Shadow Hearts: Covenant $19.99 Used @ Gamestop.com

[quote name='jacknicklson']My first copy of Covenant was disc only so I returned it.

Just ordered two more and one of the original in hopes of a complete copy.[/quote]

How do shipping fees work on a return to Gamestop? If you go for a complete copy, are you out the shipping costs for having them send you a second copy? I am definitely interested in snagging a complete copy of Covenant here. I've never ordered a used copy of a game off of Gamestop before.

If you're buying over $25 worth of stuff, shipping is free with SAVER anyway. You might as well pick up both Shadow Hearts and Shadow Hearts: Covenant. If either of them are incomplete, return them and place another order. Or you can do like the OP and order two Covenants and return whichever isn't complete.

Anyone who likes RPGs needs to play these games. Great deal IMO, but I remember when they were giving out free copies of SH1 with the preorder of 2. :lol:

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Anyone who likes RPGs needs to play these games. Great deal IMO, but I remember when they were giving out free copies of SH1 with the preorder of 2. :lol:[/quote]

I was so mad for missing that offer. I absolutely adore Shadow Hearts: Covenant. It really is one of my favorite RPGs of all time. I own Shadow Hearts, but it's in my backlog for now.

[quote name='GuardianE']I was so mad for missing that offer. I absolutely adore Shadow Hearts: Covenant. It really is one of my favorite RPGs of all time. I own Shadow Hearts, but it's in my backlog for now.[/quote]Same here on both counts.

I got Covenant through Goozex, played it for about an hour, loved it, and figured I better go back and play SH1 first. I would have started with SH1 if it wasn't for IGN's crappy review (Worst review ever? I think so.).

Anyways, 2 weeks ago I got SH1 from GS for $25 minus that 20% off coupon they had at the time. Great deal plus the game was mint and complete.

[quote name='kellehair']I got Covenant through Goozex, played it for about an hour, loved it, and figured I better go back and play SH1 first. I would have started with SH1 if it wasn't for IGN's crappy review (Worst review ever? I think so.).[/quote]

Yeah I was a long time IGN Insider before I fully embraced CAG (from Dec. 99-Feb. 08) and that review is easily regarded as the worst review in their history. That guy was fired not too long after that.

The other review most people have a problem with is the guy (who still works there) who gave Jade Empire a 9.9; not that it's a bad game, but probably not worth that score.

[quote name='Optical']How is SH1? I have 2, but it is still in my backlog.[/quote]

Shadow Hearts was a very early PS2 game, so it hasn't really aged well graphically. The game looks pretty ugly except for the FMVs. But if you plan to play Covenant, you definitely should play Shadow Hearts first. Covenant does an excellent job of summarizing the events of Shadow Hearts, but it basically spoils the entire plot within the first couple hours. I think playing Covenant first really hampered my enjoyment of the first game. Covenant is easily the my favorite and the most enjoyable RPG I have ever played.

[quote name='Error404']Shadow Hearts was a very early PS2 game, so it hasn't really aged well graphically. The game looks pretty ugly except for the FMVs. But if you plan to play Covenant, you definitely should play Shadow Hearts first. Covenant does an excellent job of summarizing the events of Shadow Hearts, but it basically spoils the entire plot within the first couple hours. I think playing Covenant first really hampered my enjoyment of the first game. Covenant is easily the my favorite and the most enjoyable RPG I have ever played.[/quote]i was kind of underwhelmed by the first one, so i never played the second... maybe i'll bust it out since it's getting such rave reviews here. i've been itching for a good rpg to play

Do yourself a favor and get both, considering SH1 is a bit difficult to find. Covenant is still one of my favorite PS2 games, but to get the most out of it, playing SH1 really helps. They're both great games, but Covenant is just damn amazing.

[quote name='erectiontown']i was kind of underwhelmed by the first one, so i never played the second... maybe i'll bust it out since it's getting such rave reviews here. i've been itching for a good rpg to play[/quote]

Trust me. Covenant is a vast improvement from Shadow Hearts. In fact, my only complaints with Covenant are that the game is far too easy, and it's not nearly as macabre as Shadow Hearts.

[quote name='Error404']Trust me. Covenant is a vast improvement from Shadow Hearts. In fact, my only complaints with Covenant are that the game is far too easy, and it's not nearly as macabre as Shadow Hearts.[/quote]right on i'll check it out... i'm not even sure if i beat shadow hearts. i don't remember much about it. i'm sure if the 2nd one recaps it well i'll be alright.

I haven't gotten around to the second one but I enjoyed SH1 and played it on the PS3 and thought the graphics were fine.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Yeah I was a long time IGN Insider before I fully embraced CAG (from Dec. 99-Feb. 08) and that review is easily regarded as the worst review in their history. That guy was fired not too long after that.

The other review most people have a problem with is the guy (who still works there) who gave Jade Empire a 9.9; not that it's a bad game, but probably not worth that score.[/QUOTE]

Easy there, tiger, it's a video game review.

[quote name='KamiNoYadoru']Easy there, tiger, it's a video game review.[/quote]

While I agree it's just a video game review, people base a lot of their decisions of purchasing games on critical opinions.

Also, remember that developer money is sometimes linked to metacritic score and a bad outlier review can mean less for a hardworking developer.

[quote name='jeremywoods']are each of these stand alone games?[/quote]

I'm sure a ton of stuff was given away while playing Covenant that I may regret when playing Shadow Hearts, but frankly I don't care. Covenant was such an amazing experience of an RPG I can't recommend it highly enough. You don't need to know the backstory of the characters because it quickly gets you up to speed with endearing character interaction.

Each one is a standalone game, although some might recommend you play through Shadow Hearts before Covenant.

[quote name='GuardianE']Each one is a standalone game, although some might recommend you play through Shadow Hearts before Covenant.[/quote]

awesome. thanks.

caz i jus went on the site and shadow hearts is already sold out, lol

lol, I don't know if that should deter you too much. To this day, I haven't played Shadow Hearts, even though I own it, but I still have very fond memories of Covenant, even after these couple years.

bread's done
Back