Battle Fantasia: Gen. Discussion & Info. *Developed by Aksys of Guilty Gear Fame*

buterbals

CAGiversary!
Feedback
44 (100%)
bf9hl3.jpg

charactersjt4.jpg

BATTLE FANTASIA RUMBLES ONTO XBOX 360 IN FALL OF 2008
A Fighting Game of RPG Sized Proportions!

Torrance, CA (July 3, 2008) – Aksys Games, a publisher of interactive entertainment products, announced today that Battle Fantasia will be battling its way onto Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft. Fans of the fighting game genre can expect to see this high tension fighter in the fall of 2008.

Developed by ARC SYSTEM WORKS, creators of the highly popular Guilty Gear series, Battle Fantasia utilizes RPG-stylish elements and blends them with high level gameplay. Players will also be able to pick between 12 beautifully illustrated characters by Emiko Iwasaki, and battle it out in front of gorgeous high-definition 3D environments.
"Battle Fantasia's helps bring the fighting genre to the mainstream with its RPG-style appeal,” said Frank “Bo” deWindt II, Project Lead, Aksys Games. “If the fighting aspects don't hook you, the quirky characters and their stories will".
Battle Fantasia Prologue

There was once a time when the world was engulfed in darkness. Mankind fought six battles to save their world, but lost every single one. All hope was lost for humanity and many turned to god with prayers. But one day the darkness was finally driven back by the swords of four heroes.

Light returned to the world, and with it came peace and serenity. The world was then divided into two major countries: The Magic Kingdom and the Steam Empire. The people prospered like never before…
But in recent months, strange things have begun to happen. Rumors spread among the people that the darkness was returning...

However, fate has once again brought together warriors from all over the world. Some fight in the relentless pursuit of justice. Some fight due to their conviction and faith.
As the battle looms near, an epic new tale of new heroes begins to unfold...

Battle Fantasia Key Features:

· Gorgeous Cel-shaded Graphics
Experience Battle Fantasia's amazing art and graphics as you play through the game!

· Exclusive Console Story Mode
Play through each character's main scenario in "Story Mode", or discover hidden sub-scenarios to truly immerse yourself in the universe of Battle Fantasia!

· Exciting Online Play
Fight against opponents from far and wide or view your overall online rankings via Xbox LIVE

· Feel the Burn of "Heat Up" and the Sting of "GACHI"
Master the Battle Fantasia exclusive battle mechanics of "Heat Up" mode, "GACHI Match", and "GACHI Drive" to keep your opponents on their toes!

· Find Every Unlockable!
With over 80 unlockable illustrations in "Gallery Mode" and various Xbox Achievements, you'll find yourself playing for hours on end!

Battle Fantasia has not yet been rated by the ESRB. More information about Aksys Games and Battle Fantasia can be found at www.aksysgames.com.

Screenshots:

Gameplay Videos:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/34808.html http://www.gametrailers.com/player/34794.html

Update July 07, 2007: IGN Hands On with Battle Fantasia

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/885/885708p1.html

The game looks really good and the art style reminds me of Eternal Sonata which I loved. I know this game has been out in Japan already, but its recently been announced for the XBOX 360 only so far, not the PS3 currently. Anyone know how the game actually plays?​

Last edited by a moderator:
Day one purchase for me. And it's gonna cost me plenty, cos I'm gonna have to get that new Hori RAP stick for the 360 to go with it.

I wonder if they will go ahead and maybe add a few more extra characters for this version. I highly doubt it though. 12 characters just doesn't seem like a lot to me. In the end it won't matter though as long as the game is actually fun.

I played the Japanese PS3 demo and was quite impressed with the story mode. It's got a ton of fully-voiced dialogue, which some people might skip but I think adds to the game's uniqueness.

This is been out for a month and a half nearly and there's finally a thread for it? Jeez. Still on my list of games I want to pick up later on.

[quote name='XxSmityxX']This is supposed to be out tomorrow, I stopped by gamestop and they didn't even have it in there system??[/QUOTE]
That means it shipped and is on the way to the store. Once a product ships it's taken out of the system.

Wonder if the home release is arcade perfect? Ashley infinite will be still fun to do and Cedric will still be tops...

BTW, anyone here interested in an autographed Battle Fantasia OST and original Olivia Sketch by the director and designer of Battle Fantasia, Emiko Iwasaki?

I won it at the Anime Expo '08 Aksys Games Battle Fantasia tournament, and those were the grand prizes. The Olivia Sketch and OST are one of a kind, she even autographed the spine jacket of the OST!

I have pics, PM me or post here if you want more info.

I have other rare, autographed game collectables such as an autographed Pllaystation 3 from the director of Soul Calibur 4, Virtua Fighter 5 autographed by the Sega AM-2 Division, and Metal Gear Solid 4 LE copy signed by David Hayter, Kojima, Imaizumi and Yumi Kukichi...pm me if you want! I'm going to put up a website for these things to sell, so stay tuned!

