MS Bringing It Home: E3 2008

LinkinPrime

CAGiversary!
Feedback
170 (100%)

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/events/e32008/

Dear Xbox LIVE Member,

When we launched Xbox 360 in November 2005, Xbox LIVE was integrated directly into the console. Back then, Xbox 360 was the first system to deliver access to experiences beyond just the disc in the tray. With the Xbox guide and dashboard you had access to everything on your console as well as your community.
We also imagined that Xbox experience would continuously improve over time, through the power of software.
Since launch, you’ve always pushed us to continuously innovate. It is because you spoke with one loud voice that we added new features like background downloading, 1080p support, movies and TV shows, video chat, a Marketplace blade and instant messaging.
Over time, as we’ve delivered more and more content into the Xbox LIVE Marketplace, we’ve heard from many of you that it has become increasingly difficult to find the games and content you want.
And that brings us to today.
Because of your feedback, we started rethinking the entire Xbox experience. What we discovered was that we could not only provide a better experience for you, but also something that reaches out to new audiences.
What John Schappert unveiled for the world on stage at E3 was just a sneak preview, so I wanted to share some deeper details on some of the new features in the new Xbox experience.
Here is a look at some additional features you will find interesting:
· Play from hard drive. Copy your games from the game disc and play directly from the hard drive. Not only will the drive not spin, but load times are quicker, as well. Of course, you will still need the disc in the tray to prove you own the game.
· Access Xbox LIVE Marketplace on the Web. Browse and purchase Marketplace content whenever you want from Xbox.com and it downloads automatically to your console. Purchase that new map, television episode, the latest Xbox LIVE Arcade game or set up a movie to watch when you get home from work.
· Dashboard built into the new Xbox Guide. For everyone who loves the blades interface, it’s not going away; they are now built directly in to the new Xbox guide. Every feature and option is available right from the guide. You can even access your full games library at all times. No matter where you are (in dash or in game), immediately call up your games played list and directly launch a game.
· LIVE Party system. Create a party of up to eight friends, and stay with them from one game to another, or watch a Netflix movie together, or share a slideshow of your personal photos. It works with all Xbox 360 titles, not just upcoming games. LIVE Party allows up to eight people to chat in the dashboard, so you can meet up before playing.
· Xbox LIVE Primetime. This whole new category of games is going to give you more reasons to get online with your friends. Games will support everything you’d expect, like Achievements and leader boards, but many of these games will include real prizes. You can invite your friends, and even set a reminder for an upcoming show. Each game is broadcast simultaneously, so everyone is answering the same questions. Many events will have a live host, calling the shots as they happen.
· Avatars. Your online identity started as a Gamertag - it then grew into a personalized Gamercard. Now, it has evolved even further into avatars. You can express your style, check out new outfits and share this with the community. Avatars will also be integrated into Xbox LIVE Arcade games, LIVE Party, as well as retail games.
· New display support. Because you asked for it, we are adding 16X10 over VGA or HDMI, and support for 1440x900 or 1680x1050.
This is only the beginning. Over the next few months, we will share more details on the upcoming changes.
See you online,
Marc Whitten
Gamertag- Notwen
http://majornelson.com/archive/2008...x-experience-8-person-chat-vga-plus-more.aspx

MS is bringing it home this year. Keep an eye on this page for updates as it happens. MS press briefing starts Monday July 14th. What can we expect this year...will it be as lame as it was last year, or will MS learn from their mistakes and wow us with surprises like the year before that.

The're has been speculation for quite some time that Duke Nukem 3D is coming to XBLA soon...how soon, well MS did surprise us with the release of DOOM on XBLA E3 2006, so it wouldn't be shocking to see Duke Nukem hit XBLA next week...reason why I bring this up, is because of this image that has surfaced on the net:

Regardless if this is true or not, this is definately an exciting year for X360 owners, specially with the new gen of gaming consoles now in full competiton.

Watch the live conference here:

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope this year is more then "Hay Guyz Look We Gotz Disney Movies on teh Xbox Live Marketplace!!!1111"

I would prefer it if their presentation weren't Avatar focused. I assume they'll confirm price drops, and, Whedon willing, an updated Dashboard.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']Didn't they put Sonic up during the conference last year? Or am I making that up?[/QUOTE]

Yeah. They did. And as you can see by my avatar, I was more than happy to hear that.

Here's to hoping they announce Sonic 3 + Knuckles!

I dunno what to think about E3 this year nothing on the radar is making me jump that I don't already know about. If they said they were releasing all the megaman games to the xbla then I would become a stay at home dad

How much you want to bet this version of duke 3d has been edited from the original release? (meaning no strippers :( )

If that Banjo motion thing is true, who fucking cares? If it's just a stupid "wiggle the controller and he'll spin around!" gimmick, I would rather not. Motions controls are so incredibly overrated, and nobody is doing anything interesting with it.

I hate e3 in July because we know the majority of the games that are coming this fall/winter. I don't really care about there motion sensor controller, all I want to see is more games that haven't been announced yet(including arcade titles).

