Rag Doll Kung Fu: Fists of Plastic - $9.99

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/Games/Rag_Doll_Kung_Fu_Fists_of_Plastic

Developed by Tarsier Studios, Rag Doll Kung Fu™: Fists of Plastic is a PS3 exclusive party-fighting game based on the original 2005 title, Rag Doll Kung Fu, created by Mark Healy (co-founder of Media Molecule). A fast-paced combat game with an imaginative look and feel, Ragdoll Kung Fu: Fists of Plastic focuses on fun with exaggerated ragdoll physics action and charming HD visuals. Featuring accessible and intuitive controls, novice players can orchestrate impressive attacks with ninja-like precision, while offering hardcore players an intense combat system, use-of-weapons and strategy. Success depends on mastering basic Kung Fu moves while sharpening their acrobatic skills to swing off platforms and somersault through the air. This action builds up Chi Power, which can be conjured to perform spectacular SIXAXIS™ wireless controller-triggered special attack moves and combat sequences. Players can even taunt their opponents with the Free Pose system, ensuring the battle is infused with lighthearted fun.

Perfect for any social occasion, Rag Doll Kung Fu: Fists of Plastic offers frantic multiplayer action for up to four players locally.

Key Features

• Kung Fu Fun – Control hilarious puppet fighters to duke it out against the computer or your friends.
  • Deep Combat – Accessible controls with a deep combat system, including Chi Power charge attacks.
  • Character Customization – Create and customize your own crazy Kung Fu fighter.
  • Multiplayer Mayhem – Solo play, plus offline multiplayer modes for up to 4 players
  • Online Rankings and Trophy Support – Supports online leaderboards as well as Trophies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw the trailer right now. I definitely need to get it. :p

I love how most of the PSN games have a certain quirkiness and charm that XBLA games lack.

Haven't heard a thing about this game until I saw a blip of a preview on IGN:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/943/943839p1.html

Sony made the PlayStation 3 a real presence at its CES booth, including demos of upcoming PSN downloadable games, such as Rag Doll Kung Fu: Fists of Plastic. The fast-paced action game occupies that nebulous area between fighter and action game, much like Nintendo's blockbuster Super Smash Bros. franchise. While the goal is certainly to administer beatdowns, the game is so un-serious its difficult to consider it a brawler. It's more of a slap fight -- a very silly slap fight starring plastic marionettes that would look at home in classic episodes of "Thunderbirds."

My demo of Rag Doll Kung Fu consisted of three of the four games modes. And admittedly, the game does play a bit like Super Smash Bros., especially the main fighting game where you jump around multi-tiered levels, crack open boxes to liberate weapons or power-ups, and smash rivals until they drop to the floor. After choosing from a selection of pre-made fighters (although you can apparently create your own from a pile of spare plastic parts), you enter the arena you waste little time before getting down to business. The game supports up to four players and you can substitute humans with AI-controller bruisers.

The reason I allude to Rag Doll Kung Fu as something of a puppeteer game is the way it controls. You use face and shoulder buttons for the majority of actions, like jumping punching, and grabbing objects, but the game also employs a fair bit of motion control. For example, when you flip the Dual Shock over, your fighter starts to meditate and regain lost health. Swiping your controller while punching or kicking increases its potency as long as you have banked chi power from dishing out previous damage. But it's in the King of the Hill mode where you really get your Stromboli on.

King of the Hill plays exactly like it sounds. There is a special plateau on the stage that you must dominate if you want to win the game. The longer you remain on the plateau, the more points you earn. However, if you really want to boost your score, hold down the L2 and R2 buttons and manipulate the analog sticks. Your fighter's arms swing and sway around like a doll. While doing this, you are vulnerable to attacks -- but it's necessary to win. Just kick, punch, and scrap your way up there, goof with your arms for a few seconds, and then get ready to defend your territory because surely somebody with a pair of nunchuks is on the way up.

kungfu-int_1231562175.jpg

Intriguing art direction supports the game's whimsical concept.

The puppet motif is everywhere in the game. While playing the third game mode today, Capture the Fish, the exaggerated movements of the fighters are very apparent. In this mode, fighter battle over a single rubber fish. To score points, you must drop the fish into a basket somewhere on the stage. You can pitch it into the basket (but it can be intercepted) or jump over the basket and drop it. While rushing from fish to basket, the fighters bobble along like Team America puppets. You remember the cocked legs that shuffle along? The difference here is that you don't see the strings.

What struck me most about Rag Doll Kung Fu, though, wasn't necessarily the gameplay, but the goofy aesthetics. Something about this generation of hardware has emboldened developers to really try new visual techniques and experiment with art direction. We saw this with LittleBigPlanet, of course, which was created by Media Molecule... which in turn was behind the original Rag Doll Kung Fu. The plastic dolls in Rag Doll Kung Fu: Fists of Plastic really do look like cheapie flea market action figures from 1975 -- bits of plastic connected by inexpensive string. Gameplay is always supposed to be king, but delivering an engaging atmosphere matters, too. Without a fresh look, Rag Doll Kung Fu would lack the needed charm to pull off its concept.

