* * * * * 1 votes

Heavy Rain Discussion Thread

#31 NamPaehc   !Anihc Ni Hsan CAGiversary!   4965 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 02 November 2008 - 02:11 PM

From Neogaf:

This game is just amazing. The presentation is in French (from Micromania expo in France), but some features of the game should be translated in English in a few minutes.

video : http://www.gamekyo.c....ion-video.html

mirror (faster ?) : http://www.gamekyo.c....eo-mirror.html

>>DIRECT LINK >>

some features of the demo :

- In this demo, the player takes the role of a young journalist who is investigating on several girls' disappearances, she goes to a house of a taxidermist who is suspected of killing these women. In this presentation, the Producer of the game shows 2 different ways to finish this demo, there are lots of different ways to get through the story.

- Multiple view camera system, not always behind the girl.

- The demo is fully playable, no cut-scenes, the player can control the girl at any time.

- The Sixaxis motion sensor is used in the game to make different moves (open a window, raise or hit on an object, etc.).

- It is possible to hear what is happening in the mind of the character, so the player knows the different choices that are available.

- No loadings in the game!

- Backgrounds are fully interactive (all objects can be used, all doors can be opened, etc.).

- Very interesting Split Screen System to keep an eye on the murderer, control the character at the same time.

- The player has to maintain several buttons to stay hidden, uncomfortable situation for the player to reproduce the same stress in the game.

- Quick time events for some action scenes.

#32 NamPaehc   !Anihc Ni Hsan CAGiversary!   4965 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 12 December 2008 - 08:07 PM

New impressions.

There are a few others links to other sites with new stuff too but I don't have them right now.

#33 NamPaehc   !Anihc Ni Hsan CAGiversary!   4965 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 13 December 2008 - 07:07 PM

New Screens, click here.Posted Image

BRAND new interview. Enjoy??

#34 Vanigan   V.V.V.V.V. CAGiversary!   1171 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 14 December 2008 - 02:53 AM

Yep, adventure games never died, they were just waiting for the next technological leap to make them fresh again.

I think other companies could make something along the level of Heavy Rain, albeit without all the extra realism. By going with stylized, maybe even cartoony, characters as they have in the past, but worked with big branching scripts, we could see a resurgence of them.

Oh, and I'm working on my 3D animation finals right now and those shots of the 3D face models actually helped me a lot in figuring out how to handle the detail, especially with things like the hairline.

#35 stormrider81   Banned Banned   51 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

stormrider81

Posted 14 December 2008 - 10:46 PM

This game has my interest. Any word on a release date?

#36 Vanigan   V.V.V.V.V. CAGiversary!   1171 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 14 December 2008 - 11:25 PM

Likely Q4 2009 to Q2 2010 unless they're farther than they're letting on.

Sony has a habit of showing games way before they're released.

#37 Fragonard   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   564 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Fragonard

Posted 15 December 2008 - 12:04 AM

If this game is good, it alone will be worth owning a PS3 for me. Please god, let it be good.

#38 happy   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1486 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 15 December 2008 - 12:36 AM

Likely Q4 2009 to Q2 2010 unless they're farther than they're letting on.

Sony has a habit of showing games way before they're released.

I always thought it was first half of 2009 for some reason. They should release it over the summer and learn from this year that new non-shooter IPs do not belong in the fall.

#39 NamPaehc   !Anihc Ni Hsan CAGiversary!   4965 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 25 December 2008 - 04:05 PM

blog update from a few days ago:

Hello everyone! My name is Guillaume de Fondaumiere, co-CEO at Quantic Dream and executive producer of Heavy Rain.
Posted Image
Last month, a group of roughly 35 journalists from around the world came to visit Quantic Dream. Following our first presentation of Heavy Rain in Leipzig in August, we wanted to be able to share our passion for the game and reveal in particular how such a massive project comes to life. When you play a game such as this, it is difficult to really understand how much effort goes into its production. Our hope was that through such a visit, we might be able to educate gamers a bit more on how a game is crafted and how important artistic direction is to ensure a consistent experience from the first to the last minute.
Following a quick tour of our studio, David Cage, Quantic’s CEO and creative director on Heavy Rain, gathered media in our motion capture studio located on the ground floor of our building. We had decided to present them the complete production process, from game design and initial concept art up until the final integration of all elements within one scene in real-time. The presentation lasted roughly two hours, in particular because we had prepared a number of making-of type videos and real-time code on PS3 illustrating the different steps of 3D set production, actor casting, 3D character creation, and Virtual Actor performance. At the end, we explored together a never before shown scene of the game live on PLAYSTATION 3 in which all elements had been put together.
Posted Image

