80gb $399.99 PS3 Now Available at BBy

Maybe in store it could be ymmv cheaper I guess if they still have any in stock, but online they only offer 80gb.

Look, it's the 60GB / 80GB PS3 situation all over again. :wall:

60GB PS3 w/full BC, w/o Motorstorm, $499.99.
80GB PS3 w/limited BC, w/Motorstorm, $499.99.

Sony, why won't you learn? :wall:

I have a birthday coming up next month and if they have a $300 model come soon.. well, they will have a sale and I will have a birthday present :)

The 40/80gb systems are the same, right? (Minus the 40gb difference)

[quote name='lilboo']

The 40/80gb systems are the same, right? (Minus the 40gb difference)[/quote]

No BC on the 40, Limited BC on the 80... at least as far as I know...

Sony seems to prefer a product lineup of the quarter type strategy for the PS3.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='daminion']No BC on the 40, Limited BC on the 80... at least as far as I know... Sony seems to prefer a product lineup of the quarter type strategy for the PS3.[/quote]Not correct.

This "new" 80GB is the same chassis as the 40GB, without any BC. It just has a larger 80GB drive shoved in it.

The "previous" 80GB in the Motorstorm bundle, as well as the one in the MGS4 bundle, those both have limited BC.

Uh, you guys realize that this 80GB model doesn't have backwards compatibility, right? This isn't the same 80GB that was packaged with MGS4.

I think it's worth mentioning that there will be a 160gb PS3 version coming out in November for $499.99. It will include Uncharted and PAIN psn voucher, but of course no backward compatibility and no card reader and only 2 usb ports.

[quote name='FatBoyInside']I think it's worth mentioning that there will be a 160gb PS3 version coming out in November for $499.99.[/QUOTE]

True. But I think it's best to get a model and make a CHEAPER version :nottalking:

Hell, $300 X360 is possible at 60gb.. why not a 40gb PS3 at $300 too?

[quote name='shrike4242']Not correct.

This "new" 80GB is the same chassis as the 40GB, without any BC. It just has a larger 80GB drive shoved in it.

The "previous" 80GB in the Motorstorm bundle, as well as the one in the MGS4 bundle, those both have limited BC.[/quote]

That's strage, I wonder why BB is saying it does have BC?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8982988&type=product&id=1218005635152

Sony - PlayStation 3 (80GB)

Model: 98013 | SKU: 8982988

Product Features
  • Next-generation gaming
    Delivers high-definition entertainment consisting of fast processing speeds and dazzling graphics.
  • 80GB internal hard drive
    Provides vast amounts of storage space for game saves, media and more.
  • Cell Broadband Engine
    Supplies extremely powerful parallel processing for enhanced performance.
  • Blu-ray Disc format
    Stores up to five times more data than DVDs, offering more room for graphics and gaming functionality.
  • Backward compatibility
    Lets you play PlayStation 2 and PlayStation games, DVDs and CDs, so you can merge all of your entertainment into one machine.

!! Time to send them a complaint and we can all snag some free PS3s and/or Best Buy Gift cards :whee:

If that model was fully PS2 BC, then I'd pick it up for $400

[quote name='Napegator']That's strage, I wonder why BB is saying it does have BC?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8982988&type=product&id=1218005635152

Sony - PlayStation 3 (80GB)

Model: 98013 | SKU: 8982988

Product Features
  • Next-generation gaming
    Delivers high-definition entertainment consisting of fast processing speeds and dazzling graphics.
  • 80GB internal hard drive
    Provides vast amounts of storage space for game saves, media and more.
  • Cell Broadband Engine
    Supplies extremely powerful parallel processing for enhanced performance.
  • Blu-ray Disc format
    Stores up to five times more data than DVDs, offering more room for graphics and gaming functionality.
  • Backward compatibility
    Lets you play PlayStation 2 and PlayStation games, DVDs and CDs, so you can merge all of your entertainment into one machine.
[/QUOTE]

Sony themselves say no PS2 BC.

[quote name='sonystyle.com']
Note: This model will not play PlayStation® 2 games, but is backwards compatible with PS one® games.
[/quote]

[quote name='lilboo']True. But I think it's best to get a model and make a CHEAPER version :nottalking:

Hell, $300 X360 is possible at 60gb.. why not a 40gb PS3 at $300 too?[/quote]
sony can't afford to do that. unlike the 360, the ps3 includes a blu ray player. the 360 also has no wireless connection, which is sold separately for an additional 100 dollars (of course there are cheaper alternatives). there are obvious reasons why the 360 is cheaper in cost.

Yeah, I think Sony already stated there will be no pricedrop on PS3s this year....but retailers can always do their own markdowns on discontinued models.

There are always instances of typos and misprints from BestBuy's website descriptions, so don't be fooled about the PS2 b/c. Read their fineprint.

BB probably listed the BC as an error on the newer 80gb. Wouldn't make sense for them to sell it for so low when the motorstorm + mgs bundles were going for $499. The games themselves aren't worth an extra $100.

Seriously though, I don't know what's going on at Sony. Even though the 40gb ps3s should've never existed, people could just upgrade the HDD for the 40gb models if they wish!

[quote name='fatez']sony can't afford to do that. unlike the 360, the ps3 includes a blu ray player. the 360 also has no wireless connection, which is sold separately for an additional 100 dollars (of course there are cheaper alternatives). there are obvious reasons why the 360 is cheaper in cost.[/quote]

They can, but they won't.

They're already taking a loss per console sold, they could if they really wanted to.

