Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle Cars - $9.99 - $5 Sale From 10/15 to 10/29

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
I got a press release about this game, which seems to be an RC Car Combat Soccer game for PSN. If you want to see screenshots or a video of its in action, check out the official site here.

Psyonix Studios today announced Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars, an arena-based online vehicle sports game for PLAYSTATION(r) Network that brings together animated vehicles in sports-like gameplay.

The game features vehicles with incredible physics-based maneuverability, including boosters for launching high into the air or accelerating at break-neck speed on the ground. In the air, cars can roll, flip, jump, dodge or spin. In this team-based soccer-inspired game, the vehicles maneuver to perform breathtaking saves, awe-inspiring shots on goal, and gruesome demolishes of opponent cars. These abilities, combined with the players' own creativity, create a unique and thrilling experience every time.

Wide-ranging community involvement is supported through team and league play, as well as extensive statistical tracking, rankings, and rewards for individuals and teams. The game features mini-games and single player matches as well as team and league matches and scrimmage matches online. Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars will also feature PLAYSTATION(r)3 computer entertainment system trophies and players will be able to upload videos of their most exciting games to YouTube.

"It takes a pretty special game to carry such a lengthy title and be able to hold its head high amongst games with much shorter names," commented Dave Hagewood, Director of Development at Psyonix Studios. "Thankfully, we don't have to worry about fitting this title on a package."

Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars is expected to be available in early fall 2008.
If you've never heard of Psyonix, here's their previous work, which includes porting Monster Madness to the PS3 and helping out with the development of Gears of War, Unreal Tournament III, and Unreal Tournament 2k4.

I like that they're going to be supporting trophies and the new Youtube upload feature, as well. Looks interesting right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well combat sports games are greatly needed (I still think mutant league football and hockey were two of the greatest sports titles of all time and at the top of my games which need sequels list). Car combat also rocks (I was praying for a twisted metal announcement at E3), so this has a lot of potential in my book.

Hopefully it will be out sometime this year...

I just saw that :)

Yay for not making me wait 6 months plus for PSN games (fat princess/flower/wipeout, etc.)

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3169968&p=37

Some new info from 1up:
In between working on other projects (notably, Unreal Tournament 2004 and Gears of War), Psyonix have been quietly creating their own original IP, Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars, and it's almost ready for release. Talking with one of the developers, we found that their primary goal was to create a game that's just pure, multiplayer fun, and it looks like they're on the right track.

The premise of the PlayStation Network-exclusive title is simple -- play soccer with remote-controlled cars that can fly and destroy one another. You score by ramming your titular battle-car into an obscenely large ball to send it rolling toward the goal while avoiding getting slammed by your opponents. Up to four players can get together locally, or eight people can join up for online carnage.

This downloadable game has notable extras. A well-integrated movie-creator mode allows you to take a saved match, cut together scenes from any angle, speed it up, slow it down, and then post it for the world's viewing enjoyment on PSN and YouTube. If you want to take your boasting one step further, it also has bronze, silver, and gold Trophy support.

For the truly dedicated, clan-like leagues look to ensure that the hardcore will have an outlet for mastering the game. And leaderboards and easily created tournaments should let top players vie for distinction. However, Psyonix promises that their matchmaking system should ensure fair, balanced matches even for new players.

Despite these trappings, the game is very minimalist. Your only power -- besides jumping -- is the ability to boost across the stage at supersonic speeds. And the only power-ups in the game are capsules that replenish your boost meter. It's got no obstacles to dodge or crazy mazes to navigate. It's just you, the ball, and the other players. Even with this stripped-down aesthetic, the frenetic pace takes a few matches to get used to.

Eight cars fill out the game's roster -- although you'll have to unlock six of them -- from an old-timey Model T to a steampunk-inspired spheroid. The differences are almost entirely cosmetic, however, and the stats for each vehicle are exactly the same. Since the car itself doesn't matter, a vehicle-customization mode would seem to make sense, but that feature is strangely absent.

The developers haven't ignored the single-player mode. Twenty minigames, designed to both improve and test your driving skills, flesh out the experience. A few we saw involved destroying as many enemy cars as possible in a given time limit and guarding your goal from cannon-propelled balls. But no matter how much fun they may be to master and unlock, the main draw of this game is the multiplayer.

With a simple concept and addictive local co-op, Battle-Cars may be a surprise hit when it finally becomes available for download. Look for Psyonix to release the game and demo simultaneously sometime early this fall.

Where the hell are all these things coming from?! I remember last year we had like no PSN games, now we're swimming in em.

