inFAMOUS - Now Available - First Shipments include Uncharted 2 MP Beta

Still looks like Crackdown with lightning instead of guns. Must open world superhero games have leaps from great heights and impact shockwaves on landing?

[quote name='trq']Still looks like Crackdown with lightning instead of guns. Must open world superhero games have leaps from great heights and impact shockwaves on landing?[/quote]

very true

But we don't have Crackdown on PS3, so I'll take this. Looks badass. Hopefully we can see a gameplay demo tomorrow.

[quote name='trq']Still looks like Crackdown with lightning instead of guns. Must open world superhero games have leaps from great heights and impact shockwaves on landing?[/quote]

I'll take lightning over guns any day.

[quote name='orko60']But we don't have Crackdown on PS3, so I'll take this. Looks badass. Hopefully we can see a gameplay demo tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

If it plays as well as Crackdown did, then it is a very good thing indeed.

[quote name='orko60']But we don't have Crackdown on PS3, so I'll take this.[/QUOTE]

Good point. Fair enough.

[quote name='happy']I'll take lightning over guns any day.[/QUOTE]

I'd take a game that did a bit more to differentiate itself from one I've already played over one that doesn't, but whatever.

Why is it that this game, makes me think so much of Hancock? Looks like they're wearing the same uniform almost.

48371.jpg

There's something familiar in this screenshot I can't quite put my finger on. :whistle2:k ;)

trq, how does inFamous play, since you've obviously played it?

[quote name='trq']Good point. Fair enough.

I'd take a game that did a bit more to differentiate itself from one I've already played over one that doesn't, but whatever.[/quote]

I think it's going to be different in the sense that the choices you make have a huge impact on the game, and from what I hear, there are quite a few that you get to choose. Plus, Crackdown was more gun and melee based, this is more super hero based, I'd say it's more like prototype than crackdown.

Plus, I loved crackdown, and as someone said, we don't have it, so more of it is not a bad thing IMO.

I'd say it's too early to tell whether or not it's any different.

Everything else looks great but good god, the animation at the beginning when he is climbing the tower is horrendous. Hopefully its just a video issues as the rest of it looks great. Loved Crackdown so even if this is a bit similar I would be fine with it.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']
48371.jpg

There's something familiar in this screenshot I can't quite put my finger on. :whistle2:k ;)

trq, how does inFamous play, since you've obviously played it?[/QUOTE]

I stared at that shot longer than I care to admit trying to figure out what you're talking about.

Tell me, I have to know now :lol:

I actually think this looks pretty good. It will be interesting with prototype and this coming out around the same time. Really digged the cool comic cutscene, maybe those will be a common thing throughout the game?

[quote name='whoknows']I stared at that shot longer than I care to admit trying to figure out what you're talking about.

Tell me, I have to know now :lol:[/quote]
Transistor Town...Circuit City ;)

I'm looking forward to the game. I was a huge fan of the Sly Cooper games so I have faith that Sucker Punch will crank out another good one. It looks like Sony is really getting behind the game too, which is a good thing. They need to push the hell out of their exclusives:

inFamous is going to be the "next big thing," if Sony has their way. The upcoming 2009 PS3 exclusive from Sucker Punch is going to be getting a massive marketing treatment from SCEA, with a "blockbuster multimillion dollar marketing campaign" in the works. According to a SCEA press release, inFamous will be treated to "aggressive television, print, online and viral advertising campaigns, full promotional support, dedicated point-of-purchase displays and merchandising support." For an untested, new IP, Sony is daring to support the title as a true flagship title.

Sony has become much more aggressive with marketing as of late, especially with the upcoming Resistance 2, which is also getting the same treatment. It'll be interesting to see the extent of this "blockbuster" marketing campaign, and how it will be able to shape the public opinion of such an ambitious (and cool-looking) game.
http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/07/16/infamous-to-get-blockbuster-multimillion-dollar-support/

Well, we're seeing the same treatment for the Resistance 2. This ARG is just one step. As Insomniac get more polished with the graphics and finalize more levels, they can show some more amazing footage.

[quote name='Thomas96']Why is it that this game, makes me think so much of Hancock? Looks like they're wearing the same uniform almost.[/quote]

I just saw the extended play through on G4 and thought the same thing... but this game has probably been in the works... what... 3 years?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']trq, how does inFamous play, since you've obviously played it?[/QUOTE]

Mmm. My snark-sense is tingling ...

