay. Let's hear it for Wombat! :applause:

btw, i got the 2.40 firmware as soon as it was released and it works fine on my 60GB PS3.:bouncy:

Cheapy, you still haven't watched Hulk yet? GREAT movie. It ranks close to the Iron Man movie, imo.

P.S. thank gawd the Mikey situation was resolved.

CheapyD's opinion on Dennis Dyack was great especially after just listening to this weeks 1UP right before it. He had points that seemed logical but had nothing to do with the fact that he was just hurt that people at a game forum don't like his game. He cried that they hadn't played it so they can't say anything. He obviously has pull with his company since he's president why didn't he plan to make a demo. A demo would silence all this mess.

A History of Violence and Eastern Promises aren't very obscure at all--certainly not enough to suggest that people have never heard of them. Viggo was nominated for best actor in Promises last year.

HOLY SHIT, Cheapy never played Chrono Trigger??? One of the best RPGS of all time. Cheapy, you should check it out, but i doubt it. :(

Cheapy, obscure funny movie I think you'd like - Fido. Like the end of Shaun of Dead, people have domesticated zombies. A kid gets really attached to his new pet.

Cheapy you need to watch some new shows. Battlestar Galactica went downhill ever since they tried to colonize that new planet.

I suggest you look into 'Dexter' from Showtime. It's about a serial killer who kills only murderers. The series is amazing, and based on your movie recommendations, you'd probably like it a lot. The first two seasons are some of the best TV I've seen.

Good episode but I wondering what Cheapy's take on Guitar Hero Aerosmith was. Guess I'll wait for Friday which isn't too long away. Also Cheapy's props to Wombat about comments not getting to him was a bit touching and good advice for everyone.

Great show, I enjoyed the discussion, as usual. On the Dyack issue, I don't know what interview you guys were listening to. Dennis is an interesting character and i think you guys have him pegged wrong. It seems like hes really invested in this message board thing. I do agree that it was wrong for him to send out an entire-build preview, but i do think it is wrong for websites to basically post a review without a number(on a preview-build, be it a full-game or not). I think a lot of the things he talked about in that "interview" are interesting areas. Moderators SHOULD do their jobs, or else why are they mods? He stated times that people on that board are not attacking his games BUT HIM PERSONALLY..that is different. Espically if your not someone who does something like a podcast(regularly). I could say "I dont like the podcast because Wombat is a jerK"(he isnt, Wombat's a pretty cool dude), and that could be valid because his personality effects the Podcast directly. But if someone says "Too human looks like a horrible game, and Dennis Dyack must be suffereing from autisim if he thinks people will buy it", theres no reason to insult DD because his personality has nothing to do with the quality of the game. Now i don't know whats been going down on the GAF( i dont go there) but i think there is no need for personal attacks, and i also dont think theres a need for members of the forum to be behaving in trollish ways to try and get someone in the industry's attention. I dont know if thats the reputation NeoGAF has, but i still think its unneccary behavior.

Weird, I just watched Eastern Promises the night before the CAGcast came out. Despite the copious amounts of man meat I really liked it.

bread's done
Back