N64 vs Playstation

kube00

CAGiversary!
Feedback
216 (100%)
There's a thread on Goozex comparing the two right now. What do you guys think?

Playstation has a huge library and outsold the N64 by several million

But N64 did have some good games, although lack of mature titles, and those cartridges were expensive to make and buy.
How about Resident Evil 2 on N64 vs Playstation?

And lastly anyone else feel that the N64 was designed for a younger generation of gamers?

Also bring the flames, Zelda is not an RPG, sheesh people keep saying it is.

Wow, like there's any question. The PS1 was sooooo much better... wow.

The N64 was definitely aimed at younger gamers, but I was young when that system was around, and was still hella disappointed by it. Getting a Playstation in 98 was definitely a good call, since I could finally start playing some decent games.

I had an N64. But I sure as hell wish now that I had a playstation then.

Though, I have some amazing memories of things like Cruis'n USA, Mario Party, Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie, etc. because those were the ones I played. Now, though, I'm still playing PS1 games whereas the N64 ones are collecting dust at my stepbrothers' house.

Well I owned both. I first had the Playstation then came the N64.

Even though the Playstation had more games and all, I enjoyed my N64 a lot more. With Mario Kart 64, Super Mario 64, Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, Mario Party, and many other games, I was just in love with it.

Im not saying the PS1 wasn't as good, because it was. Personally I was just really into Nintendo at the time.

I had an N64 first and I liked it. Looking back on the two though, the PS1 had way more games that I liked, but the ones I liked on the N64 I liked a lot.

So yeah, PS1>N64

I liked my N64 better than my Playstation back then. So many after school hours went into Goldeneye 64, Super Smash Bros, Super Mario 64, and Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire.

I think that with how ever many good games were on PSX, they can't compare to the all time universal greats on N64. For a supposedly underwhelming system, it pumped out A LOT of classics.

[quote name='davo1224']I think that with how ever many good games were on PSX, they can't compare to the all time universal greats on N64. For a supposedly underwhelming system, it pumped out A LOT of classics.[/quote]
This is the nature of systems with low marketshare though: A higher than normal proportion of good games compared to the overall library. All the shovelware and lower budget titles probably went to Playstation.

I loved me some n64. Back in the day I had both and psx got alot more time play time from me until the n64 built a decent amount of games to play. So many great games on that system, I still gotta hunt down a copy of Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 and Banjo Tooie one of these days.

This is difficult. I have many fond memories with the N64. No Mercy, Blast Corps, WCW vs. NWO: World Tour, WCW/NWO Revenge, Ocarina of Time, Diddy Kong Racing, Bomberman 64... Just a few titles where I remember great times with friends. The PS1 was more of a solitary experience - but I had a huge game library as I'd copy games. I definitely had more fun with the N64.

I didn't have a Playstation but I played them many times at friends houses. I was a young kid when these systems came out but I really enjoyed my N64 way better then I enjoyed playing the Playstation. My favorite games for N64 where Donkey Kong 64 and Super Mario 64. Surprisingly, I also really liked Crusin' World.

PlayStation wins, no question in my mind. The N64 had two of the greatest games of all-time in Super Mario 64 and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, which were both groundbreaking. The PlayStation might not have anything that stands up to either of those two in terms of quality or influence. But the N64's top-tier offerings thin out after you list around 10 of its best games. With the PlayStation, you could find at least twice that amount.

PS1: Great quantity
N64: Excellent quality among 1st party games

That's pretty much the entire argument.

I mean, you have to remember that the Ps1's lifetime was from 1994 to 2004, while N64 was from 1996 to 2001. I still have much fonder and enjoyable memories of the N64 even though the Ps1 had better games (Metal Gear and Final Fantasy VII come to mind instantly). The N64 was just so much fun at the time, and was the center of all of my friend's and I's gaming related get-togethers.

[quote name='KingBroly']PS1: (Anywhere ranging from utter shit all the way up to some titles that were of) Great quantity
N64: Excellent quality among 1st party games (with a handful of 3rd party gems)

That's pretty much the entire argument.[/quote]

:)

I probably had more fun with the PS1 then I had with any other system. Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy VII, Crash Bandicoot, etc. So many great games.

