Call of Duty: World at War - Gen. Disc. & Info

Littlefields

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)

Release Date: Nov 11
Update October 1, 2008 (Gameplay videos)

Features

Call of Duty®: World at War™ changes the rules of engagement by thrusting players into tension-filled, unforgiving battles against a new ferocious enemy in the most dangerous and suspenseful action ever seen in World War II.
Experience an uncensored edge to combat, as soldiers face the most harrowing and climactic European and Pacific battles in which an enemy, who knows no surrender and no retreat, fights to the last breath, unleashing an arsenal of lethal surprising tactics. Peril and danger lurk throughout the battlefield as players combat the unknown risk of the new chaos of battle.

• Final battles: Play as a U.S. Marine or Russian conscript across a variety of European and Pacific infantry, vehicle and airborne missions. An all new depth of WWII-era combat variety, from the unique and varying locations that traverse the ruins of Western Europe to the harsh wetlands of Imperial Japan, immerses gamers into an adrenaline-filled, epic struggle.
  • Co-op campaign mode: "No One Fights Alone" takes on new meaning as players can complete the entire single player campaign with up to four players online or two players via split-screen (both online and offline). Complete unique co-op challenges to earn rewards and bragging rights. The title takes the perks, rankings and online stats players love in multiplayer, and builds them into the cooperative campaign, adding even more variety, replayability, and fun.
  • Multiplayer modes: Vehicles have been added to the multiplayer experience, featuring player rankings, upgradeable weapons, squad-based gameplay, map scripting, and customizable classes and perks.
  • Unprecedented WWII cinematic quality: Utilizing the jaw-dropping and revolutionary Call of Duty® 4: Modern Warfare engine, Call of Duty: World at War delivers an unprecedented level of visual and cinematic effects. Highly-detailed character models, self-shadowing, environmental lighting, and amazing special effects up the authenticity to new heights. Depth of field, rim-lighting, and texture-streaming technology bring the adrenaline-pumping combat to life. Physics-enabled battlefields and destructible cover immerse players into the harrowing and dynamic combat.
Achievements: (Coming Soon)

Update September 26, 2008

Collectors Edition Revealed:

• Day 1 Edge: Dominate your rivals online and rank up faster with your instantly available FG 42 Machine Gun. The FG 42 is a high-level (45+) machine gun which you can have from day-one. Saw through your opponents from 50 yards with this fast firing machine gun.

• Double Experience: Take advantage of a week of double experience in multiplayer to accelerate your advancement. (Limited time offer. Exact date for week of double experience will be announced on CallOfDuty.com, register online to receive confirmation of date and time and other key information.)

• Colored Clan Tag: Identify your VIP-status in multiplayer with a uniquely colored clan tag.

• Stainless Steel Canteen: Authentic 8-ounce brushed stainless steel Call of Duty branded canteen.

• Metal Storage Tin: Featuring Call of Duty inspired artwork, this collectable metal storage tin provides enough space to store multiple games and their cases.

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/41782/Call-of-Duty-World-at-War-Limited-Collectors-Edition

Update September 5, 2008 (Beta Info)
http://www.callofduty.com/hub

September 4, 2008 - Activision has revealed that Call of Duty: World at War is going into beta testing this October. The beta for the highly-anticiapted first-person shooter is going to be available to Xbox 360 and PC gamers. While entry details are still sketchy for the PC version, Xbox 360 owners can get a chance to participate in the beta by either registering on the official Call of Duty web site, or by pre-ordering the game at any GameStop retail outlet.

Treyarch Studio Head Mark Lamia was very excited about the beta announcement and wrote in a public statement, "We are excited to share a sneak peak of Call of Duty: World at War multiplayer with the community…The team has worked hard to build upon the great history and foundation of Call of Duty multiplayer and we can't wait to go online to ramp up for our November launch."

While an exact beta date was not announced, it was revealed that those who participate in the upcoming beta will get an early chance to experience the game's new squad system, as well as fan favorite perks and kill streaks. The full version of Call of Duty: World at War will launch on November 11, and will also be available on the Playstation 3, Wii, and Nintendo DS.
From http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/907/907752p1.html
Once again thanks to retail sucks.

Update August 24, 2008 (New Gameplay Video)

Update July 17, 2008 (Kiefer Sutherlan and Co-Op Video)
Co-Op Video -http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/890/890656p1.html

JJack Bauer is in Call of Duty: World at War. At least, that's according to the announcement Tuesday evening when Activision revealed that actor Kiefer Sutherland of the popular show 24 will voice a major character in the upcoming World War II shooter.

