Sony to start PS3 GH line with Motor Storm, Resistance and Warhawk

neocisco

CAGiversary!
Feedback
313 (100%)
Since the original title wasn't up to FriskyTanuki's standards I've upgraded it.;) CC's release list has these 3 games listed on 7/28 as GH for $29.99. I didn't see a topic on the first 2 pages of the PS3 forum but if it's already been posted then delete away, mods.

Last edited by a moderator:
well, I was considering resistance and warhawk for the coupon this week, but that can wait now, thanks!

[quote name='v1et r1ce']Sweet. Does this Warhawk come with the headset?[/QUOTE]I don't think so, since SCEA discontinued the headset bundle long ago (they shipped disc only copies for a bit).

If they're greatest hits copies, mind changing the title to "Sony to Start GH Lineup with Resistance, Warhawk on 7/28 at $30" or something like that? That would be more of the story than just price drops.

I really wish the GH were $20 instead. I already have Warhawk and got my moneys worth at full price. I still don't think I'd pick up Resistance at that price yet.

[quote name='TimPV3']I like the sweet red cases, and I'm usually against GH packaging.[/quote]

It looks like they finally got it (mostly) right. They changed the color of the case without messing with the cover art (except the small red bar at the top). MS has changed both the cover and case for 2 gens now.

I'm tempted to pick up Resistance just to avoid getting stuck with a GH label, even though I figured long ago I would wait for $19.99. Maybe I should use my $10 code for Amazon in the next couple of weeks, then price adjust later.

[quote name='neocisco']It looks like they finally got it (mostly) right. They changed the color of the case without messing with the cover art (except the small red bar at the top). MS has changed both the cover and and case for 2 gens now.[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing. And it's weird, for some reason the red case is much less annoying to me than the red stripe on PS2 GH games, even though that doesn't seem to make sense. I think clear cases just look really nice. For instance, bright green Xbox cases = ugh. Bright green but translucent Xbox/360 cases = woo.

[quote name='freakyzeeky']But like look like HD-DVD cases... o_O[/quote]

I wonder if Sony just saw some case manufacturer clearing out their inventory and thought, heeey... :lol:

[quote name='metaly']

I wonder if Sony just saw some case manufacturer clearing out their inventory and thought, heeey... :lol:[/quote]

:applause:

-Sony: "We must try and save every penny we can to minimize losses this financial quarter" :cry:
-Toshiba: "Okey dokey... wanna give us your cell factories, and we'll pay you with our unused HD-DVD cases for life" :cool:
-Sony: "Hmm... You know, that wouldn't be such a bad idea after all." :D

:lol:

[quote name='freakyzeeky']:applause:

-Sony: "We must try and save every penny we can to minimize losses this financial quarter" :cry:
-Toshiba: "Okey dokey... wanna give us your cell factories, and we'll pay you with our unused HD-DVD cases for life" :cool:
-Sony: "Hmm... You know, that wouldn't be such a bad idea after all." :D

:lol:[/quote]

:bow:Holy Crap that must be what was going on. LOL:bow:

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I like these cases better than the red bars. at least if you really hate the red you can get a white clear case and switch it.[/quote]

Yeah I agree, if they just changed the casing to red and kept the original boxart, that would keep people happy with others bitchin' about changing it to PH or GH crap. Plus the red cases would stand out better. Overall I like to red case change, like mentioned earlier it doesn't change the origianl boxart unlike the XB360 ones.

I like this a lot more then the PS1 PS2 ones. At least it isn't taking 1/5 of the cover like the PSone games.

The cases look much better this time, but I already own them all. ;)

I expect later this year, Heavenly Sword, R&C Future (it just barely sold enough over time), and Uncharted to be added.

It will be interesting to see what sales a game needs to sell to qualify for third party games (I expect the announcement at E3).

I was hoping they'd be $25, I knew 20 would be too low, but 25 seemed reasonable, especially for warhawk which was only 40 to begin with. I wonder if the download price will drop too, maybe they'll have psn greatest hits too. That would make even more sense to me because distribution charges are practically nothing, so they may as well drop every psn game in price a bit after a year or two.