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/10/02/battle-cars-details-price-and-date-revealed/

Looks like SARPBC will be coming out next week for $14.99.

Battle Cars will feature trophy support, YouTube uploading, custom soundtracks, online leaderboards and online voice chat. There will also be a video editor within the game, giving you lots of advanced options to edit the footage in-game, including adding slow motion to replays. Offline, the game will support 4 players, while online will support 8. Multiple players on a single PS3 can play together in online matches, so two PS3s with 4 players on each is entirely possible.

The game will launch with three maps, though more will follow. There's also the possibility that some DLC may be free, though that's unconfirmed as of yet (confirmed!).

Just a bump since this comes out today, there's a new video on the PSBlog, demo will have online and offline. Looks like it should be good.

Has this gone live yet?

I have been waiting forever for this to come out and I still have two hours before I can get home to play it!

Could someone buy it and describe themselves playing it....I need my fix!

Has there been any talk of a CAG team?

I was reading that this supports teams in the sense that anytime you and your team play together it will count toward an overall team leaderboard. I am very much interested in starting one if anyone else would be down.

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']Has there been any talk of a CAG team?

I was reading that this supports teams in the sense that anytime you and your team play together it will count toward an overall team leaderboard. I am very much interested in starting one if anyone else would be down.[/QUOTE]

Hey -- I'm interested. Count me in!

So did any one buy or try this?

I gave the demo a shot and it struck me as very "meh".
I also didn't notice a way to play anything but the boring mini-games. Is there a way to actually play the soccer mode in the demo?

Agree. The trailers all looked so cool too, but in the end the game was a little underwhelming. At $10 it would look more like a deal, but at 15 it's really only worth it on a gameshare.

You can play a soccer game online or withe a friend, but I couldn't find a single player game. Unfortunitly the game doesn't last and it tells you to get the full version for a full match. Something I would have done if Sony would accept the fact that I live in an apt, stupid CC entry form. ..

[quote name='basilofbkrst']You can play a soccer game online or withe a friend, but I couldn't find a single player game. Unfortunitly the game doesn't last and it tells you to get the full version for a full match. Something I would have done if Sony would accept the fact that I live in an apt, stupid CC entry form. ..[/quote]
CC's work for me and I live in an apartment.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']CC's work for me and I live in an apartment.[/quote]

How did you enter your address? street address on line 1, APT on line 2?

[quote name='basilofbkrst']How did you enter your address? street address on line 1, APT on line 2?[/QUOTE]Put your apartment number in address line 1, with the rest of your apartment in address line 2. PSN is very picky when it comes to info.

Also, make SURE the info you enter matches what your bank has for your DC/CC on file. If it says you live on oak st, you put oak st. Putting "Oak ST" might cause an issue (it can be case sensitive). It should work, but being case sensitive and apartment number needs to be on line 1 are the two mistakes most people make.

[quote name='basilofbkrst']How did you enter your address? street address on line 1, APT on line 2?[/quote]
Same line. I just typed it in the same way I do for anything and it worked perfectly.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I guess we can. I probably won't be able to get on to create it tonight, but if you want to go ahead and do it, be my guest.

Recorded my first online match and uploaded it to Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0U7sN936CU

Scored two goals in a 4-3 overtime loss and earned MVP honors.[/quote]

awesome match, but the video is missing super duper awesome blood pumping music of fuck yeah.
Also, tried the card again, and another card but they refused to work. Im going to Blockbuster tomarrow to grab a network card, I'm quitin' this CC mess.

Last edited by a moderator:
The game's developer has been posting on GAF, and he mentioned the game was built around online multi-player. Many people at GAF who actually purchased it said it has a lot of features. From what I can tell, it's difficult to tell by playing the demo.

Are a lot of people playing. My fear is that after a few weeks nobody will be online (especially with LBP coming out soon). The demo seemed like it could be a lot of fun for a change of pace, and the devs seem like they want to provide a lot of support.

I've created a CAG team, so if you've got the game and want on it, let me know and I'll invite you on to the team since I don't think you can apply for the team.

As for the amount of people playing, I wouldn't say that there's a ton or that it's a ghost town, but I wouldn't be surprised if the community dries up at some point if the developers aren't able to get new content out there to keep people coming back after all of the big games coming this holiday season.

I've got a review that'll be coming out soon, so I'll make sure to post it for those of you that are wanting to hear more opinions on the game.

Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars is getting a little bit smaller tomorrow. And by that, we don't mean the name -- we mean the price. The PlayStation Network-exclusive title will drop to $9.99.