We got to hear Sutherland's voice soon after, as Activision showed off footage of a two-player co-op game set in the Peleliu level. World at War will support four player co-op online and two-player splitscreen.

The level began with an American squad moving through a swamp, with Sutherland's voice recognizable as he's giving orders. They come across a crashed American fighter, still smoldering from being shot down. Investigating the pilot's fate, they discover his body is booby-trapped with a grenade, which explodes, sending a Marine hurling and triggering a Japanese ambush, with Imperial Japanese soldiers coming out of the foliage. It's intense.
From
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/890/890656p1.html
Thanks anomynous!

Update July 10, 2008 (New Screenshots)

Update June 17, 2008 (Trailer)
The next Call of Duty® is being revealed! You can watch the premiere of the worldwide reveal trailer for Call of Duty: World at War only on Xbox LIVE® Marketplace June 21.
Call of Duty: World at War completely changes the rules of engagement by redefining WWII gaming and thrusting players into the final tension-filled, unforgiving battles against a new ferocious enemy in the most dangerous and suspenseful action ever seen.
Powered by Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare™ technology, Call of Duty: World at War brings an uncensored edge to combat, as soldiers face the most harrowing and climactic European and Pacific battles in which an enemy, who knows no surrender and no retreat, will fight to the last breath, unleashing an arsenal of lethal surprising tactics. Peril and danger lurk throughout the battlefield as players combat the unknown risk of the new chaos of battle.
From the remains of Russia and the ruins of Berlin, to the beach and jungles of the deadly Pacific Theater, the volatile action takes on added depth as players employ new features that previously were only available in multiplayer, including perks, rankings and online stats in up to four-player cooperative gameplay, and take advantage of the new infantry and vehicle-based weapons, like the potent flamethrower, that will set the battlefield ablaze.
From
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/news/2008/0617-worldatwar.htm

Update June 23, 2008 (4-Player Co-op)
Screenshots:

Sydney, Australia – June 23, 2008 – Leave your packs and bring extra ammo, Activision, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATVI) and Treyarch, announced today that they will be taking Call of Duty players deep into the South Pacific and European theatres this spring for Call of Duty: World at War™, a gritty fight that will pit players against enemies that know no surrender and show no mercy. Utilizing the Call of Duty 4®: Modern Warfare engine, Call of Duty: World at War throws out the rulebook of war to transform WWII combat through a new enemy, new tactics and an uncensored experience of the climatic battles that gripped a generation. As U.S. Marines and Russian soldiers, players will employ new features like cooperative gameplay, and weapons such as the flamethrower in the most chaotic and cinematically intense experience to date.
“With Call of Duty: World at War, we’re re-defining what it means to play a WWII game,” said Mark Lamia, Studio Head for Treyarch. “We’re excited to give players a host of new enemies that employ entirely new tactics, as well as new, groundbreaking tools – like co-op and the flamethrower – to succeed in the epic fight.”
Call of Duty: World at War introduces co-operative play, bringing fresh meaning to the “No One Fights Alone” mantra with up to four-players online for Xbox 360, PS3 and PC, or two-player local split-screen on consoles. Nintendo Wii will also support a unique co-op mode for two players. For the first time ever players will experience harrowing single-player missions together for greater camaraderie and tactical execution. The co-op campaign allows players to rank up and unlock perks in competitive multiplayer by completing challenges and earning experience points, adding continuous re-playability and team-based gameplay. Whether playing competitively or cooperatively – if players are online with Call of Duty: World at War – they will always gain experience points. Based on a player’s experience rank and rank of the player’s friends, Call of Duty: World at War will scale dynamically to provide a deeper level of challenge.
Call of Duty: World at War is in development for the Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system, Nintendo® Wii™ and Games for Windows® PC. The title is scheduled for release this spring and has not yet been rated by the OFLC.
For more information and exclusive updates about Call of Duty: World at War, visit www.callofduty.com.
From Sydney Announcement

Last edited by a moderator:
Hahahaa, cute? What the hell, Blood?

Anyways, the thing I'm most excited about in this game is the fact that, say 4 friends join a ground war match, and they are now in a team with 9 people, those 4 dudes will be recognized as a "squad" and will always spawn near one another and have other (yet unnamed) perks with each other.

I think that's pretty damn awesome!

[quote name='Simon D I']Hahahaa, cute? What the hell, Blood?