[quote name='happy']I was hoping they'd be $25, I knew 20 would be too low, but 25 seemed reasonable, especially for warhawk which was only 40 to begin with. I wonder if the download price will drop too, maybe they'll have psn greatest hits too. That would make even more sense to me because distribution charges are practically nothing, so they may as well drop every psn game in price a bit after a year or two.[/QUOTE]With how stingy SCEA has been with universal price drops on PS3 games (most of them, were retailers choices), I figured the cheapest they'd make them would be $30 (that's what MS does). Although, in some ways I thought SCEA was going to make them $40 (since that's technically budget game next generation).

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Although, in some ways I thought SCEA was going to make them $40 (since that's technically budget game next generation).[/quote]
Maybe next gen, but $30 is budget this gen. I don't understand why Sony would even think about pricing the games at $40 because that's not that big of a deal at all for a budget game.

I know this is all retail, but if people really wanted these games, and I'll included HS, R&C and Uncharted in there, they could have and still get them for 30 or less already used. Especially Motorstorm as they're a dime a dozen.

Couldn't wait so picked up Resistance today new for full price...but will buy Motorstorm when it drops at the end of the month.

[quote name='StrandedBrit']I know this is all retail, but if people really wanted these games, and I'll included HS, R&C and Uncharted in there, they could have and still get them for 30 or less already used. Especially Motorstorm as they're a dime a dozen.[/QUOTE]Well, for a game to qualify for GH, they have to be out for around 9-11 months usually. Most SCEA games, don't become GH until at least a year after release. I expect those three games to be added to the GH lineup, but not until October/November. SCEA is very well known to add GH games as the year goes on. Expect some third party games in the mix.
[quote name='naes']Maybe next gen, but $30 is budget this gen. I don't understand why Sony would even think about pricing the games at $40 because that's not that big of a deal at all for a budget game.[/QUOTE]It is technically true. I mean, Earth Defense Force, Beautiful Katamari, GT5P, etc. which are considered budget games (or games that aren't quite considered full, like the last gen games starting at $20) were priced at $40 on 360 and/or PS3. I honestly can't think of a PS3 game yet (barely many 360 games either unless you are referring to Lost Planet Colonies) which released at $30.

[quote name='StrandedBrit']I know this is all retail, but if people really wanted these games, and I'll included HS, R&C and Uncharted in there, they could have and still get them for 30 or less already used. Especially Motorstorm as they're a dime a dozen.[/quote]
Now it'll be easier to get deals on the new versions of these games when GH deals come around.

If anyone remembers, the bulk of sales for many games on PS2 came from being a GH (that's one reason the Jak, Ratchet, Socom, etc. series did so well).

What I see happening (exclude Third party games here)

2nd wave:
Heavenly Sword
Ratchet & Clank Future:ToD
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

3rd Wave (1st part of 2009)
GT5: Prologue
Hot Shots Golf: OoB (usually the series becomes a GH, but I don't believe the game has sold too great)
SingStar (maybe)

4th wave (2nd part of 2009, total guess on what games I expect to sell):
LittleBigPlanet
MotorStorm 2
Resistance 2
Socom Confrontation

It's good to see a GH line coming out. I'm not a fan or the red (I think blue would be perfect) but at least they are coming out. They look better than PS2 GH.

Eh, if they used blue they'd be confused with the Bluray discs.

And, honestly, I think whoever said above that they got a great deal on cheap, cheap, cheapy, HDDVD cases.

And it also works in that the PS2 greatest hits logo had that distinctive red header.

At least from the demos Motor Storm and Resistance are of very little interest to me at least. But hopefully this means more games are on their less then 59.99 way.

Overdue, overpriced, underwhelming.

While I understand the 29.99 price point, it's pretty much a de facto drop price anyway; most of the better-than-crap games end up at 29.99, unless they were overproduced. (I have to wonder if games like VF5 and Spiderman, should they go GH, will increase in price?)

So, really, all this does is mark the A-list drops with uglier packaging without the bonus of a true bargain price point. PS2 games went from $50 to $20, a 60% drop. PS3 games go from $60 to $30, a 50% drop, making them both more expensive and less of a bargain.

This doesn't really surprise me at all with Sony pricing PS3 GH games at $29.99 similar to Microsoft and its Platinum Hits for X360. Still its a steal of deal rather than pay $60 for Resistance Fall of Man and Warhawk which are two games that I wanted since getting my PS3 in April. I expect Sony to announce this at E3 and continue adding PS3 games to the lineup maybe third party games will follow soon like Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Lost Planet, The Orange Box, Virtua Fighter 5, Heavenly Sword, etc. I really want Uncharted to become a GH game.

