CAG Foreplay #51: He Likes Ceilings, She Likes Marble Floors

shipwreck

Staff member
Feedback
91 (100%)
[preview][img-l=1]2[/img-l]CAG's shipwreck & mrs. shipwreck preview the new releases for the week of August 20th, 2008. We're back from vacation and cover the last two week's worth of releases. Well... we go off track a bunch too, but I'm pretty sure we talk about new releases in there somewhere.

Don't forget to enter our contest for Fable II: Pub Games for XBLA.

Special thanks to GoDaddy.com for providing CAG Foreplay listeners with a code for domain names for only $6.95 a year. Just enter code "GAMER1" when you check out to get your savings.

[podcast]20[/podcast]
Download - 75 minutes, 35MB
[digg]http://digg.com/podcasts/CAG_Foreplay[/digg][/preview]

You can now subscribe to Foreplay on iTunes by clicking this link: CAG Foreplay on iTunes

You can also contact us with any questions or comments at [email protected] or [email protected].

Multi-Platform

[IMG-L=135]1887[/IMG-L]Madden NFL 09 (Last Week) Dev. EA Tiburon Pub. Electronic Arts Systems: Everything... even the original Xbox MSRP: $59.99
Test your Madden IQ with adaptive game difficulties and... well, I really don't think I need (or want) to write much else. If you want an NFL football game, this is the one you can purchase. If you REALLY want to buy a whole lot of NFL football game, you can purchase the 20th Anniversary Edition which comes with NFL Head Coach 09 and Madden '93. And since this preview is coming out a week late... your copy of Madden has probably dropped 75% of its value already. - ship

Best Deal: Well, Toys R Us has that buy one, get one half off deal going if you want the Xbox 360 version.

DS

[IMG-L=135]1882[/IMG-L]Bangai-O Spirits (Last Week) Dev. Treasure Pub. D3 Publisher Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
Bangai-O Spirits is the sequel to the cult hit multi-directional shooter by Treasure that was released on the ill-fated Dreamcast. Featuring 4-player local co-op, over 160 levels, and a level editor that allows players to share creations online (and simply by playing a sound clip into the DS's mic), this is a title that has legs... huge, hovering mech legs. A must-buy for fans of Gunstar Heroes or the GameBoy Advance Astro Boy game. - ship

Best Deal: There don't seem to be any specific deals for Bangai-O Spirits.

:ds: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shipping)

[IMG-L=135]1883[/IMG-L]The Cheetah Girls: Passport to Stardom Dev. Disney Interactive Pub. Disney Interactive Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
This much-anticipated gaming sequel to the original TV movie "The Cheetah Girls One World" features the tween-stars Aqua, Chanel, and Dorinda. What can only be described as an adventure title, the gameplay involves dancing, pointing, clicking, depressing both the "A" and "B" buttons, as well as some "X" and "Y" action. Of course, the obligatory outfit customization also included. - mrs. ship

Best Deal: Best Buy is offering the new Cheetah Girls album for free with the purchase of The Cheetah Girls: Passport to Stardom.

:ds: Purchase At Best Buy $29.99 (Free Cheetah Girls - One World album - $10 value)

[IMG-L=135]1884[/IMG-L]Commando: Steel Disaster Dev. Mana Computer Software Pub. XS Games Systems: DS MSRP: $19.99
Is it a disaster to steal Metal Slug's art style and gameplay while causing a slight bit of confusion on whether this is a game in the "Commando" franchise? Who knows quite yet, but I'm always interested in a scrolling shooter that comes out at a budget price. Unfortunately, the game is single player only, but in keeping with the homage to Metal Slug, there are plenty of different weapons and vehicles to take out bumbling foot soldiers and screen-filling bosses alike. And in keeping with the homage to DS games, touch-screen mini-games make an appearance as well. - ship

Best Deal: There don't seem to be any specific deals for Commando: Steel Disaster.

:ds: Purchase At Gamestop $19.99

[IMG-L=135]1886[/IMG-L]Imagine: Teacher (Last Week) Dev. Gevo Entertainment Pub. Ubi Soft Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
The Imagine series has done relatively well for itself with it's target audience. I like that this title (along with, obviously, the veterinarian title) is that this career choice is one that is actually achievable with some hard work and higher-level education. I mean, I'm all for the whole "you can do anything you put your mind to" mantra, but the majority of the 12 year-old girls I know aren't the next Pink, so Rock Star is a bit out of the question. And with the way Britney Spears turned out, that's probably a good thing. But I digress. The gameplay in this one involves teaching mini-games that are more brain-training oriented, along with managing your class (Julie can't sit next to Stacey or they'll fight, etc...) and recruiting new students. I think the animation style and overall girliness of these titles make them decent buys for $30, although they'll most likely fall in price at some point. I just hope the nagging parents aren't included. - mrs. ship

Best Deal: There don't seem to be any specific deals for Imagine: Teacher.

PlayStation 2

[IMG-L=135]1891[/IMG-L]Falling Stars Dev. Ivolgamus Pub. Agetec Systems: PS2 MSRP: $14.99
Falling Stars is an RPG title aimed at kids. The main character comes complete with a trainable pet that resembles the Disney alien, Stitch. There are mini-games weaved into the gameplay, along with customizable outfits. Since this title isn’t really on the top of the new-release radar, there haven’t been any in-depth reviews out but the few press scores available are decent. If you have a younger child that might enjoy some simplified RPG action, this title might be a consideration. - mrs. ship

Best Deal: There don't seem to be any specific deals for Falling Stars.

