Tabula Rasa (PC) free to play now, bitches!

whitereflection

CAGiversary!
Feedback
67 (100%)
Thought I should give this a bump since the game has gone free to play earlier than previously stated. You can now play this game in first-person by presing Shift-9.

Why should you play this when the game is set to shut down soon?
Playing on the test server is like playing a game on debug mode or with a Gameshark. The test server allows you to level up instantly and have tons of cash, respecs (allows you to reset your skill allocation), etc. You are also able to choose classes freely without the requisite classes. The new content will require you to be max level, and you'll still get to see everything in the game without having to actually put any work in.

How to Install
-If you're a former player, all you have to do is log into your PlayNC account and click reactivate.
-If you're a new player, you can request a serial key from their support site, or pick the game up at Gamestop/EB Games for a penny. You do need to provide a credit card number when registering, but it will not be charged.

Here's the (live) game client: ftp://ftp.playtr.com/setup_data_files/install_tabula_rasa_1.11.6.0.exe (Be aware that the game is set to shut down on February 28th, 2009 and all your leveling will have been for naught if you choose to play here.)
Test server client: ftp://ftp.playtr.com/public_test/setup_data_files/install_tabula_rasa_1.11.6.0_pts.exe
If you already have the game installed and want to play on test, here is a very easy way to do so without having to download it: http://www.planettr.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2144

Last edited by a moderator:
I found this game much more interesting than either WoW or the Warhammer beta. Personally I felt like the military/Starship Troopers angle they used made the game much more fun than any MMO on the market.

I don't think it meshes well with what a lot of people expect from an MMO these days, though. Everybody wants constant PVP and raid bullshit that really just gets in the way of the game everyone else is trying to play.

How is the userbase doing, white? Has it remained pretty steady since release, or is it going down?

[quote name='Skexis']I found this game much more interesting than either WoW or the Warhammer beta. Personally I felt like the military/Starship Troopers angle they used made the game much more fun than any MMO on the market.

I don't think it meshes well with what a lot of people expect from an MMO these days, though. Everybody wants constant PVP and raid bullshit that really just gets in the way of the game everyone else is trying to play.

How is the userbase doing, white? Has it remained pretty steady since release, or is it going down?[/quote]

Thegame bombed, so much in fact, that it wasn't even mentioned during the sales reports. Ah well

[quote name='the_punisher']Anyone know the trade-in value at gs? you can't tell me you can't flip a $5 game[/QUOTE]

I can tell you that if it's a PC game and it's a MMORPG that requires a one time use serial code that comes with it.

I subscribed for 3 months. It's fun, but it's near impossible to find people to join you in groups, and many of the goals are difficult enough to require it. It seemed rather repetitive after awhile. In games like WOW, you see characters coming towards you. In TR they often appear out of nowhere, beamed down from passing by ships. This adds an element of surprise, but is also frustrating if you are trying to travel to different areas quickly.

I recently resubscribed to WOW to see if it's changed since I played last (6+ mths ago). My favorite mmorpg right now is Dungeon Runners.

[quote name='Skexis']
How is the userbase doing, white? Has it remained pretty steady since release, or is it going down?[/QUOTE]

It's been steadily decreasing - the game peaked at 120k subscribers and currently has roughly 70k - but a lot of the new content in recent patches is targeted towards new players who have little experience with MMOs. Right now, a lot of people are playing for the free two weeks (if you're an old player, you should have gotten an e-mail inviting you to play) and it's the most populated I've seen since launch, though I can't say how many people will stay.

[quote name='ryanflucas']I subscribed for 3 months. It's fun, but it's near impossible to find people to join you in groups, and many of the goals are difficult enough to require it. It seemed rather repetitive after awhile. In games like WOW, you see characters coming towards you. In TR they often appear out of nowhere, beamed down from passing by ships. This adds an element of surprise, but is also frustrating if you are trying to travel to different areas quickly.[/QUOTE]

It really was difficult finding a group to play with just a few months ago, but right now, it couldn't be easier since they've improved the chat interface and there are actually more people playing the game. As for enemies being beamed down, it does lose its charm pretty quickly since the only methods of travel are waypoints, on foot, and a charging tackle that locks onto your enemies.