If the price drop isn't enticing enough, Psyonix is also adding a brand new arena to the game for absolutely free -- no need to buy DLC. Here's the full list of new features:

1. New "Cosmic" arena
2. Improved performance in network games
3. A server browser has been added during matchmaking
4. Players can now view leaderboards during matchmaking
5. News updates appear on the online page
6. Meters added to evaluate players' connection speed
7. Headsets can be plugged-in or swapped during gameplay

We always love seeing developers offering free updates to their games. Perhaps you'll want to check out SARPBC later tonight on the PlayStation Store.
http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/12/18/supersonic-acrobatic-rocket-powered-battle-cars-gets-update-and/

The price drop and stuff seem very nice.

Some info on the new arena:
At absolutely no cost to the player "Cosmic," the newly added arena, presents a brand-new challenge to Battle-Cars combatants by integrating quarter-pipe ramps that lead up to each of the goals. Gamers will be graced with the majestic view of deep-space as the arena orbits a beautiful yet mysterious uncharted planet. Like other SARPBC arenas, "Cosmic" places the focus on teamwork and communication, but never lets fun fall in second place.
Sounds like a good arena, so I'll have to boot this up today to download the patch.

This game is great. The whole team aspect is cool and they have designated nights (Tues & Sat at 8pmEST) for team tournaments and to play against the devs. Plus it is a blast with friends. For sure worth the $10

So I pulled the trigger and picked this up - and glad I did. Looks like a fun game. Can I get an invte to the team?

We have a TEAM?!?!? I tried finding this thread the other day but my searching skills were off I guess. Anyway, I play this every night and it's hellafun. Wouldn't mind getting some action with people I'd actually talk to over mic.

[quote name='fuss']So I pulled the trigger and picked this up - and glad I did. Looks like a fun game. Can I get an invte to the team?[/quote]

I think you have to be on SARPBC at the same time as the leader.

[quote name='bornrunnin31']We have a TEAM?!?!? I tried finding this thread the other day but my searching skills were off I guess. Anyway, I play this every night and it's hellafun. Wouldn't mind getting some action with people I'd actually talk to over mic.[/quote]

We have a team! Not sure about CAG but I went ahead and made a Team Michigan team so we can squad up. Plus you guys were the only others I know who have it. Socal you are more than welcome to become an honorary Team MI member!

[quote name='smiggity']I think you have to be on SARPBC at the same time as the leader.

We have a team! Not sure about CAG but I went ahead and made a Team Michigan team so we can squad up. Plus you guys were the only others I know who have it. Socal you are more than welcome to become an honorary Team MI member![/quote]
W00t! I do have family in Owosso and Elsie so its not that far of a strech.

GO BLUE!

I have done the minigames up to the 4 vs 1 where I get my ass kicked hardcore. Seems like two of the cars just sit there and ram me without end. And I played 2 online matches - both agains 'youcantwin77' and he slaughtered me, but I did get the hat trick trophy so I guess its ok. But for only like less than 2 hours of gameplay I think I did ok.

[quote name='fuss']W00t! I do have family in Owosso and Elsie so its not that far of a strech.

GO BLUE!

I have done the minigames up to the 4 vs 1 where I get my ass kicked hardcore. Seems like two of the cars just sit there and ram me without end. And I played 2 online matches - both agains 'youcantwin77' and he slaughtered me, but I did get the hat trick trophy so I guess its ok. But for only like less than 2 hours of gameplay I think I did ok.[/quote]

I've completed all the minigames, I think my grand total for those star is somewhere around 60. The last couple took quite a few do-overs.

Think I played "youcantwin77" before, pretty sure I got slaughtered too. I also keep running into this guy named "SoCaBoi" it through me off once or twice thinking it was you.

Also, sucks you can only do unranked friend games, need to work my way towards more trophies!

[quote name='bornrunnin31']I've completed all the minigames, I think my grand total for those star is somewhere around 60. The last couple took quite a few do-overs.

Think I played "youcantwin77" before, pretty sure I got slaughtered too. I also keep running into this guy named "SoCaBoi" it through me off once or twice thinking it was you.

Also, sucks you can only do unranked friend games, need to work my way towards more trophies![/quote]

I saw both you guys on it last night but couldnt bring myself to quit Socom. Shoot me a PSN message when you guys get on tonight so I can add both of you guys to the team. Ill try to coordinate with Stranded and Hone as well.

I think the only limit to getting on the CAG team is that you have to be on my friends list, so if you want on, feel free to send me a friend request and I can add whoever wants on the team.

Had a blast playing those few games online tonight with yall. Too bad at this point being on my team is like picking the short stick hahaha.

bread's done
Back