:ps2: Purchase At Amazon $14.99 (Free shipping on orders over $15)

[IMG-L=135]1893[/IMG-L]Shepherd's Crossing Dev. Pub. Valcon Systems: PS2 MSRP: $14.99
This title is obviously marketed toward the Harvest Moon audience, with the main aspect of the gameplay being growing your own crops. Then, you take your crops and trade them in for other stuff. This process continues until you’ve gathered enough products to attract a marmot to your farm. If this confuses you, join the club. As hazy as the game characteristics seem, the game also includes turned-base RPG action and quirky anime characters. I can’t really tell you if this game is any good or not, but I can say it looks interesting enough that I’m willing to try it out. - mrs. ship

Best Deal: There don't seem to be any specific deals for Shepherd's Crossing.

:ps2: Purchase At Amazon $14.99 (Free shipping on orders over $15)

PSP

[IMG-L=135]1885[/IMG-L]Fading Shadows Dev. Ivolgamus Pub. Agetec Systems: PSP MSRP: $29.99
Puzzle adventure games are usually Ship’s forte, so this title is definitely more up his alley. At the most simplistic level of description, the gameplay is guiding a ball out of each level. But, this game has a storyline that rivals that of most RPGs and looks fantastic graphically. You have to start thinking about things like what the ball you’re guiding is made of – wood will float but metal doesn’t. There are switches and bridges and wind-mills to maneuver through, and subtle changes in the beam of light that guides the ball allow for intricate movements. Overall, this game looks like a solid purchase. - mrs. ship

Best Deal: Fading Shadows is a GameStop exclusive... don't tell that to publisher's direct site though as Agetec is selling it for $10 cheaper.

:psp: Purchase At GameStop $29.99
:psp: Purchase At Agetec $19.99

Xbox 360

[IMG-L=135]1889[/IMG-L]Smash Court Tennis 3 Dev. Namco Bandai Pub. Atari Systems: 360 MSRP: $39.99
Sporting a sizeable grouping of major players (Federer, Nadal, Sharapova, Henin, and more), Smash Court Tennis 3 tries once again volleys into the crowded tennis market by serving itself up at a budget price. Which, not coincidentally, was the first thought that went through my mind after giving this game some time at E3. It's not that this is a bad game; there's the ability to create your own character and a couple different play modes, it's just that it is, in fact, a budget title competing with very competent contemporaries that can now be had for less than $40. Game, Set, Match... other games. - ship

Best Deal: There don't seem to be any specific deals for Smash Court Tennis 3.

:360: Purchase At Amazon $39.99 (Free shipping)

[IMG-L=135]1890[/IMG-L]Too Human Dev. Silicon Knights Pub. Microsoft Systems: 360 MSRP: $59.99 A cyber-Nordic hack-n-slash/dress-'em-up made by a super nerd for fellow super nerds. Sign me up. I'm definitely geeked up to point my right analog stick at baddies and watch with glee as my super stylish warrior Heelys his way through swarms of ne'rdowells in a quest for stat points and a really cool hat... and maybe a matching belt... and some shiny shinguards. And of course on this trip to the mall epic journey to save the world, I'm looking forward to being accompanied by Wombat through co-operative online play... until the inevitable instant that epic loot appears and our respective Bioengineer and Berserker transform into the likes of crazed brides at a designer wedding dress clearance. Note to self... sabotage Wombat's Heelys. - ship

Best Deal: Toys R Us is selling Too Human for $50 and there is the buy one Xbox 360 game, get one half off deal this week as well. Fry's is also offering Too Human for $50, while Circuit City is giving away a $10 gift card with your purchase of the game. Both Amazon and GameStop are offering five free downloadable armor sets with the purchase of Too Human.

:360: Purchase At Amazon $59.99 (Free shipping & 5 downloadable armor sets)
:360: Purchase At GameStop $59.99 (5 downloadable armor sets)
:360: Purchase At Toys R Us $49.99 (Buy 1, Get 1 50% off on Xbox 360 games)
:360: Purchase At Circuit City $59.99 (Free $10 gift card)
:360: Purchase At Fry's $49.99

PC

[IMG-L=135]1888[/IMG-L]Murder in the Abbey Dev. Alcachofa Soft Pub. Crimson Cow Systems: PC MSRP: $19.99
This is actually a really neat looking PC adventure title. Blending a two-dimensional aesthetic with whimsical character models, the artwork is quite stellar. This looks like a surprisingly quality adventure title released at a budget price. Nancy Drew fans (ahem... Mrs. Shipwreck) should take note. - Treehouse Gamer

Best Deal: There don't seem to be any specific deals for Murder in the Abbey.

:pc: Purchase At Amazon $19.99 (Free shipping on orders over $25)

[IMG-L=135]1892[/IMG-L]Sam & Max: Season 2 Dev. TellTale Games Pub. TellTale Games Systems: PC MSRP: $34.95
Packed into this DVD-Rom are the five episodes of Sam & Max that consist of Season 2. Also included in the package are DVD-like special features including behind-the-scenes and developer's commentary. This is standard LucasArts-style fare. If you're a fan of old-school adventure games and tongue-in-cheek humor, then you should definitely check this out. - Treehouse Gamer

Best Deal: There don't seem to be any specific deals for Sam & Max: Season 2.