Most Gamestops I checked with said, "Battle WHAT?" whenever I asked. However, the local lead store received 2 copies on Friday (same as CAG 79).

Ah, I have been waiting for this game for so long. I still haven't been able to find it anywhere. A couple months ago I tried to preorder it from GS and was informed I couldn't. Not because it wasn't in the system, but it just wouldn't let them for some reason. Where have you guys found yours?

For those of you really bummed about not finding a copy, fret not.
Battle Fantasia is TERRIBLE. It has so much untapped potential, I wonder if this game is waiting for a patch or just got released on accident. The story is just the arcade mode with nonsensical dialogue cutscenes between battles that I would recommend holding down the Y button to skip, but that would imply that I mean you should try this game. Don't try this game. Your parents would rather you do meth instead.
-If your friends wants to play you in it, tell them to piss off.
-If you want achievements, play King Kong.
-If you want to show off your skills, play Soul Caliber 4.
-If you want to play some 2D fighting game on XBL, play Guilty Gear.
-If you really want to play Battle Fantasia online, too bad. There's no competition, its a bad sign when Quick Match doesn't work. Maybe its Castle Crashers syndrome or maybe word got out about how shitty this title is.
I'm much of an angry ranter, but this game really agitates me. Marco is fucking annoying as hell. There is no tutorial, the save system is apparently broken (another Castle Crasher flaw).

After reading the IGN review, I have to say a 6.5 is very generous.
I gave it a 2 on GameFly, with a review to justify why this game was not worth porting.

Have you ever played a fighting game before? I've never seen one with a tutorial.
Also, all you have to do is turn on Autosave, or actually go into the options and save it. Autosave is set to off automatically.
It easily has the most in-depth Story Mode in a fighter I've ever seen.

[quote name='Azumangaman']Have you ever played a fighting game before? I've never seen one with a tutorial.
Also, all you have to do is turn on Autosave, or actually go into the options and save it. Autosave is set to off automatically.
It easily has the most in-depth Story Mode in a fighter I've ever seen.[/QUOTE]

I guess you've never played Power Stone, Soul Calibur, Dead or Alive. This battle system does have quirks. If you play the story mode in Soul Calibur 3, you're not thrown into a battle and forced to figure things out for yourself, with your only guide being the Command List.
The broken save refers to reaching the Church, where my character Marco mumbled something about being level 20, it asked me if i wanted to Save, then showed:
"No Data Saved"

As for the in-depth story mode, you can say you like the background story of Battle Fantasia, but the Story Mode is not creative, nor original, or deep by any means. If it were anything different than the Arcade mode with dialogue in between battles then I could agree with you. Its honestly just text explaining why the characters are fighting. Odin Sphere is deep with plot. Phantom dust was deep, philosophically. Battle Fantasia's story mode just pits playable characters together by a series of random events. "Oh, hey what are you doing here?" uhh.... LET'S FIGHT!
Also, characters like Urs and Marco have less than 10 moves, (Olivia only has six!), that really limits your fighting styles. I honestly see no reason to defend this game, unless your playing devil's advocate.

Nice review. But with so little copies put out there it seems like this will be the next Operation Darkness/Spectral Force 3 aka not many copies out there so it will most likely retain It's value.

Being a fighting game I'll have to grab it eventually but unfortunately looks like I'll have to pay the high price.

[quote name='carpwrist']I
Also, characters like Urs and Marco have less than 10 moves, (Olivia only has six!), that really limits your fighting styles. I honestly see no reason to defend this game, unless your playing devil's advocate.[/QUOTE]

I think you're being too critical. The lack of tutorial is a complete non-issue. Sure, some fighting games have it, but about a million don't. You're gonna skip Super SF 2 Turbo HD because it lacks a tutorial too? And sure, the story mode isn't super creative, but getting that much story in a fighter is really unusual and the game's main selling point. There's room in the market for simple fighting games like this. No, it won't be played in many tournaments, but it's good simple fun.

Yeah. Characters in 2D fighters don't have a lot of moves. Guys from Street Fighter certainly don't have anywhere near the amount of moves as characters from Soul Calibur or Virtua Fighter.

Whoa, using ODIN SPHERE and PHANTOM DUST as examples for deep story modes? Those are RPGS! Story modes in fighters have always been quite useless (even though I love them) and in comparison to games like Soul Calibur IV, DOA4 and Tekken 5, its blows all of them out of proportion.

Shit, I'm just glad that this game even came to the U.S.

I don't get what carpwrist is complaining so much about. It's not like this game promised to be a Street Fighter killer or that it was hyped to no end.

[quote name='CAG 79']Shit, I'm just glad that this game even came to the U.S.

I don't get what carpwrist is complaining so much about. It's not like this game promised to be a Street Fighter killer or that it was hyped to no end.[/QUOTE]

I'm upset because what I had been hoped to be an RPG fighter, is not in any shape or form. I envisioned Puzzle Quest, but you know, less jewels. I had hoped for character customization, that's kind of a standard now. There should have been more RPG elements than just HP. I also expected a non-linear story. From what I read online, this wasn't supposed to be just a pretty fighting game. We have plenty of those going as far back as the SNES.

