Amazon: Left 4 Dead (PC) - $44.99

Isn't left 4 dead out in like november o_o. This reminds me of the time one of those site said they had GoW in stock like 2 months early or something xD.

[quote name='Green Card200']It is a preorder.[/quote]
ah that would make more sense. the three day shipping in the green font threw me off when i skimmed the page xD.

I wonder if Valve will do what they had with the Orange Box where if you preordered on Steam, they let you play the beta for Team Fortress 2 for a month before the games actually came out.

I guess I'm just too cheap but $40-$50 still feels like a lot to me for one multiplayer only game. Especially after Valve released so much in the Orange Box for the same price last year.

I'll hold out for a Fry's deal on release, like Orange Box. Nothin like price matching at Best Buy using a $5 off coupon I will probably have saved up from Rewards Zone.

[quote name='Hostile']Not looking forward to the game at all but y'know, Steam will probably have it at this price.[/quote]

Steam is rarely lower then Amazon.

Orange Box was their game(s), too, but that was listed at $50 for a while, if I recall right.

Steam generally will do a 10% discount on games for preorders. This'll bring L4D down to $44.99. Almost guaranteed.

You get it faster than newegg for $5 more, or you could get it from newegg and save $5, or you could wait for Black Friday/Fry's/Christmas shopping and hope it goes cheaper. Do note that the Orange Box went for $37 about 2 weeks after release at Fry's, then hit ~30 around black friday, which was a month after release. Orange Box is arguably a higher profile game than L4D due to value, so L4D has a decent chance of hitting $30-40 by the end of the year.

On steam it's very likely that they'll do preloading where you get to download the game and it'll get unlocked on midnight release date. Also if you look at Team Fortress 2 where it constantly getting new contents and updates, L4D is probably getting the same support.

I'm really hoping for an early beta for the ones who preorder cause I preordered orange box the second I saw TF2 beta.

Amazon has it for $36.99 with free super-saver shipping and pre-order price guarantee. Hopefully it means what I think it means, where the price after the moment of pre-order purchase never goes UP while any negative change in price is credited.

I'm doing this:
Pre-order it now and use amazon prime trial in Nov.
See if there is a better deal via steam or a pre-launch beta, weigh out the prices.
Cancel the order if I find a better deal
or
Will wait for more than a week to see if black friday has a deal. Which maybe risky. While I got OB for $25 during BF, OB was released in October. L4D will be released about 10 days before BF.
or
just pricewatch during Dec if you don't want the game ASAP. Fry's is a swell place.

(and avoid the death trap gamestop at all costs)

How does pre-ordering online work? Personally I have never tried. I think at most I have pre-ordered a game at Gamestop once, but everything else I wait for weeks after release for a dip in the price.

If I preorder at either Amazon or NewEgg, can I:

1. Cancel the order should I find a better deal or Steam releases something better?

2. Are they pretty good about keeping preorders and shipping out on time? I always worry a pre-order will get lost and not make it to me. :(

Left 4 Dead is one of the few games I am willing to jump on early, because both my friends and I are looking for some coop zombie fun. The prices seem reasonable, but I would like to know I can easily cancel the order without any hassle, provided I find a better deal elsewhere as it gets closer to November.

I'm going with Amazon. Since I live in CA, newegg charges tax for me. Thanks for the notice though. Now I remember to pre-order before it comes out.

Now that I think about it, shipping may be faster from newegg...

I've always been able to cancel pre-orders a day before the actual release date (orange box) via amazon.com, but I've never tried ON the release date. Many offline personal horror stories about gamespot preorders make me stick with other retailers. Amazon.com's policy on pre-orders is that if there is drop in price before release date, you will pay for the lower price. I'm not sure about the increase in price, though. Amazon's shipping is usually pretty reliable and immediate, but some people online have been reporting slowdowns.

Steam is probably going to do a 10% discount + beta, so I might go with that. I'm not as concerned with owning the physical copy as everything has been shifted to Steam. I'll make my own backup after downloading and write onto a DVD-R or external HDD.

edit: I'm a bit surprised that the game is probably going to MSRP for $40 (PC) and $60 (X360). But it is valve, after all, catering to their strongest fan base and development platform. So there is a minuscule chance that this might be a price mistake, so doing a pre-order isn't going to take your money away forever unless you allow it to during release day.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ThaiGrocer']Amazon has it for $36.99 with free super-saver shipping and pre-order price guarantee. Hopefully it means what I think it means, where the price after the moment of pre-order purchase never goes UP while any negative change in price is credited.[/QUOTE]

It means that if the price drops anytime between now and release, they'll automatically give you the lowest one. It's actually nice.

I preordered a game when it was their gold box special (for 4% off MSRP) but it was later available at lower price. Amazon gave the lower price plus the 4% gold box discount, which was cool.

I'm not how you could go wrong by pre-ordering now on Amazon. That is a really nice price for what appears to be a top notch game in the making.

I just went with amazon due to prime. Hopefully steam will have it for a price close to the $37, I'd much rather have a digital copy.

good find! but i'll probably pre-order mine with steam. there's always some kind of bonus whether it be a reduced price or access to a beta or something.

I almost passed over this topic, I had even posted in it before. But $37 for L4D is fantastic. We get tax in WA, but it's still cheaper than the gamestop preorder price.

