Crash Commando - PSN - $9.99 - 8/25: New patch, map pack, and character packs on 8/27

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
3116438966_a311c7025e.jpg

Crash Commando is a fast-paced, side-scrolling humorous multiplayer action game with over-the-top, slap-stick action that features exaggerated gore and effects. Combining the thrill of frenzied multiplayer combat with the straightforward nature of a classic side-scrolling platform title, Crash Commando is the perfect combination of modern, sophisticated technology and traditional arcade gameplay.

The player controls a commando soldier and navigates through the maps on foot and with a high-powered jet pack. Each map consists of two gameplay layers the player can seamlessly move between via portals in the environment. Enemies will attack from the sides, as well as from above and below. With a host of both multiplayer and single player modes included, players can enjoy Crash Commando either on or offline.

Key Features:

• Weapons and Explosives Galore – Master an array of weapons, from machine guns, shotguns, rocket launchers, to grenades, C4, mines and more. Or you can jump into any of the controllable vehicles, such as jeeps and tanks, to deal even more damage
  • Fun and Frenzied Multiplayer Action – The intense yet hilarious action never slows with 12 players battling online
  • Single Player and Multiplayer Modes – Crash Commando features multiplayer modes like Death Match and team-based game modes as well as single player modes like Boot Camp and custom games versus AI-controlled bots
  • Player Profiles – A Duty Records Award system, along with Player Rankings, Trophy Support and online Leaderboards, will track player stats and accomplishments
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/43602.html

Gameplay Trailers

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/39228.html
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/39226.html
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/37358.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully they'll put a video out for this because I'm not quite sure I follow how it works, but it could have potential (PSN games seem to have consistently high quality).

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/10/25/extended-hands-on-crash-commando/

We got our hands on Crash Commando at E3 and were quite impressed. Since then we've had the opportunity to play a preview build to our heart's content and it's looking great. Crash Commando is a 2D multiplayer shooter with 3D graphics. It plays very similarly to Soldat but has a pinch of Warhawk in there for good measure.

Gameplay consists of jetpacking around a battlefield shooting at people. The funny thing about these battlefields is that they're two-sided, so each level has a background and a foreground. You can switch between these by stepping through various doors littered throughout each level. You can see people fighting in the background in real time, helping you locate more people to shoot at.

The game will ship with eight levels, ranging from a cave, a jungle fort and a dilapidated ruins. When we spoke to the producer of the game at E3, however, he was keen to tell us that the dev team is planning on plenty of post-launch downloadable content.

When you step into a level you're given a choice of primary weapons, secondary weapons and explosives. Primary weapons range from grenade and rocket launchers to sniper rifles to high tech lasers. There are also more powerful weapons that you can pick up for a limited time within the levels, such as the minigun or plasma rifle. Each time you die you're able to choose your gear again before you respawn.

Deaths are quick and bloody, with each character exploding in a cloud of blood and guts, even when killed with a non-explosive weapon. If you manage to survive a few kills without dying, however, you'll be able to select one of three power ups -- extra health, extra speed and bigger jetpack flames. Live long enough and you can collect all three, but die and you'll lose any that you've gathered up to that point.

Your jetpack is your main method of transport, allowing you to fly for a limited time. It can also be combined with a forward roll to send you rocketing across the ground. Performing the same action while in midair allows you to fly much faster, but a lot more erratically. Getting the extra flamey jetpack power up will kill anyone who you come into contact with while performing either of these moves.

crashcommando2251008425.jpg

You're not restricted to your jetpack, however. There are also vehicles to take advantage of. Not necessarily expected for a 2D game, but they work surprisingly well. In most levels will be a tank and/or a jeep. These run on tracks throughout the battlefield but can also jump and fly for a short time. They can also go through doors to the other side of the level. They make killing your opponents a lot easier thanks to their built-in weapons and the ability to run over pedestrians. The downside is you're a much bigger target.

There are also turrets littering the levels, allowing you to go into first-person mode and shoot at people fighting in the background. Meanwhile, you'll be vulnerable to people who stumble upon you in the foreground. Both the turrets and vehicles help break up the jump-and-shoot gameplay when necessary.

While Crash Commando is a multiplayer online game, there is a single player mode. It's called "Boot Camp" and it sees you fighting through various scenarios to get you prepared for the online experience. Complete a level with enough points and you'll get a Commando medal. The game also features extensive player profiles, listing your total kills, deats, KDR, total score, etc. There's a leveling and experience system, though it's not clear exactly what this adds to the gameplay.

crashcommando3251008425.jpg

Up to 12 players can battle it out online and the game supports voice chat. There's no split screen multiplayer, but there's the possibility of it being added later. There's also the option of changing the camera distance from your character. The aiming reticule, a red or blue line extending from your character when you press the right analogue stick in any direction, can be quite difficult to see from afar. Moving the camera further in makes this easier to see, but also allows your enemies to see you before you see them, so it's a toss up.

