- - - - -

VIDEOGAME SELLERS TARGETED FRAUD info on half.com / ebay/ amazon

#661 Agent Orange   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   851 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Agent Orange

Posted 30 June 2014 - 03:06 AM

I just had two people from Van Nuys, CA order items from me (1 is video game related, the other is not). It seems they are in the same Apartment complex, but different units. Wonder if I'm about to have another scam attempt - or it's a really crazy coincidence that so many addresses are from Van Nuys, CA... and now I got two of them. I just thought it was odd to have 2 bidders so close together, searched "Van Nuys ebay fraud" and this thread was one of the top results. Good old cheapassgamer.com.  :bow: 

The thing is though, both of these guys have perfect feedback (one of them very extensive feedback going 10 years) and none of them mention chargebacks. So I don't know. There is really no basis to cancel the items. I guess I'll ship them and see what happens (the 2 or 3 times in the past that I had attempted chargebacks, I didn't lose anything anyway... and these aren't particularly pricey items). 

WTF is up with all the fraud in CA though. Seems crazy that so much of it comes from there. I'm assuming all the illegal immigration must play a role or something, but there must be something else that makes it so easy to do these frauds in CA. Or maybe CA just has a crazy proportion of criminals? :-k  

#662 slowdive21   CAG/Archivist of Pop Culture CAGiversary!   11096 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

slowdive21

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:51 AM

^^^double the population of any other state.

#663 donut   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3918 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:57 AM

Amazon -

Just shipped (today) to this address and while it's not listed, I am concerned as the purchaser was Jose Garcia, but the recipient -

Marcos Espinosa
38 DORAL WAY
ANTIOCH, CALIFORNIA 94509

Bought two mint complete GBA GBC games  - totalling $80

I shipped Priority with DC...

Does this address sound familiar to anyone?

I posted now, as if I get dinged it might help another seller....

I will delete the above eventually...

Sadly I have been scammed on Amazon but luckily won all three attempts (man it was a time consuming battle!)

"I'd bet ya dollars to donuts ..."

#664 sp00ge   Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen! CAGiversary!   10209 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 06 July 2014 - 03:06 AM

I might have a live one here.  Sold my personal copy of Metal Gear :xb1: last week and shipped it right away.  Got a notice tonight from the buyer claiming it was scratched up and his XB1 wouldn't read it.

The problem is, I bought the game brand new the week before it sold and played through it twice in one day and immediately listed it, only touching the disc three times, including checking the disc prior to shipping it.  I'm pretty sure this guy is trying to swap out his damaged disc for my pristine one.  Once it's confirmed, I'll post info here about it.

I should have just traded it to Gamestop... I didn't make much more after fees than GS would have given me anyways.

Bored? Too much money than you know what to do with? Why not check out my Amazon Storefront? If you see anything you want, send me a PM! Make an offer, either monetary or trade! Over 2000 items, and more added daily!

#665 donut   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3918 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:04 PM

I sell maybe a game a week on Amazon...

This whole new fraud has me both frustrated and perhaps overly cautious.

Non pro sellers (like me) who do not pay $40/month now have no seller support number to call.

Today I sold (with expedited shipping mind you) a $40 pristine gamecube game shipping to CA...

So I called the regular customer service number, chose 0 and told the rep I needed Seller Support with a brief explanation of the fraud I was concerned about...

He connected me, I reiterated in more detail the reason for my call. The rep put me on hold and then came back to verify the account address I was being directed to ship to had been associated with that account for at least 3 months.

I then shipped the game.

So perhaps this will help other sellers to try.

It took less than 10 minutes (worth it to me).

#666 sp00ge   Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen! CAGiversary!   10209 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:53 AM

I might have a live one here.  Sold my personal copy of Metal Gear :xb1: last week and shipped it right away.  Got a notice tonight from the buyer claiming it was scratched up and his XB1 wouldn't read it.

The problem is, I bought the game brand new the week before it sold and played through it twice in one day and immediately listed it, only touching the disc three times, including checking the disc prior to shipping it.  I'm pretty sure this guy is trying to swap out his damaged disc for my pristine one.  Once it's confirmed, I'll post info here about it.

I should have just traded it to Gamestop... I didn't make much more after fees than GS would have given me anyways.

And the guy filed an A-to-Z claim instead of returning the "damaged" game.  More to come, I'm sure!

Bored? Too much money than you know what to do with? Why not check out my Amazon Storefront? If you see anything you want, send me a PM! Make an offer, either monetary or trade! Over 2000 items, and more added daily!

#667 donut   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3918 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:19 AM

And the guy filed an A-to-Z claim instead of returning the "damaged" game.  More to come, I'm sure!

wow please post his name at least...

no way in hell, I will ship to him and would greatly appreciated the info.

GL on the battle to come!

