gcorlett

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (100%)
From Valve:

---------------------------------
Team Fortress 2 Heavy Update Unveiling Now

August 12, 2008, 1:00 pm - Valve - Press Release

Valve, creators of award-winning games and leading technologies, today announced the unveiling of details for the largest update ever produced for Team Fortress 2, the multiplayer action game that recently topped PC Gamer UK's "Top 100" list.

Beginning today gamers may find details of "The Heavy" Update being disclosed via http://steamgames.com/tf2/heavy/. The site will reveal new information and screenshots each day, as well as a special installment to the "Meet the Team" series of video shorts.

"The Heavy" update is the largest update to Team Fortress 2 since it was first released as part of The Orange Box last October. In addition to offering new unlockable weapons, achievements, "The Heavy" update also includes a brand new gameplay mode and a number of new maps.
The rollout culminates next Tuesday, August 19 when the update will be made available to all owners of Team Fortress 2.

To give all gamers a chance to check out the new gameplay introduced in "The Heavy" update, Valve will be running a Team Fortress 2 Free Weekend via Steam, a leading online platform for the delivery and management of PC games. The Free Weekend is open to gamers the world over and scheduled to begin Friday, August 22 at 11 am PDT.
---------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='VioletArrows']Last time was miserable, never again.[/quote]

Why was it miserable?
Also, I've never used Steam - is the 'free weekend' just a download of a time-limited trial version?

[quote name='Multicron']Why was it miserable?
Also, I've never used Steam - is the 'free weekend' just a download of a time-limited trial version?[/quote]

The problem with these "free weekends" is that for a few weeks immediately following an achievement patch, every server becomes bogged down with people looking to do nothing besides farm for their achievements. The game itself is the full version - everything's available. It's just finding a good server with people actually playing the game can be somewhat of a hardship.

Then take advantage of things and be the counter-class.

Heavies? Dear GOD, Spy and Sniper heaven.

[quote name='Nohbdy']Then take advantage of things and be the counter-class.

Heavies? Dear GOD, Spy and Sniper heaven.[/quote]

EXACTLY! :applause:

I'll take part in the free weekend just to make sure if the game will run on my laptop. I've wanted to buy it, but not if it doesnt run.

[quote name='Multicron']Why was it miserable?
Also, I've never used Steam - is the 'free weekend' just a download of a time-limited trial version?[/QUOTE]

To answer your second question, - yes, that's exactly it. You can preload the software starting next week (it's several GB), and then starting around noon on friday, you can play without buying. On sunday, they turn off the "free" part. Don't wait until Friday to start pre-loading, as it takes a long time to download.

It's a great way to try out the game before buying it, or to see how well it runs on your specs.

You would need a Steam account, but that's no hurdle for CAG PC gamers, as Steam offers a very good weekend sale deal each weekend. I really like Steam, I get good games for $5 or $10 all the time.

Valve will release a link for pre-loading soon, probably next week. Just check on www.steampowered.com and also the link it the press-release I posted at the start of this thread.

If you've never played before, disregard the whining about people playing just for achievements. You will have a grand time if it's all new to you!

The post about Circuit City game sales for next week here has The Orange Box for $25 next week, if that's any more attractive than $19 for TF2.

[quote name='gcorlett']You will have a grand time if it's all new to you![/quote]

Yeah no. I hated it because I rarely got to do anything meanwhile not getting to step out of the spawn point for more than 5 seconds before dying. Every 'newb' room I tried was full of high level assholes taking advantage of everyone who wanted to try the free weekend. I remember at one point I was shooting directly at someone for a straight minute (someone else had him pinned in a corner). HE WOULDN'T DIE because he was a higher level and I had lvl 1 weapons. I gave up and uninstalled it.

[quote name='VioletArrows']Yeah no. I hated it because I rarely got to do anything meanwhile not getting to step out of the spawn point for more than 5 seconds before dying. Every 'newb' room I tried was full of high level assholes taking advantage of everyone who wanted to try the free weekend. I remember at one point I was shooting directly at someone for a straight minute (someone else had him pinned in a corner). HE WOULDN'T DIE because he was a higher level and I had lvl 1 weapons. I gave up and uninstalled it.[/quote]

Higher level? If you shoot at anybody for a whole minute on TF2, they should be dead no matter what weapon you use. Maybe you were too far and the weapon you used was not accurate at far range (I'm thinking along the lines of the scout scattergun).

