Game Resellers "Must Buy" Guide

Derock

CAG Veteran
Hey guys, I've been looking for a guide like this and I figure if no one here can point me in the right direction, maybe we can make some contributions to get something going.

What I would love to see is a list, with various games that can usually be found at garage sales, craigslist, goodwill, flea markets, or whatever that a person absolutely should buy for their resale value. For instance, FF7 can often be found at garage sales for a few dollars at most, and resold for quite a bit of profit. This would make it a "must buy" game in these situations assuming the person selling it isn't charging what it's actually worth. It doesn't have to resell for >50 or anything. Even games that are often found for $1 or so like SNES, Genesis, N64 games that will reliably resell for $15-$20 would be worthwhile.

What I think would be great is to ultimately compile a list, divided up by game system, that could be printed out that gives you all the "common" (not unheard of finding) and more "rare" games that are easily resold for a descent profit. This would be helpful if you go to a garage sale and see a huge collection of games but aren't sure which ones are great deals and which ones are relatively worthless and you aren't going to buy the lot. Something to prevent missing out on great deals.

If there already is a list(s) like this, a link would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Derock']Hey guys, I've been looking for a guide like this and I figure if no one here can point me in the right direction, maybe we can make some contributions to get something going.

What I would love to see is a list, with various games that can usually be found at garage sales, craigslist, goodwill, flea markets, or whatever that a person absolutely should buy for their resale value. For instance, FF7 can often be found at garage sales for a few dollars at most, and resold for quite a bit of profit. This would make it a "must buy" game in these situations assuming the person selling it isn't charging what it's actually worth. It doesn't have to resell for >50 or anything. Even games that are often found for $1 or so like SNES, Genesis, N64 games that will reliably resell for $15-$20 would be worthwhile.

What I think would be great is to ultimately compile a list, divided up by game system, that could be printed out that gives you all the "common" (rare enough to resell, but not unheard of finding) games that are easily resold for a descent profit. This would be helpful if you go to a garage sale and see a huge collection of games but aren't sure which ones are great deals and which ones are relatively worthless and you aren't going to buy the lot. Something to prevent missing out on great deals.

If there already is a list(s) like this, a link would be greatly appreciated![/quote]

There is a video game price guide, I have seen it at a couple local video game stores but I can't remember what its called and I having looked through it I would say avoid it. Any game is able to be resold (minus the obvious sports games and such) if you find it at the right price. There is no magic solution to picking out the right games. You just need to do it enough to realize what can be resold at what prices. It's as simple as that. It's not some get rich quick scheme. If you know what you are doing you can make a profit, but that takes time. Pretty much like reselling any other item.

To get this started, here is a link I found with many games that would fit in this category. More links or simply a written list would be awesome!

http://www.amazon.com/Rare-Video-Games/lm/R2EQAXGUD7T6E7

PS1

Final Fantasy VII 7
Valkyrie Profile
Silent Hill
Tales Of Destiny
Tales Of Destiny 2
Suikoden
Suikoden 2
Legend Of Mana
Xenogears
Lunar
Lunar 2
Dragon Warrior VII 6
Breath of Fire 3

PS2

Shin Megami Tensei

SNES

Super Mario RPG
Lufia 1
Lufia 2
Chrono Trigger

Saturn

Dragon Force
Shining Force 3
Shining The Holy Ark
Panzar Dragoon Saga

These are just a few I found in a couple minutes.

[quote name='schuerm26']There is a video game price guide, I have seen it at a couple local video game stores but I can't remember what its called and I having looked through it I would say avoid it. Any game is able to be resold (minus the obvious sports games and such) if you find it at the right price. There is no magic solution to picking out the right games. You just need to do it enough to realize what can be resold at what prices. It's as simple as that. It's not some get rich quick scheme. If you know what you are doing you can make a profit, but that takes time. Pretty much like reselling any other item.[/quote]

I've bought and resold things for a little while now so I have a basic idea of most major deals. But I can still miss out on things when I see a big bundle of games and don't know which ones may be worth a lot and which ones aren't even worth the asking price. Obviously just about anything at garage sale prices can be resold for a little bit of a profit, but this is about not missing out on great deals. A newcomer may not know that Suikoden II (or insert less obviously valuable game but still profitable game here) can be worth a lot so they don't bother buying it if they see it somewhere cheap. Then they will kick themselves after realizing its value. I guess I just think having this convience would be nice, but if you don't want to participate that's your call.