Now I'm stuck with GS credit...

It's a Valve zombie shooter. I think they can ask a hefty initial price and still have massive sales. It's VALVE, and it's got ZOMBIES.

Don't blame a Playa Company for Playin. I'm sure a month after release it'll be out for like $20.

[quote name='BrandonMills']It's a Valve zombie shooter. I think they can ask a hefty initial price and still have massive sales. It's VALVE, and it's got ZOMBIES.

Don't blame a Playa Company for Playin. I'm sure a month after release it'll be out for like $20.[/quote]
I wouldn't be so sure on the $20, as Valve games seem to stay in the higher price range a bit due to popularity for at least a little while. One month is a bit short. :(

[quote name='Bubbakja']I just went with amazon due to prime. Hopefully steam will have it for a price close to the $37, I'd much rather have a digital copy.[/quote]

But buying the box is just like buying the digital copy. Just the initial install is shorter. Once you enter the cd code if you ever need to reinstall you just reinstall it off of steam. The only bad thing about the physical copy is the wasted packaging.

any idea how long this deal will last? im actually looking really forward to this game, but i plan on buying rock band 2 and little big planet next month so im not sure if i want to spend that much money.

one more thing, does amazon ship it earlier so you get it on release day, or do they start shipping it out once its released?

What's the avg rig needed to run this at close to high details?

I'm running a

945-DS3 Rev 1.3 Gigabyte board
an e4300 (not OC'd to conserve power, but I crank it up to about 2.5-2.6 ghz when I know I'll be playing games for a while)
8800 OC GT
2gb RAM

Think those will be enough?

Gonna hold off on this. Steam should definitely have a HALLOWEEN beta for L4D. That idea is just too tempting.

[quote name='nikkai']What's the avg rig needed to run this at close to high details?

I'm running a

945-DS3 Rev 1.3 Gigabyte board
an e4300 (not OC'd to conserve power, but I crank it up to about 2.5-2.6 ghz when I know I'll be playing games for a while)
8800 OC GT
2gb RAM

Think those will be enough?[/quote]

It's Source - that will run on high at any reasonable resolution.

So I haven't preordered anything from either Amazon or Newegg before. I assume they will not charge your card/account until the day before or day of the game's release?

In other words, if I submit an order this evening, my card won't be charged immediately?

[quote name='mattyice11']It's Source - that will run on high at any reasonable resolution.[/QUOTE]

Could you clarify that statement?

[quote name='nikkai']Could you clarify that statement?[/QUOTE]

This is the same engine that Team Fortress 2 and Half-Life 2: Episode 2 run on. They all look great, but the engine isn't exactly bleeding-edge tech. An 8800GT will chew those games up and spit them out. You have nothing to worry about.

Whatever performance you get out of any of the Orange Box games, you can expect from L4D.

[quote name='nikkai']Could you clarify that statement?[/quote]
Valve does hardware surveys via steam and try to accommodate the most common hardware specs while trying to add some new features to the source engine. So I was able to run all of the game on Orange Box with full settings (other than AA) on my single core CPU. In left 4 dead, there are also some new visual features that utilize multi-core CPUs, but those are optional.

Valve probably prefers multi-core because of all the zombies attacking you at one time, but wait for the official min. and recommended specs to be released before making up your mind.

[quote name='Xfactor19990']so if amazon drops again i order and ya lets say its $25 on steam can i simply cancel ordrer and get full refund?[/quote]

Yes. You can cancel your pre-order before release date. I'm not sure about on release date. I was able to cancel Orange Box a day before release on Amazon. There have been reports of people canceling Spore preorders in the comments at Amazon.com.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='greeble']But buying the box is just like buying the digital copy. Just the initial install is shorter. Once you enter the cd code if you ever need to reinstall you just reinstall it off of steam. The only bad thing about the physical copy is the wasted packaging.[/QUOTE]

That is exactly my point. I have 0 use for the packaging and want to encourage digital distribution. I loved getting Half Life 2 over Steam. I want to support Steam and contribute to it's success. I would love to never have to buy another pc game in store, and always be able to pre-load and be ready to go. I'm not gonna pay an extra $15 for that though, so unless Steam is 39.99 or less I'll just stick with Amazon.

[quote name='Z(+)DIAC']So I haven't preordered anything from either Amazon or Newegg before. I assume they will not charge your card/account until the day before or day of the game's release?

In other words, if I submit an order this evening, my card won't be charged immediately?[/quote]
Both Newegg and Amazon don't charge you until it ships.

dang, why cant console version be priced like this, its the same F-ing game.

does the plastic case really warrant the extra 20 dollars?

[quote name='lovemetal626']dang, why cant console version be priced like this, its the same F-ing game.

does the plastic case really warrant the extra 20 dollars?[/quote]

Licenses to use Xbox Hardware/live, dedicated servers for the 360 games...

[quote name='ddrpower']Licenses to use Xbox Hardware/live, dedicated servers for the 360 games...[/quote]
most 360 games dont have dedicated servers

The price, as of this date and time, has gone back down to $37 at amazon. WTF, amazon?! Let's see what Steam has to offer in October. Should be interesting.

bread's done
Back