:pc: Purchase At TellTale Games $34.95

On The DL with the Shipwrecks

Break In (Last Week) Systems: Wii VC (TG-16) MSRP: $7
If you're in the mood for a pool title with 80s graphics, this game is for you! Of course, if I were going to play pool on the Wii, I'd want to use the Wii-mote action. That's just my, but I wouldn't pay $7 for an old pool game. - mrs. ship

Mega Man Systems: Wii VC (NES) MSRP: $5
Powered down and back to his beginnings, see what Mega Man was like before he sold out and went mainstream. None of that Mega Man is a boy in a suit ridiculousness here; we're talking about a time when men were robots and carried no-nonsense, applicable names given to them by either their inventors or evil geniuses. - ship

NEO Turf Masters Systems: Wii VC (NEOGEO) MSRP: $9
Because in the year 2008, you need to have the option to buy a golf game released in 1996 for $9. Also available on SNK Arcade Classics Vol. 1 in case you need two copies. - ship

Star Parodier (Last Week) Systems: Wii VC (TG-16 CD) MSRP: $9
Sometimes you don't feel like dealing with the harsh reality of battling through wave after wave of gritty, life-threatening alien fleets. Escape from it all in this brightly-colored and grin inducing parody of the Star Soldier series of SHMUPS. - ship

Midnight Pool Systems: WiiWare MSRP: $8
Let it all hang down in this WiiWare adaptation of Gameloft's original mobile phone game as you travel across America and play billiards both as and against a variety of yokels. Included in the game are 8-Ball, 9-Ball, and UK rules 9-Ball, as well as trick-shot challenges, so you could do a lot worse for an $8 drunken purchase. Don't plan to pocket any balls online though, as this is strictly a local affair so it will be up to the warm bodies in your living room to make it all peaches and cream. - ship

Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People Episode 1: Homestar Ruiner (Last Week) Systems: WiiWare, PC MSRP: $10
Meet the lone resident of Strongbadia in glorious virtual 3-D form in this point and click adventure set in the Homestar Runner universe. Good for a few laughs if you enjoy Strong Bad's style of comedy. The whole gang has been rendered into 3-D models, but still retain the look and feel of their 2D origins... even the tire. - ship

Street Fighter Alpha (Last Week) Systems: PS3/PSP (PS1) MSRP: $5.99
Ryu, Ken, and the gang never can seem to settle their differences peacefully. - ship

Ratchet & Clank: Quest for Booty Systems: PSN (PS3) MSRP: $14.99
An interesting experiment with a proven franchise: release a small, but high quality epilogue/prologue that fits between full retail products and make it available at a quarter of the price. So for $15, you can download 2.5 to 4 hours worth of new Ratchet adventures. If you haven't played through every other game in the series up to this point, it seems to me it may be a better value to pick up one of those games first, but if you celebrate the entire Ratchet catalog, I suppose you won't mind spending the cash on this one. - ship

Bionic Commando Rearmed (Last Week) Systems: PS3, 360 MSRP: $10
Swing, die, swing, die, swing die... ah, just how I remember it. And that's a good thing! - ship

Fable II Pub Games (Last Week) Systems: 360 MSRP: $10
An easy way to waste a few hours with three different gambling games, although Fortune's Tower is clearly the winner here. And with a little help of the "LB" button, you can be too. - ship

Galaga Legions Systems: XBLA MSRP: $10
The Pac-Man Championship Edition team returns with their updated take on killing waves of aliens. Guess what... those guys still really enjoy their fluorescents, so be ready for eye-watering hot magentas, shocking pinks, electric limes, and unmellow yellows as you pew-pew-pew your way through enemies who will lay down their lives in a Chinese diver-like pursuit of synchronized movements. - ship

Did we miss a good sale on a game? Did we miss previewing a game completely? Well, the only way that everyone can know a better deal is out there is to let us know about it. Post deals you've found or games that we missed in the thread so that CAGs can make sure they are getting the absolute best prices on new releases.

I love listening to the show, which I generally do at work, and people walking by never come in my office because they think I am on the phone talking to someone. BONUS!!

Sounds to me like Mrs. Shipwreck uses the Wii Remote wrong. You don't have to hold your arm up to use the Wiimote. I feel like a history teacher saying this. And I hate history.

[quote name='KingBroly']Sounds to me like Mrs. Shipwreck uses the Wii Remote wrong. You don't have to hold your arm up to use the Wiimote. I feel like a history teacher saying this. And I hate history.[/quote]

In order to get past our coffee table, I do. At least I think I do. It doesn't work otherwise. Maybe we need to move the sensor bar? I mean, holding my arm up is SOOO taxing, so if we could avoid physical exertion all together, that'd be great. :D

Wooo, another great episode, and great timing, on my day off too. Thanks a bunch! Hehehe, excited about that foam finger ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mrs. shipwreck']In order to get past our coffee table, I do. At least I think I do. It doesn't work otherwise. Maybe we need to move the sensor bar? I mean, holding my arm up is SOOO taxing, so if we could avoid physical exertion all together, that'd be great. :D[/quote]

You could try moving the sensor to the bottom of the TV, that sometimes helps. Also, I think there is a calibration tool on the wii that allows you to adjust wii remote sensitivity

I can't remember exactly how to access it, but the tool itself has some floating dots on the screen and then you push the positive and negative buttons on the remote to adjust stuff.

I hope that I have been vaguely helpful. :)

Quick disclaimer: I'm not pointing the finger at anyone in particular.

Everyone is talking about these new pricing structures, tiers, etc. People need to realize that they're playing games, not prices or distribution methods. Everyone's bitching ... but digital distribution has been around forever on the PC! Steam's been around for 4 years now, and there's other services like Direct2Drive and Stardock's TotalGaming.net that have proven successful REGARDLESS of the price the games are released at!

It seems like console-exclusive gamers tend to bitch a lot more about this kind of stuff. People who are PC gamers as well seem to understand and embrace digital distribution. To me, this is the same issue as people bitching about installation times on the PS3. Oh my god! A game requires me to install something! PC GAMERS HAVE BEEN DOING THAT FOR OVER 20 YEARS. And how about the fact that all the PopCap games cost TWICE as much on the PC? Zuma is 800 points on the 360, and on the PC, it's $19.99 -- same with Heavy Weapon, Astropop, etc.

