PlayStation at Lollapalooza, anybody going?

TimPV3

CAGiversary!
Feedback
65 (98%)
I got the phone call this morning, and I'm one of the G.A.P. members selected to work Lollapalooza in Chicago next week! If anybody is going, they're having two big tents, one with Rockband/Singstar, and another with LittleBigPlanet.

Basically, I'm getting paid $22 an hour to show off the games to the public and make sure nobody hangs around too long. I go at noon on the 31st for training, and I'm pretty excited. They're supplying the uniform, and I'm hoping I get some cool free shit too. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Being a G.A.P. member myself, Sony asked me to host SingStar at a local TRU and handle PlayStation stuff at a concert within Indy. I wanted to do it, but lacked transportation to get there.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Being a G.A.P. member myself, Sony asked me to host SingStar at a local TRU and handle PlayStation stuff at a concert within Indy. I wanted to do it, but lacked transportation to get there.[/quote]I live two hours away from Chicago, but my buddy lives up there and luckily his place is just a short walk away from the train. Otherwise it'd be a major pain in the ass.

I got the e-mail invite to work @ Lollapalooza too but I was unsure that I'd be back in the States in time to go so I didn't bother applying.

Ironically enough I'm going back on the 29th and I just dropped $205 for a 3-day pass. D'oh!

We're going all three days (me and two buddies). Sounds like a great line-up (music and games).

I'll be sure to drop by. WIll that be RB1 or 2?

I'll be there!

I'm flying out Thursday night and back on Monday night.

Definitely need to find some time to check out that Little Big Planet tent.

Also posted this in the Lolla thread, but here's my "must see" agenda for the weekend:

Friday
Manchester Orchestra
Rogue Wave
Electric Touch
Louis XIV or The Kills
Gogol Bordello or The Black Keys
Mates of State
Bloc Party
CSS
Radiohead

Saturday
Does It Offend You, Yeah?
The Ting Tings
Innerpartysystem
The Gutter Twins
MGMT
DeVotchka
Brand New or Explosions in the Sky
Battles
Toadies
Wilco or Bloc Party @ House of Blues

Sunday
Office
Weakerthans
Chromeo
Iron and Wine
Saul Williams
Flogging Molly
Love and Rockets
The National
Saul Williams
Nine Inch Nails

What is a G.A.P. Member and where do I sign up? Lollapalooza sounds like a lot of fun, to bad I can't make it!

Just got back from Lolla. Got to check out the PS3 stands. PLaying LBP was a thrill. They were even quoting a release date of October 21st. Not sure if you can believe it, but that is what one guys said.

The SingStar booth was a bit of a disappointment. It sounded like they thought by grouping all the people who wanted to sing similar songs together, things would move more quickly. However, by the time the 4th person in a row started to sing Radiohead's "Creep" I couldn't take it anymore and left.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I ended up just working some Local shows and bailed out on doing Lollapalooza. Anything about the game you can share with us?

[quote name='smiggity']Yeah I ended up just working some Local shows and bailed out on doing Lollapalooza. Anything about the game you can share with us?[/quote]

I assume you're talking about LBP. Yeah, it was great. Clearly a far from done build as it hiccuped quite a bit. Didn't take away from the charm though.

It was harder to control than I expected though. Also, my enjoyment factor went up considerably when other players joined in.

I'm not so sure it will be a first-day purchase anymore though. It looks fun, but a lot (and I mean a lot) is coming out this fall that I want to get. At $60 a pop it is tough to get everything. If I can get my wife to play, then I will get it.

[quote name='Dr. Strangepork']Just got back from Lolla. Got to check out the PS3 stands. PLaying LBP was a thrill. They were even quoting a release date of October 21st. Not sure if you can believe it, but that is what one guys said.

The SingStar booth was a bit of a disappointment. It sounded like they thought by grouping all the people who wanted to sing similar songs together, things would move more quickly. However, by the time the 4th person in a row started to sing Radiohead's "Creep" I couldn't take it anymore and left.[/quote]What time did you go? I was telling people it was probably coming out October 21st, as we were quoted mid-October.

The build they had going was the full game code (including the little Helghast Sackboy), but all I could get out of the producer was it was an alpha build and has been being used for a while. I tried out the level creator, but the debug unit totally froze up on me halfway through the tutorial.

I agree it was hard to control at points, and slowdown came at some of the weirdest times. With four controllers hooked up it also got confusing picking levels if you weren't player one, and I was surprised they erased all the progress every night, since the game is a little slow at first. Everybody seemed to love it though, the tent got really loud throughout the day.

Just got back from Lolla and was fortunate to get a little time with Little Big Planet on Sunday. Very charming with an excellent sense of fun.

While watching the videos of the levels being built my girlfriend (who struggles with anything beyond Tetris and Brain Age) actually said, "I would play this".

The Singstar tent was weak but the dudes there gave us some free PS3 sunblock and a bunch of coupons for free Sweet Tea!

bread's done
Back