I think the most fascinating aspect of Heavy Rain is the fact that more than 250 people are contributing to its making, all of which are working under the artistic supervision of David Cage, His attention to detail is really fascinating…I am sitting in the back of our studio while he is passionately talking about our project. More than anyone else in the team, Heavy Rain is his baby. For the past two and a half years, I can clearly feel how proud he is to show how his vision is coming to life.
For the end of the tour, we had prepared a little surprise for our guests: to practice live on stage and become a Virtual Actor in the game. We equipped two journalists with body suits and reflectors. The stage had been dressed with set elements: a door, two chairs, one table, a cupboard. David briefed the two journalists on the scene, explaining to each of them what their role were, the starting point of the scene, and what they were supposed to say and play.
Once fully equipped the two casually entered the stage. The rest of the crowd had assembled around the set, in a similar casual fashion. However, when David started to use his firm directing voice to ask for silence and pronounced the first syllabus of the typical movie-style check-up words “ready to roll. Rolling and….ACTION” we virtually felt the attention of our journalists-turned-actors spinning from vaguely alert to 100% focused. The crowd was holding its breath, as all assembled immediately sensed the change. David had decided to shoot the scene in three distinct steps. The first shot was repeated twice as David gave more direction to its actors after initial takes. The second and third shots however were played exactly how David had envisioned them. Our actors were “in their roles” and did actually play quite professionally. A big round of applause followed the last “…and CUT” words of David at the end of the third shot.
This concluded the presentation and the rest of the tour was spent answering interviews or casually discussing with the journalists what they had seen before.
Posted Image
When the game was unveiled at Games Convention in Leipzig, we were obviously delighted at what a great response we received. With the event that day, we wanted to take the unique opportunity to let journalists and gamers around the world take a look behind the scenes at how Heavy Rain is made. It is a very special feeling to see at the precise moment when everything comes together and is being assembled to create what we believe will be a unique interactive experience. We hope that we were able to communicate how much innovation and artistic effort goes into its production and look forward to showing you more of the actual game in the coming months.

#40 Thomas96   I am Thomaticus! CAGiversary!   6078 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Thomas96

Posted 25 December 2008 - 05:08 PM

They basically added a feature that I have been saying for a while a game should implement.

Dieing doesn't end the game.

Which I basically said in my old thread that was totally bashed on:
http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=173170

For RPGs, and games like Heavy Rain that's a good feature, but for an action game like Halo, or Tomb raider dieing not ending the game might not work. Knowing that your character is so vulnerable will change the way that people approach the game, definitely will make the game (heavy rain) more immersive. However the only issue that I have with real dying is that you make a mistake and you have to pay for it throughout the entire game. A fix for that would be for that character to perhaps be unavailable for a while, maybe he or she has to go to the hospital and maybe some chapters later gets better and released -but it has to be a woven into the main story. I would love to see an in game graphics movie made as a special feature for Heavy Rain, where you can watch the game like a movie after you beat it.

I looked through the link to the old thread, you know you try to discuss something intelligently and all you get are jokes, and immature comments...

#41 NamPaehc   !Anihc Ni Hsan CAGiversary!   4965 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 04:59 AM

There are a few new screens and artwork mixed in here.

#42 DarkNessBear   CABear CAGiversary!   6478 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

DarkNessBear

Posted 07 January 2009 - 06:59 AM

This is my most anticipated game, can't wait!

#43 DarkKenpachi   Nupe 4 Life CAGiversary!   1239 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

DarkKenpachi

Posted 07 January 2009 - 06:00 PM

the more I hear about this game, the more I am intrigued. I can honestly say now that I can not wait.

#44 NamPaehc   !Anihc Ni Hsan CAGiversary!   4965 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 06:53 PM

PSblog says the next Qore "issue" should have some heavy rain info. But from the sound of things, it may just be some mo-cap details.

In Paris, Veronica Belmont searches for answers about Heavy Rain as she dons the mo-cap suit at Quantic Dream where they aspire to redefine “interactive cinema” with this film-noir adventure title.

#45 odintal   Griefer CAGiversary!   108 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 11 January 2009 - 05:29 PM

i'm generally confused because i haven't played Indigo Prophecy.

are these games like the old school Dragon's Lair game?

#46 creid   Dead For The Summer CAGiversary!   6779 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Posted 11 January 2009 - 09:58 PM

During the cutscenes, yes. The rest of the game is different.