The game definitely is repetitive, though, and you were right to subscribe for only three months.

[quote name='st0nedpenguin']After playing TR during beta you'd need to pay me to make me play it again.[/QUOTE]

You're entitled to your opinion, even if it's wrong, but this is exactly the sentiment that kills MMOs. So you didn't even play the game at launch and you think it's the same game it's been at beta ten months later? Lay off the ganja.

[quote name='the_punisher']I don't see any reason to buy it then, other than to piss somebody off :)[/QUOTE]

Haha! :lol: You mean you wouldn't buy any game for $5, even if it was crap? Seriously, though, it's definitely worth $5 even if you only play for the free month. And let me add this: when Auto Assault was shut down, players got Tabula Rasa, City of Heroes, etc., as complimentary gifts. If Tabula Rasa is shut down, you'll probably get a free pass for Aion or the recently revealed Blade & Soul, which looks fantastic.

[quote name='whitereflection']You're entitled to your opinion, even if it's wrong, but this is exactly the sentiment that kills MMOs. So you didn't even play the game at launch and you think it's the same game it's been at beta ten months later? Lay off the ganja.[/quote]

Played all through beta and cancelled my subscription before I got billed after release I should have said.

And that sentiment isn't what kills MMOs, what kills MMOs are developers/publishers throwing out any old bug ridden, underdeveloped crap in hopes it'll survive long enough to patch it up to a decent state.

You'd really think that in a market that contains WoW, MMO developers would realize that dumping out poor games just isn't a smart move.

How much is the monthy fee?
Can I just buy 12 copies at $5 and have a year subscription?
I'm assuming the subscription is more that 5 bucks a month.

I hate Richard Garriott. I hope he gets bloody diarrhea, acid vomit, and shits himself to death.

Good deal to try out the game though...thanks.

[quote name='foxdvd']I hate Richard Garriott. I hope he gets bloody diarrhea, acid vomit, and shits himself to death.[/quote]

:roll: Wow. Someone must not like Ultima.

[quote name='Shawnimal']How much is the monthy fee?
Can I just buy 12 copies at $5 and have a year subscription?
I'm assuming the subscription is more that 5 bucks a month.[/quote]

The monthly fee is 14.99 a month. This may actually be possible, after checking out the referral program. I don't know how it exactly works, but the idea is that you start a new game (get a month free), recommend the game to a "friend" to give them a three-day trial. After that trial is up, it'll ask if they want to upgrade to a full account. If you're able to use the serial from the game you purchased from Amazon, then you'll get a free month for referring the other copy at $5.

I don't have the game myself, but this sounds plausible and pretty tempting.

I got the game at Target a few months back and just quit playing after hitting the level cap. It was a good time and is certainly worth the $5 to play it for a month. If they ever add new content (most of the level capped people just started over with a new character) I'll probably join up again.

[quote name='Skoad']The monthly fee is 14.99 a month. This may actually be possible, after checking out the referral program. I don't know how it exactly works, but the idea is that you start a new game (get a month free), recommend the game to a "friend" to give them a three-day trial. After that trial is up, it'll ask if they want to upgrade to a full account. If you're able to use the serial from the game you purchased from Amazon, then you'll get a free month for referring the other copy at $5.

I don't have the game myself, but this sounds plausible and pretty tempting.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure the referral program only gives you a free month if the person you refer pays for a month. Still not a bad deal, but your friends probably won't try this game unless you buy it for them.