Everyone is behaving as if games like Braid and Castle Crashers are going to be released at $60 if "the man" keeps pushing the price up. Are you people smoking crack? These kinds of games are obviously far behind in terms of use of technology and development cost when compared to full retail games like Heavenly Sword and Fallout. These companies and developers understand that they're making a $5, $10 or $15 game. They're not pushing the price up just because they can.

This isn't some great conspiracy, it's just close-mindedness.

p.s. Super-awesome props to Mrs. Shipwreck for telling it like it is -- "What do you need to know other than looking back -- did I have fun, if I did it again would I spend that much money on it? [...] Either the game makes you happy or it doesn't. If it doesn't make you happy, then yeah, you got ripped off." I can apply that to lots -- even Goozex points, which are MUCH easier to spend. i.e. Viking -- that game SUCKS and I want my 750 points back. But am I bitching about Braid for $15 or Heavenly Sword for 1000 Goozex points? Hell no, those games were awesome.

[quote name='deadgopher']Quick disclaimer: I'm not pointing the finger at anyone in particular.

Everyone is talking about these new pricing structures, tiers, etc. People need to realize that they're playing games, not prices or distribution methods. Everyone's bitching ... but digital distribution has been around forever on the PC! Steam's been around for 4 years now, and there's other services like Direct2Drive and Stardock's TotalGaming.net that have proven successful REGARDLESS of the price the games are released at!

It seems like console-exclusive gamers tend to bitch a lot more about this kind of stuff. People who are PC gamers as well seem to understand and embrace digital distribution. To me, this is the same issue as people bitching about installation times on the PS3. Oh my god! A game requires me to install something! PC GAMERS HAVE BEEN DOING THAT FOR OVER 20 YEARS. And how about the fact that all the PopCap games cost TWICE as much on the PC? Zuma is 800 points on the 360, and on the PC, it's $19.99 -- same with Heavy Weapon, Astropop, etc.

Everyone is behaving as if games like Braid and Castle Crashers are going to be released at $60 if "the man" keeps pushing the price up. Are you people smoking crack? These kinds of games are obviously far behind in terms of use of technology and development cost when compared to full retail games like Heavenly Sword and Fallout. These companies and developers understand that they're making a $5, $10 or $15 game. They're not pushing the price up just because they can.

This isn't some great conspiracy, it's just close-mindedness.

p.s. Super-awesome props to Mrs. Shipwreck for telling it like it is -- "What do you need to know other than looking back -- did I have fun, if I did it again would I spend that much money on it? [...] Either the game makes you happy or it doesn't. If it doesn't make you happy, then yeah, you got ripped off." I can apply that to lots -- even Goozex points, which are MUCH easier to spend. i.e. Viking -- that game SUCKS and I want my 750 points back. But am I bitching about Braid for $15 or Heavenly Sword for 1000 Goozex points? Hell no, those games were awesome.[/quote]

I was going to start saying the same thing...again, but you already did, haha, thanks. Yeah and thanks Mrs. Shipwreck for being adamant with the discussion about price and value.

This was a great episode, perhaps the best so far because of the amount and quality of discussions you guys had. So maybe you can have more talky sections in future episodes?

With the show coming out after the Cagcast, I think you should change the name to cag afterglow. What is that god awful noise at the end of the show?

While not explicitly stated, Bionic Commando: Rearmed is a shiny new repackaging of a classic NES game of the same name. And the controls were fiddly back then too.

Concerning pricing of games: I think that using time to complete a game is a very flawed measurement of value. I am sure I am not alone when I say I can't even begin to recall all the games that "extended" game play just by making you re-trek through all the levels again thus making the game just drag on. Conversely, I think there are equally as many games that are tight and short that are fantastic. For me, I am more than like to replay a short good game again over a long good game. I would pay $x for a gereat game whether it took 30 minutes to complete or 300 hours to complete. All in all, what I am driving at is that time spent on a game in no way dictates quality or value. It has been said many times over, but I'll say it again; personal enjoyment is what is comes down to. If you enjoyed the game, it was worth it; if you didn't, it was a waste. I mean at least today you get have demos to see if you would potentially like it. Back in the 8-Bit days it was all just shooting in the dark; where you were just as likely to buy "craptactular" games like Athena or Deadly Towers as excellent games like Bionic Commando or Clash at Demonhead.

I think everyone KNOWS value is a subjective thing and has nothing to do with bulk quantity, but they are hurt when their values aren't bore out by everyone. So they have to voice they hurt to all who will listen. Everyone loved Portal, but it's $20 tag didn't faze anyone (and granted it was part of a bundle at first but still). Everyone said it was worth it. But when there is a little bit of dissension (like Braid), those that didn't really like the game seem compelled to yell to the hills that $15 is too much. It is a bit disheartening that the complainers have a much louder voice on the internet than the supporters, but that's how it is. But still the price of games like Braid clearly wasn't too much as it sold spectacularly well. If it wasn't good or it WAS too much it wouldn't have sold. The fact is that many people thought it was worth $15.

Finally, when people say "it's not a $15 game, it's a $10 game", what does that even mean?! The only thing it says to me is that you didn't like it; end of story. You can't qaulify it by saying that you would've enjoyed it more if it were cheaper. Saying shuff like this more a commentary on your personality rather the quality of the game.

Bangai-O Spirits and Commando: Steel Disaster for me, thanks. I will gladly pay the $30 it costs to OWN Bangai-O Spirits, but it will be a cold, damn day in hell before I'll pay a cent more than $10 to rent a game. So no, no Braid or Castle Crashers for me. If they let me own the damn games, then I would buy them.

@ otherland and Razzuel:

Man, all the cool people that have their heads friggin' screwed on straight hang out in the Foreplay topics, I should post here more often.

Any way you guys could make the show available through the Zune Marketplace?

