This video card..

Scorch

CAGiversary!
Feedback
72 (100%)
Is this the best you can get? I'm ignorant regarding video cards..

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=14-102-297&DEPA=0

$230 seems reasonable, I doubt my motherboard could support it so i'd need another one of those, but my Stepdad talked about helping me upgrade my computer.. I'm at 1.4ghz or so now and I wanted to upgrade to 3.. but i'm content with the speed now, and if that video card is the best out there, I might bite on that.. anyways.. anyone have that one and care to comment? I thought the Radeon 9800 Pro was the best you could get, or something.

you can get a 6600 for cheaper than that , and it will include some free games

and the x800 platinum is now the top card on the market. The 6600 is the mid level card for nVidia's 6000 series (newest line of cards)

Well, it's not my money, so I'm not worried about cheapness.. what free games does it come with? I mean, if 9800 is the best out there, I could get it and be set for a few years.. plus it'd make HL2 look sexier.

[quote name='Quackzilla']The best you can get is the ATI Radeon X850 XT PE

Only $549

=) [/quote]

:shock:

EDIT: I wonder why the quote tags won't close.

Nowhere near the best videocard available. The best is (debatably) the Nvidia GeForce 6800 Ultra, and will set you back over $500. That card is decent, but for the money I suggest a Nvidia Geforce 6600 GT. It doesnt have the PVR functionality of that AIW card, but it has better game performance. Here's a helpful link:
VidCardRatings

The best cards, performance-wise, are the 6800 ultra cards and the radeon x800 xt cards. The new format replacing the agp format for videocards is PCI-E, which you'll definitely need a current motherboard for.

That card is a nice value though because a 9800 pro can run anything and the AIW cards are the best TV tuner cards. It looks like it comes with morrowwind which is a solid game but you really shouldn't be buying your card solely because of the pack-in games.

The 9800 is about a year old.

If price is no concern get the ATI Radeon X850 XT PE

I wish I could afford it. =[

Btw, I have a 9700 PRO (2.66GHz P4 and 1GB RAM) and I can run HL2 max setting (full reflections, no AA/AF) and average 40 fps.

I have no idea what the stuttering bug is, because my computer is "technically" obsolete and it runs HL2 fine.

[quote name='Scorch']Well, it's not my money, so I'm not worried about cheapness.. what free games does it come with? I mean, if 9800 is the best out there, I could get it and be set for a few years.. plus it'd make HL2 look sexier.

Only $549

=) [/quote]

EDIT: I wonder why the quote tags won't close.[/quote]

spyhunterl19 got that specific card (6600) and it comes with Far cry, DOOM 3 , and Splinter cell : Pandora Tomorrow (think these are the games it comes with)

You were linked to the 9800 All in Wonder. If you only want the card for gaming, you can get a 9800 pro for probably like 50 bucks less.

The AIW (correct me if I'm wrong) allows you to watch and record TV through the analogue thingy. Like TiVo. Not everyone has a use for this, although I'd say it's worth it.

One more thing, I bought a 9600 xt and it came with a free Half-Life 2 voucher. I think most current Radeons do.

[quote name='Scorch']Yep.. already got those. Oh well.. I guess I'll stick with my current card, the GeForce FX 5200.[/quote]

yea, but you could trade them and get something else, or sell them to cover some of the costs of new games

[quote name='int80h']Isn't the ATI FireGL series better than the ATI Radeon series?[/quote]

Not for gaming. The FireGL cards really aren't ment for consumer level applications.

Umm, 6600 GT is AGP 8X actually. It does come in PCIe as well, but they pretty recently released it in AGP X8 format, so I'd seriously suggest you upgrade to that. Oh and the best card debatebly isn't the Nvidia 6800 Ultra... it IS the X850 XT PE hands down. That is until Nvidia releases their counterpart to this card.

WEll being a person that loves his ATI, I hate to say this but possibly the best card for the money right now is the GEforce 6800 GT. It can be overclocked to be faster than the Ultra model and its 100 buck cheaper. The x800 series Radeons don't support pixel shader 3.0 and a few other options as well, plus the Geforce's outperform them.

[quote name='stormshadow']WEll being a person that loves his ATI, I hate to say this but possibly the best card for the money right now is the GEforce 6800 GT. It can be overclocked to be faster than the Ultra model and its 100 buck cheaper. The x800 series Radeons don't support pixel shader 3.0 and a few other options as well, plus the Geforce's outperform them.[/quote]

Gamespot ran tests and said the platinum x800 is much better than the 600GT. Practically wiped the floor with it

I agree with stormshadow. I've got the 6800 gt, and the only two cards that are better than it on the market are the x800 xt and the ultra version of 6800 and they are both at least 100 bucks more expensive. You can reach similar performance levels by overclocking the gt, i am pretty sure it is just a lower clocked version of the ultra.

The 9800 Pro is definately not the best card on the market, but I have had it for a bit now and it is an excellent card.