To me I've learned a lot just reading through pages and pages of threads as far as what is worthwhile as well as just seeing how much stuff goes for on ebay and amazon. To me it would be great for people to take all they've learned and post it in terms of what games should definately be bought. Let's say you only had 5 dollars and could only pick up a handful of games at a garage sale, it would be nice to know what to get and what to avoid.

[quote name='Derock']To get this started, here is a link I found with many games that would fit in this category. More links or simply a written list would be awesome!

http://www.amazon.com/Rare-Video-Games/lm/R2EQAXGUD7T6E7

PS1

Final Fantasy VII 7
Valkyrie Profile
Silent Hill
Tales Of Destiny
Tales Of Destiny 2
Suikoden
Suikoden 2
Legend Of Mana
Xenogears
Lunar
Lunar 2
Dragon Warrior VII 6
Breath of Fire 3

PS2

Shin Megami Tensei

SNES

Super Mario RPG
Lufia 1
Lufia 2
Chrono Trigger

Saturn

Dragon Force
Shining Force 3
Shining The Holy Ark
Panzar Dragoon Saga

These are just a few I found in a couple minutes.[/quote]

No s--t?

Come on. Are you serious? These in all likelihood aren't the games you are going to find at a garage sale. If you want to be a "reseller" you need to research the COMMON to somewhat Uncommon games and the prices they sell for.

It ain't to hard to walk up to a garage sale, see a Valkyrie Profile and decide to purchase it since they won't be charging 100+ for it. But good luck finding any of those at garage sales.

As for your 5 dollar thing. THere are about a zillion games you could pick up at that price and make a profit. Your mission for a list is admirable but doomed for failure.

[quote name='schuerm26']No s--t?

Come on. Are you serious? These in all likelihood aren't the games you are going to find at a garage sale. If you want to be a "reseller" you need to research the COMMON to somewhat Uncommon games and the prices they sell for.

It ain't to hard to walk up to a garage sale, see a Valkyrie Profile and decide to purchase it since they won't be charging 100+ for it. But good luck finding any of those at garage sales.

As for your 5 dollar thing. THere are about a zillion games you could pick up at that price and make a profit. Your mission for a list is admirable but doomed for failure.[/quote]

I'm not sure where your pessimism comes from. Yes, most of these games I knew were valuable. BUT NOT EVERYONE KNOWS. Let's help people out There are games that I may not know about.

I just picked up FF7 today at a garage sale for next then nothing so I don't know why you think it would be that hard to find this stuff. It doesn't have to be the ultra rare stuff either.

I have done a bit of research and I've done resale. I'm sure however there are people with a lot more experience then myself. Besides, what happens when a researcher does a lot of research? They compile and summarize their findings so other people don't have to go through all the same research to figure out the same things. Why not make it easier for others so they don't have to go through all the same reserach. As someone who's taught others to play guitar, I know that it's worthwhile for them to learn from my years of experience. I don't just say "figure it all out for yourself".

The fact that there are a zillion games I can pick up and make a profit from is the very reason I'm starting this thread. Hence "must buy" referring to which ones to pick up over the other ones.

I specifically mentioned that I wanted common to somewhat rare games that you are still likely to find. If others have done the research, why not get their contributions and share information? The only reason I can think for being so adament against this is fear of competition from other buyers and knowledge on the part of sellers if they understand what is valuable. Or jealousy that others figure out easily what took quite a bit of research to learn.

If it fails, big deal. It's just a forum thread.

[quote name='Derock']I'm not sure where your pessimism comes from. Yes, most of these games I knew were valuable. BUT NOT EVERYONE KNOWS. Let's help people out There are games that I may not know about.

I just picked up FF7 today at a garage sale for next then nothing so I don't know why you think it would be that hard to find this stuff. It doesn't have to be the ultra rare stuff either.

I have done a bit of research and I've done resale. I'm sure however there are people with a lot more experience then myself. Besides, what happens when a researcher does a lot of research? They compile and summarize their findings so other people don't have to go through all the same research to figure out the same things. Why not make it easier for others so they don't have to go through all the same reserach. As someone who's taught others to play guitar, I know that it's worthwhile for them to learn from my years of experience. I don't just say "figure it all out for yourself".

