Official 2008 Olympics Thread (FINAL:USA most medals, China most golds)

billyrox

CAGiversary!
Feedback
54 (100%)
Anyone catching the Olympics Opening Ceremony? Watching Tv for the first time this week... so far the first 20 mins have been amazing. Supposely they spent 400 million alone on this opening ceremony.

So who do you guys think will win the most gold metals?

Which country will win the most metals?

Let the games begin!!:bouncy:

I'm watching the ceremony right now in HD. It's amazing to watch. It's also sort of intimidating, especially the "smiling" drummers.

[quote name='life.exe']Wonder how much that screen on the floor cost them...[/QUOTE]

I heard it's a Vizio. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Since the Chinese invented fireworks I expect a SPECTACULAR display at some point.

Great show so far! How do you even come up with some of those things?

man, some of those flag bearers are hot women. Also alot of female athletes are super pretty.

It was cool seeing Kobe, Wade, Lebron in the US Redeam Team.

[quote name='billyrox']man, some of those flag bearers are hot women. Also alot of female athletes are super pretty. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, they put our women to shame I thought.

I can't wait till the athletics (track and field) portion of the games, but that is next week. Hopefully nbc will have fill coverage of it since I have no cable here.

[quote name='ZerotypeX']I can't wait till the athletics (track and field) portion of the games, but that is next week. Hopefully nbc will have fill coverage of it since I have no cable here.[/quote]

nbcolympics.com has live feeds of all the games. They look pretty good really. I watched the rifle shooting, fencing, and badminton at the same time.

Well, that was fucking amazing. Great Britain, you'd better scrap whatever you have and get back to the drawing board. That's gonna be a tough act to follow.

I can't seem to find any videos of it online, if someone could post it once it becomes available it'd be much appreciated!

[quote name='mtxbass1']nbcolympics.com has live feeds of all the games. They look pretty good really. I watched the rifle shooting, fencing, and badminton at the same time.[/quote]

sweet, I guess won't miss much than and I can watch it at my own convenience. Anyone going watching swimming, basketball, or beach volleyball tomorrow?

That was just amazing. When yao ming came out with the flag... that was something else.

I'm definitely going to watch as many events as possible.

Damn, I wasn't going to be a fan of this years Olympics but that was an amazing opening ceremony.

The rings going from 2D to floating up was crazy, and the boxes were amazing. I can't imagine how many freaking man hours went into building that show. I don't see how anyone can top that unless Jesus shows up in London, I don't see it happening.

Even the guy running in the air to light the torch was cool. And it all looked fantastic in HD.

Some of that was kinda creepy. Like that girl flying the kite. Anybody who dropped acid prior to that probably woke up this morning on the floor of a jail cell.

The fireworks were cool but not the best I've seen televised. The best were after the last Democratic Convention (or maybe it was a debate, can't remember) where CNN followed Kerry and Edwards to some celebration where the fireworks were timed to live orchestrated music. It was the most massive and complex fireworks show I've ever seen.

Relative of US Olympic coach killed in Beijing

BEIJING—A knife-wielding Chinese man attacked two relatives of a coach for the U.S. Olympic men's volleyball team at a tourist site in Beijing, killing one and injuring the other on the first day of the Olympics on Saturday, team officials and state media said.

The man then committed suicide by throwing himself from the second story of the site, the 13th century Drum Tower just five miles from the main Olympics site.

The brutal attack shortly after midday was all the more shocking because of the rarity of violent crime against foreigners in tightly controlled China, which has ramped up security measures even more for the Olympics.

The stabbing came only hours after what by many accounts was the most spectacular opening ceremony in Olympic history and it has already dampened some of the enthusiasm.

"They are deeply saddened and shocked," Darryl Seibel, a spokesman for the U.S. Olympic Committee, said of the volleyball team.

The U.S. Olympic Committee said in a statement that two family members of a coach for the men's indoor volleyball team were stabbed at the Drum Tower "during an attack by what local law enforcement authorities have indicated was a lone assailant."

One of the family members was killed and the other was seriously injured, it said, without giving details.

The official Xinhua News Agency identified the attacker as Tang Yongming, 47, from the eastern city of Hangzhou. It said Tang attacked the two Americans and their Chinese tour guide, who was also injured, at 12:20 p.m. on the second level of the ancient tower, then leapt to his death immediately afterward. The second level of the tower is about 130 feet high.

Seibel said the two Americans who were attacked were not wearing anything that would have identified them as Americans or part of the U.S. team. He could not name the coach.

"They were not wearing apparel or anything that would have specifically identified them as being members of our delegation" or as Americans, he told The Associated Press.