[quote name='Blackout']Any way you guys could make the show available through the Zune Marketplace?[/QUOTE]

We don't have PCs, but if enough people suggested it or subscribed to the RSS feed through the Zune Marketplace, maybe they will finally add it. I'm honestly not sure, as I have no way to checkout how the software works.

[quote name='Blackout']Any way you guys could make the show available through the Zune Marketplace?[/quote]

I have heard that it is not easy to get things on the Zune Marketplace, so maybe while you are waiting for it to be officially added—assuming it will—you can add Foreplay through its RSS feed.

I don't know if the Zune software has the option, but if it does just give it this address:

http://foreplay.libsyn.com/rss

[quote name='Razzuel']I have heard that it is not easy to get things on the Zune Marketplace, so maybe while you are waiting for it to be officially added—assuming it will—you can add Foreplay through its RSS feed.

I don't know if the Zune software has the option, but if it does just give it this address:

http://foreplay.libsyn.com/rss[/quote]

I wish Foreplay was on the Zune Marketplace too. Sadly I don't think the Zune software has any options for RSS.

The only option I've found is to Right-Click --> Save As everytime a new episode shows up on the homepage. If you save it to the same folder all the time (in my case, My Music/Podcasts), the Zune can recognize and scan that folder for the new podcasts to sync to your Zune. It created a CAG Foreplay series in my Zune's podcast directory.

Other than that, everyone just keep submitting suggestions!!

I'm glad you guys liked those pictures of Hour of Victory. I should've gotten a picture of the surrounding area...the tower just looks outta place. Just like that damn tank level. Out. Of. Place! Difficulty-wise anyway. But what do you expect from frustratingly annoying fun? haha.

Oh and Mrs. Shipwreck, comparing Braid to Super Princess Peach is a great description!! Now it'll be easier to tell people about it instead of getting confused looks when you call it a "platform puzzler."

[quote name='typeRJ']I wish Foreplay was on the Zune Marketplace too. Sadly I don't think the Zune software has any options for RSS.

The only option I've found is to Right-Click --> Save As everytime a new episode shows up on the homepage. If you save it to the same folder all the time (in my case, My Music/Podcasts), the Zune can recognize and scan that folder for the new podcasts to sync to your Zune. It created a CAG Foreplay series in my Zune's podcast directory.

Other than that, everyone just keep submitting suggestions!!

I'm glad you guys liked those pictures of Hour of Victory. I should've gotten a picture of the surrounding area...the tower just looks outta place. Just like that damn tank level. Out. Of. Place! Difficulty-wise anyway. But what do you expect from frustratingly annoying fun? haha.

Oh and Mrs. Shipwreck, comparing Braid to Super Princess Peach is a great description!! Now it'll be easier to tell people about it instead of getting confused looks when you call it a "platform puzzler."[/QUOTE]

Actually, it's really easy to do. In the podcasts section of your zune collection click add podcast and enter the RSS feed link.

Pretty good Foreplay, 'Wrecks! I don't listen much but I'm never disappointed when I do. Too bad about the trip to Mexico... probably could have went much better. But the Madden curse works in many mysterious ways.

Thanks for the props Ships. The deal was 2000 Wii points for $8.00 btw. I'm glad you used them to buy Strongbad. That game is awesome. Well worth the money. The discussion on the DLC prices was pretty good although you forgot to mention that Wii games are at the most $49.99 .

[quote name='Sockey']Actually, it's really easy to do. In the podcasts section of your zune collection click add podcast and enter the RSS feed link.[/quote]

Sweeeet, just what I needed to know. Thanks Sockey!

Smash Court Tennis 3's not a bad game like you said, but there's a reason why it's a second tier series behind Top Spin and Virtua Tennis. Boasting itself as the most realistic tennis game on the 360 a couple of months after Top Spin 3 came out is hilarious.

I'll play Too Human with anybody that wants to try out the co-op. I saw you were playing it a little earlier today, so give me a holler if you're up for playing some co-op.

Definitely go play RCF: Tools of Destruction ASAP, as it's a really good game. Quest for Booty's supposed to be more focused on platforming than the past few games have been, so it's less shooter-heavy than what ToD offered.

The show needs a priest after that ending.

[quote name='thorbahn3']The discussion on the DLC prices was pretty good although you forgot to mention that Wii games are at the most $49.99 .[/QUOTE]

That went through my head, but I didn't want to confuse matters any further by throwing it in there. But yes, a full-price Wii game is $50. As for the handhelds, I consider $30 to be a full-price game on the DS (even though Square-Enix routinely charges more than that and GameStop charges $35 for some Nintendo releases). For the PSP, I guess it's $40 since that's what the AAA Sony franchises come out at.

I was just using $60 as an example for the 360 and the PS3.

Shippy, Thundercats in Mexico? Man, I love your old school geekness. Was the intro in Spanish as well? :)

I hope mrs. shipwreck is better now.

btw, I disagree, Braid is WORTH IT! People paid close to $30 for Harvey Birdman and that game was way shorter. Just because it doesn't have retail packaging, that doesn't mean it's worth less. People are willing to pay close to the same retail price for games on Steam so why is Braid criticized for its price just because it's a downloadable game?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='shipwreck']That went through my head, but I didn't want to confuse matters any further by throwing it in there. But yes, a full-price Wii game is $50. As for the handhelds, I consider $30 to be a full-price game on the DS (even though Square-Enix routinely charges more than that and GameStop charges $35 for some Nintendo releases). For the PSP, I guess it's $40 since that's what the AAA Sony franchises come out at.

