Should I get a DS or a PSP? Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jello00

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Alright. I have decided that I'm finally going to buy a DS or a PSP. However, I'm not quite sure which one I should get.

I already own a Wii and a PS2 so I am a fan of both Nintendo and Sony.

I'm asking this question in both the DS and PSP forums to find out which group of gamers has the best reason for me to buy their handheld. (admins, is this ok? If not, let me know where I should post)

Thanks for the advice ahead of time and if there are any specific deals that would tip the scale in one direction, please let me know.

Thanks CAGs!!!

It depends on several factors really. What kind of games are you into? Would you use the PSP for it's multimedia features, like mp3 and umd movies? Are you sharing the system with anyone else? I dunno, give us an idea of what you're into and we can narrow it down easier I'd imagine.

/\ I had a few Ds's since launch. Skipped the price on the PSP and waitied a bit, won a PSP and loved Jeanne D' Arc and bought a few more solid titles. Now I am swaying back to the DS. It depends on the games you prefer, and where when, and how you play it.

Ok. I got the same questions on both forums so let me try and explain a little more and see if you guys can drop some more knowledge on me.

There are things about both systems that I really like, I'm just having a hard time weighing out the options and picking one.

I don't really have a long commute or a downtime where I plan on playing either daily or even many times a week. My main use will be on long road trips, flights (long flights are big for me since I often fly from SF to NY for work) or days I want to sit outside and play some games. I feel like I would get less immersed into a game with the DS... is that right?

One feature I really like about the PSP is the Skype use since my parents live overseas and that will let me talk to them more often... but I'm not even really sure how it works. Does it connect to wireless internet like the iPod Touch?

Ultimately, this is what I'm thinking. The DS is at a much better price point for me and I think I would really like it. However, since I play with my Wii a lot :)booty: that always sounds funny) I feel like I need to branch out from Nintendo a bit. And since I still really like a lot of my PS2 games I think I would also really like the PSP. But if I don't play it daily or often enough will I lose interest in the story line of most of the PSP games?

Games I like on my Wii:
Mario Galaxy
Mario Kart
Zelda

Games I like on my PS2:
God of War
GTA
Katamari
Resident Evil

Games games games. What good is a console if it doesn't have any games you like? Pick one with more attractive lineup of games.

If you want copies of your console experiences,PSP is good.

If you want a varied selection of quirky games you won't find anywhere else, the DS is yours.

Personally the DS is my favorite of the two.

I feel as though I may have similar preferences as you and I ended up with a DS. I love my PS3 to death and the Wii collects dust sitting next to it, but you might be able to call me a soft-core Nintendo fanboy. I eat up everything Mario and Zelda.. to an extent Metroid. I was also drawn to Nintendos innovative philosophy with the touch screen (and with motion controls with the Wii... which turned out to not do that much for me so far).

But in a nutshell, you could have asked me what was out for the PSP and DS a week ago and I would have told you "Umm.. GoW for PSP and Mario/Zelda/Metroid/Brain Age/Ninja Gaiden/Civ Rev ect.. for the DS." I won't lie, I was always leaning towards getting a DS so I never took the time to find out what is out on a PSP. The only other thing I like about the PSP is the functionality between the PS3. I'd love to play some of the PixelJunk games through Remote Play. Ultimately I also decided that I didn't like the 'joystick' on the PSP after playing with my friends GoW:CoO for 10 minutes.

You also get BC with GBA with the DS. But if you're crafty you'll be able to figure out how to play PS1 games on your PSP. I guess this is something that really doesn't have a downside on either side of the equation, but the 1st party support put Nintendo over the top for me. Maybe I was just talking in circles, but that may shed some light on it for you I hope.

[quote name='jello00']
Games I like on my Wii:
Mario Galaxy
Mario Kart
Zelda

Games I like on my PS2:
God of War
GTA
Katamari
Resident Evil[/quote]

This tells almost nothing about your game preference other than that you like popular top selling games. You should list some stuff that you like but is not that popular. :)

Of the games you like (although I agree with the above that those don't really give us much), Mario is on the DS (Twice, actually; SM64DS and NSMB), as is Mario Kart. Zelda has Phantom Hourglass. There is a GTA game coming up, and there is a remake of the original RE as well. On the PSP side, obviously you have God of War and the "Stories" GTA games. There was a Katamari game, but from what I hear it isn't too bright.

Overall, I'd say look at games. Look at your review site of choice (mine is IGN; yours might be something else or a stack of magazines), check out the different titles. See what scores highest. Check out metacritic (I keep hearing about some site called "Gamerankings", which seems much the same, but I already have metacritic bookmarked so meh) and again, check out the different games.

Also check out sites devoted to those consoles (dsfanboy.com and pspfanboy.com would be my recommedations here; again, other people would recommend other sites) and see what's buzzing around.

Regarding specific connections; I don't know much about the PSP's skype connectivity, but you can always install Skype on your computer. The DS has some VOIP support, but unless you're planning on buying your parents their own DS (and a copy of some game with VOIP, like Pokemon), then you're kinda SOL.

If you can, get your hands on one-- and I mean actually get your hands on one, not those store displays where they're locked up into some metal contraption that makes *all* game systems uncomfortable. Go to a friend who has them or a used games shop or something, see what you find comfortable. I've heard complaints about the PSP's joystick, I've heard people who loathe stylus controls.

Basically, do the research, then start asking questions.