Anyways, the thing I'm most excited about in this game is the fact that, say 4 friends join a ground war match, and they are now in a team with 9 people, those 4 dudes will be recognized as a "squad" and will always spawn near one another and have other (yet unnamed) perks with each other.

I think that's pretty damn awesome![/quote]

where did you see that? that sounds totally badass!

I'm already down for this. The fact that it is WW2 based again will keep some ignorant assholes away from the game.

[quote name='Simon D I']

I think that's pretty damn awesome![/QUOTE]

Sounds like the same set-up as in Battlefield: BC, but with the perks

[quote name='Khondor']Sounds like the same set-up as in Battlefield: BC, but with the perks[/quote]

Seriously.

I will only commend Treyarch on the idea if they allow open voice chat instead of, the disagreeable, squad-only voice chat.

I enjoyed the X-Files movie advertisement that read "I want to believe." That is exactly my opinion of World at War: I want to believe, Treyarch! I want to believe!

As for Anomynous' update, it looks great. You hear that, Treyarch? I'm praising you.

So far, so good.

I knew it was Kiefer, I just wasn't sure if he was supposed to be the captain.

He better yell "DAMN IT" in the game

I'm looking forward to this. I didn't hate CoD3 which seems to be the popular thing around here. I didn't think it was as good as 2 or 4, but it was still fun to go through the campaign on it. I never took it online. This is looking good so far though.

I like it. I mean, that's not much more I can say. It looks like a competent title in the Call of Duty series. I like how RPGs are seemingly handled, as I didn't dig the sights for RPGs in Call of Duty 4. The reloading looked a bit fast, though. The aggressive, in-your-face enemies looked neat. One thing that puzzled me in a previous video was how tanks were flammable. Are tanks flammable? Would they really explode due to one person wielding a flame thrower? That seemed a bit odd.

[quote name='chasemurata']I like it. I mean, that's not much more I can say. It looks like a competent title in the Call of Duty series. I like how RPGs are seemingly handled, as I didn't dig the sights for RPGs in Call of Duty 4. The reloading looked a bit fast, though. The aggressive, in-your-face enemies looked neat. One thing that puzzled me in a previous video was how tanks were flammable. Are tanks flammable? Would they really explode due to one person wielding a flame thrower? That seemed a bit odd.[/quote]
Are you sure that wasen't from the grenade? I would imagine no, since there sprits of flames everywhere in a battlefield. Odd indeed.

[quote name='twen']I'm already down for this. The fact that it is WW2 based again will keep some ignorant assholes away from the game.[/quote]

VERY TRUE! COD4 was so good until the Halo crowd found it. Now its full of N this and F that. COD3 online never suffered from that and was a ton of fun because of it.

im still a little unsure about jumping back to WWII, for some reason i dont think i will be able to unlock a red dot or acog scope for that sten gun hes packing...

[quote name='SoulReaver']I'm not really impressed. Doesn't seem to be a real step-up from COD4[/quote]

What? It basically is COD4 re-skinned.

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/call-of-duty-5/902865p1.html

U.S. Weapons:

# Thompson M1A1
# M1A1 Carbine
# M1 Garand
# Trench Shotgun
# Browning Automatic Rifle (B.A.R)
# Springfield M1903
# Springfield M1903: Scoped
# M2 flamethrower
# M1911 (aka Colt 45)
# Bayonet
# M9 Bazooka
# M1919A6 Browning
# M2 machinegun

Explosives:

# MK2 Frag Grenade
# Smoke Grenade
# Satchel Charges
# Mines

Russian Weapons:

# TT-33
# Mosin Nagant
# Mosin Nagant Scoped
# PPSH (71 round Drum Magazine)
# PPSH (31 round Banana Magazine)
# Bayonet

Explosives:

# RGD-33

German Weapons:

# P08 Luger
# Kar98
# Kar98 scoped
# MP44
# MP40
# MG42
# MG34
# Messer

Explosives:

# Handle-grenade (aka potato masher)

Japanese Weapons:

# Nambu 14
# Arisaka Typ 99
# Type 100 Submachine gun
# Bayonet
# Katana

Explosives:

# Kiska grenade

British Weapons:

# Sten

Unlockable Perks:

# Juggernaut (more health)
# Sleight of Hand (faster reload)
# Extreme Conditioning (longer sprint distance)
# Martyrdom (drop live grenade when you die)
# Steady Aim
# Bandolier (larger magazine pack)
# Iron Lungs
# Stopping Power
# Deep Impact
# Sonic Boom
# Last Stand
# Monkey (better at climbing trees)
# Frogman (faster swim speed)
# Play Dead
# Crouch Sprinter
# Banzai

Minimum System Requirements:

# CPU: AMD 64 3200+/Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz +
# Memory: 512MB (XP) / 1GB (VISTA)
# HD Space: 8 Gigabyte
# Gfx Card: 256MB Nvidia 6600GT/ATI Radeon 1600XT or higher (Shader 3.0 or better)

Bayonet! I dig it (as that's why I suggested it). Mines sound fun. Oh, and Katana? Yes, please. The new perks sound very promising. I wonder what Banzai entails.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/907/907752p1.html

September 4, 2008 - Activision has revealed that Call of Duty: World at War is going into beta testing this October. The beta for the highly-anticiapted first-person shooter is going to be available to Xbox 360 and PC gamers. While entry details are still sketchy for the PC version, Xbox 360 owners can get a chance to participate in the beta by either registering on the official Call of Duty web site, or by pre-ordering the game at any GameStop retail outlet.

Treyarch Studio Head Mark Lamia was very excited about the beta announcement and wrote in a public statement, "We are excited to share a sneak peak of Call of Duty: World at War multiplayer with the community…The team has worked hard to build upon the great history and foundation of Call of Duty multiplayer and we can't wait to go online to ramp up for our November launch."

While an exact beta date was not announced, it was revealed that those who participate in the upcoming beta will get an early chance to experience the game's new squad system, as well as fan favorite perks and kill streaks. The full version of Call of Duty: World at War will launch on November 11, and will also be available on the Playstation 3, Wii, and Nintendo DS.

Official CoD:WW site (sign-up)
http://www.callofduty.com/hub

or if your already a CharlieOscarDelta member you can sign in without registering, plus you can recover your rank here:

www.callofduty.com/points

[quote name='Littlefields']Big ups to retail sucks. Play dead? Lol, and they thought Martyrdom was bad. I'm also assuming there would be quite a bit of swimming.[/QUOTE]

No problem. I didn't see the info on TeamXbox, IGN, or anywhere else. Luckily I still receive newsletters from GameSpy, though I quit posting there after joining CAG years ago my account is still active :)

I signed up at the official Call of Duty website. Hopefully, I get to play the beta of a game I will actually buy.

More info on the Beta:

We know you have a ton of questions about the upcoming CoD: WW Beta, so we put together a quick FAQ on the Xbox 360 Beta. Stay tuned, we’re in the process of developing a much more in-depth FAQ on the PC and Xbox 360 Betas.

QUESTION: What is the CoD: WW Xbox 360 Beta?
ANSWER: Treyarch is recruiting dedicated Call of Duty fans of to help test Call of Duty: World at War’s performance from a gameplay and backend standpoint. Feedback and performance data from this Beta will be instrumental in ensuring CoD: WW’s success from Day One! This Beta will have a limited space so make sure you get your name in the hat to get a token!

QUESTION: Who gets to be in the CoD: WW Xbox 360 Beta?
ANSWER: For U.S. consumers, read on to find out more. For our international comrades, many more countries will have access to the Beta program, so stay tuned! People interested in joining the beta in the U.S. can join one of two ways:

1. Guarantee a spot by pre-ordering the game through GameStop or
  2. Getting first-crack at a token by heading to CallOfDuty.com and signing on as a new community member. Remember, space is limited so the earlier you register, the more likely you’ll get a token.

QUESTION: If I already have an account on Callofduty.com, should I create a new one?
ANSWER: No! See below for how the handout of tokens will work, but if you already have an account with us there is no need to sign up anywhere, you’re already in line!

QUESTION: How does token distribution work for members of CallofDuty.com?
ANSWER: To reward the most dedicated CoD fans, the order of distribution on CallofDuty.com is as follows:

1. Charlie Oscar Delta members who migrated their accounts over to CallOfDuty.com
  2. CallofDuty.com members
    (CallofDuty.com members will be prioritized by they date in which they joined CallofDuty.com. The longer they’ve been a member, the better chance they have of getting a Beta Token.)

QUESTION: How will we get the keys?
ANSWER: Beta keys will be emailed to the address you have associated with your membership on CallofDuty.com. We will be announcing the start of the Beta on CallofDuty.com as well as emailing everyone selected to participate.