I thought I clammed up pretty gracefully after others made their points, but okay.

Based on what we've seen, I'll say it again: it looks a lot like Crackdown, and I'm not sure that lightning and some basic lightside/darkside choices are enough to make it worthwhile.

To put it another way: the dude has lightning powers. So ... why is he a free-running parkour guy again? Right. Because the "GTA with superheroes" thing has developed into a formula by now and we just NEED everyone climbing on scaffolding. I like Sucker Punch, but formula makes for mediocre games, so I'm hoping there's more to the game than what we've seen so far.

Still, there are some snippets of things I'm optimistic about -- that back handspring from the trailer hints at some interesting combat, for example -- and the last game I really didn't see the big deal of was ... well, it was Heavenly Sword, so bad example. But before that it was Gears of War, which I recall describing as "Just some 'roided up Unreal rejects acting like they're in Rainbow Six," and that one turned out okay.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I love the idea that despite his need to draw electricity from the environment that rolling brown-outs can happen to put you at a disadvantage for a while.[/QUOTE]

I didn't watch the vid yet, so they may have mentioned -- it's a clever idea, but I hope they're random, or in response to things in the game world (blew up too many transformers? uh-oh), and not scripted plot points, where they just strip your powers away for certain boss fights, for example.

It may be a mix of both, as there may be points in the story where that will happen, but I guess with the open-world aspect that it'll also happen randomly. It seems in the demo that it conveniently happens as a villain shows up, but it could be random, as well. I don't think you're completely screwed at that point, as you could still pull some electricity out of cars and other things not on the grid. Plus, it would also be a test of your powers for a guy that's still trying to get a grasp on them himself.

In response to your question about the free-running stuff, which is answered in the video, but Cole was an urban explorer before the disaster occurs, so his skills are useful post-disaster.

And there's a lot of room for rpg-like skill progression too. They've already stated he has an ability that allows him to avoid damage from big falls, you see it used at one point in the demonstration where he shoots a puff of electricity to soften his fall. I think it was mentioned he'll get an ability like a magnetic grip that allows him to hold on to pretty much anything.

All the parkour stuff was cool too, I forsee some really cool online races where people are challenged with going from point A to B.

Also, notice that silky smooth framerate and aiming for a game that's more than 6 months away? My biggest problem with GTA4 was that the framerate and sluggish camera/controls ruined certain parts of the game for me.

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3171602&p=37

We got to talk a bit with game director Nate Fox of Sucker Punch about the development of Infamous, and while we didn't straight out ask what's it like to go from a furry platformer to a real game, we did learn some interesting details, like what influence a real-world riot has over a superhero game and just where the heck did the idea for mind-reading electricity come from.

1UP: General question: What do you feel's required to make a superhero game work and succeed? As a follow-up, what do you guys think modern -- or future -- superhero games need to move the genre forward, and how will Infamous address those points?
Nate Fox: I believe the most important thing to making a good superhero game is marrying the hero's powers into the game world. Sometimes that's really tough. For instance, if my hero has razor-sharp claws, yet the game won't let me cut down a wooden fence, then it sort of breaks the suspension of disbelief.
Our hero, Cole, has powers that are designed from the ground up to work well in the context of a videogame. For instance, he can shoot lighting bolts out of his hands -- why? Because shooting in videogames works really freaking well. Same with being able to climb everywhere in the world and jump between buildings -- it's fun to do! This is our core strategy in crafting our superhero -- we're building the world around his powers and his powers around what's fun to do in the world.

1UP: Quick refresher: What's the basic structure of Infamous? Is it a series of missions set against an open-world backdrop, or do players go out into the world to find things to do? Does Cole have a safe house, like Sly did?
NF: Infamous is an open-world game filled with stuff to discover as you poke around Empire City. People are getting mugged and attacked all around you -- whether you decide to do anything about it or not. We call this "the crime ecosystem." However, story missions are tailored to deliver a cinematic superhero experience. And yeah, Cole has a bit of a safe house, but not like Sly, nope, there's no place safe for Cole in Empire City.