Actually, it's kinda funny that I see this topic because I just purchased an N64 for the first time in my life. I've been researching it's library to figure out what games I'm going to add to my collection and quite honestly I'm very impressed. I thought it was going to be slim pickings but I already have 20+ games that I want to get. A lot of the best games on the N64 (besides the obvious big Nintendo titles) are actually games that are somewhat unknown (i.e. Hybrid Heaven, Mischief makers, etc.).

althought the N64 had a few of the best games off all time (mario 64, Zelda:OoT, 007) the rest was pretty much garbage.

Playstation had tons of great games, also didnt have the space restrictions the cartridges had.

but, ultimately, both lose because neither had BLAST PROCESSING!!!

Look. The N64 will win.. because..

Your PS1 Consoles will die out about the next 5 years? Because it can't read the disk.
while the N64 can still read cartridges har har :p

This is a tough one no doubt about it. I owned an n64 for years before getting a psone with my first paycheck as a working slave. Nintendo 64 had Goldeneye and some other First Person shooters, something the psone always lacked, I loved Star Fox back in the day but after playing Colony Wars it paled in comparison. Zelda Ocarina of time was enough for me to skip school to get it but Final Fantasy VII took up a good chunk of my life. If I had to finally pick one I guess it would be the Psone, the sheer variety of games available is where it just stomped on the nintendo 64, many more fighters, plane games, quirky games and of course Metal Gear Solid.

I'm actually still amused this argument goes on, wonder if my grand kids someday will be looking on the net and seeing this exact same argument by senior citizen gamers.

N64

Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, Zelda:OoT, Starfox 64, jet Force Gemini

all better than all the PS1 games IMO, except for FF7 & FF8

[quote name='misterine']Look. The N64 will win.. because..

Your PS1 Consoles will die out about the next 5 years? Because it can't read the disk.
while the N64 can still read cartridges har har :p[/quote]That's a good point but is a non-issue to anyone with a PS3 since every PS3 is backwards compatible with PS1 games.

With that said I recently started an N64 collection and a big reason why is because not only is the system durable but the games are as well. Cartridges may have been the reason why the N64 lost out to the PS1 that generation (and I was a PS1 guy that gen) but personally I prefer cartridges for several reasons . . durability, no load times, no noise, no moving parts thus making the hardware more solid. It's the same reason I'd rather play my DS and GBA over my PSP (I hardly touch that thing anymore).

The problem with the N64 was Nintendo's commitment to "quality vs quantity" whereas it should have been quality and quantity. I enjoyed both the N64, and the PS1; but I say the PS1 was better because it had an enormous variety of games. However there's nothing on the PS1 that could top Super Mario 64; Star Fox, and F-Zero X on the N64. [oh and I forgot about Star Fox and Perfect Dark] and I haven't seen a water craft game to this day that tops the water effects of Wave Race 64.

No contest really, the N64 was annoying to play (the joystick sucked) and the PS1 just kept improving (dual shock, games like Final Fantasy IX).

I gave up on my N64 when FF VII dropped.

rpgs, fighting games, "realistic racers" and sports titles were much better on the ps1. I would go so far as to say the ps1 may have had the greatest games in these genres for its time of any system then or since.

Still, Mario Kart 64 and goldeneye (for me) stand as some of the finest multiplayer games ever. There were certain games on the ps that were great (ah, twisted metals), but nowhere near the 4player greatness.

If you were to distill both systems down to a top 20 representation, the 64 would win- and those games for the most part also have aged better.

But in terms of gaming machines, the ps1 easily trumps the 64. It simply had more to offer and far more good, fun and above average games.

This is a hard one.....

But n64!

Mario 64 = best 3D platformer

Wave Race 64= best water sport game,

Mario Kart 64=best arcade racer

LoZOot = best adventure

Starfox 64 = best shooter

Perfect Dark/Goldeneye= best FPS

Pokemon Puzzle League = best puzzler

The ps1 has the n64 beat in stealth, 2d platformers, and rpgs though. Sure, the ps1 may have more good games, but I don't think they amount to the quality of what's on the n64 gameswise.

Last edited by a moderator:
I kinda agree with all those, although as far as FPS go I'd think there has to be something better on the PS1 due to it having two analog sticks.