I was just using $60 as an example for the 360 and the PS3.[/QUOTE]

I think that's an interesting, perhaps un-intentional point, though. Like I said in an earlier posts, developers know damn well they can't and won't charge a lot of money (i.e. 50 or 60) for a game that's clearly behind on technology and lower in development costs. You could say that it's in direct proportion to the generation the game might be classified as. Full on retail seventh-gen games are $60, last gen is $50, stuff like arcade ports are $5 whereas super awesome arcadey games are $10-15. It'd be hard, for example, to charge $60 for a port of Defender, because shit, man, that games like 20-something years old. At the same time, who in their right mind would charge $10 for Bioshock?

Mrs. Shipwreck's point still stands, though, if you had fun, then you've got no reason to complain about it's cost.

[quote name='Sockey']Actually, it's really easy to do. In the podcasts section of your zune collection click add podcast and enter the RSS feed link.[/quote]

Thanks! :D

[quote name='bobthecat23']yeah your next vacation should be to the land of the rising sun...[/quote]

Try not to mention vacation and sun in the same sentence.Mrs. Shipwreck is still recovering.

[quote name='LiK']Shippy, Thundercats in Mexico? Man, I love your old school geekness. Was the intro in Spanish as well? :)

I hope mrs. shipwreck is better now.

btw, I disagree, Braid is WORTH IT! People paid close to $30 for Harvey Birdman and that game was way shorter. Just because it doesn't have retail packaging, that doesn't mean it's worth less. People are willing to pay close to the same retail price for games on Steam so why is Braid criticized for its price just because it's a downloadable game?[/QUOTE]

Yes it does means it's worth less. Let me count the ways: 1.No physical copy. 2.You switch systems, you're screwed and have to be connected online whenever you want to play.

One of my biggest issues with some d/l titles it how they're priced MORE then their longer disc counterparts. Anyone can look at the pinball and golf game out on XBLA and agree with me there. I could probably buy a PC game at about the same price or at $10 and have a Golf game with a ton more courses, the pinball game also. Yes some of these downloadable games are actually WAY overpriced compared to to their disc contemporaries.

Shippy for the love of GOD why don't you play some of that tripe Mrs.Shippy is reviewing. I'm referring to the girl games she MUST like. /rolls eyes. Give her more stuff like "Too Human" to play as I would love to hear her review of it over yours. No offense, I just don't think we click as much in gaming tastes. I mean she's got "Culdcept Saga" on her last played list while you don't.

[quote name='Sarang01']Yes it does means it's worth less. Let me count the ways: 1.No physical copy. 2.You switch systems, you're screwed and have to be connected online whenever you want to play.

One of my biggest issues with some d/l titles it how they're priced MORE then their longer disc counterparts. Anyone can look at the pinball and golf game out on XBLA and agree with me there. I could probably buy a PC game at about the same price or at $10 and have a Golf game with a ton more courses, the pinball game also. Yes some of these downloadable games are actually WAY overpriced compared to to their disc contemporaries.

Shippy for the love of GOD why don't you play some of that tripe Mrs.Shippy is reviewing. I'm referring to the girl games she MUST like. /rolls eyes. Give her more stuff like "Too Human" to play as I would love to hear her review of it over yours. No offense, I just don't think we click as much in gaming tastes. I mean she's got "Culdcept Saga" on her last played list while you don't.[/quote]

It's only worth less to you. When you buy a game or a movie you don't own the content. Sure you CAN do anything you want with it, but laws are in place to prevent you from copying it or altering it or distributing it. Physical packaging is merely an illusion tricking you into thinking you own something that you are just renting forever. Also, I find the argument of "being able to sell the game on the grey market" a bit faulty as well. First what about the owners who choose not to sell games? Sure it's a choice but the fact they have a disk is irrelevent to the game play. Secondly, by feeding the grey market, you are only hurting publisher and developers which then in turn may lead to increased MSRPs.

"Worth" is a subjective value with no SI units attached, therefore time is a poor measurement of value. People use it because it's simple and doesn't tax the mind. It's easier to think a 50 hour game is worth 10 times a 5 hour game. And ti much easier to assume a shine box is worth a buch of 1's and 0's. If price to too high for you, that is perfectly fine. Just don't tell other people it is worthless because it is "too expensive."

Regarding the schedule conflicts between the CAGcast and CAG Foreplay, weren't you guys going to record on Sunday and post the show on Monday like the CAGcast is doing now? I'm not sure whether you finish the actual list with previews at least the day before the show, but if you went back to that, you'd have a list for Cheapy and Wombat to use on Saturday and they wouldn't look like idiots thinking Castle Crashers came out this week. You'd be coming out around the same time while still being the early help they need to not look stupid.

More Braid talk...

You can see from my GamerCard that I've barely played this game. In fact I've only played the demo, but that is all it took for me to realize that this is THE game that I've always dreamed I could make. As a software engineer and aspiring video game creator I've always dreamed of making a platformer for the modern day. I was in the first story screen when I realized someone had already created my dream and done a much better job than I ever would. The music paired with that first text moved me in a way that I never would have dreamed possible in a game, let alone a simple platformer. I immedately fell in love with the game and hated it simultaneously. Opening that first door and actually playing that first world made me just love it.

However, the $15 dollars still seemed too high for me. Part of that might have been the fear that additional worlds opened the possibility that the demo level was just a fluke of a perfect creation and the rest of the game would taint that. Part of it was my aversion to digital only games. Part of it was just that $15 seems like a lot to me.

Luckily my wife has none of the hangups that I did about price. When it comes to games if she is excited by the game the price is worth it.

I want to finish up the Orange Box before I start Braid, but I can honestly say that I have not been this excited to expirience a game in a long time.

[quote name='otherland']It's only worth less to you. When you buy a game or a movie you don't own the content. Sure you CAN do anything you want with it, but laws are in place to prevent you from copying it or altering it or distributing it. Physical packaging is merely an illusion tricking you into thinking you own something that you are just renting forever. Also, I find the argument of "being able to sell the game on the grey market" a bit faulty as well. First what about the owners who choose not to sell games? Sure it's a choice but the fact they have a disk is irrelevent to the game play. Secondly, by feeding the grey market, you are only hurting publisher and developers which then in turn may lead to increased MSRPs.