The fact that there are a zillion games I can pick up and make a profit from is the very reason I'm starting this thread. Hence "must buy" referring to which ones to pick up over the other ones.

I specifically mentioned that I wanted common to somewhat rare games that you are still likely to find. If others have done the research, why not get their contributions and share information? The only reason I can think for being so adament against this is fear of competition from other buyers and knowledge on the part of sellers if they understand what is valuable. Or jealousy that others figure out easily what took quite a bit of research to learn.

If it fails, big deal. It's just a forum thread.[/quote]

i wish i could find FFVII at a garage sale..

[quote name='ddrpower']FFVII?

I'm going to take it that you guys mean the original, not the greatest hits version?[/quote]

I got the greatest hits, which is worth it considering it sells for 50 or so. It would be worth it even if it sold for a lot less considering he only had it marked for 5 and I got it as part of a bundle.

[quote name='schuerm26']There is a video game price guide, I have seen it at a couple local video game stores but I can't remember what its called and I having looked through it I would say avoid it. Any game is able to be resold (minus the obvious sports games and such) if you find it at the right price. There is no magic solution to picking out the right games. You just need to do it enough to realize what can be resold at what prices. It's as simple as that. It's not some get rich quick scheme. If you know what you are doing you can make a profit, but that takes time. Pretty much like reselling any other item.[/QUOTE]

So true... if you happen to try to look for the hidden gems you seek, you will rarely find them at a price you can take advantage of. I have a copy of that price guide from a year back somewhere, even it isnt perfect as frequent price drops etc affect these things on a daily basis sometimes. As far as finding out how much something resells for, anyone with half a brain can look up completed ebay auctions...

How about a thread where you don't try to fuck other gamers over by price gouging them on eBay? How about a thread where you do your own dirty work instead of milking the passion/hobby of other people? Seriously, I'm all for people scoring great deals, but this is just some cynical Fat Wallet/Slick Deals lurker shit.

[quote name='olde_english']How about a thread where you don't try to fuck other gamers over by price gouging them on eBay? How about a thread where you do your own dirty work instead of milking the passion/hobby of other people? Seriously, I'm all for people scoring great deals, but this is just some cynical Fat Wallet/Slick Deals lurker shit.[/quote]

Price gouging on ebay? Other than "buy it nows", its an auction site. The bidders determine the price. I'm a gamer first and foremost and most of the great deals I get are for my own personal gaming enjoyment. Selling a game for 50 or so dollars when it only cost a few dollars is fairly equivalent to just about any retail store.

I'm surprised for a site all about getting great deals there is such hostility here. I thought this could be a friendly sharing of information. I do a service by going to a garage sale and buying games, then making them available nationally to anyone who wants to sit on their computer and quickly order a game of their choice from their computer and have it shipped to their door. What determines my prices are how much people buy them for, then I sell them for that. Oftentimes it's only 5 - 10 dollars.

If you have a problem with people buying low and selling higher then you have a problem with virtually every business ever established. This whole forum section is dedicated to people getting great deals on valuable game related items. I'm just trying to determine what items are the best deals for the money spent if interested in making them available online. The people selling at garage sales aren't going through the effort to make them available to everyone online, so I provide that service and want to get a profit. Here's the key point, sellers or resellers DON'T FORCE anyone to buy their goods.

As far as doing my own "dirty work", I have done a bit, but I figured maybe there are some good games out there that have gone under the radar. A forum is about sharing information. What would we do if researchers never shared their findings? Information exchange is what this site is all about. I joined this forum to share some great deals I got, and I figured I could get some help to maximize any good deals in the future.

I don't know what has got everyone's panties up in a bunch around here. If you don't want to contribute anything positive, why even say anything at all?

[quote name='zman73']So true... if you happen to try to look for the hidden gems you seek, you will rarely find them at a price you can take advantage of. I have a copy of that price guide from a year back somewhere, even it isnt perfect as frequent price drops etc affect these things on a daily basis sometimes. As far as finding out how much something resells for, anyone with half a brain can look up completed ebay auctions...[/quote]

I can see where this is going. It's not beyond my intelligence to find out how much games sell for on ebay as I have done this quite a few times.

What I wish for, but apparently won't see happen, is simple. A lot of people learn stuff on their own, then they share that information, and other people learn stuff.

So a lot of people here know off the top of their heads quite a few games that absolutely should be bought (whether for personal use like its a great game or because it will turn a profit) if seen at something like a yard sale for instance, they share that information, and others may learn something. This can be and is often done on forums which are places to exchange information.