[quote name='GodlyOne']Having no online gameplay kinda sucks but looks fun enough for a purchase.[/quote]

what?

• Multiplayer Mayhem – Solo play, plus online and offline multiplayer modes for 2-4 players
  • Online Rankings and Trophy Support – Supports online leaderboards as well as Trophies

The reviews that I've read say that it's fun but the lack of online gameplay keep it from being something better. Some reviews say that it uses the motion controls well but others hate the motion controls.
I'd say just wait a week or two when they release the demo and try it out before you throw your 10 dollars at it.

My share group picked up this title and it is a bit fun to play, but I am let down that it looks like it will never have online multi-play.. plus the motion controls are somewhat intuitive but still awkward when the fighting gets intense..

I definitely see the plus in the whole "motion control" aspect of the six-axis controller but I hate it when its 'forced on you' game makers should have an on/off option just like vibration. Not only for personal taste's but, some people have difficulty with movements needed to achieve those functions. I say this as most of my career has been working with people who have Disabilities, up until now video gaming was one place people young/old (age didn't matter) with limited physical abilities could enjoy all types of games due to only needing good hand/eye control for the most part.. however this is not the case anymore it's all begun to change. Some may say it's starting to almost be discriminating against those who can't move more than there hands..

[quote name='GodlyOne']What?

Originally Posted by Josh Miller
Initially we intended on doing online multiplayer, but as the development progressed, the developer came to realization that technically it could not be done. The complexities of the physics engine made it too hard sync up players. Because of this we stuck with local multiplayer.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009...to-psn-april-9/comment-page-1/#comment-188474[/quote]

Didn't the original PC version have online Multiplayer?

In any case, this game brings back some awful memories...

[quote name='Romis']My share group picked up this title and it is a bit fun to play, but I am let down that it looks like it will never have online multi-play.. plus the motion controls are somewhat intuitive but still awkward when the fighting gets intense..

I definitely see the plus in the whole "motion control" aspect of the six-axis controller but I hate it when its 'forced on you' game makers should have an on/off option just like vibration. Not only for personal taste's but, some people have difficulty with movements needed to achieve those functions. I say this as most of my career has been working with people who have Disabilities, up until now video gaming was one place people young/old (age didn't matter) with limited physical abilities could enjoy all types of games due to only needing good hand/eye control for the most part.. however this is not the case anymore it's all begun to change. Some may say it's starting to almost be discriminating against those who can't move more than there hands..[/QUOTE]

I was in rehab (like hospital rehab) for about 6 months and yeah, there were people who had to play games with their mouth and feet, and I too had to do that for a little bit. Luckily the PS2 was the only system out at the time, but I can't imagine how those kids feel with the Wii :(.

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']I was in rehab (like hospital rehab) for about 6 months and yeah, there were people who had to play games with their mouth and feet, and I too had to do that for a little bit. Luckily the PS2 was the only system out at the time, but I can't imagine how those kids feel with the Wii :(.[/QUOTE]

I know exactly what your talking about, I actually worked for a while at a rehab center, the plus for wii is that it uses all the gamecube games. A good way for using the wii as a excerise, mobility tool, but on the opposite spectrum a entertainment source for those who need it without movement by playing GC games with a traditional controller..

Thanks for the insight! I was really pumped for this past week of games but Flock and Rang Doll seem to be a bit of a let down. Enjoyed the Flock demo, but $14.99 is an odd price.
Can't wait for the DLC for Valk Chron.

Flock is not worth $15 at all. Probably not even worth 10. However I am anxious to hear impressions for this. My GS group decided to skip this one, and I wanna know if its worth my 10. I dont mind the no-online so thats not a problem.

I picked up Rag Doll Kung Fu today and have had fun with it. My son and his buddy had a great time playing multiplayer. I just wish more PS3 games had local multiplayer - kids like playing games with their friends. Well worth the $10 I spent.

I bought it, this marked my first PSN purchase. On one hand I'm a sucker for games that embrace physics, but on the other hand I've owned the original ragdoll kung fu before so I was a bit worried that this game was going to be just like that one(the first game was a fun idea that really didn't rise above being a gimmick). I'm certainly not dissapointed with this game. It is quite literally Smash Bros meets Little Big Planet. If you played LBP you'll feel right at home with the jumping/grabbing mechanics, and if you've played smash you'll already know all of the play tactics. There's a big emphasis on air juggling/combos and throwing objects which were two of my favorite tactics with Smash so I felt right at home here. It's fun to have someone beat on a guy and throw him in the air towards you, to which you jump up and kick him to the other end of the room, like an impromptu tag-team combo. I don't see what the bitterness is with the motion controls, all they require is a flick of the wrist, and they don't seem tacked on either, it feels right having to shake your controller to charge up a lightning ball attack. If you ask me it's probably one of the better uses of motion control on the PS3. My biggest gripe is that the game is sort of bare... the game sorely needs more weapons and pickups, more unique levels(only one level isn't closed off by walls), and more game options... the game is seriously lacking some necessary tweakable small-but-important options, for one thing you can't set set the timer to infinite...why?

