The ultimate MP3 player?

Full_Throttle

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
The time has come... To awaken him... I go - uhh, damn, too musch Dethklok. The time has come for me to think about a new MP3 player.

I've been a faithful Cowon consumer with the X5L, after which I purchased me current U3 as a 'short term' player. Good thing it's short term 'cause 4GB just isn't enough, even using horrid 72kBps OGG. I've been eyeing the D2, being greatly drawn by the expansion port and the fast-developing RockBox, but put off by touchscreen which you can't operate blindly.

I come to you as a /b/tard would come to 4chan for help in choosing a new high-cap player, be it flash (hicap a la SDHC) or HDD. Any ideas? Please refrain from iPods.

Regards,
Full_Throttle

[quote name='SteveMcQ']I think he wants a hummer. I could be wrong though.[/QUOTE]
lilboo is here to help.

These tend to last the longest.

boombox.jpg

My sister just lost her Zune 30, it fell into a kayaking creek, yesterday. She's looking for a new one herself. She's been looking at some of the Sansas but she'll probably end up with another Zune.

I have a Cowon iAudio G3 (one AA battery.. slick!), a 1st gen shuffle (still alive!), and a 10GB 2nd gen iPod (on battery #2 $24 online)...

Of all of them, I'm most impressed with anything solid state... having a Hard Drive decreases battery life and can inhibit great sound. I'd get one that accepts memory cards and just keep a flap of them attached to the player... and voila! No more missing your favorite tune on the road. Space is a premium on these things, even if you get the 80GB zune or the iPod equivalent.

I'm really close to turning my iPod 10GB into a solid-state drive with the adapter that's been floating around the 'tubes lately. Just throw in a 4 GB card, and I've got a 2nd Gen "fat nano". ;) It's funny... I had the Nomad Jukebox, and its firmware issues were _so_ bad, I almost didn't buy another mp3 player ever. ;) But the 10GB iPod was the shiznit.... and you can't kill this thing.

[quote name='Filbert']My sister just lost her Zune 30, it fell into a kayaking creek, yesterday. She's looking for a new one herself. She's been looking at some of the Sansas but she'll probably end up with another Zune.[/quote]

You sister went kayaking with a Zune? Does she have it all up there, or is she missing a few marbles?

No, we were all walking along a trail next to the creek. She stopped for a rest on a rock and that's when it fell in. I went in after it but had no luck finding it.

[quote name='GrimNecroWizard']Zune 80gb for sure. Everyone I know with a Zune likes it better than the iPod they had.[/QUOTE]

Still busitng out on my 30gb Zen. Love it and would not look back at Ipods and all their protection BS.

[quote name='Snake2715']Still busitng out on my 30gb Zen. Love it and would not look back at Ipods and all their protection BS.[/quote]

You mean hidden files? Yeah... that's some tough protection. ;) I've a bash script that fixes that in 40 lines.... heh.

I prefer the iPod's simplicity... and after the fiasco I had with the Zen Nomad, I've got one thing to say about creative's QA "they really put the Z in Quality."

There are a few lemons in everything. I wouldn't write of Creative because of one bad experince. My 512MB flash player (think the model is Muvo) is still going strong after 4 years of abuse in the gym and my 30GB vision M has had no problems in the 2 years or so I've used it in the office nearly every day and on trips.

There stuff is well reviewed and considered pretty reliable.

I can't understand why to this day the iPod can't get fucking FM radio or realtime EQ sliders. Everything else is pretty good, but two gross absenses makes me wonder if a bushel of apples fell on Steve Jobs head when he dreamt up this device.

Yeah, the FM kills it for me as I listen to FM a lot on my MP3 players. Fo rthe TV audio in the gym, listening to NPR at work etc.

[quote name='Mechafenris']You mean hidden files? Yeah... that's some tough protection. ;) I've a bash script that fixes that in 40 lines.... heh.

I prefer the iPod's simplicity... and after the fiasco I had with the Zen Nomad, I've got one thing to say about creative's QA "they really put the Z in Quality."[/QUOTE]

No what I dont like is the fact that I have to convert everything to AAC or whatever. Not for me. My zen will play almost all of it including AAC without conversion. Much, much simpler in my opinion.

[quote name='Snake2715']No what I dont like is the fact that I have to convert everything to AAC or whatever. Not for me. My zen will play almost all of it including AAC without conversion. Much, much simpler in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure iPods will play MP3s. I know I gave my girlfriend a bunch of mp3s that she listens to on her iPod Mini and she didn't have to convert them. Maybe they have changed it in newer model iPods, but I've not heard anything about it.

Now iTunes everything is in AAC and is a pain to convert unless it's one of the DRM free selections.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I'm pretty sure iPods will play MP3s. I know I gave my girlfriend a bunch of mp3s that she listens to on her iPod Mini and she didn't have to convert them. Maybe they have changed it in newer model iPods, but I've not heard anything about it.

Now iTunes everything is in AAC and is a pain to convert unless it's one of the DRM free selections.[/QUOTE]

Got to love the DRM, but cant blame them it keeps the ipods selling.

I prefer to use russia :')

bread's done
Back