I do research before I sell anything as I almost always offer the LOWEST or cloest to lowest prices relative to others. So I know how much a number of things sell for.

Just for the record, I don't want to rip people off as few things anger me more than outrageous prices, but I don't mind making a little money for providing a service as I'm a college student in debt from loans. I only sell things for how much they traditionally sell for. Any good businessman will try to buy things that will sell for more than purchased. It's just common sense.

I guess no one wants to share anything, so I will work on compiling my own list. I figured I'd have to do that anyways, but I had this idea that sometimes other people can be helpful.

[quote name='Derock']
I don't know what has got everyone's panties up in a bunch around here. If you don't want to contribute anything positive, why even say anything at all?[/quote]

Because *you're* not contributing anything positive - the intention of this site as I understand it is to help gamers stretch their dollars a little further and also for the awesome community; this is hardly your intention. You're here because you're a reseller. You're just in it for the money and are seeking to capitalize from other people's experiences, which is fucked up. It is absolutely no coincidence that your only contributions have been here and in the Garage Sale thread.

Also, most sellers/resellers don't ask me for advice on how to fuck me and other people like me over before they actually do it, hence I don't get pissy at Wal-Mart and Target.

On a more positive note, I'm sure you'll make an excellent realtor/ambulance chaser/spin doctor and I'm sure I'm not too premature in congratulating you on what will surely prove to be a lucrative career for you.

There are other older threads about rare games and their values on this site. Use the search feature and find them.

But I can say this I've found 2 copies of FFVII at Garage Sales for less then $3 a piece.

But as the other said you need to know the price of the common games and uncommon games.

[quote name='olde_english']Because *you're* not contributing anything positive - the intention of this site as I understand it is to help gamers stretch their dollars a little further and also for the awesome community; this is hardly your intention. You're here because you're a reseller. You're just in it for the money and are seeking to capitalize from other people's experiences, which is fucked up. It is absolutely no coincidence that your only contributions have been here and in the Garage Sale thread.

Also, most sellers/resellers don't ask me for advice on how to fuck me and other people like me over before they actually do it, hence I don't get pissy at Wal-Mart and Target.

On a more positive note, I'm sure you'll make an excellent realtor/ambulance chaser/spin doctor and I'm sure I'm not too premature in congratulating you on what will surely prove to be a lucrative career for you.[/quote]

Well besides the somewhat negative attitude, I generally do appreciate your explanation for your feelings. I can completely understand where you are coming from.

I am a musician by trade, currently a student, and spend a lot more time PLAYING games than selling them. I'm hardly a person interested in ripping people off and I'm sure I feel the same way you do when I see outrageous prices. I came to this site not as a reseller, but as a gamer interested in getting great deals for myself. The money I make from flipping unwanted games I find can go towards more games for myself. (actually gas, food, and bills)

I started going to garage sales with the idea of getting great stuff for myself, and to sell off the extra stuff I don't want. Most of the stuff I've bought I've kept to use myself. Yet, when realizing that I could make some money from the other stuff, it just clicked that hey... "why not?" I can't think of a good reason to not buy a game that I know I can sell for more money than I bought it for. That doesn't apply to games, it applies to anything. I barely make up for gas spent going to the sales by reselling so my main motivation is buying what I can get for myself.

The reason for using this site is that oftentimes in the garage sale thread it is mentioned about flipping something bought or the high value of an item for selling. I figured it was perfectly acceptable here to flip deals for profit, it seems to be a common thing mentioned in threads I've read.

If flipping things for profit is generally not cool on CAG, then I sincerely apologize for my mistake and I won't mention it anymore. I don't want to offend the fellow CAG'ers here. I appreciate the forums and the members. I thought what I was asking was totally normal. I'll stick to the garage sale thread from now on if need be.

All that being said, i think we can keep this more civil. I don't want to, nor do I believe I do eff people over. I just figured it's all business as usual when selling for equal to how much other people are selling for.

[quote name='olde_english']Because *you're* not contributing anything positive - the intention of this site as I understand it is to help gamers stretch their dollars a little further and also for the awesome community; this is hardly your intention. You're here because you're a reseller. You're just in it for the money and are seeking to capitalize from other people's experiences, which is fucked up. It is absolutely no coincidence that your only contributions have been here and in the Garage Sale thread.