I enjoyed playing it for about an hour before i got bored because I was alone. It will definately come back out next time i have friends over.

Meh. Motion controls were nice but awkward. I would have liked the option to disable those. I can imagine people throwing their controller at the TV already, accidentally.

[quote name='Oxygen']The game is free until May 21. I am downloading now to see how it is.[/QUOTE]

Oh nice. Thanks for the heads up! :applause:

I hope Sony gets my PS3 back to me before this free period ends. I was curious about this game, but I'm not willing to spend $10 on what might be a game I'll hate.

wow...well worth the time it took to download...not so sure it wouldve been my cup of tea had i paid for it though

still, free is free

Not bad for a free game.

edit:
Like eastshore4 said, this is Little Big Smash Brothers. I kept pressing the wrong buttons going "whoops wrong game/controller."

Wow - what the heck. Thanks for the heads up... That is awesome.

*game wasnt that bad until I tried the acrobat challenge, so friggen frustrating. Doesn't go where you want it...

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Wow - what the heck. Thanks for the heads up... That is awesome.

*game wasnt that bad until I tried the acrobat challenge, so friggen frustrating. Doesn't go where you want it...[/QUOTE]
Tell me you mean Sharpshooter. Sharpshooter is freaking hard.

wow I just bought this game last week, that sucks. It was well worth evrey penny to me, but It sucks that they make it avalible for free a week latter.

So does this mean it's free until May 21, then afterwards if you want to keep it you gotta pay for it? Or is is free for anyone who downloads it until May 21?

[quote name='Devil May Cry']Tell me you mean Sharpshooter. Sharpshooter is freaking hard.[/QUOTE]
Yea Sharpshooter was frustrating as well - but flinging around with the ragdoll trying to make a precise jump is a pain.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']If you download it between now and May 21, it's all yours.[/QUOTE]

Sweet. Grabbin' it now. :)

Yes, the motion controls blow. Friggen spazzing out with my hands as I play... Could they make meditate any harder? Something postive - I enjoy the similar "emote" controls (like in LBP R2+L2) and how their tone changes depending how you move.

The theme song is worth the download by itself, enchanting. Thank goodness the tutorial didn't overstay its welcome; off-the wall SIXAXIS implementation makes this one unique fighter that was obviously conceived to be played with friends which makes it all the more disappointing to see no online. Still, I appreciated the strong essence of Kung Fu Hustle molded into a spazz-ballet of toy action figures with spot on art design. Got a genuine laugh when the AI uppercut me into a pretzel, hard game to master with the SIXAXIS so I don't expect to unlock anything else other than the one challenge room I have; at least it got me excited for Invincible Tiger: The Legend of Han Tao.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSQoWnf3ym8

Good on'ya Sprint!

[quote name='Magus8472']Wow.

This game is terrible.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I'm thankful I didn't pay for the game last week or I'd really have felt jobbed. I didn't play enough of it to have a complete opinion, but it really just felt like a poor man's Smash Bros., but worse.

Sony's sending back my PS3 as of today, so I should have it by Monday. I hope they don't pull this deal before then or I'll be annoyed. I wanna try the game, but judging from everyone else's opinions so far it's only worth $0.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Sony's sending back my PS3 as of today, so I should have it by Monday. I hope they don't pull this deal before then or I'll be annoyed. I wanna try the game, but judging from everyone else's opinions so far it's only worth $0.[/QUOTE]

Well Monday is the 18th, so if it does stay on schedule, you should be able to get in on this. But yeah I do not think this is worth the $10, at least in its current form.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Sony's sending back my PS3 as of today, so I should have it by Monday. I hope they don't pull this deal before then or I'll be annoyed. I wanna try the game, but judging from everyone else's opinions so far it's only worth $0.[/QUOTE]You could always sign in with your PSN account on a friend's PS3. The free game download would then be logged in your download list. Delete your profile from his machine and your done. Once you get your PS3 back, you could just download it again there, regardless of when you get your machine back and it would still be free.

[quote name='el_cheezer']You could always sign in with your PSN account on a friend's PS3. The free game download would then be logged in your download list. Delete your profile from his machine and your done. Once you get your PS3 back, you could just download it again there, regardless of when you get your machine back and it would still be free.[/QUOTE]

I was also going to say that I'm sure a fellow CAG member wouldn't mind making a dummy account for you

A little tip to make the fighting based Challenges easier. When you get low on health and have at least 2 Chi Orbs, get to the tallest part of the level, jump, and then Firefly straight up. Once when the Firefly runs out, meditate. Enemies cant reach you if you do this. For those of you who don't know, you can control the Firefly by holding the analog stick in the direction you want it to go (explained in the Firefly challenge).

bread's done
Back