So..I need help on what drumset to buy

snakelda

CAGiversary!
Feedback
33 (100%)
I want to learn an instrument and I want to play the Drums. The problem is,I have no clue anything about drums.Is there anything I should watch for when buying one?I'm not going to start some band but I want to get one that will let me learn some songs and play them.Is tehre a website to help me learn them?The only experience I have is RockBand and that is kind of why I want to play drums.Thank You.

You could always search google for "buying first drum kit" or something to that extent.

I'd actually suggest going to Guitar Center and trying out some drums. They have great prices and can answer all the questions you have. You can also check Musician's Friend (online counterpart to Guitar Center) and check out their reviews.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/complete-drum-sets-kits?N=100001+304831

I know the Tama Imperialstar ($800) is supposed to be pretty good.

buy something cheap until you're sure you want to commit the time needed to really learn it. No point in dropping a ton of cash on something that you'll use 3 times and then stop.

buy used. craigslist, classifieds, ebay, etc.

if buying new you've got to put in at least $700 or so to get a decent set including cymbals

Great starter kit!!! Blue 5-piece Pacific Drum set includes snare, 3 toms, hihat, crash/ride and bass. Will throw in indoor pads, practice drum pad, 2 sets of sticks and 2 books. Good condition.

0115040103060116032008082396a959b3cf09aef0eb0079a3.jpg

I found that on Craiglist.Do you think that's all I'll need without buying anything else?

I got some pretty cheap tama 5-piece (around $600 I think) at a local music store with shitty cymbals and then upgraded the cymbals to some kind of mid-rangeish zildjians (I think around $150 for a ride, crash, and hat set). I also replaced the heads with remos and got a new snare (not the whole drum, just the actual snare). That was over the course of a year or so though.

Then I quit playing them because they took up too much room...

But anyway, they were pretty nice for the price I guess, as if I really know anything about drums. If you don't really care a whole lot you can go for that set on craigslist. How much are they asking for it?

[quote name='snakelda']Great starter kit!!! Blue 5-piece Pacific Drum set includes snare, 3 toms, hihat, crash/ride and bass. Will throw in indoor pads, practice drum pad, 2 sets of sticks and 2 books. Good condition.

I found that on Craiglist.Do you think that's all I'll need without buying anything else?[/quote]

make sure it comes with bass pedal. and find out what brand/model those cymbals are. and how much is it?

[quote name='snakelda']Great starter kit!!! Blue 5-piece Pacific Drum set includes snare, 3 toms, hihat, crash/ride and bass. Will throw in indoor pads, practice drum pad, 2 sets of sticks and 2 books. Good condition.

0115040103060116032008082396a959b3cf09aef0eb0079a3.jpg

I found that on Craiglist.Do you think that's all I'll need without buying anything else?[/QUOTE]

Depends on the price. Just make sure to check it out like tehweezner said. If it seems good and complete and reasonably priced, then give it a shot. That way if you don't like it, you aren't out a ton of money.

For reference, I bought a Ludwig Accent Combo CS 5 piece kit for $450 and a Zildjian ZBT4 rock pack of cymbals with a free 18" crash for $230 at the end of 2006 from Musician's Friend. I've since upgraded the cymbals to a Zildjian ZHT4 rock pack with a free 18" crash for $248, normally $369. I upgraded all the heads, which for the toms is a little over $1 an inch and about $35-45 for the kick drum. Shit is definitely not cheap. I did start on a POS CB Drums kit, so I knew I wanted to keep playing before I threw down the big bucks.

I fucking love playing drums.

[quote name='snakelda']It was $220.[/QUOTE]

For that price, I'd say go for it. Definitely check its condition first, and also see what hardware (stands, mounts, throne) is included.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']For that price, I'd say go for it. Definitely check its condition first, and also see what hardware (stands, mounts, throne) is included.[/quote]

agreed. just make sure it comes with a throne and bass pedal. also wear earplugs when practicing. tinnitus is no fun

[quote name='hankmecrankme']For that price, I'd say go for it. Definitely check its condition first, and also see what hardware (stands, mounts, throne) is included.[/quote]

What should I look for?

[quote name='snakelda']What should I look for?[/QUOTE]

If you get everything in that picture, then you are in good shape. Just check out its condition. Look for cracks on the toms and kick drum, see if there's any rust, if anything is beat up, etc. You can easily replace all the tom heads, so don't worry about those too much. If anything squeaks, like the bass pedal or hi-hat stand, you can just hit it with some WD 40 and you're good.

From looking at that pic, you'll get a cymbal stand, a hi-hat stand, a throne, snare stand, and all the necessary hardware, like the floor tom legs and tom mounts. Also an indoor floor pads, practice pad, 2 sets of sticks, and 2 books included make it a better deal too. Books are extremely helpful in learning the basics.

bread's done
Back