On a more positive note, I'm sure you'll make an excellent realtor/ambulance chaser/spin doctor and I'm sure I'm not too premature in congratulating you on what will surely prove to be a lucrative career for you.[/quote]

Part of being a Cag is getting games cheap. One of the ways many on here do it is through flipping games and reselling. There is nothing wrong with seeking this info here. Maybe if he is a good Cag he'll pass some deals on occasionally. I've traded and sold some stuff on here and try to give fair deals. I recently picked up gamecube component cables and resold for $30-$35 shipped. These go for over $50 on ebay. Did I make a profit yes. Did I pass some savings on yes. I had some trying to lowball just because they knew I paid $5 for them. In fact there is always going to be someone pissy about people flipping and reselling. Funny thing is you should see 2 true tightasses try and trade games on here. Both think they are getting screwed and a trade never happens. For the most part the games he's looking to resell aren't stuff you would find at a retail store anyways.I'd say take the attitude over to the blockbuster finds and target clearance threads.
I know some of the resell games but you pretty much can't go wrong with any older rpg's.

[quote name='rmb']Part of being a Cag is getting games cheap. One of the ways many on here do it is through flipping games and reselling. There is nothing wrong with seeking this info here. Maybe if he is a good Cag he'll pass some deals on occasionally. I've traded and sold some stuff on here and try to give fair deals. I recently picked up gamecube component cables and resold for $30-$35 shipped. These go for over $50 on ebay. Did I make a profit yes. Did I pass some savings on yes. I had some trying to lowball just because they knew I paid $5 for them. In fact there is always going to be someone pissy about people flipping and reselling. Funny thing is you should see 2 true tightasses try and trade games on here. Both think they are getting screwed and a trade never happens. For the most part the games he's looking to resell aren't stuff you would find at a retail store anyways.I'd say take the attitude over to the blockbuster finds and target clearance threads.
I know some of the resell games but you pretty much can't go wrong with any older rpg's.[/quote]

This is pretty much what I figured. I don't know how I can screw people over on an auction site if the buyers set the price. Whenever I sell stuff on amazon or as a buy it now on ebay, I almost always try to sell for the lowest price relative to others regardless of whether it will turn a profit and be as accurate in my description as possible. I want people to be happy when they buy from me. I've spent 30 bucks to get a SNES off ebay before I discovered garage sales. Even now that I know the seller may have only paid a few dollars, it was worth it at the time to sit at my computer, go buy an SNES in an instant, and have it shipped to me without the trouble of finding one myself. I ultimately paid him for that convenience.

I can see how this upsets people, but it just seems reasonable to legitamately buy low and sell high whenever possible, especially when you're broke.

When I started Garagesaling i did my own research, IT took me about 3 hours on Ebay to find the average value of the highest sellers, Why would we tell you what to find? for me garage saling is about the thrill of the hunt not what to buy. I can't stand resellers any more, there were 3 people like me in my town of 8,000 that looked for games at sales. now a major reseller came into town and gos through on Thursdays/Fridays and buys out everthing, so now when i hear reseller I get upset.

[quote name='Kuros']Ugh, I'm not doing your work for you. Do your own research.[/quote]

I have done my own research. It's about sharing information. It's what researchers, teachers, and numerous other people do all the time so others don't have to go through all the same work they did. I thought this would be something that helped anyone interested in this out. It was never meant to be selfish on my part for the information. (or selfish for the sake of ripping people off as a seller because I actually like giving people good deals)

[quote name='Sinnbox']When I started Garagesaling i did my own research, IT took me about 3 hours on Ebay to find the average value of the highest sellers, Why would we tell you what to find? for me garge saling is about the thrill of the hunt not what to buy. I can't stand resellers any more, there were 3 people like me in my town of 8,000 that looked for games at sales now a major reseller came into town and gos through on Thursdays/Fridays and buys out everthing, so now when i hear reseller I get upset.[/quote]

I can only refer you to my previous post. I will say it again, IT'S NOT ABOUT ME! I can and have done my own research. Teachers share information they've learned. They don't just hand people books and say figure it out yourself. Researchers may gather information and put it together in a conscise source with references. They don't just give people the references and say figure it out yourselves. I know how to do my own research, but I figured people could actually share information for the betterment of all those interested in this business. That's all I was asking for with this thread. A one stop spot for this sort of valuable information for all. It would help you out as a reseller if you discovered some info you didn't know.