Um, honestly, this wasn't supposed to be some big announcement for us dedicated gamer types. We usually buy games pretty close to release for near full price (unless we can find a cheapass deal).

However, the $30 price point for some good games is still a good thing, and it can convince some of us who aren't sure that we'll like it individually to buy and try it.

[quote name='blandstalker']Overdue, overpriced, underwhelming.

While I understand the 29.99 price point, it's pretty much a de facto drop price anyway; most of the better-than-crap games end up at 29.99, unless they were overproduced. (I have to wonder if games like VF5 and Spiderman, should they go GH, will increase in price?)

So, really, all this does is mark the A-list drops with uglier packaging without the bonus of a true bargain price point. PS2 games went from $50 to $20, a 60% drop. PS3 games go from $60 to $30, a 50% drop, making them both more expensive and less of a bargain.[/QUOTE]There's a $10 price increase on games in general next gen, not percentage. The big issue is, developing a PS3/360 game just isn't as cheap like last gen (also, using a blu-ray disc is slightly more expensive than DVD discs), which explains the price increase. I wouldn't be surprised if the weakening U.S. Dollar factors into this also (everything around us, the price is going up). MS released Platinum Hits at $29.99 on 360, so why expect them to be any cheaper on PS3?? Also, in order for a game to go Greatest Hit, it has to be out for a while, and normally SCEA sticks to their tradition of bringing GH around the 2nd E3 when a console is released (PS2 GH came around E3 2002, which was May 2002, PSP GH came on E3 2006, etc.).

The reasons Warhawk, MotorStorm, and Resistance got added because they sold enough to qualify, and they've been out for around a year (Third party games which fit the same criteria may be added). Some retailers without a doubt drop them early, but there's no denying just having a GH section in retailers is more appealing to the casual consumer (I remember with NPD last gen, many top selling PS2 games were GH. I remember some games like AC4 tripling in sales when it became a GH).
[quote name='psmgamer']This doesn't really surprise me at all with Sony pricing PS3 GH games at $29.99 similar to Microsoft and its Platinum Hits for X360. Still its a steal of deal rather than pay $60 for Resistance Fall of Man and Warhawk which are two games that I wanted since getting my PS3 in April. I expect Sony to announce this at E3 and continue adding PS3 games to the lineup maybe third party games will follow soon like Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Lost Planet, The Orange Box, Virtua Fighter 5, Heavenly Sword, etc. I really want Uncharted to become a GH game.[/QUOTE]Lost Planet and The Orange Box will probably never be GH on PS3 (LP did badly on PS3 and I don't believe Orange Box did well). VF5 and NG Sigma are quite possible. I kind of wonder if EA will put NFS Carbon as a GH since it sold pretty well on PS3, although the game is a bit old (I know NFS Prostreet will be one).

[quote name='neocisco']I wonder how long it will be before Heavenly Sword and Lair are deemed GH?[/quote]

When they both start selling units? ;)

You can pick both of these up right now for under the GH price at Gamestop this week with the coupon floating around.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']There's a $10 price increase on games in general next gen, not percentage. [/quote]

There's a $10 increase in MSRP for newly released games. This should not translate to a $10 increase in MSRP for greatest hits. It means that the greatest hits games, in comparison to last generation, are even more expensive (as a function of their relative cost) than the newly released games.

This is why I went into percentages. People have accepted the $10 extra for newly released games, mainly because they don't have much choice. PS3 and 360 games generally retail at $60, which is 20% more than last generation's $50. Looking at greatest hits, $30 is 50% more than $20.

Or, simply: $10 is a much bigger chunk of money at the $20/$30 price point. $30 for GH costs more (absolutely) and is much less of a bargain (relatively).

Greatest Hits serves a variety of purposes, but one of the big ones is spurring additional sales of older games by putting them at the magic impulse-buy price point. Even on CAG, $20 is a magic number and will induce people to buy games even if they would otherwise wait.

There is no proof at all that $30 will produce the same sort of behavior. On the one hand, $30 is better than $60. On the other hand, there are plenty of games that are already $30 or less. I also don't foresee, in a bad economy, people spontaneously deciding that their impulse buy threshold should go up, and certainly not by that much.

What is a very likely outcome is that the $30 GH price point will drive sales of used games. This is certainly the case with me since I can get games that retail for ~$30 for

bread's done
Back