Another boon to the Geforce series is the SLI capability. Need more performance? Buy another card and get twice the performance!

[quote name='Scorch']Well, it's not my money, so I'm not worried about cheapness.. what free games does it come with? I mean, if 9800 is the best out there, I could get it and be set for a few years.. plus it'd make HL2 look sexier.

Only $549

=) [/quote]

EDIT: I wonder why the quote tags won't close.[/quote]

The quotes don't close because you need a Quotation mark on either end of his screen name. I just figured that out a few weeks ago too :)

I have a 6800 which I unlocked to a GT. Great card, and was under 200 after rebates. I can't recommend the 9800 though...go for the 6600 like a lot of other people have said.

[quote name='stormshadow']WEll being a person that loves his ATI, I hate to say this but possibly the best card for the money right now is the GEforce 6800 GT. It can be overclocked to be faster than the Ultra model and its 100 buck cheaper. The x800 series Radeons don't support pixel shader 3.0 and a few other options as well, plus the Geforce's outperform them.[/quote]

That kind of fanboy annoys me.

"Oh, I am a fonboy of this company, but their competitors product is amazing, buy it!"

You are like Zell Miller "I am a democrat, but republicans totally own democrats".

Please, it is not only destroying your integrity, it also annoys the piss out of people who know which way is up.

[/quote]
I had no idea ATI has a new card out. What makes it better then the X800 XT?

[quote name='MorPhiend']http://www.wallapc.com/.sc/ms/dd/1091553224642968/9/nc/ee/255/SAPPHITE%2520ATI%2520X800%2520XT%2520PLATINUM%2520EDITION%2520256MB%2520DDR3%2520AGP%2520RETAIL%2520

SAPPHITE ATI X800 XT PLATINUM EDITION 256MB 8xAGP

$528 w/ free shipping[/quote]

I got a lot better things i can spend $530 on.... like a hooker! :D

[quote name='MorPhiend']http://www.wallapc.com/.sc/ms/dd/1091553224642968/9/nc/ee/255/SAPPHITE%2520ATI%2520X800%2520XT%2520PLATINUM%2520EDITION%2520256MB%2520DDR3%2520AGP%2520RETAIL%2520

SAPPHITE ATI X800 XT PLATINUM EDITION 256MB 8xAGP

$528 w/ free shipping[/quote]

Sapphite??!!
.. uhhhh I'm sure they meant Sapphire..

Well thanks quack thats the first time I have been called a fanboy about anything! Maybe I used the wrong choice of wording in that post I made. I should've said that I usually go for the best card out there for the money and until recently that has been ATI. I just stated it like that because I have had no problems with ATI cards and they usually are good products.

Just another hint, If you decide to go with another Nvidia card, I would highly reccomend buying from the brand BFG over PNY or any other company. BFG has a lifetime warrantly, awesome customer service (I've had to use it) and all the 6000 series cards come overclocked right out of the box. They arent any cheaper, and you probably wont see any rebates on them, but its worth it. I run a 6800GT OC and I absolutely love it.

Ok, that sounds like an ad. sorry. maybe if i post this on a few message boards, they'll send me a free card.

[quote name='jalu6']Just another hint, If you decide to go with another Nvidia card, I would highly reccomend buying from the brand BFG over PNY or any other company. BFG has a lifetime warrantly, awesome customer service (I've had to use it) and all the 6000 series cards come overclocked right out of the box. They arent any cheaper, and you probably wont see any rebates on them, but its worth it. I run a 6800GT OC and I absolutely love it.

Ok, that sounds like an ad. sorry. maybe if i post this on a few message boards, they'll send me a free card.[/quote]

That's the exact same card I have. (6800GT OC). It works well for me.

[quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='stormshadow']WEll being a person that loves his ATI, I hate to say this but possibly the best card for the money right now is the GEforce 6800 GT. It can be overclocked to be faster than the Ultra model and its 100 buck cheaper. The x800 series Radeons don't support pixel shader 3.0 and a few other options as well, plus the Geforce's outperform them.[/quote]

Gamespot ran tests and said the platinum x800 is much better than the 600GT. Practically wiped the floor with it[/quote]

I belive it was pcgamer ran tests and there were categories that the 6600 bested the x800. it had a lot to do with the card running an opengl or directx game.

as of right now id buy an nvidia. but because i have pci-e. nvidia pci-e cards currently offer a bit more bang for buck.
and i havent found any deals better than newegg.com, and neweggs shipping is ridiculously fast i routinely have gotten orders at my door within 48 hours of ordering.

i picked up the cheapass xtasy a few weeks ago from compusa 9200 SE 128MB AGP. $30 after MIR

what's a good card (friend wants a good card) for HL2 he's got about $150 to spend

I say jump on this deal. The 9800Pro is considered a great middle-end card, and the AIW features make it a real bargain. It's not the best card in the world, but it's probably the best affordable card.

Just remember that you will need an additional power connection to this card.

Jeremy

bread's done
Back