That being said, I understand not liking resellers. I don't like paying a lot myself and I don't like competition (other than the fun kind) any more than the next guy. I enjoy the thrill of getting great deals at sales (for my own enjoyment) and if I had it my way, I wouldn't have to worry about money at all. I also understand the value of being the only one with the information so it gives you an edge. Therefore, this thread looks like it will die for these reasons and when I started it, I figured it probably would anyways.

I agree that it is good to share info on how to get great finds, I always share when i find a site/store that has items for less than retail, but when it comes to reselling, I think that people should do their own research, this site is to help people find good deals not to say if you find X game it is worth alot of money. There have been several similar threads and they always die. I know most of us that are out there looking for rare games have accidentaly told the wrong person "Hey this is worth X on E-Bay", Personaly I lost a ton deals on rare stuff because someone told the local pawnshop owner that certain games are woth alot, now he holds all them back and charges E-bay prices(and no one around here pays that much for old games)

I dont want to sound like an idiot so i will give a bit of advice.

To be a good reseller you ahve to watch the market like a hawk, for most games its not about finding a super rare, its about finding what people want at the moment, such as when a new movie comes out people will pay alot for games based on the series. and when a new game comes out people will buy the old games for nogisatlia. Last winter M$ announced that they had to can the remake of goldeneye, and so i threw a couple of my extra copies of Goldeneye64 on ebay and they sold for $20 apiece, a week later I saw a copy at a fleamarket for $2 so i bought it and barely got my money back. It's all about timing. I mainly only resell my duplicates, and I welcome competition at garage sales and flea markets, but I hate it whne lurkers form this board hear about a good area and take advantage if they live near. I get just as much satisfaction from hearing that a local guy found a copy of X game as much as i would if i found it.

Go to ebay, type in "Rare Ps1" (or NES, or SNES, or whatever) hit search. Change search parameters to completed listings, sort by highest priced first. Write down the titles that pop up and carry that list on your travels.

Also, if you're truly serious about the reselling thing, believe me, you'll want to do your own research. Don't rely on some list from some site that may be two years out of date.

[quote name='Sinnbox']When I started Garagesaling i did my own research, IT took me about 3 hours on Ebay to find the average value of the highest sellers, Why would we tell you what to find? for me garage saling is about the thrill of the hunt not what to buy. I can't stand resellers any more, there were 3 people like me in my town of 8,000 that looked for games at sales. now a major reseller came into town and gos through on Thursdays/Fridays and buys out everthing, so now when i hear reseller I get upset.[/QUOTE]

This is what I don't understand, if you have competition, then just get out earlier. All it takes is a few weeks to learn how to be ahead of the game. Hell, I get out at 6:30 on yard sale days, sleeping in isn't going to get you good deals...that's what Sunday is for.

EDIT: And yeah, I don't mean to be hostile, but you should do your own research. Also I agree with Sinnbox, you really have to be up on the market, my best friend lives about 600 miles from me and between the both of us we are always one step ahead. For instance, we bought loads of copies of Pikmin 1 & 2 at Gamestop before they raised the price when the market spiked, if we were only a couple days behind we'd have missed that window. It's hard to keep up, but you can do it.

[quote name='Cmosfm']This is what I don't understand, if you have competition, then just get out earlier. All it takes is a few weeks to learn how to be ahead of the game. Hell, I get out at 6:30 on yard sale days, sleeping in isn't going to get you good deals...that's what Sunday is for.

[/quote]

Actualy Sunday if fleamarket day here, I get up at 6:30 and go before church.

The new buyer in my market goes on thursdays & Fridays when I'm at work, so it's not a matter of getting up before him. There have been alot of Tuesday-Saturday sales here lately and I have tusday off so i hit those once in a while.

All great advice. I appreciate it guys.

As far as my own research, I will continue to do some as this looks like the only way I'm getting anywhere. In my reseach I've found almost a "standard" of games that are not unheard of finding, but still sell for a lot. Most tend to be role playing games. I figured maybe it would be cool to make a list of these sorts of games. I'll get a list, but it looks like it will be my own creation.

[quote name='Derock']All great advice. I appreciate it guys.