If you want to save on the monthly fee, you can pay for a year in advance for $10 a month, or you can look for the older time cards branded for specific games: City of Heroes/Villains, Auto Assault, Lineage II, etc., which can be used for any NCsoft game. I frequently found 60-day time cards for $10 (making my subscription just $5 a month) at CompUSA, but they've already shut down nationwide. Don't get these cards confused with the new ones that hit Target, 7-11, and Rite Aid just a few weeks ago, which are thin and don't require purchasing thir respective titles. (The old ones come in cardboard boxes and do require owning the game you want to play.)

[quote name='jalu6']I got the game at Target a few months back and just quit playing after hitting the level cap. It was a good time and is certainly worth the $5 to play it for a month. If they ever add new content (most of the level capped people just started over with a new character) I'll probably join up again.[/QUOTE]

Endgame content is finally being added next patch. No ETA has been announced, but the current one went live a week before they stated it would. And I dunno how recent this is - I certainly haven't noticed it before - but there are at least a few mid-level raids. There might be one for level 50 players, but I don't have one myself and can't verify.

I renewed my account yesterday with a spare game card since a friend of mine did, and honestly, it isn't a bad game if you are looking for something to relax in a little. Although I have never been a big fan of quests, TR does make them worthwhile. Instead of sitting and grinding on mobs all day and night, you grind quests, so it gets a little less monotonous.

Does anyone know if you can use the codes from the boxes as extra game time codes for a free month? I ask because I could previously do this with Lineage 2 if I found a copy for less than $15. I would pick up quite a few of these if the same deal worked for Tabula Rasa, so I could renew my account when I need an mmo to kill some time.

Also, if anyone who previously played but been inactive for 90 days wants to try it out again, let me know and I can send a reinvite code. This is something that benefits both players, as each one gets 15 days free if an account is reactivated. A few extra free weeks never hurt. ;)

It's really just a lame shooter with an outrageous monthly fee. I tried it around 6 months ago and there wasn't another person to be found anywhere. I don't believe 70k people would actually pay for this game monthly considering how bad it is.

[quote name='Jeoff']It's really just a lame shooter with an outrageous monthly fee. I tried it around 6 months ago and there wasn't another person to be found anywhere. I don't believe 70k people would actually pay for this game monthly considering how bad it is.[/quote]

I personally don't think the game is bad. Primarily, it lacks high end content and reads for clan wars and such that would make it more exciting. They are working to change it up and add a lot more content as it progresses. It lacks a lot of features other MMOs have, but maybe that is why I like it, it isn't trying to be other MMOs.

Maybe it is just American servers, but I play on a Euro server with my friend who started before me, and I can usually find people during their prime hours. As for groups that is another issue, since I primarily just play with my friend or solo to relax. Here are a few shots from yesterday, some people surely around. Second shot is waiting for a reward from an event that just happened, and that was one of three different places to get it and was the shortest line. x.x

http://www.5elements.net/kurina/screenshots/tabularasa/00000002.jpg
http://www.5elements.net/kurina/screenshots/tabularasa/00000007.jpg

The game isn't anything spectacular imo, but it isn't bad either. Again, just something nice and relaxing to do for a month or so, and mess with control point sieges.

The game: quite fun, IMO. Grinding is actually fun this time around, and the classes are pretty nifty.

The userbase: not terrible. A bunch of bickering elitist bastards makes up the regular chatters. The chat is only good for a quick trade or requesting some help to take back a Control Point. (also a great place to grind) As for population, I don't know what the other posters are on about, there's a good amount of people playing. It isn't too buggy, and at $5, it's definitely worth a try.

[quote name='Kurina']Does anyone know if you can use the codes from the boxes as extra game time codes for a free month? I ask because I could previously do this with Lineage 2 if I found a copy for less than $15. I would pick up quite a few of these if the same deal worked for Tabula Rasa, so I could renew my account when I need an mmo to kill some time.[/QUOTE]

Did you ask this on planettr? You would have to create a new account and start from scratch everytime you did this, no? If that's the case, I don't see why not, unless you used the same credit card each time you did this.