"Worth" is a subjective value with no SI units attached, therefore time is a poor measurement of value. People use it because it's simple and doesn't tax the mind. It's easier to think a 50 hour game is worth 10 times a 5 hour game. And ti much easier to assume a shine box is worth a buch of 1's and 0's. If price to too high for you, that is perfectly fine. Just don't tell other people it is worthless because it is "too expensive."[/QUOTE]

I meant WORTH LESS with the space not that it's worthless, denoting no worth. I just can't even begin to express my level of disgust at your renting argument for discs you shill. You're probably the type of person who thinks Sonny Bono was right in what he did by moving the Public Domain time up when the copyright on Mickey Mouse was about to expire.
Let me guess also. You're a full on proponent of digital downloading all right? Can you truly imagine the magnitude of jobs cut by this? Also here's a news flash, the PRICE won't go down with it. It will stay rock solid even if they're making a lot more money that way. We also never see any real sales or deals. Enjoy NEVER seeing an anthology hitting the download scene for games. I don't even think I need to get into the idea of so many things going to digital distribution and the 1984 style complications that would ensue with so quickly deleting information and molding one's mind into what you see fit.
As for you saying back up is bullshit no it's not. It's determined permissible by Fair Use.
edit: Correction you did space sorry. Ignore the first sentence.

I forgot to add that the Pinball and Golf games are a rip. Seriously dude consider the amount of programming time that it really took to create those as opposed to that marble game on XBLA for the same price. How many more levels are on that compared to the amount of Pinball tables and Golf courses on those respective games. Then the company has the NERVE to charge more for the additional stuff when they programmed little to begin with. Those add-on's should be FREE! X-(

[quote name='Sarang01']I meant WORTH LESS with the space not that it's worthless, denoting no worth. I just can't even begin to express my level of disgust at your renting argument for discs you shill. You're probably the type of person who thinks Sonny Bono was right in what he did by moving the Public Domain time up when the copyright on Mickey Mouse was about to expire.
Let me guess also. You're a full on proponent of digital downloading all right? Can you truly imagine the magnitude of jobs cut by this? Also here's a news flash, the PRICE won't go down with it. It will stay rock solid even if they're making a lot more money that way. We also never see any real sales or deals. Enjoy NEVER seeing an anthology hitting the download scene for games. I don't even think I need to get into the idea of so many things going to digital distribution and the 1984 style complications that would ensue with so quickly deleting information and molding one's mind into what you see fit.
As for you saying back up is bullshit no it's not. It's determined permissible by Fair Use.
edit: Correction you did space sorry. Ignore the first sentence.

I forgot to add that the Pinball and Golf games are a rip. Seriously dude consider the amount of programming time that it really took to create those as opposed to that marble game on XBLA for the same price. How many more levels are on that compared to the amount of Pinball tables and Golf courses on those respective games. Then the company has the NERVE to charge more for the additional stuff when they programmed little to begin with. Those add-on's should be FREE! X-([/quote]

Your so quick to use 1984 as aguement. There should be a Godwin's Law for 1984 as well where you automatically lose the arguement if you bring it up. I never said backups were...ahem... "bullshit". I make back ups, and I know they are permissible. Your bringing them up with provocation without address my other issue of owning a psychical copy implies I am correct. And you are correct, I have no problem with your particular example of moving Public Domain (ie the Minkey Mouse). Why do people like you feel entitled to IP jsut because certain time has passed? I assume you are against the expended copyright on Mickey Mouse. Is this because you are against ALL copyrights. or jsut in this case? What are you thoughts on Peter Pan? recently the British Govt voted to extend the copyright of Peter Pan preventing it from falling into Public Domain. why? because the royalities goes to a chidlrens hospital (as per Barry's will statrted). Are you against this extension as well? Or is this ok because it is for a "good" cause? Why shouldn't inventors reap the benefit of their creations, etc. But this has gotten far past the point I WAS trying to make.

I am talking about quality. I am NOT saying the digital distribution is the solution. I am not saying the it will either create jobs nor cost jobs (and unless you can show data otherwise, you are just guessing). I am NOT saying Digital distribution with decreasing prcing. I am not arguing for nor against digital distribution. I personally like the shiny packaging and all. I never said nor implied any of these points. All I am saying is the holding a shiny disc in a pretty package is no more owing a game than having it on your harddrive, and that worth is not a function of tangibility nor time. It's all about experience.

I will grant you that Golf and Pinball are a waste of monies, but then that is true of everything. You have to remove the chaff from the wheat.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Regarding the schedule conflicts between the CAGcast and CAG Foreplay, weren't you guys going to record on Sunday and post the show on Monday like the CAGcast is doing now? I'm not sure whether you finish the actual list with previews at least the day before the show, but if you went back to that, you'd have a list for Cheapy and Wombat to use on Saturday and they wouldn't look like idiots thinking Castle Crashers came out this week. You'd be coming out around the same time while still being the early help they need to not look stupid.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. They're recording on Sunday evenings, so we should be able to get a decent list of what's coming out for them to use. The only problem there is we don't catch some of the downloads until a few days later.

[quote name='mrs. shipwreck']Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. They're recording on Sunday evenings, so we should be able to get a decent list of what's coming out for them to use. The only problem there is we don't catch some of the downloads until a few days later.[/quote]

If you came out with the show on the weekend, previewing the next week's releases, that'd work quite well. Downloadable games can be covered from the prior week without a big ado, because unlike retail games, they don't have sales and specials upon release so consumers have time to mull over their decision (or even play demos, that's what they're there for).