[quote name='jello00']I don't really have a long commute or a downtime where I plan on playing either daily or even many times a week. My main use will be on long road trips, flights (long flights are big for me since I often fly from SF to NY for work) or days I want to sit outside and play some games. I feel like I would get less immersed into a game with the DS... is that right?[/QUOTE]
The thing about the PSP, is that it is basically another console, just smaller and portable. The games are essentially the same as a regular console.

The DS presents a different user experience. You can't get any touch games on a console you have a home.

I am in a similar situation as you in that I mainly use my DS at home or outside. I am a stay-at-home dad, so I often use it at playgrounds while my daughter is playing. If I had a PSP at home, I could just as easily play my Wii or PS2. However, with the DS, I feel a desire to play a the portable system even though I have two TVs with a console connected to each. The touch screen brings something new. To me, the PSP may as well just be a Game Gear that plays MP3s.

It really comes down to a couple of things.

1. Which one has more games that you like. They both have solid games, but different types of games. DS has more 2D games, touch screen stuff and quirky, weird games. PSP has some of those, but has a lot of good 3D, PS2-like games. So it's a matter of what you want. I prefer DS as I have no desire to play console-lke games on a portable since I use it most of the time at home and could just play my consoles. DS offers more stuff I can't play anything similar too on consoles so it is better for me--though I still barely touch it these days.

2. Do you want multimedia functions? If so the PSP is the way to go.

3. Hardware differences. How do you like the PSP's Dpad and analog nub? The DS battery life is longer. etc.

If you had a PS3, I would say that you should get a PSP because of their interconnectivity and the fact that there are finally some great games coming out for the system after a long drought. PSP will have better graphics, but DS will have a LOT more games and genres available.

[quote name='lilboo']Super Princess Peach was the better game compared to New Super Mario Bros. :nottalking:[/QUOTE]

Indeed.

As far as what system to get the PSP has a lot of good games...but not that many coming up. Honestly I don't even know if any PSP games have been released in the US in the last couple of weeks. I've only got like 6 PSP games on my upcoming release list. It depends if you like using a touchscreen a lot. I personally don't. There's a lot of games for the DS where I feel like companies would rather be developing for the GBA 2, where the bottom screen is simply a map or your inventory and the touchscreen use is minimal/nonexistant. The DS has a ton of classic RPG remakes coming up if that's your thing. Overall I feel the PSP has better games, but it also feels like companies have forgotten it exists, at least in the US.

[quote name='rainking187']Overall I feel the PSP has better games, but it also feels like companies have forgotten it exists, at least in the US.[/quote]

They didn't forget. Other then Nintendo published/developed titles, portable games rarely sells more than million copies. And to that fact that PSP games cost more to produce...

[quote name='lilboo']Super Princess Peach was the better game compared to New Super Mario Bros. :nottalking:[/quote]
Say what!? Wow, from most people I might ignore a comment like this, but from lilboo... Now I'm going to have to dig up my copy of SPP and finish it to figure out what you're talking about.

As to the original question. I have both and like them both. But like people have said above, it comes down to the games. They both have great games, but which ones do you want to play on a handheld? Since I have a PS2, I'm not so excited about various GTA games, since I know they'll almost certainly be ported to the PS2 eventually, if not already. On the other hand, if you're not into the touch screen, the DS would get old fast. And of course, both have after market enhancements that increase the amount of things you can do with them.

If you can only afford one, I would probably suggest the DS, but ultimately, there are fun games to play on both systems, and if that's all you care about you can't lose.

I haven't played either but I've heard SPP was way more original than NSMB. I'm all for Nintendo turning Peach into a viable franchise like they did to Wario though.

[quote name='jello00']I don't really have a long commute or a downtime where I plan on playing either daily or even many times a week. [highlight]My main use will be on long road trips, flights (long flights are big for me since I often fly from SF to NY for work)[/highlight] or days I want to sit outside and play some games. I feel like I would get less immersed into a game with the DS... is that right?
[/QUOTE]

I think this seals it for the DS. Assuming you fly like me with a connection and two fairly long flights (I fly from Portland to DC a lot), then you will need the longer battery life of the DS. I'd say hands down, get the DS in this case. On my last trip I had Advance Wars Days of Ruin with me on the plane and it made the cross-country flight go by faster than it ever had before. And the light on the DS was still green at the end of 2 flights and some play time in the airport as well.

I have never used my PSP out of the house, but I don't think they last nearly as long due to the UMD and the brighter/larger screen. Plus I feel like the DS is more durable and truly more portable. I never feel like I can take my PSP out anywhere as I don't want to scratch it or anything. The clamshell nature of the DS is great. Yeah, I have the plastic shell for the PSP but that just makes it larger and more unwieldy - and much less easy to hold.

So, without even considering game selection, I'd say pick up a DS first. It's not like either one will break the bank so you can always get a PSP later if you feel you need to branch out. I'm assuming you have the CAG skills (or can learn them) to get tons of games on the cheap - after all, that's where the money gets spent. The console/system itself is incidental ;).

Hey everybody.

I want to thank you guys for all the insights, even from those that thought I wasn't giving enough information (this is why I love CAGs... so helpful!). I did end up getting a DS and I've been playing it the past couple of days and I'm really, really happy with it.

I think the battery life suggestions and the games I researched online really sealed the deal but all (well, most) of the posts were helpful.

Thanks again to everyone and I'll be seeing more of you on this forum.

OK, well if you've made your choice and are happy with it then I think we're done here...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back