#47 Vanigan   V.V.V.V.V. CAGiversary!   1171 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 11 January 2009 - 10:14 PM

Actually, David Cage, the director has said he's basically turning as much as he can that would have been non-interactive cutscenes into gameplay.

Yes, in theory it's similar to say, Dragon's Lair, or perhaps classic adventure games. However, it's best to think of this as the next evolution of adventure games. The game isn't just a series of QTEs like in Dragon's Lair or similar games, and it's not just point and click like in adventure games. Your choices matter in the game, it matters to an extent where you don't just die, or can't progress when you make a wrong decision, there are now many outcomes and game segments between them.

For example, as you go searching through the serial killer's house, you can choose to search quickly and recklessly, but that might get you discovered later on if you knock stuff over or leave things on/open.

#48 odintal   Griefer CAGiversary!   108 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 06:31 AM

sounds like i need to play IP.

i'm not much for QTE but i love adventure games.

#49 near   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   72 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 05:22 PM

New artwork

Art direction is fucking awesome.

#50 zenprime   A cat is fine too CAGiversary!   1144 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 05:57 PM

Whoo! I so want this game. I'm currently not feeling "it" with Silent Hill 5 so I have high hopes of Heavy Rain having the touch.

#51 Richlough   ... CAGiversary!   3738 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:09 AM

I hope there is some good E3 coverage of this .

#52 NamPaehc   !Anihc Ni Hsan CAGiversary!   4965 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:38 AM

I hope there is some good E3 coverage of this .

Me too. But we won't have to wait that long. There was a quote from a PSBlog writer stating a new interview should be up around the 22nd.

#53 dimeadz   Cagtastic CAGiversary!   185 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 13 May 2009 - 10:27 PM

I enjoyed Indigo Prophecy. This is one i will be watching out for.

#54 NamPaehc   !Anihc Ni Hsan CAGiversary!   4965 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 19 May 2009 - 05:11 PM

New details should be released over the next few days.

Here is an early "teaser image" of some characters.

Posted Image

#55 NamPaehc   !Anihc Ni Hsan CAGiversary!   4965 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 20 May 2009 - 07:30 PM

ok so my joystiq preview pieces are now being unlocked, though today's won't be done for a little while longer. Going to be giving some insights into the developers and the development leading up to this Friday with a hands on preview! Including a nice video...

Go ahead and cehck out the early parts HERE though.

#56 Richlough   ... CAGiversary!   3738 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:21 PM

ok so my joystiq preview pieces are now being unlocked, though today's won't be done for a little while longer. Going to be giving some insights into the developers and the development leading up to this Friday with a hands on preview! Including a nice video...

Go ahead and cehck out the early parts HERE though.

Are you a journalist ?

#57 NamPaehc   !Anihc Ni Hsan CAGiversary!   4965 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 22 May 2009 - 05:41 AM

New screens.

Neo vs Bishop?

Big joystiq reveil tomorrow.

#58 CoffeeEdge   Resident Communaut CAGiversary!   8536 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

Posted 22 May 2009 - 07:20 AM

Roll on, hype machine, roll on.

In my continued efforts to never let David Cage/Quantic Dream live down the "we have conquered the Uncanny Valley" comment, I present...some screens that don't look much different than any of the other best-looking games this gen:
Spoiler

Ah yes, each one looks just like a photograph. :roll:

I really hope that some interviewer hold's Cage's feet to the fire about that comment, someday. You can't say shit like he did, and back it up with something that looks this much like any other top-of-the-line videogame graphics.

The gameplay and story in this had better be fucking incredible...

#59 Vanigan   V.V.V.V.V. CAGiversary!   1171 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 22 May 2009 - 10:13 AM

The demo shown a few months ago looked better actually, the one with the journalist in the crazy taxidermist killer's house.

And honestly, if you forget the brash statements and take the game for what it is, it still has the potential to be a fucking incredible game based on what he wants to do with the gameplay.

So long as that's good, I can deal with graphics that don't live up to some stupid statements.

People need to not get so hung up on stupid marketing hyperbole.

#60 MisterBee   Slave To DOTA2 CAGiversary!   922 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 22 May 2009 - 03:22 PM

After watching the GTTV stuff this morning, I don't think this game is for me. The style looks cool but something about the gameplay just doesn't appeal to me.

Also the whole stripping scene really didn't click with me. It probably makes more sense in the context of the game, but just cut out and put in a trailer makes it really seem out of place and almost like its there to sell teenage boys on the game.