New SMT game - Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs Avadon King

CoffeeEdge

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
Seems like Persona gets all the attention these days, but I'm a big fan of Devil Summoner, myself (I have the Saturn original, somewhere...).

Anyways, the sequel to Raidou Kuzunoha vs the Soulless Army was just unveiled in the latest Famitsu. It's called Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs Avadon King:

1217392417874.jpg

Looking forward to this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy hell.. look at that face. Kazuma Kaneko is either losing his touch or someone else is handling the art...

Isn't it probably Abaddon instead of Avadon? Seeing as the former is a demon and one is someone's best guess at romanization?

I never tried the first one but I'm loving nocturne (playing it now) so I'll probably get this if I can find it cheap.

Would have preferred a SMT 4 for PS3 announcement, maybe at TGS.

[quote name='happy']I never tried the first one but I'm loving nocturne (playing it now) so I'll probably get this if I can find it cheap.

Would have preferred a SMT 4 for PS3 announcement, maybe at TGS.[/quote]
Atlus has supposedly been hiring programmers for PS3 and Xbox 360, so hopefully they're working on it.

Just imagining the atmosphere of a next-gen main Shin Megami Tensei game seems promising. :)

[quote name='62t']It looks like there will be a version that comes with Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne Manaix Chronicle Edition, basically Nocturne with Radiou (I am guessing Dante will be replaced)

http://www.siliconera.com/2008/07/3...-and-in-a-shin-megami-tensei-nocturne-remake/[/quote]

I kept wondering why people were saying it was coming with Nocturne, because I couldn't find any news on it. I wonder if the story (such as it is) will change with Raidou? Interesting indeed.

I wonder if Atlus can sell both games for $50. The demand for Nocturne reprint was high and the sales for the first devil summoner was poor, so it would make sense to bundle the two games together.

Man, if Raidou doesn't replace Dante in Nocturne, this could be fucking great.

And is that screenshot from the new Devil Summoner game? Because it looks nothing like the original, and that's a very good thing. Press turn 4 lyfe.

[quote name='Chacrana']And is that screenshot from the new Devil Summoner game? Because it looks nothing like the original, and that's a very good thing. Press turn 4 lyfe.[/QUOTE]

The screen is Nocturne.

I wonder if this and Nocturne gets localized. If Mana Khemia 2,this and Nocturne's 2nd Japan Remake gets localizes it'll be one hell of a 2009. I think Poison Pink is coming soon too.

Wait, so Nocture is getting remade or just replaced with a character as was said? eh, I'm confused.

I want a new Nocturne game, not a shitty summoner game. Atleast thats what I read, because I never bought any of the summoner games.

Vs. The Soulless Army sucked pretty hard. It had a good setting and a seemingly interesting plot, but I hated the boring battle system and frequent random encounters.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Wait, so Nocture is getting remade or just replaced with a character as was said? eh, I'm confused.

I want a new Nocturne game, not a shitty summoner game. Atleast thats what I read, because I never bought any of the summoner games.[/QUOTE]

it is not a remake, more like a minor update with new character and maybe other things.

The last devil summoner felt more like Pokemon, but in real time and you can control your trainer. Those neon glow sticks seem like pokeball and those special mosnter abilities that are used to advance to next checkpoint, draw a close line between Pokemon surf or cut ability. The problem that game, it is incredibly imbalance. If you pump all your stats in strength, you can rifle through that game real fast. Not to mention, high encounter rate and it's super repetitive, but that's pretty standard in hack/slash games.

I'll definatly pick this up. The first one was very repetative but the presentation made up for it in my book. Hopefully they give Raidou more than 3 moves. I've always been addicted to the SMT fusion process. I would often spend 30 minutes fusing one demon, getting him just right.

And even though I liked Persona 3's different art direction it felt odd without Kaneko's touch. Glad to see his designs again.

[quote name='willardhaven']Vs. The Soulless Army sucked pretty hard. It had a good setting and a seemingly interesting plot, but I hated the boring battle system and frequent random encounters.[/QUOTE]
I have to agree with this. Hopefully they fix this one up.

Atlus just posted picture of the ultimate Atlus spoil to date. Very, very nice retail packaging unlike their other Atlus spoils.

devilsummoner2_finalpackage.jpg

i am ALL about this game, i'm playing the first one and its pretty good...the persona/SMT series has overtaken my love of all things FF and Suikoden.

Got mine today. Each collector's edition is numbered. Highest number reported so far according to GAF is 40000. Mine is 13666, the devil's number. :hot: It works considering what game it is. I'll start playing sometime this weekend or earlier.

Anyone had a chance to open this up and play it yet? I still got another hour of Fallout 3 before I can open this up and was hoping someone had some early impressions on the game.

Sure, but this is a copy/paste of what I wrote in the RPG thread:

Started up Devil Summoner 2 a few days ago. My biggest praise is much better control over your demons during battles. You get 2 demons instead of 1, you can select their opening attack, and by holding L2 your demons hide so the can't get hit plus they regroup on you. This really helps when a boss is about to pull off a huge attack. Raidou has a couple new tricks, he can dodge, they added a strong attack button and he can use diffrent weapons like axes & lances.

With all that said there are a few things that annoy me. Keep in mind I'm only 7 hours in. So far the game is pretty much a copy/paste of the first one from music, locations, demons & world map. And IMO the story isn't that interesting so far. Some might hate that the random encounter rate is still high, but so far the dungeons are small and you only fight enemies while you're in the "Dark Relm"

Rodimus, have you actually gotten all of your demons back from the first game? They say here that the only demons you get back easily are:

Ukobach
Jack Frost
Agathion
Poltergeist
Moh Shuvuu
Obariyon
Mokoi
Ippon-datara

If this is the case, I have no reason to fill out my compendium in DS1 (though there does seem to be a monetary bonus for loading data with > 60% compendium completion.)

I didn't know that. I only asumed you could get them all back. Anyways if that's true then that sucks. Those are some low level demons.

I got this on Saturday.. I have a huge backlog so I plan to open this sometime around X-mas probably. All of the Xenosaga's, Wild Arms 3-5, Suikoden 3-5, Gradia 2,3 and Extreme, FF XII and Lunar 1 and 2..... So many games sooo little time. :/

Grandia 1 and 2 were awesome, WA 1-3 were awesome and xenosaga was alright. FF XII was over rated. Lunar 1 and 2 are my favorite games. Sorry just had to comment.

bread's done
Back