What is your fave failed system: 3do, DC, saturn, N64, jaguar, turbografx,other?

I'd have to say Dreamcast since I still play it so much, but I have a special place in my heart for the TurboGrafx. I wish I had never sold mine.

a toss up between turbo grafix16/turbo duo and dreamcast. Both systems had so much potential.... but came to a premature death....:(

Dreamcast fo sho. All the cool jap imports, crazy non comercial games that are fun but bound to fail. If you can get your hands on it, Hello Kitty Garden Panic is a cross between battleship and minesweeper, so much fun!

I voted for the Turbo because I think it's hard to say something that achieved 30+% market share (N64) failed. It wasn't the winner in terms of sales, but it lasted ~6 years and sold tens of millions of systems. Hardly a failure.

Not trying to criticize, but I think DC gets a lot of votes because it's the only experience a lot of people have had with a "failed" system...even though DC isn't the failure that something like Jaguar or 3DO were.

Saturn have some badass games, specially RPGs and 2D fighters. DC is a distant 2nd, I thought most game are very generic except for a few like Shenmue.

well considering the DC had like 250 games in the US alone, I don't know if you could consider that a failed system.

I do wish there was most Virtual Boy games though.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']I didn't know the N64 was a failed system...I thought it held up pretty well to the PS1 in sales. Am I wrong?[/quote] I really don't care for the N64 but I agree, I think that the GC and XBOX are also have similar shares in the market compared to the N64 and I wouldn't call them failures.

As far as my favorite system... out of all those, ive had them all... I would say saturn because of its nice imports and fighters durings it time....followed by the DC as someone else said...there is still things the DC games offer that none of the other consoles have yet.

[quote name='dracula']which one is your fave? Mine is either the turbografx or maybe the sega master system or dreamcast.[/quote]

Maybe you should of just had a Sega category. and all that really means is they are never going to come out with another system again. what a shame.

[quote name='Theenternal'][quote name='Mr. Anderson']I didn't know the N64 was a failed system...I thought it held up pretty well to the PS1 in sales. Am I wrong?[/quote] I really don't care for the N64 but I agree, I think that the GC and XBOX are also have similar shares in the market compared to the N64 and I wouldn't call them failures.[/quote]

Actually, N64 was much more successful than either GameCube or Xbox. N64 basically had the same sales as those two combined. It was especially popular in the U.S. compared to Japan, too.

I would say DC only because of all the arcade games the system has. It has a ton of SNK and Capcom fighters and there are planty of good games to import still

I don't know about anyone else, but when I look at the N64, it doesn't strike me as a Japanese system as much as other Nintendo consoles or the PSX/2. Maybe because of its design, I don't know. I never really liked any N64 games regardless.

[quote name='magilacudy']I don't know about anyone else, but when I look at the N64, it doesn't strike me as a Japanese system as much as other Nintendo consoles or the PSX/2. Maybe because of its design, I don't know. I never really liked any N64 games regardless.[/quote]

I liked some but not near as many as I like for the GCN. Mario and Star Fox 64 still hold up suprisingly well though

[quote name='MorganWebbLover']Where's the love for the NES ?[/quote]

Lots of love for NES (BEST SYSTEM EVER BY FAR), but there is no way anyone could classify it as a "failed" system when it dominated the market (90+% in the U.S. and Japan).

Having owned 32X, Saturn, N64, and Dreamcast, I guess I'm a bit of a failed system connoiseur...

However, I don't really consider the N64 a failed system because it sold pretty well. That said, the Dreamcast is my favorite failed system. I remember counting down the days until 9/9/99 (launch date). It had so much going for it, and had a great library of unique and original games, yet it somehow still fell short. I guess everyone was holding out for the PS2. Oh well. On the bright side, at least everyone gets to enjoy Sega's games now, no matter your flavor of console.

bread's done
Back