[quote name='lilboo']At least give us a $400 bundle :wall:[/QUOTE]

I'm still kicking myself for not jumping on that $100 walmart giftcard/bestbuy pricematch deal during the MGS4 bundle debut. So much regret...

Best Buy has to be wrong. Regarding price, Sony is probably just breaking even while MS is making profit at their current prices.

So when I do get a PS3 it looks like fleabay. BC = a must for me because I already have a XBox taking up the space since Microsoft fucked up their BC, and I don't want a PS2 around as well.

I thought there was only going to be 1 SKU, but noooo, Sony has to bring out a 160gb. It just gets more and more confusing. So basically, there's a 80gb with no BC for $400, and 160gb with no BC and uncharted bundled in for $500. Meh.

[quote name='pinoyunggoy']I thought there was only going to be 1 SKU, but noooo, Sony has to bring out a 160gb. It just gets more and more confusing. So basically, there's a 80gb with no BC for $400, and 160gb with no BC and uncharted bundled in for $500. Meh.[/quote]
You clearly stated what the SKU's contain yourself, what's so confusing? And hey, if MS did not release the Elite, we wouldn't have ever seen Sony release a 160gb.

I wonder if the retail value of Uncharted will hold out 'til November. That plus PAIN psn seem too stale and ancient for my personal taste. I would rather prefer an up and coming title (LittleBigPlanet or Resistance 2?) and maybe PixelJunkie Eden or Fat Princess on the psn.

Brace yourself for the marvels of the PlayStation 3 complete with 80GB hard disk storage

LOL

anyone see that you will be able to play NETFLIX movies for free using the xbox come oct.....

299 for an xbox for 99 for the thing that allows you to play them on your tv.... like getting the xbox for 200

[quote name='slidecage']Brace yourself for the marvels of the PlayStation 3 complete with 80GB hard disk storage

LOL

anyone see that you will be able to play NETFLIX movies for free using the xbox come oct.....

299 for an xbox for 99 for the thing that allows you to play them on your tv.... like getting the xbox for 200[/QUOTE]

What the fuck are you babbling about?

This SKU frenzy is crazy on BOTH sides. lol I have no regrets for getting the 80gb Motorstorm bundle. I would honestly be confused as hell if I was a next gen console noob looking for my next console.

[quote name='newlu']The new 80GB PlayStation 3 DOES NOT have BC.

/Thread[/quote]

A bunch of people already said this, and I don't see how it ends the thread...

[quote name='slidecage']Brace yourself for the marvels of the PlayStation 3 complete with 80GB hard disk storage

LOL

299 for an xbox for 99 for the thing that allows you to play them on your tv.... like getting the xbox for 200[/quote]
You still have to pay Netflix monthly fees... Also, you could stream Netflix already on 360 anyways... I think I heard you could on PS3 too if you know what you're doing (technically savy).

I know we are going off topic with this, but the Netflix on 360 is free and included with your Live subscription. The quality of movies available is yet to be seen though. I don't expect much personally, but I always like free.

[quote name='lilboo']So does this mean the 40gb model will drop to $300? :shock:?[/QUOTE]Nope, the 40GB already sold out at most stores in my area. Some stores MIGHT have extras and may do a small cut to clear it (or bundle a game).

[quote name='sixspeednissan']I know we are going off topic with this, but the Netflix on 360 is free and included with your Live subscription. The quality of movies available is yet to be seen though. I don't expect much personally, but I always like free.[/quote]

From everything I've read you need to have an active Netflix subscription in order to stream the movies directly to a 360.

[quote name='st0nedpenguin']From everything I've read you need to have an active Netflix subscription in order to stream the movies directly to a 360.[/quote]

Exactly. That is what I have read everywhere, as well. It would make little sense for Netflix to just let people rent movies for nothing.

lol, i can imagine the confusion with casual gamers with the $399.99 version and the $499.99 version.
:lol:

[quote name='spencermsh']I just got done today preordering my 80gb core PS3 from sonystyle.com. I essentially got my system for $250 with their credit card deal they have. I hope it ships early, I heard that stores can sell them once they get them.[/QUOTE]

True. However, at least at Best Buy, a minimum quantity is being held for an upcoming ad; the first one in Sept., I think.

This doesn't look like such a hot deal. I wonder why they keep cutting the USB ports down to two. The console is not getting any smaller, so I think it's just cheap.

Since day one, both MS and Sony have been bumblefucking these console revisions.

Has anyone seen it at this price in stores? Sucks to here this nonbundled 80G has no BC. HoweverI can definately use more memory as my 40G seems to be running out, good thing I bought a replacement plan

[quote name='CaoPi']Has anyone seen it at this price in stores? Sucks to here this nonbundled 80G has no BC. HoweverI can definately use more memory as my 40G seems to be running out, good thing I bought a replacement plan[/QUOTE]

You should buy a bigger harddrive and put the old one on eBay.

[quote name='sixspeednissan']I know we are going off topic with this, but the Netflix on 360 is free and included with your Live subscription. The quality of movies available is yet to be seen though. I don't expect much personally, but I always like free.[/quote]
Not true at all. You must have a Netflix subscription as I stated. I guess MS is accomplishing what they wanted to do... confuse people into thinking Netflix is free... damn MS.

I think I'd be OK to get this at $400...but, I'm a bit reluctant. When will we know about any holiday bundles? (for all systems)

I'd hate to find out that I could wait 2 more months and get a bundle. :wall:

bread's done
Back