As far as my own research, I will continue to do some as this looks like the only way I'm getting anywhere. In my reseach I've found almost a "standard" of games that are not unheard of finding, but still sell for a lot. Most tend to be role playing games. I figured maybe it would be cool to make a list of these sorts of games. I'll get a list, but it looks like it will be my own creation.[/quote]

After a while you won't even need a list, it will all be in your head. The best way to enhance your game buying skills is to just buy it if you think it might be something uncommon. After a while you'll see so many games that you'll just know which ones to buy and which ones to skip.

[quote name='briansraregames']After a while you won't even need a list, it will all be in your head. The best way to enhance your game buying skills is to just buy it if you think it might be something uncommon. After a while you'll see so many games that you'll just know which ones to buy and which ones to skip.[/quote]

So far that's kind of been my strategy. As a general rule it's buy any role playing games, avoid any older sports games. It's with the random games that it gets a little more complicated.

[quote name='omg itz adam']Here is a helpful link I often use

www.videogamepricecharts.com[/quote]jj's site is amazing. very accurate at times. you never have to get a book or share info's with each other :)

but a few things you should try to remember why games go rare/valuable/sought after/in demand. (no particular order)

1. gameplay
2. sequel announcements
3. out of production/print
4. amount of units sold are less than expected
5. and lately, created by specific publishers and/or developers that had alot of following (ie. atlus, nis america, etc.)

im sure some would agree to this, and some wont. but everyone has their own opinion.

omfg madden 09 the rarezzzzz buy up every copy you can today they will be worth baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaank this time next year omg i just saw 50 at BB bought all of them hahahahaha all on ebay all on ebay

[quote name='Derock']I have done my own research. It's about sharing information. It's what researchers, teachers, and numerous other people do all the time so others don't have to go through all the same work they did.[/quote]

You're talking about academics. Academics business.

Academics = pursuit of knowledge presumably for a greater social good
Business = Make as $ as you can and snuff out your competition

Do you really think Sprint and AT&T say "Hey, let's share our research with each other!" ?

[quote name='cranguy']You're talking about academics. Academics business.

Academics = pursuit of knowledge presumably for a greater social good
Business = Make as $ as you can and snuff out your competition

Do you really think Sprint and AT&T say "Hey, let's share our research with each other!" ?[/quote]

I understand this. That is why I said the reason I can see people not wanting to share information is that they don't want others to have it as it would take their own edge.

I was simply defending that I was capable of doing and have done my own research, but it isn't a crazy notion to help others. Given that this information is out there for anyone to read on the internet as is, I figured it would be easier to compile it in one location very much like the previous website listed. This isn't top secret information, it would be putting together in one place what is scattered out there and easily obtainable.

That being said, this isn't really going to happen and the website link posted looks like a good enough source anyways.

[quote name='Derock']I understand this. That is why I said the reason I can see people not wanting to share information is that they don't want others to have it as it would take their own edge.

I was simply defending that I was capable of doing and have done my own research, but it isn't a crazy notion to help others. Given that this information is out there for anyone to read on the internet as is, I figured it would be easier to compile it in one location very much like the previous website listed. This isn't top secret information, it would be putting together in one place what is scattered out there and easily obtainable.

That being said, this isn't really going to happen and the website link posted looks like a good enough source anyways.[/quote]

I personally wouldnt have a problem with telling my secrets to someone in another town/state, but there are tomay lurkers on this board who have totaly raped my Clearance racks, Garage Sales, ect... as soon as i made a comment about them. I was the only person garage sailing for games in my town last year and as soon as i mentioned that my town always produced the major resellers form Fort Wayne headed down my way. now I'm lucky to find a copy of Madden 2001.

[quote name='Sinnbox']I personally wouldnt have a problem with telling my secrets to someone in another town/state, but there are tomay lurkers on this board who have totaly raped my Clearance racks, Garage Sales, ect... as soon as i made a comment about them. I was the only person garage sailing for games in my town last year and as soon as i mentioned that my town always produced the major resellers form Fort Wayne headed down my way. now I'm lucky to find a copy of Madden 2001.[/quote]

Yeah, that's got to be disappointing. I guess I figured if I was chatting with some friends, I'd have no problem sharing anything I know, and saw this site as a collection of guys who will help each other out in a similar fashion. The risk with the internet however is that it's there for everyone to see. So I can understand the attitude of not wanting to share personally beneficial information at risk of losing out yourself. Forcing people to do their own research means only the most serious people will get involved.

