Alternative Xbox 360 Wireless Network Adapter?

fatez

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
Are there any alternative 360 wifi usb adapters that are suggested? I am looking for a cheaper alternative. The official one is about 85-100 bucks. I am getting a 360 soon and i'd like to know what are some essentials for the console. thanks :)

check on craigslist I got mines from there 40 bucks. Now u just have to ask yourself if you can sleep at night knowing it may or may not have been five finger discounted or fell off a truck lol I live near a college most of them need rent money so they sell stuff cheap around here lol

If you have a laptop connected to Wi-Fi, you could use it as a wireless bridge. There are instructions here.

Bah beaten by a long time. I just set up my nephew's 360 to do just that with his Wi-Fi connected PC. Works fantastic and I haven't noticed any lag difference.

[quote name='Jagged Toaster']If you have a laptop connected to Wi-Fi, you could use it as a wireless bridge. There are instructions here.[/quote]

That is what I am doing right now, when I moved my 360 up to my room and it works perfect.

[quote name='fatez']would any wireless usb network adapter work? like a generic one that maybe goes for 25-35 dollars?[/quote]

I don't think so. Although you could get a router for about the same price, flash it with dd-wrt and then use it as a wireless gateway. Kinda tricky, definitely doable though.

[quote name='fatez']would any wireless usb network adapter work? like a generic one that maybe goes for 25-35 dollars?[/quote]Nope.

The only one that works via USB connection is the MS adapter. Anything else has to be bridged through the Ethernet port.

[quote name='tokitoki50']I don't think so. Although you could get a router for about the same price, flash it with dd-wrt and then use it as a wireless gateway. Kinda tricky, definitely doable though.[/quote]I do this already to bridge my 360, PS3, Wii (via USB Ethernet adapter) and OG Xbox online.

If you want more secure security for wireless than WEP, I'd advise against it, as it's more than a little tricky to get it to work with WPA or WPA2. If you're OK with WEP, then you won't have any issues with doing it.

I've got a D-Link adapter that cost me $35 at Fry's. I'm almost positive the model number is DGL-3420, but it's now running $100+. I picked it up on sale along with a 6-inch ethernet cable, and it works just fine.

The old Xbox Wireless adaptor works well, but you can only do WEP. I tried a D-Link gaming adapter on it kept getting NAT issues, so that's now working with my VOD on DirecTV HD-DVR.

Kind of crappy that you can get WiFI built in the $250 Wii, but they can't manage on a $350 console, maybe some day they'll come out with a version with WiFi included.

[quote name='Aku']Bah beaten by a long time. I just set up my nephew's 360 to do just that with his Wi-Fi connected PC. Works fantastic and I haven't noticed any lag difference.[/quote]

When I first bought a 360, I used that method. It experienced enough issues that I bought a wireless network adapter a bit after.

Does it make a noticeable difference? I also am running with a bridge, and it never seems like I can get a "Great" connection, just "Good," (For ex, on COD4, I basically am always at 3 green bars, rarely ever 5) even though I am on a 6MB connection.

I looked at all the options and tried a few soon after getting my 360. I suggest keeping an eye on craigslist or ebay and scoring the official one for a little cheaper than retail. That's what I did. I recommend it. The official one is just so simple and reliable. You don't want to dick around with your internet connection, KWIM?

[quote name='moojuice']Does it make a noticeable difference? I also am running with a bridge, and it never seems like I can get a "Great" connection, just "Good," (For ex, on COD4, I basically am always at 3 green bars, rarely ever 5) even though I am on a 6MB connection.[/quote]

For me and my Cox connection, it made a huge difference. It was a huge improvement.

[quote name='tokitoki50']Laptop bridge ftw. That's what I use when I stay at my parents in the summer.[/QUOTE]
Any windows laptop does the trick.

bread's done
Back