Our other qualm with the preview build is that it's difficult to know when you're reloading as there's only an audio clue to tell you. When you're surrounded by people shooting and exploding in clouds of blood, it can be difficult to hear and you'll be confused as to why you're pressing the R1 button but aren't firing. Some visual clue of sort would be a lot more clear.

We expect a lot of people to take to this game when it releases in December. There's no doubt that there'll be a loyal online following, hungry for more expansion content (a la Warhawk). The game's looking solid and is really fun to play. We just hope the developers decide to patch in a split screen mode, as Crash Commando would make an excellent party game.

Hehe this game looks like an upgraded version of a pc game I used to play at work...Soldat. It looks similar and hope it's just as fun. Except Soldat was really fun.

I can see myself playing this game often... It's quite a fun little online game once you get a hang of the controls. It's like a miniature Warhawk, but without the 'hawks. :D

[quote name='freakyzeeky']I can see myself playing this game often... It's quite a fun little online game once you get a hang of the controls. It's like a miniature Warhawk, but without the 'hawks. :D[/quote]

Hm... I'm playing Warhawk right now and I don't like the 'hawks (I get ****ing jacked when I'm flying them) so this might be better. Honestly though, I thought it looked exactly like Undertow on XBLA and I don't need to play that again. The community of this game will probably be very small aswell.

[quote name='Psykodelik']Hehe this game looks like an upgraded version of a pc game I used to play at work...Soldat. It looks similar and hope it's just as fun. Except Soldat was really fun.[/quote]
I was going to say the same thing. Soldat is free I believe. The gameplay and posture of the characters look strikingly similar to Soldat.

I like this game. Well worth the ten dollars. I die too much though. I get killed too easily. BLAH.

Hey freaky! Did you find which game I was in or did we get randomly paired! Either way, fun times. This game is sweet. Shotgun is my current weapon of choice.

[quote name='StrandedBrit']Hey freaky! Did you find which game I was in or did we get randomly paired! Either way, fun times. This game is sweet. Shotgun is my current weapon of choice.[/QUOTE]
I used the friends filter to find the game you were in... :D
Shotgun is pretty sweet, even though I tend to stick with the Rocket Launcher. ;)

[quote name='brighenne']I hate the cab so much.[/QUOTE]

I love carmeggeddoning with the Jeep. :lol:

The game is pretty good, but I am having a hell of a time getting into multiplayer matches. 9 out of 10 times it says communications error. Anyone else seeing this?

Anyone up for setting up a CAG night?

The game is freaking great to me. Reminds me of the arcade games I used to play when I was a kid.

[quote name='Brad Bishop']Anyone up for setting up a CAG night?

The game is freaking great to me. Reminds me of the arcade games I used to play when I was a kid.[/QUOTE]

I would love to see this game get a CAG night... :)

I played the game online and didn't have a single problem.

We may have a CAG night for this, but I can't coordinate it (since it requires people to be on your buddy list).

I just picked this up.. fun game.. Don't know why ppl compare it to Warhawk.. maybe because of Jetpacks? I dunno lol.. It kinda reminds of that Small Arms game on XBLA.
Anyways, I'm up for some multiplayer action!

[quote name='Sinistar']I just picked this up.. fun game.. Don't know why ppl compare it to Warhawk.. maybe because of Jetpacks? I dunno lol.. It kinda reminds of that Small Arms game on XBLA.
Anyways, I'm up for some multiplayer action![/QUOTE]

Cuz'... It has Rifles, handguns, knives, rocket launchers, sniper rifles, grenades, prox. mines, tanks, jeeps, jackpacks. And it's fun competive gameplay... Like Warhawk, but miniature. ;)

I'll add everyone who posted to this thread in my friends list and hopefully we can get something going. I updated my info to include my PSN name.

DOH! - I sent everyone in the thread an invite but didn't put any info in the message, just a 'Add me!' message. Anyway, hopefully you'll read this before you go to your PS3 and ask, "Who the hell is BSBishop?"

I just tried hosting a game and waited in a n empty lobby for like 10 minutes and no one joined lol.. Is it hard to get some games going?

I'm down for CAG night. I have commitment issues with my time, otherwise I have the room on my friends list to help with it.

I tried connecting to games last night and had trouble for the first time. The objective game type is harder than I thought.

To let Brad Bishop know, I'm thinking of trying Monday for CAG nights, because that day doesn't have much going on (and plus I need a game to play that night). That is when we use to play Calling All Cars together.

Anywhere from 8pm EST / 5pm PST to 9pm EST / 6pm PST. I'd prefer 8pm EST, but it depends upon how many out west are playing and what time they'll be around.

bread's done
Back