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']If that Banjo motion thing is true, who fucking cares? If it's just a stupid "wiggle the controller and he'll spin around!" gimmick, I would rather not. Motions controls are so incredibly overrated, and nobody is doing anything interesting with it.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I've hated motion controls so far and hope MS stays away from them. But I think we'll have to expect all consoles next gen to launch with motion control.

Fact: provided they don't make it required for anything and always keep it optional, I don't even care if they add motion control.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']Fact: provided they don't make it required for anything and always keep it optional, I don't even care if they add motion control.[/QUOTE]

That would be the case for the 360 since it would be an add on. Next gen, we'll probably see a lot more games either totally motion controlled or with unavoidable motion control portions.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Agreed. I've hated motion controls so far and hope MS stays away from them. But I think we'll have to expect all consoles next gen to launch with motion control.[/quote]

Ditto on the first one, and God I hope not on the second one.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']WTF?! Is this real...it doesn't say anything about it being for the X360.[/QUOTE]

it was initially for the PC I think, but I think MS picked it up, plus too many design choices of design (A button, light indicating which player you are, etc.) point to Xbox 360. Watch the games section to see how you can rest the controller like a katana stand.

or here:

darwin%20white_p3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
^

I thought MS wanted to be user friendly? That was why they were going with motion control as an attempt to capture that non-hardcore market. That controller does not look easy to use.

Try putting your hands together as if you were holding that stick. 2 fists on top of eachother and point around the corners of your tv. I can't believe that anyone at microsoft would find it fun to use that to point to your tv.

It looks like a good "sword" controller but not much after that. Maybe you only use 1 hand when pointing at the television...

i'll never understand why everyone wants spoil news announcements before E3. E3 is extremely exciting to watch Live, you never know what's going to be revealed.

Man, remember the Twilight Princess announcement? Everyone flipped out. The chat room on AIM that CAG users were in flipped out. People in attendance flipped out. The entire fucking internet flipped out. It was amazing.

[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=1NteN19qdHw[/media]

[quote name='LinkinPrime']WTF?! Is this real...it doesn't say anything about it being for the X360.[/quote]

I think it is just a third party add-on.

[quote name='naiku']^

I thought MS wanted to be user friendly? That was why they were going with motion control as an attempt to capture that non-hardcore market. That controller does not look easy to use.

Try putting your hands together as if you were holding that stick. 2 fists on top of eachother and point around the corners of your tv. I can't believe that anyone at microsoft would find it fun to use that to point to your tv.

It looks like a good "sword" controller but not much after that. Maybe you only use 1 hand when pointing at the television...[/quote]

Maybe it breaks apart into two pieces?

[quote name='Scorch']i'll never understand why everyone wants spoil news announcements before E3. E3 is extremely exciting to watch Live, you never know what's going to be revealed.

Man, remember the Twilight Princess announcement? Everyone flipped out. The chat room on AIM that CAG users were in flipped out.[/QUOTE]

Greatest reaction ever = people in said CAG chatroom furiously losing their shit over Sony putting motion control in the Sixaxis. "THEY CAN'T DO THAT!!!!"

That weird controller does split into two. I wonder if it has dual IR sensors, or any IR at all.

E3 better have some good shit this year. Last year was a dud versus previous years. $90 hula hoop game, an embarassing RB performance, and a slightly smaller PSP. Thats all I can remember from the press conferences. I suspect they will reveal the 360 Miis during this conference.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Greatest reaction ever = people in said CAG chatroom furiously losing their shit over Sony putting motion control in the Sixaxis. "THEY CAN'T DO THAT!!!!"[/QUOTE]

Yeah that shit was hilarious. :D

[quote name='TC']Yeah that shit was hilarious. :D[/quote]
Anyone know if there's going to be a chatroom or something this year? I think it would be a blast to be in.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']Can't wait to wait another week for it because I have silver!!!![/quote]

You have a couple more days to find a free trial month of gold;)

I'm hoping for a Banjo demo, but doubt we'll get one this soon... :(

Also, even if that controller is bunk, I'm def. gonna try making one in Spore...

[quote name='Scorch']i'll never understand why everyone wants spoil news announcements before E3. E3 is extremely exciting to watch Live, you never know what's going to be revealed.
[/QUOTE]

I never even watch the stuff live. I don't give enough of a shit about it. I also don't care about having it "spoiled" early either.

I just skim the forms here and always find out what games to keep an eye out on well before they're release, so I've never really cared that much about E3 and other shows beyond checking the threads here.

Listening to E3 live is pretty painful really. It's like listening to an hour and a half marketing pitch from each company about how great their system(s) is(are).

I am SOOOOOOOO looking forward to Fallout 3 that it's not even fucking funny. Put FarCry 2 and Saints Row 2 next in line and I have my fall / winter taken care of.

Ign is streaming using move networks technology (requires plugin) which can look much better than standard streaming, if it's implemented right.

Edit: Doh, guyver beat me.

bread's done
Back