People spawn camp to kill the other enemy, but all you have to do is let your teammates know and they'll come back to clear it out. Find a better server and you should have fun :lol:

[quote name='VioletArrows']Yeah no. I hated it because I rarely got to do anything meanwhile not getting to step out of the spawn point for more than 5 seconds before dying. Every 'newb' room I tried was full of high level assholes taking advantage of everyone who wanted to try the free weekend. I remember at one point I was shooting directly at someone for a straight minute (someone else had him pinned in a corner). HE WOULDN'T DIE because he was a higher level and I had lvl 1 weapons. I gave up and uninstalled it.[/QUOTE]

The level notations are pretty much meaningless.
The only thing you need to know is which class counters which, and when to attack versus when to retreat.

Of course, they brought in the updates in the first place to mix that up a little.

I'm so tempted just to buy this game outright. I have a midrange laptop though and already own it on 360, is the game resource heavy?

[quote name='VioletArrows']Yeah no. I hated it because I rarely got to do anything meanwhile not getting to step out of the spawn point for more than 5 seconds before dying. Every 'newb' room I tried was full of high level assholes taking advantage of everyone who wanted to try the free weekend. I remember at one point I was shooting directly at someone for a straight minute (someone else had him pinned in a corner). HE WOULDN'T DIE because he was a higher level and I had lvl 1 weapons. I gave up and uninstalled it.[/quote]

1) You should have joined a different server if you weren't good enough to get out of your spawn point because of spawn camping. Unlike other FPS games, spawn camping is okay because you should be either calling your teammates back to help or doing something yourself.
2) You do not gain levels in TF2 unless you're talking about skill level.
3) Different guns do different damage.
4) For the last sentence, read #2 again and than let me add that the majority of the higher level weapons are not inherently better or even stronger than their original. You just needed to play better.

[quote name='Hostile']1) You should have joined a different server if you weren't good enough to get out of your spawn point because of spawn camping. Unlike other FPS games, spawn camping is okay because you should be either calling your teammates back to help or doing something yourself.
2) You do not gain levels in TF2 unless you're talking about skill level.
3) Different guns do different damage.
4) For the last sentence, read #2 again and than let me add that the majority of the higher level weapons are not inherently better or even stronger than their original. You just needed to play better.[/quote]

THIS

In fact, many of the lvl 10 weapons really suck compared to the lvl 1s. Most are very situational and/or novelty.

Meh, I'm done with any and all team games. 'Learn to play better' after disregarding what I said is basically what turns me off those games.

[quote name='genfuyung']Ive only played the 360 version. What is all this talk of different leveled weapons? Im intrigued.[/quote]

Me, too. I only played this on the 360, but I do own TOB on the PC, so I might start getting into on here, as well.

As you may or may not know, with each Achievement pack comes new weapons. The weapons are given a level, purely for cosmetic/flavor value. For example, the standard medic bonesaw is like a level 1 saw. The Ubersaw is a level 10 saw (or something like that). The levels don't mean anything.

[quote name='VioletArrows']Meh, I'm done with any and all team games. 'Learn to play better' after disregarding what I said is basically what turns me off those games.[/quote]

he didn't disregard what you said, he read and responded to it
granted, "learn to play better" probably wasn't the best thing to say, but i see what he meant

you're talking shit about the game when it's obvious that you don't even understand the game's mechanics
people might get the wrong impression

Bleh, 2nd weapon for the heavy is a minigun that slows the victim down, but lowers damage given by 25%. Here's hoping they are saving the best upgrade for last, cause these weapon upgrades aren't that impressive.

K.G.B. - Two to three seconds of crits with the minigun doesn't sound too bad. It has always been a pretty bad melee weapon though.

Natascha - Not as horrible as it seems. It will definitely help the team more if the 'slow' effect is any good and all it takes is one bullet to do so. You can slow nearly half the team after jumping out from a corner and while they try to run, your allies will killing them.

Pretty much any alternative version of the weapon have their strength and weakness. The new Backburner flamethrower increase damage dealt from behind but you loses the air blast which can be deadly if used correctly. Same goes with the Natascha upgrade, it will only do good for weak enemies that runs away like scout, medic, spy and engineer.

So the new 'leveled up' weapons aren't more powerful, it's just different.

Anyways I'll have fun beating my personal record on sniper and spy kills with the new achievement update and free weekend noobs.

And people that plays TF2 on consoles, get the PC version if your computer can run it since it's so much better with free contents that Valve constantly releases. All these updates will probably cost $20 alone on xbox live if they every releases them.

[quote name='Negative']Bleh, 2nd weapon for the heavy is a minigun that slows the victim down, but lowers damage given by 25%. Here's hoping they are saving the best upgrade for last, cause these weapon upgrades aren't that impressive.[/quote]

The third weapon is going to be a sandvich that you can eat to get back health.

bread's done
Back