So, have you guys adjusted to the whole lookin-at-each-other-while-recording set-up yet? Sure, sitting across from each other rather than cheek-to-cheek you'll need to act more attentive, but you can be more lax in your personal hygiene duties. It's a fair trade-off!

Hey, Ships! I love the show, but I also love the show getting off topic. I think that you should do more shows like it.

I think its safe to say that most of the people who listen to the show are part of the gaming enthusiast crowd, but perhaps you have information that states otherwise. I think it's great to cover all of the games, but I sometimes find myself wondering if a game like The Cheetah Girls really needs to be discussed and explained any length of time, and to save that time for other discussions and more "important" releases.

Perhaps the biggest releases each week should be talked about at a greater length, and the less important games are more-or-less just listed off, a quick mention about the game and then on to the next title.

I really like hearing about the releases, but after this week's show, I really enjoyed listening to some of the off-topic and non-gaming release discussion, as well. I think that you should dedicate more time to these discussions. It's just my two cents.

Anyway, keep up the good work! And kudos to Ship for the Strong Bad "The System is Down" song at the end.

Ooo, DLC seems to have stirred a pinch of controversy into the cauldron of foreplay. I'm not totally understanding why some people defend $15 for DLable games -if it's worth it to you, great, go for it! Buy Braid, enjoy it for a couple of hours. If you're more like me and time playing is ONE of the factors you consider when buying a game, fine. It almost seems like some of your are total DLC Fanboys while the rest of you are DLC haters. There's more to a game than just enjoying it - there's a very subjective enjoyment per dollar paid. That's why gamestop and goozex flourish - there are tons of people willing to pay $15 for a game that would never have paid $50 for it. Fun divided by price is the key.

And as soon as I figure out an equation to calculate that, I'll let you know.*

*J/K - I fully realize my tastes are not everyone's. No blasters, no blasters!

[quote name='otherland']Your so quick to use 1984 as aguement. There should be a Godwin's Law for 1984 as well where you automatically lose the arguement if you bring it up. I never said backups were...ahem... "bullshit". I make back ups, and I know they are permissible. Your bringing them up with provocation without address my other issue of owning a psychical copy implies I am correct. And you are correct, I have no problem with your particular example of moving Public Domain (ie the Minkey Mouse). Why do people like you feel entitled to IP jsut because certain time has passed? I assume you are against the expended copyright on Mickey Mouse. Is this because you are against ALL copyrights. or jsut in this case? What are you thoughts on Peter Pan? recently the British Govt voted to extend the copyright of Peter Pan preventing it from falling into Public Domain. why? because the royalities goes to a chidlrens hospital (as per Barry's will statrted). Are you against this extension as well? Or is this ok because it is for a "good" cause? Why shouldn't inventors reap the benefit of their creations, etc. But this has gotten far past the point I WAS trying to make.

I will grant you that Golf and Pinball are a waste of monies, but then that is true of everything. You have to remove the chaff from the wheat.[/QUOTE]

I'm not opposed to copyright and having people make their money. As for Mickey Mouse I thought the extension was ridiculous. For Peter Pan as well. I think copyrights should be exist at MAX 20 years after the owner of said copyright has died. Having a product or idea hitting the Public Domain as such is VERY beneficial to society as a whole. It enriches it truly.
Also if copyright's were extended indefinitely back from way back we'd have few BIG movies, like the nice whole package, just because of score costs and it costing you to use a running track to shoot on(Akira Kurosawa). I think Hollywood sours me on it more than anything because of their hypocracy. I mean they bitch about all this IP and have it extended when they ROUTINELY pilfer from Public Domain. Note my scores notation above. I mean there's one particular score it seems they almost ALWAYS trot out for thrillers. It's probably by Beethoven or Mozart.

[quote name='Sarang01']I'm not opposed to copyright and having people make their money. As for Mickey Mouse I thought the extension was ridiculous. For Peter Pan as well. I think copyrights should be exist at MAX 20 years after the owner of said copyright has died. Having a product or idea hitting the Public Domain as such is VERY beneficial to society as a whole. It enriches it truly.[/quote]

Like those super high-quality dollar DVDs at WalMart!

[quote name='mrs. shipwreck']Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. They're recording on Sunday evenings, so we should be able to get a decent list of what's coming out for them to use. The only problem there is we don't catch some of the downloads until a few days later.[/quote]
They'd probably be fine with the major releases that have been announced, so they can correct themselves the following week if anything else pops up.

[quote name='Sarang01']I'm not opposed to copyright and having people make their money. As for Mickey Mouse I thought the extension was ridiculous. For Peter Pan as well. I think copyrights should be exist at MAX 20 years after the owner of said copyright has died. Having a product or idea hitting the Public Domain as such is VERY beneficial to society as a whole. It enriches it truly.
Also if copyright's were extended indefinitely back from way back we'd have few BIG movies, like the nice whole package, just because of score costs and it costing you to use a running track to shoot on(Akira Kurosawa). I think Hollywood sours me on it more than anything because of their hypocracy. I mean they bitch about all this IP and have it extended when they ROUTINELY pilfer from Public Domain. Note my scores notation above. I mean there's one particular score it seems they almost ALWAYS trot out for thrillers. It's probably by Beethoven or Mozart.[/quote]

Copyright for IP like cartoon characters are TOTALLY different that patents on products. Having Mickey Mouse in the public domain does not benefit civilization in any way, in my opinion. While an invention (ie drugs) very MUCH need to be public domain after their set amount of time. I am suggesting that IP copyright automatically extend forever. I am saying that if the creator contiunually renews his copyright or states a contunual copyright after his death it hould be allowed. If you do nothing, then is falls into public doman after they 14 or so years.

bread's done
Back