He said it is "too early to say" whether the U.S. delegation or athletes will require additional security.

U.S. Embassy spokesman Richard Buangan said it was aware of an incident involving two Americans and was working with Chinese authorities to find out more. He said U.S. officials were in contact with relatives of the two Americans who are in Beijing.

"Out of respect for the families involved, we can't say more than that," Don Q. Washington, another embassy spokesman, told reporters.

Police blocked off streets leading to the Drum Tower immediately after the attack and cordoned off the area with yellow police tape. Security officers were examining the scene on the tower and below.

Attacks on foreigners in China are extremely rare. A Canadian model was murdered last month in Shanghai, but police said that was because she stumbled onto a burglary.

In March, a screaming, bomb-strapped hostage-taker who commandeered a bus with 10 Australians aboard in the popular tourist city of Xi'an was shot to death by a police sniper.

Shanghai and Beijing are still safer than most foreign cities of their size. Punishments for crimes against foreigners are heavier than for crimes against Chinese, and police-linked neighborhood watch groups are highly vigilant. Chinese are not allowed to own guns.

Even so, the U.S. government now warns Americans against muggings, beatings and even carjackings, especially in the nightlife and shopping districts of large cities.

Built in the 13th century, the Drum Tower is one of the few ancient structures still in Beijing, and was used to tell time in imperial China for the city, using drummers who pounded their instruments to mark the hours. It is located on an important central axis of the city, to the north of the Forbidden City, the former home of the emperor.

The White House saidPresident Bush, who is in Beijing for the opening days of the games, was informed of the incident, and his heart goes out to the families of the victims. It said the administration and the Beijing U.S. embassy have offered those families any assistance they need. Also, U.S. officials have been speaking to Chinese authorities about the incident.

International Olympic Committee spokeswoman Emmanuelle Moreau said in a statement that the committee had received reports of the attack and was in contact with Beijing Games organizers "to find out full details, and are ready to provide whatever assistance we can."

:Ddude, i'm going to waste today away.... cute japanese girls are playing americans girls on volleyball right now on NBC:D

[quote name='nikkai']Holy crap Phelps is a beast.

four minutes 7.82 seconds on the 400[/QUOTE]

Yeah. One down, 7 more to go!!

I'm not into gymnastics, but those guys were doing incredible things last night. T-90 minutes before the Redeem Team takes the court.

I'm a rabid NFL fan, but damn is it refreshing to watch true world class athletes compete for the love of what they're doing rather than a new contract.

USA Basketball today at 10:15 AM (ET). If Yao plays well, he can give team USA trouble. We only have one legit center and if he gets in foul trouble, it could be close.

USA kicked China's ass, that's for sure. Come on, Angola!

EDIT: Updated my blog with a video of the torch relay for those who missed it.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ananag112']USA Basketball today at 10:15 AM (ET). If Yao plays well, he can give team USA trouble. We only have one legit center and if he gets in foul trouble, it could be close.[/QUOTE]

That wasn't an issue today. Looks like our team might just improve on that bronze medal after all. :)

[quote name='QiG']...damn is it refreshing to watch true world class athletes compete for the love of what they're doing rather than a new contract.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

China hit the long ball quite well in the first half. This could be a sign of things to come with some of the better basketball teams.

Also, Ming looked good in this game. Looks like he has recovered well and will be ready to play 100% next season. If he can and the rest of the Rockets can stay healthy, Houston might be able to go deep in the playoffs.

This is 2004, but I lol'd:

volleyball8405.jpg

[quote name='keithp']Damn!! What an AWESOME men's swimming relay!![/QUOTE]

No kidding. Three teams smash the world record, and the US relay just barely beats out France. That's got to be one of the most impressive come-from-behind moments I've ever seen in sports.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']No kidding. Three teams smash the world record, and the US relay just barely beats out France. That's got to be one of the most impressive come-from-behind moments I've ever seen in sports.[/QUOTE]

When France was pulling away I thought there's no WAY we're getting this...but a .08 photo finish and a lunge at the last minute...wow!!...GO PHELPS!!

I for sure thought USA wasn't gonna win it when the 3rd leg got passed by the french team and was amazed by Phelps pulled out at the end.

[quote name='ZerotypeX']I for sure thought USA wasn't gonna win it when the 3rd leg got passed by the french team and was amazed by Phelps pulled out at the end.[/QUOTE]

Phelps went first, that was Lazek. Either way, it was an awesome race! I'm glad I stayed up to watch it. These games have been great so far (despite some of the controversies!)

bread's done
Back