Also as far as kart racing goes, PS1 had Crash Team Racing which is an awesome game.

[quote name='leveskikesko']This is a hard one.....

But n64!

Mario 64 = best 3D platformer

Wave Race 64= best water sport game,

Mario Kart 64=best arcade racer

LoZOot = best adventure

Starfox 64 = best shooter

Perfect Dark/Goldeneye= best FPS

Pokemon Puzzle League = best puzzler

The ps1 has the n64 beat in stealth, 2d platformers, and rpgs though. Sure, the ps1 may have more good games, but I don't think they amount to the quality of what's on the n64 gameswise.[/QUOTE]

I agree with a lot of your list but Mario kart best arcade racer? Maybe multiplayer racer but Ridge Racer, Gran Turismo (which did have a regular arcade mode) or Need for Speed (specifically hot pursuit) were better single player experiences in my book. Also curious, when you say shooter for Star Fox, do you mean space shooter or vehicle shooter?

I didn't game much during this time but I ended up with a PS1. Metal Gear Solid and Spiderman are still 2 of my favorite games of all time. I now have an N64 but the only games I really have for it are Nintendo's first party games. Zelda, Starfox, SM64.

PS1. N64 was the Nintendo system that started killing my interest in their games, and the Wii finished it off. N64 started the trend of getting a few really good first/2nd party games and a bunch of garbage that continued through the GC and Wii.

PS1 and PS2 just had a lot more games I enjoyed. Tons of crap too, but more personal AAA games by far.

That said, there's not many games on either system I can stand to play today. First gen 3D games just look like ass. Blurry and/or jaggy as hell.

My first console was a Playstation. I still prefer Playstation over N64 because of Crash Bandicoot (CTR included), Spyro, Final Fantasy, and Tekken. However the N64 still had some damn good games like Goldeneye, Mario Kart, Mario 64, Starfox 64, but I still prefer Playstation just because of the exclusives compared to N64.

Also Playstation was the first real console with disc technology that actully worked well compared to other consoles/attachments.

you cant really compare the 2. each system was diff and each had diff games and each was worth owning. the n64 had awesome platformers and some odd but cool fighting games and alot of the classic stuff you expect. the ps1 hadcutting edge games with adult themes and alot of interesting ground breaking stuff. its like comparing cake and pie theyre both desserts but each is good in its own way. i still cant help but fondly remember playing re2 for the first time or banjo kazooie for the first time.

I never had a PS1 but I loved my N64, The PS1 had a huge game library with different great games for every one, while the N64 had awesome first party games.

Did someone say Wave Race, Jet Motto is a way better game.
And Pokemon puzzle league I'm sure there's something better.

Where else does the Playstation succeed? Let's see better fighting games, better accessories, and my favorite more mature games. Besides Perfect Dark, a crummy port of RE2, and a few Turok games, the N64 got shafted when it game to mature games.

And the mention of driving combat games. Twisted Metal 2 still rocks. N64 had Vigilante 8 1 and 2, Playstation had Twisted Metal 1-4, Rogue Trip, Vigilante 8 1 and 2...

What about Publishers, N64 had Nintendo, Rare, Acclaim (they went out of business), Playstation had Square, Sony, Capcom (N64 had one megaman title), EA, etc .

And to be honest besides the first party and few good third party games. The rest of the N64 lineup was pretty crappy. We could go look at the past reviews and see which system had more games with crappier ratings?

[quote name='coolsteel']I agree with a lot of your list but Mario kart best arcade racer? Maybe multiplayer racer but Ridge Racer, Gran Turismo (which did have a regular arcade mode) or Need for Speed (specifically hot pursuit) were better single player experiences in my book. Also curious, when you say shooter for Star Fox, do you mean space shooter or vehicle shooter?[/quote]

Well I kinda agree with you in a way actually. I should have been more specific, I just think Mario Kart as a package with great multiplayer in racing and battling makes it the best. If we're talking about straight forward singleplayer racing, Ridge Racer is much better.

Ridge Racer was also on the n64, so either way n64 wins in my humble opinion. And GT isn't really an arcade racer....I just feel that arcade racers and simulation racers are so different they shouldn't be compared.

When I say Starfox I mean shooter in general.....