#668 sp00ge   Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen! CAGiversary!   10209 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 11 July 2014 - 04:08 AM

I'll post a name once the claim is closed.  I don't want to run the (incredibly slim) chance of it biting me in the ass.

#669 sp00ge   Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen! CAGiversary!   10209 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 11 July 2014 - 02:44 PM

Amazon closed it; they funded it in the buyer's favor, which is bullshit.

Dai Moroboshi
15746 HUBBELL ST
DETROIT, MICHIGAN 48227-2949

#670 TiKi2   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1031 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 11 July 2014 - 04:16 PM

Amazon closed it; they funded it in the buyer's favor, which is bullshit.

Dai Moroboshi
15746 HUBBELL ST
DETROIT, MICHIGAN 48227-2949

LOL Dai Moroboshi, did you google that name?>Fictional Character. Good job guy.

#671 Animal7390   Something Clever CAGiversary!   2141 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:00 AM

figured this might be the best place to post this

carbon28 on ebay is a dirty rotten liar. i am selling an item and they kept messaging me giving me a different story about their daughter. the jist of it all is that they have a 25 month old daughter that has been looking for a movie that was released in the 90's for a really long time and she has really bad epilepsy with alot of medical bills and 49 dollars to their name.

since the first time they messaged me, they have purchased 2 disney vault movies on bluray.

just as a heads up.

my trade list doesnt have anything in it right now, but it will someday. soon. hopefully. maybe.

Games List (60% complete)

DVD List (75% complete)

A game store here was running a tournament and a guy I know went to the restroom and got some fabreeze and totally fabreezed some fat smelly guy, It was awsome!!

#672 ManEaterBug  

ManEaterBug

Posted 08 September 2014 - 06:36 AM

Can the two-step verification stuff keep you safe from things like these?

#673 Shugo2540   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   70 Posts   Joined 4.1 Years Ago  

Shugo2540

Posted 25 January 2015 - 06:41 PM

The amount of scams I got on eBay drove me away, about 4 years ago I sold a ps2 and had no issue then like 2 months later they buy decided to say it never arrived even though it had their signature I was using signature confirmation at them time, I ended up losing that case as tracking and signature confirmation was not sufficient proof I was told.

I also used amazon at one point to sell game console parts that I tested and every time someone would say it didn't work I would always get back a part with a different serial number or they would make up 3 different stories as to why it couldn't be shipped back. Usually I would refund if they kept the story consistent just so I didn't have to deal with it but if their story changed several times I would always contact amazon and always won the cases I fought. The biggest thing that saved me was taking pictures of the original item and serial number.

#674 Dead of Knight  

Dead of Knight

Posted 07 February 2015 - 08:55 PM

Don't buy from nhin17 in Ann Arbor, MI on eBay/Half; they sent me a defective game with tons of scratches while claiming in the product description it was "like new."  Never responded to my message about that, so I filed a claim.  Took over 2 weeks for Half to finally respond, saying I can return it for a full refund.  By this time, I've already asked for a chargeback on my CC.  I have 7 days to ship it back.  Waiting to see if my CC does the chargeback, and then sending it back if they don't chargeback before then.  Didn't care about Half/eBay possibly "banning" me for doing a chargeback; it's total fucking bullshit that it took them over 2 weeks to respond to my claim at all even though said they would get a response back to me in 72 hours or less.  So Fuck them, never buying from them again.

RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

This is the greatest thing ever. Certainly in the OTT at least.

#675 the_vahngo  

the_vahngo

Posted 15 February 2015 - 07:26 PM

Amazon always goes in the buyers favor unless you have signature confirmation, i learned my lesson the hard way.  Some guy got his x1 controller and complained saying he never got it.  Instantly refunded even though ive sold 500+ items in the past 3 months without a hiccup.

Careful of this buyer on amazon

HERIZO LAMBO
13255 SW 57TH TER APT 9
MIAMI, FLORIDA 33183-1211

#676 BrianJason  

BrianJason

Posted 16 February 2015 - 10:49 PM

Amazon always goes in the buyers favor unless you have signature confirmation, i learned my lesson the hard way.  Some guy got his x1 controller and complained saying he never got it.  Instantly refunded even though ive sold 500+ items in the past 3 months without a hiccup.

HERIZO LAMBO
13255 SW 57TH TER APT 9

thanks vahn

#677 sp00ge   Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen! CAGiversary!   10209 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 16 February 2015 - 11:22 PM

HERIZO LAMBO
13255 SW 57TH TER APT 9

https://postalinspec...ecomplaint.aspx

#678 elessar123   "AT LAST, SIR TERRY, WE MUST WALK TOGETHER." CAGiversary!   10683 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 02:25 AM

I've had stuff whose tracking said "delivered" and I never got. It's not always fraud.