QUESTION: When will the beta start and how long will it last?
ANSWER: The beta is tentatively slated for October and will conclude prior to the game’s November 11th launch. As soon as we approach the launch of the Beta, we will notify everyone who is eligible to participate.

QUESTION: Will I have the opportunity to provide feedback?
ANSWER: Absolutely. When the beta launches, we’ll provide information about how you can communicate back to Treyarch.

QUESTION: Will there be a PS3 beta? If not, why?
ANSWER: No, there won’t be a PS3 beta. The Xbox 360 and PC environments will provide the feedback that we need to make any back-end technical modifications to the co-op and multiplayer features, which means an optimized experience for everyone, independent of the console they own.

QUESTION: When will more information be released on the PC beta?
ANSWER: More information on the PC beta will be posted soon, please stay tuned. The PC beta is also planned for October.

http://www.callofduty.com/intel/143

I swear I had a Charlie Oscar Delta account but I guess now. I remember playing the CoD4 beta...

Oh well, I made a new one. I hope I get a code!

Collectors Edition Revealed:

• Call of Duty: World at War videogame
  • World at War branded canteen
  • FG 42 Machine Gun available on Day 1 (Usually a Level 45+ weapon)
  • One week of Double-XP goodness
  • Colored Clan Tag (In-game multiplayer character indicator)
  • Stylish tin box to place above-listed treats

Hopefully I'll get the beta test because this is the first game in awhile that I've seriously considered getting at launch.

Thanks LinkinPrime for the updating of the post. I'll try to stay on top of this once more info is released.

@the Beta release info:

I'm almost certain I won't get a token due to the fact that I was one of those that registered a few days after the announcement. I really hope there's enough tokens to go around. Perhaps they will release some extra ones later on? Please IW! PLEASE!

[quote name='Littlefields']

@the Beta release info:

I'm almost certain I won't get a token due to the fact that I was one of those that registered a few days after the announcement. I really hope there's enough tokens to go around. Perhaps they will release some extra ones later on? Please IW! PLEASE![/quote]

Last year I signed up weeks after the beta was announced and was able to get in the COD4 beta. There might be hope, we'll see when they start giving out tokens.

Leaked Perks?

The perks:
Perk 1
• Special Grenades x3
• Satchel Charge x2
• M9A1 Bazooka x2
• Bomb Squad
• Bouncing Betty x2 (similar to claymores)
• Bandolier
• Primary Grenades x2
• M2 Flamethrower
Perk 2
• Stopping Power
• Fireworks (explosives cause more damage)
• Flak Jacket (decreases damage taken by explosives)
• Gas Mask
• Juggernaut
• Camouflage
• Sleight of Hand
• Shades (decreases intensity of signal flares)
• Double Tap
• Overkill
Perk 3
• Deep Impact
• Extreme Conditioning
• Steady Aim
• Toss Back (resets fuse on tossing back enemy grenade)
• Second Chance (ability to revive allies)
• Martyrdom
• Fireproof
• Dead Silence
• Iron Lungs
• Reconnaissance (shows artillery and tanks on map)
Vehicle Perk
• Water Cooler
• Greased Bearings
• Ordnance Training
• Leadfoot
• Coaxial Machine Gun

Source:
Link

[quote name='SoulReaver']Ehhh I dunno about the leaked perk list. Seems possible but come on, the second chance perk seems to be too good.[/quote]

The medic class in COD3 was able to revive teammates, that isnt too far-fetched id say.

I heard from a big COD4 fan that got to play Cod:WW last week at the Activision event. he basically said COD:WW > COD4. just FYI. don't sleep on this game..

1. I will buy the Collector's Edition if I can find it on release day.

2. What happened to the Katana and Bayonet perk?

3. Only two frag grenades? Damn. :whistle2:(

4. I am very excited for this game.

[quote name='glockant']I heard from a big COD4 fan that got to play Cod:WW last week at the Activision event. he basically said COD:WW > COD4. just FYI. don't sleep on this game..[/quote]

I'm sure it'll be good, but I don't know that I can play yet another WW2 game multiplayer.

[quote name='KansasFF']has anyone preordered the game at a gamestop? If so did you receive a beta key?[/quote]

You took the words outta my mouth. I gotta go trade a few things in tomorrow at Gamestop and i'm planning on moving the credit i've currently got on Socom over to this. Didn't even realize this was coming out so soon. Between this and Gears 2 no time for another shooter plus the beta is free and Socom is another $60. :D

bread's done
Back