That being said, if others hadn't taken the time to post their successes from garage sales and the deals they've gotten, I never would have started myself. So passing on good info creates the risk of greater competition. It creates this akward situation where you're thankful others have shared information and want to return the favor, but at the same time you don't want so much competition you're no longer able to get any good deals yourself.

Just go to www.videogamepricecharts.com, go through each of the system pages you are interested in, and sort by highest price.

Then put together a list of the most expensive games, Stadium Games, Flintstones Surprise at Dino Peak etc. for the NES; Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Ogre Battle etc. for the SNES; Suikoden 2, FF7, etc. for the PS1 and on...

Goddammit, this is not something you should be soliciting info for. If you really are a gamer and looking to make a few bucks to pay for your new ps3 or get some trade bait then that's fine, I'm with you. But asking other people what the most valuable games are clearly shows you have no enthusiasm for this hobby, and you are just out to make a buck. You might as well go work for gamestop.

People like you are the reason that other CAG's can't get in on the deals posted on this board like CC clearance games and penny guides. You just go buy them all and sell them on ebay, leaving no good deals for us.

So why don't you just take a step back, and LITERALLY fuck YOUR OWN FACE! -les grossman

[quote name='mj1984']Goddammit, this is not something you should be soliciting info for. If you really are a gamer and looking to make a few bucks to pay for your new ps3 or get some trade bait then that's fine, I'm with you. But asking other people what the most valuable games are clearly shows you have no enthusiasm for this hobby, and you are just out to make a buck. You might as well go work for gamestop.

People like you are the reason that other CAG's can't get in on the deals posted on this board like CC clearance games and penny guides. You just go buy them all and sell them on ebay, leaving no good deals for us.

So why don't you just take a step back, and LITERALLY fuck YOUR OWN FACE! -les grossman[/quote]

I'm not going to argue with you. I'm getting tired of defending myself against unwarranted "attacks" on my intentions. I have calmly and reasonably addressed all of these concerns and I can appreciate where you are coming from.

To sum up what has already been said:

I *have* done my own research and I made this thread for everyone's benefit.

I am a gamer more so than any sort of businessman, and a broke student who would be out of his mind to not take advantage of making some extra cash from the garage sales I go to and shop at REGARDLESS of whether I'm going to resell anything I get there or not.

I always try to sell for the lowest (or close to) prices and only sell what I don't want myself which may often be the minority of what I buy.

I'm not hardcore enough to go to every single garage sale and buy up every game out there, so anyone living in my area can still get their hands on good deals themself. The games I do buy are sold for prices that people think is fair. Otherwise, they wouldn't bother buying them.

Last, as much as I love getting a good deal myself, I can recognize no one owes me a good deal. I'm not saying this refers to you or anyone here, but in general I don't get why everyone thinks they are special and sellers must give them a great deal or else the sellers are evil. It's video games, they are purely luxury items and are not in any way vital to life. That being said, being a CAG myself I don't charge more than I would appreciate being charged for or for more than I think is fair.

I feel like a broken record having to say all this stuff. I'm not an evil guy trying to rip anyone off!

Sorry to see that you're getting trolled so hard, Derock. This could have been a great thread. I'm in the same position as you: a student who goes yardsaling to pick up rare/vintage stuff for his collection and flips his duplicates to cover this expensive hobby (or to trade on here/Goozex/GameTZ). Its nice to be able to cover costs (especially with $4 a gallon for gas), if not make a couple of extra bucks on the side, with the economy in the shape its in and all.

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']Sorry to see that you're getting trolled so hard, Derock. This could have been a great thread. I'm in the same position as you: a student who goes yardsaling to pick up rare/vintage stuff for his collection and flips his duplicates to cover this expensive hobby (or to trade on here/Goozex/GameTZ). Its nice to be able to cover costs (especially with $4 a gallon for gas), if not make a couple of extra bucks on the side, with the economy in the shape its in and all.[/quote]

Yeah, that sounds very similar to me. I have to limit my sales and hope I can at least make my gas money back from a good deal here and there.

i dont know what the big deal is.

i'm about to start garage saling (tomorrow) to hopefully find some of the rare ps1 games that i cant afford on ebay.

i wouldnt mind knowing what other games people are looking for just in case i happen to see some while i'm out. im strictly a Playstation girl, so i wouldnt have any idea what xbox things are rare.

it's not like the guy is trying to rip anyone off.

bread's done
Back