1UP: You've shown some Reapers (the main gang that Cole goes up against); some with traditional weapons and others with superpowers of their own. Tell us about what goes into the enemy design? How do you decide what superpowers the enemies have or deal with balancing enemies who just use guns against a player who can call down lightning from the sky?
NF: Creating enemies for Cole has been one of the real joys in making Infamous. Since it's a realistic game, we started by creating bad guys with a full suite of conventional weapons (guns, grenades, etc). Once that groundwork was done, we moved up to enemies with superpowers, which as you might imagine is fantastically fun to design. Enemy powers let us create some new experiences in the third-person shooter genre. For instance, the Fire Reaper we've demoed is designed to force dynamic rolls and pressures the player to seek higher ground in the heat of combat.

1UP: Are there any specific influences on the feel and design of Infamous? We'd like our readers to get a sense of which superhero stories share DNA with Infamous or where ideas like the postcognition ability came from.
NF: As you might imagine, we're all big superhero fans here at Sucker Punch. The film Batman Begins and the graphic novel series DMZ are two of [Infamous'] many influences that did it right. I also got a lot out of participating in the Seattle WTO riots. Spending time in a lawless place is interesting, particularly as a superhero with the power to do great good and evil.

As for postcognition, it was born out of our constant desire to create cool gameplay. One of the big problems in an open-world game is creating interesting setups for combat. But what if a superhero had the ability to track the psychic echo of a killer through a crowded urban environment? Well, that's a pretty cool superpower because it creates fun gameplay scenarios. Not all of Cole's powers are about blasting people's faces in, just most of them.

1UP: What's been the biggest development challenge in producing Infamous?
NF: The biggest challenge was getting Cole's climb ability to work just right. We'd promised ourselves that the whole city was going to be scalable. This is, as you might imagine, a hard promise to live up to, but now that it all works, it was clearly worth all the effort. Being able to smoothly skulk along the rooftops and then jump down onto the heads of a bunch of bad guys is great. You really feel like a superhero.

1UP: Describe the coolest event you've most recently seen -- a particular battle, a sequence in a mission, whatever -- you've seen in Infamous.
NF: As you might imagine, given that Infamous is an open-world game with a lot of systemic interactions, you'll see unexpected stuff all over the place. Just this afternoon while playing the game, I pissed off a bunch of people, and they banded together into a mob and tried to stone me to death. Ultimately it didn't end well for them, but I admired their courage. Did I mention you can play as a good or evil character?

Not a fan of the guy they're interviewing. I've seen him before and he always comes off as awkward. I get the impression that he seriously couldn't dodge a question if he life depended on it. Can't they find someone else?

I'm not really sure what to think about this game. I think that it may end up having very high production values and look amazing but will not be the most fun to play.

Vanilla, considering that you haven't played it, and it's not even near finished, and the only thing we've seen are small snippets of gameplay, how can you actually give any thoughts on the gameplay?

It's a good thing to be skeptical, but saying stuff like that when you, and no one else besides developers, have experience with the game is pretty silly.

It could end up being the next best open world game, or it could be trash. The key thing is, no one knows yet, and even people who play it now aren't seeing the final game.

[quote name='Vanigan']Vanilla, considering that you haven't played it, and it's not even near finished, and the only thing we've seen are small snippets of gameplay, how can you actually give any thoughts on the gameplay?

It's a good thing to be skeptical, but saying stuff like that when you, and no one else besides developers, have experience with the game is pretty silly.

It could end up being the next best open world game, or it could be trash. The key thing is, no one knows yet, and even people who play it now aren't seeing the final game.[/quote]
Ok, it doesn't LOOK fun to play. Happy now?
I think what we've seen counts as more than snippets.

[quote name='trq']

I'd take a game that did a bit more to differentiate itself from one I've already played over one that doesn't, but whatever.[/quote]Bitter much?

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/03/06/infamous-launching-worldwide-in-june-demo-on-the-way/

We know many of you have been wondering when urban hero Cole McGrath and his electrifying arsenal of superpowers is coming to a town near you. Well, we want to share with you today that inFamous will be launching worldwide this June, and here’s a first look at the front-of-box for the title:

Another question many of you have been asking is: will there be a demo? And, the answer is yes. We’ll have more details on when and how the demo will be available shortly. Stay tuned for a new trailer next week as well of loads of other inFamous goodies from the Sucker Punch crew this month…

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']That's probably the best trailer I've seen for a game in a while.[/quote]

I agree. I honestly haven't been very interested in this game so far, but that trailer changed my mind.

[quote name='sotc1988']That was very nice to see. I'm just waiting to hear how long it is and how replayable it is before I commit to buy.[/quote]

agreed. but that latest trailer looked pretty sweet.

bread's done
Back