[quote name='kube00']Did someone say Wave Race, Jet Motto is a way better game.
And Pokemon puzzle league I'm sure there's something better.

Where else does the Playstation succeed? Let's see better fighting games, better accessories, and my favorite more mature games. Besides Perfect Dark, a crummy port of RE2, and a few Turok games, the N64 got shafted when it game to mature games.

And the mention of driving combat games. Twisted Metal 2 still rocks. N64 had Vigilante 8 1 and 2, Playstation had Twisted Metal 1-4, Rogue Trip, Vigilante 8 1 and 2...[/quote]

Pokemon Puzzle League not the best? Are you just saying that because it has pokemon in the title. If so, it may have a pokemon exterior, but the interior is awesome panel de pon aka tetris attack aka puzzle league gameplay.

Also this thread is making me a bit depressed, I want a next gen Twisted Metal or even Vigilante 8 already!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='lokizz']you cant really compare the 2. each system was diff and each had diff games and each was worth owning. the n64 had awesome platformers and some odd but cool fighting games and alot of the classic stuff you expect. the ps1 hadcutting edge games with adult themes and alot of interesting ground breaking stuff. its like comparing cake and pie theyre both desserts but each is good in its own way. i still cant help but fondly remember playing re2 for the first time or banjo kazooie for the first time.[/QUOTE]

There's no way to objectively compare game consoles--but one can subjectively compare them on the basis of which they enjoyed more. Which had the most games they enjoyed, graphics that impressed them, online fun (not for this comparison but for current and last gen) etc.

I had much more fun with the N64. Mario Tennis, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Mario Party, Super Mario 64, Star Fox, Mario Kart 64, Diddy Kong Racing, Banjo-Kazooie, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Harvest Moon, Donkey Kong 64, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Super Smash Brothers, Paper Mario, The World is Not Enough... Wow I know I'm missing games but the list can go on forever.

[quote name='naes']I had much more fun with the N64. Mario Tennis, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Mario Party, Super Mario 64, Star Fox, Mario Kart 64, Diddy Kong Racing, Banjo-Kazooie, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Harvest Moon, Donkey Kong 64, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Super Smash Brothers, Paper Mario, The World is Not Enough... Wow I know I'm missing games but the list can go on forever.[/quote]

When was the last time you played DK64? Your fond thoughts of it may change your second playthrough....

I was mostly into wrestling during the time those consoles where out and the N64 delivered in every area on the wrestling forefront and the PS1 had nothing but crap to show for it.

Having a PS1 instead of a N64 wasn't a total waste. Don't get me wrong, I played my playstation till the day it died, but I secretly always wanted a N64 instead. Mario Kart 64, Super Mario 64, Mario Party 1&2, WWF No Mercy, WCW/NWO Revenge, Banjo Kazooie, Pokemon Snap, Pokemon Stadium, Donkey Kong 64, Jet Force Gemini, where all just awesome for their time.

[quote name='leveskikesko']When was the last time you played DK64? Your fond thoughts of it may change your second playthrough....[/quote]
About a year ago... I didn't think it was bad.

I guess I can't compare the two since I didn't own a N64. I really enjoyed the PS1, and it was my first system. I don't think I could've compared my experiences I've had with my PS2 with the N64. I don't think gaming would be the same for me if it wasn't for Gran Turismo, X-men vs. Street Fighter, Final Fantasy 8, Final Fantasy 9,Digimon World 2 and 3, Even though I missed a lot of good games, I cherished these games to the death.

I guess it all depends on if you enjoy RPG's, if so the PlayStation wins by a mile.

Other than Ocarina, Mario 64 and a few other games that I mostly played multiplayer (007, Perfect Dark, Mario Kart, Smash Bros), PlayStation was home to way more of my favorite games. Still I'd probably hold Ocarina and Mario 64 above any PS1 games, with MGS being real close on that list.

When I look back at both systems the N64 has more games I would want to go back and play.

When I look at the Playstation library most of the games I played (which I didn't play until I got a PS2 since I only ever owned an N64) were RPGs, and since most of them are turn based, which I can't really stand anymore, I have to go with the N64.

Well what about Tetris being the best puzzle game? Or if you played Intelligent Qube, its amazing. And yes Pokemon, don't tell me you like Hey you Pikachu?

bread's done
Back