Maybe 3-5 times in ~15 years, which is probably 1K+ orders.

elessar123.png

#679 sp00ge   Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen! CAGiversary!   10209 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 02:53 AM

I've had stuff whose tracking said "delivered" and I never got. It's not always fraud.

Maybe 3-5 times in ~15 years, which is probably 1K+ orders.

Not always, but that means someone most likely stole it and still warrants an investigation.

#680 WinterAvenger   The Egocentric Cheapo Trading Ban   1513 Posts   Joined 1.1 Years Ago  

WinterAvenger

Posted 17 February 2015 - 03:39 PM

this still a big issue?

#681 Dead of Knight  

Dead of Knight

Posted 20 February 2015 - 11:42 PM

Forgot to update my story.  Half finally responded that I could get a full refund plus a refund for return shipping.  I did that and they refunded my money immediately after I gave them the tracking number.  All's well that ends well, though I would have preferred getting a working game in the first place.

RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

This is the greatest thing ever. Certainly in the OTT at least.

#682 Ezekeal  

Ezekeal

Posted 04 March 2015 - 01:23 PM

thanks for the heads up OP

sig.png

#683 Keisu  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 06:59 AM

My amazon seller account was just banned because of this.  800 dollars in merch that amazon wanted to refund and I get nothing so I changed my bank account number.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/araunah1337

Top Rated Seller, Guaranteed good transaction.

#684 Keisu  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 07:08 AM

Chris Hahn
5090 Oakmont Bend Dr
ALPHARETTA, Georgia 30004-3938

http://www.ebay.com/usr/araunah1337

Top Rated Seller, Guaranteed good transaction.

#685 shrike4242   Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else. CAGiversary!   44018 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 08:36 PM

I might have a buyer on Amazon trying to pull a fast one on me.  First time I've had what smells like a "keep your item and my money" situation and only the second time I've had someone try to return something.

Sold a copy of GTA V SE X360 (new and sealed), shipped it via USPS Priority Mail w/insurance and signature confirmation.   Listed it as new, listed in the item description that it was new and sealed, never opened.  Shipped well within required timeframe, packaged to survive the trip without issue.

Buyer received it at 12:58PM CT today and at 2:47PM CT today, I get an email from Amazon:

"The customer called to request for a return mailing to return the item since it was not as he expected. Please provide assistance.
Thank you."

Sound like they're pulling a fast one?  I know I am.

My response:

"Please explain why this item is not as expected.  The item was new and sealed as listed in the description, shipped as such, using USPS Insured Priority Mail with Signature Confirmation."

#686 sp00ge   Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen! CAGiversary!   10209 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 09:59 PM

I might have a buyer on Amazon trying to pull a fast one on me.  First time I've had what smells like a "keep your item and my money" situation and only the second time I've had someone try to return something.

Sold a copy of GTA V SE X360 (new and sealed), shipped it via USPS Priority Mail w/insurance and signature confirmation.   Listed it as new, listed in the item description that it was new and sealed, never opened.  Shipped well within required timeframe, packaged to survive the trip without issue.

Buyer received it at 12:58PM CT today and at 2:47PM CT today, I get an email from Amazon:

"The customer called to request for a return mailing to return the item since it was not as he expected. Please provide assistance.
Thank you."

Sound like they're pulling a fast one?  I know I am.

My response:

"Please explain why this item is not as expected.  The item was new and sealed as listed in the description, shipped as such, using USPS Insured Priority Mail with Signature Confirmation."

Always, always ALWAYS accept a return request when one is requested, regardless of reason.  That alone (not accepting their return, sidestepping the issue with questions) can open you up to an A-Z claim and potentially losing your money and item.  If you check the sellers forum, you read about this happening all of the time.

The best response would be to ask the pertinent questions, but to be sure to say that you will accept the return of the item.

That said, it is possible it's a scam, or maybe they thought the CE had something else included and didn't thoroughly read the item description.  The only way to find out is to let them return it and if it comes back as something else/broken/whatever, deal with it then.

#687 shrike4242   Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else. CAGiversary!   44018 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 10:03 PM

Always, always ALWAYS accept a return request when one is requested, regardless of reason.  That alone (not accepting their return, sidestepping the issue with questions) can open you up to an A-Z claim and potentially losing your money and item.  If you check the sellers forum, you read about this happening all of the time.

The best response would be to ask the pertinent questions, but to be sure to say that you will accept the return of the item.

That said, it is possible it's a scam, or maybe they thought the CE had something else included and didn't thoroughly read the item description.  The only way to find out is to let them return it and if it comes back as something else/broken/whatever, deal with it then.

I went into Manage Returns and checked for a return request, though don't see one there yet.   I'm guessing that there isn't one yet and he was just asking about the return label?   If there isn't a return request shown in Manage Returns, is there anything I need to do?