Found a flea on my dog should I be worried?

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
83 (100%)
So earlier I thought I found a flea on my cocker spaniel but before I could tell I dropped the damn thing back onto her. Little later in the day found one and know its a flea because I killed it. Its been YEARS since I had to deal with fleas(my last few dogs have been good, it was just our cat that brought them in)so im wondering what now? We groomed her really really well and didnt find another flea on her, we even checked near her anus and tail but found absolutely nothing. Is there a chance this was just a flea or two that got on her today on her walk....or is she probally infested?

I plan on calling the vet tomorrow, but figured for now so many people have dogs it probably doesn't hurt to ask here for advice like on if we should give her a bath immediatly(just gave her one 2 days ago)or wait or if there is something else we could/should do.

Edit - None found in her kennel or on her blanket.

Only five percent of the flea population in your home is made up of adult fleas. There are probably hundreds of eggs in your carpet and furniture.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Only five percent of the flea population in your home is made up of adult fleas. There are probably hundreds of eggs in your carpet and furniture.[/QUOTE]

THIS is why my fiancee is freaking out. Personally im thinking eh just one flea.....there may be tons more in the house........but that may have been the first flea. And again iv never had a problem with dogs and fleas just cats. However......this terrifies my fiancee and is a possibilty. As I said I didnt figure its worth asking here incase someone had a good suggestion.

[quote name='MSI Magus']So earlier I thought I found a flea on my cocker spaniel but before I could tell I dropped the damn thing back onto her. Little later in the day found one and know its a flea because I killed it. Its been YEARS since I had to deal with fleas(my last few dogs have been good, it was just our cat that brought them in)so im wondering what now? We groomed her really really well and didnt find another flea on her, we even checked near her anus and tail but found absolutely nothing. Is there a chance this was just a flea or two that got on her today on her walk....or is she probally infested?

I plan on calling the vet tomorrow, but figured for now so many people have dogs it probably doesn't hurt to ask here for advice like on if we should give her a bath immediatly(just gave her one 2 days ago)or wait or if there is something else we could/should do.

Edit - None found in her kennel or on her blanket.[/QUOTE]

It could have been a fluke but I would put your pets on Frontline just to be safe.

[quote name='keithp']I'd be worried. There's never just one flea. Just like there's never just one cockroach![/quote]

You spelled "Puerto Rican" wrong.

If you see one, there's definitely a lot more, hiding deeper in the fur, perhaps in carpet, etc. Definitely put all pets on flea medication (the liquid stuff that goes between the shoulders, not flea collars which are extremely dangerous).

When my wife and I moved into our first apartment when we were still dating, I got insect bites on my ankles and feet. Turns out they were flea bites from my feet hanging off the bed while we slept. Our cats had fleas for probably six months before the fuckers finally died off after a flea bomb and medication. Total pain in the ass.

What's so bad with the flea collars? I use to buy those for my dogs but my vet told me to switch to the liquid stuff. It's kinda of a pain in the ass to apply every month so I've been thinking of switching back to the collars.

[quote name='JimmieMac']You spelled "Puerto Rican" wrong.[/QUOTE]

HAHAHA. You win everything.

And finding one flea on your dog isnt too much to worry about. Finding your dog on top of a flea may be something though. I would get some flea medicine though to wipe on your dogs back.

My god... you should not have pets.

I found three fleas on my cat yesterday, when I was growing up they would be loaded with them because Advantage wasn't made yet or something. flea collars are useless as all the cats I had would try to eat their heads off before wearing one. One flea won't kill your cat.

You should be more worried about ticks, now those kill.

[quote name='cletus']What's so bad with the flea collars? I use to buy those for my dogs but my vet told me to switch to the liquid stuff. It's kinda of a pain in the ass to apply every month so I've been thinking of switching back to the collars.[/QUOTE]

Just take your pet in to the vet and have him give him a flea bath dunk. IMO that's the most effective treatment. Although you gotta be sure you've bombed your place or the fuckers will just hop back on him as soon as he gets home.

[quote name='keithp']Just take your pet in to the vet and have him give him a flea bath dunk. IMO that's the most effective treatment. Although you gotta be sure you've bombed your place or the fuckers will just hop back on him as soon as he gets home.[/QUOTE]

Actually just got off the phone with my vet. His response shows why there is such a mixed argument here. He said that 1 flea often means there are many more, but sometimes if you caught it early or if your pet is resistant there might not be more. He said that basically again its often the case that your going to get infested, but isnt a gurantee. He recommended NOT giving her a flea bath or putting off a bomb but instead just coming in and getting the medication that goes across the back of a dogs neck. He said that it will last for 30 days and not only kill any fleas on her but also eggs or anything that hops back on her.

So seemed about in line with what I was thinking. Still as I said it didnt hurt to create a topic just to see what other peoples experiences were. Anyways thanks for the responses...well cept for bigdaddy ;)

Just imagine those happy little bugs, bouncing on your sofa from your dog's back...

While you're searching for fleas, you might buy a fine-toothed comb for the dog's hair. Also it doubles as a lice-comb if you find yourself the unlucky host sometime! (Make sure you boil the comb between uses, though, to kill lice/flea and their eggs.)

[quote name='cletus']What's so bad with the flea collars? I use to buy those for my dogs but my vet told me to switch to the liquid stuff. It's kinda of a pain in the ass to apply every month so I've been thinking of switching back to the collars.[/QUOTE]

First of all, from your cat or dog's point of view (or smell, rather) they stink. Really bad. Really, really bad. Like having someone spray ammonia in your face all day.

Second they can cause a type of chemical-induced dermatitis.

To the OP, your vet is right. Basically you're going to kill off anything that jumps on your pet before they can lay any eggs. Pretty much the way to go since bombs really only solve half of the problem.

bread's done
Back