I don't know where you got the impression that BF was going to be some kind of RPG-fighter hybrid. I feel for you in that you bought something that you don't like but there have been impressions and reviews out on the internet for months now. Heck, if you have access to a PS3 you can play the demo. Your complaints are akin to me complaining about Okami for not having a driving sequence.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Nice review. But with so little copies put out there it seems like this will be the next Operation Darkness/Spectral Force 3 aka not many copies out there so it will most likely retain It's value.

Being a fighting game I'll have to grab it eventually but unfortunately looks like I'll have to pay the high price.[/quote]

Operation darkness is rare? Holy crap

I'm sorry you're bummed out by your purchase, carpwrist.
I finally got to play a little, and so far I am really enjoying it. I can't wait to bring it home and really get into it. I hope some more people show up online. Though the lag might kill that part for me.

I hear the complaints about number of moves... I have to ask... how much do these "few moves" on the characters vary, by strength of button press?

Samurai Shodown II uses the same animations for MANY of their slashes and aerial moves, yet the differences in startup times, the recovery after the moves, and whether a move leaves you at a disadvantage on block or not, makes every little detail stand out, and gets a lot more worth out of the simple repetition.

As far as expecting this game to have DEEP RPG elements... do you read the forums at shoryuken.com? Or maybe an FAQ on gamefaqs? I know one might not like to spoil themselves, but it's easy now-a-days to know exactly what you're getting into before making a purchase. Even small releases like this have decent communities, when it comes to information like that.

I like what I've heard about the story more in this game so far!
I've heard it talked about how actions in story mode lead to different paths, making it impossible to 100% each characters story in a single play through. That's cool! And the last boss having a second form that can only be beat through using your heat mode...
Those are actually RPG-like elements I didn't expect from the game...

I hope to get this within the coming week or 2 myself, I hope the community isn't overwhelmingly beastly by the time I get on... XD Deathbringer looks so cool that I wanna learn to use him... But I really don't know who I'll end up making my main...

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']Operation darkness is rare? Holy crap[/QUOTE]

Sorta. Not many copies produced and not many people buying right now. Should be rare in the long run, but I'm sure there will be a sale here and there before it becomes OOS new wise. All Atlus titles are always produced in low amounts except for Persona and Shin Megami Tensei type games, and those get reprints when the demand is high. I don't see Operation Darkness or Spectral Force getting more then one reprint if they do.

There are new copies of OD going for under $50 before shipping. Altus games like Dual Hearts and Metal Saga are too niche to be rare even with a small print.

[quote name='depascal22']Games can be rare and low in demand.[/QUOTE]

Which says alot considering the demo for Operation Darkness is available. It's really just not that good of a game. The last true gem that I can recall is Tetris DS. Both rare and high in demand.

Edit: fix-ed for clar-ification

I do see your point, I just believe quality matters more if you're one of those people who stocks up on rare games, which some seem to have expressed interest in.

[quote name='carpwrist']Which says alot considering the demo is available. It's really just not that good of a game. The last true gem that I can recall is Tetris DS. Both rare and high in demand.[/quote]

*looks on marketplace* *sees no demo*

LIES.

...unless you're talking about Operation Darkness.

[quote name='lolwut?']*looks on marketplace* *sees no demo*

LIES.

...unless you're talking about Operation Darkness.[/QUOTE]

Sadly no US demo. IIRC, there was a Japanese demo. I gotta track down this game, if only for my love of the developer.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Sadly no US demo. IIRC, there was a Japanese demo. I gotta track down this game, if only for my love of the developer.[/QUOTE]

Is it rare or hard to find? My best buy has like 10 copies of it that theyve had since launch.. same with SP3 and this game as well.. which I found odd they had copies of BF when everyone was saying it was rare @_@

I still have my OD.. I played a few levels. loved it, but there were too many other games I was playing and got caught up in.

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']Is it rare or hard to find? My best buy has like 10 copies of it that theyve had since launch.. same with SP3 and this game as well.. which I found odd they had copies of BF when everyone was saying it was rare @_@

I still have my OD.. I played a few levels. loved it, but there were too many other games I was playing and got caught up in.[/QUOTE]

I've heard conflicting things of rarity (not so much rare as kinda hard to find since some retailers may not carry it), but I'm mainly referring to taking the time to go and buy one, lol.

There was a Japanese PS3 Demo. There never was a Japanese 360 demo.

If there was, I would have played it much:)

Note that the PS3 demo was, oddly, only single player, however.

And Hmmm, no one seemed to want to answer my question from my previous post here... bah. I'm surprised, the people on Shoryuken.com seem to enjoy the quality of this game much more than everyone else.... and THEY'RE suppose to be the critical ones!

bread's done
Back