I did ask on TR and it seems you can't. With Lineage 2 you could, so I was hoping NCSoft would carry the same thing over. Seems you can't with TR though. Sucks, would buy quite a few for this price lol, game is worth that at least for monthly fee!

OMG I just bought it for $0.96 with free shipping! I am somewhat confused and surprised at this move by Amazon but whatever! LOL!

Wow, $1? Too bad I don't have any plans on ordering anything from an Amazon. I'd be willing to give this a whirl. The game universe sounds kind of interesting.

And I thought Bullet Candy for $3.49 was cheap...man. I might try this out; the problem is, I don't have time for MMORPGs, especially if it's paid subscription. I can only play in Friday-Saturday-Sunday, therefore wasting my money :(

I used to subscribe years ago. It did bomb, it could have been soo much more then it was. However, if you like City of Heroes or Villians, or any of the other non-guide wars related games by NCSoft, buy this and register it. The company has a history of giving you free game time or bonuses in other games when they shut down one of their games. I was in auto assault for 3 days before they shut it down and was given a free month in 3 of their other games. I bought Auto Assault at Sam Goody store closing for less then a buck.

What we really need is Fallout MMO to fill the void that was created after this game bombed.

Your $0.96 + shipping is better spent on Wrath of the Lich King.

[quote name='ryanflucas']What we really need is Fallout MMO to fill the void that was created after this game bombed.[/QUOTE]
Please no. Don't rape Fallout with "LF2M deahtclaw cave MUST HAVE PWR ARMER!!"

[quote name='malio']Prolly why it's less than $1: http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/689113/NCsoft_Shutting_Down_Tabula_Rasa.html

Rumor started last month it was closing down.[/QUOTE]

That rumor's already been shot down. What happened was that 50-70 employees were laid off, including the majority of the Dungeon Runners team, and that all the studios are now led by the newly-formed NC West, focusing on AAA titles instead of many smaller ones. So Tabula Rasa is not going to be shut down for the forseeable future.

[quote name='sniping_dreamer']And I thought Bullet Candy for $3.49 was cheap...man. I might try this out; the problem is, I don't have time for MMORPGs, especially if it's paid subscription. I can only play in Friday-Saturday-Sunday, therefore wasting my money :([/QUOTE]

Most MMOs give you a free month of game time, including this one. It's okay to play for only a few hours at a time too since it's a shooter. You're probably not going to want to play after level 30 anyway since there's currently not much to do.

[quote name='ryanflucas']I used to subscribe years ago. It did bomb, it could have been soo much more then it was. However, if you like City of Heroes or Villians, or any of the other non-guide wars related games by NCSoft, buy this and register it. The company has a history of giving you free game time or bonuses in other games when they shut down one of their games. I was in auto assault for 3 days before they shut it down and was given a free month in 3 of their other games. I bought Auto Assault at Sam Goody store closing for less then a buck.[/quote]

Oh boy, don't remind me. I loved Auto Assault. But they didn't just give you free months, they gave you free copies of the games. So if this game really does shut down, players will probably receive Aion, which runs on the Crysis engine, or Blade & Soul, a martial arts MMO illustrated by the guy who did the Magna Carta game for PS2.

I bought this game together with Virtua Fighter 5 for 360 cause I didn't want R6:Vegas, had to order 9! copies of TR, but with free shipping this deal is cheaper than the original 3 TRs [brother, friend and I] and 1 VF5 I had on open order seperately!

Awesome! You guys saved me shipping and got me more game for my buck

[quote name='PsychoKilla666']I bought this game together with Virtua Fighter 5 for 360 cause I didn't want R6:Vegas, had to order 9! copies of TR, but with free shipping this deal is cheaper than the original 3 TRs [brother, friend and I] and 1 VF5 I had on open order seperately!

Awesome! You guys saved me shipping and got me more game for my buck[/quote]

This item is eligible for Amazon Prime.

Free Two-Day Shipping sealed the deal! I actually would've paid $4.99 if I wasn't so lazy to order it but now I can't pass this up at this price.

bread's done
Back