Texas Instruments TI-84 Plus Graphing Calculator

refusedchaos

CAGiversary!
Feedback
272 (100%)
i need a deal on the Texas Instruments Texas Instruments TI-84 Plus Graphing Calculator....need it for my statistics class.

also, whats is the difference between that, the Texas Instruments TI-84 Plus Silver Edition Graphing Calculator, and the Texas Instruments TI-83 Plus Graphing Calculator?

thanks guys for your help!!!

Get the silver one, it's worth it in the long run...

(now I got a TI-89 Titanium and I miss my little TI-84 Plus Silver very much!)

Yup, the 84 has more ram and all, if you're willing to wait the extra couple seconds-minuetes for a calculation to go through, go cheap and get a 83. As for deals, I remember seeing the 84 Silver for $95.xx at Target today, reduced price (Not sure if its regional, YMMV). I believe office depot also has some Mail in rebate offers on their site for the 83 as well as the 84, as well as a 10% off all coupon.

[quote name='CYRiX']89 can basically do anything, but is not really allowed in classrooms.[/quote]

I've been told that the TI-89 is basically a portable version of Mathematica, which is neat, if true.

Personally, though, I prefer the TI-30X IIS. It replaced my graphing calculator years ago, and I've never gone back.

[quote name='CYRiX']89 can basically do anything, but is not really allowed in classrooms.[/quote]

Its YMMV on that, last year, I was in a math class where the prof allowed it, and then I didnt make my waitlist so I was forced into another math class taught by a prof that didnt. Go figure.

Best prices I found were $100 for the regular TI-84 Plus at Circuit City, and $115 for the silver version at Staples. It's up to you whether the extra processing speed and "coolness factor" are worth $15. If you really want to be frugal, though, you can always buy used.

[quote name='siderealshift']I've been told that the TI-89 is basically a portable version of Mathematica, which is neat, if true.[/quote]

That's a pretty good analogy. The TI-89 is pretty powerful and can solve any calculus problem with ease (which is why many high school calc teachers don't allow it).

Personally, though, I prefer the TI-30X IIS. It replaced my graphing calculator years ago, and I've never gone back.

I'm in the same boat - my calculator of choice is the TI-36X Solar. I'm not usually allowed to use a graphing calculator during tests, and I prefer to use computer software packages when doing homework, so a scientific calculator is much more practical for me. Plus, I never have to change the batteries. :)

Ti-89 is allowed for most classes for my major (Mechanical Engineering), I have a Ti - 84 Plus SE right now and it seen to do what I need it to do. You should try your local pawn shops for those calculator. They're usually really cheap there. I got mine 84 for like $40 and it was like new, came with every thing, Just test it out real good before purchase.

Office depot is running a deal. Gotta send in some rebates but you cant beat the price.

link:http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=874733

Texas Instruments® TI-83 Plus Graphing Calculator + small filler
$99.99 + $0.19 filler – $20 coupon – $25 MIR – $25 MIR = $30.18
Coupon code "31306705" (expires 9/9/08)

Texas Instruments® TI-84 Plus Graphing Calculator
$119.99 – $20 coupon – $25 MIR – $25 MIR = $49.99
Coupon code "31306705" (expires 9/9/08)

Texas Instruments® TI-84 Plus Silver Edition Graphing Calculator or
Texas Instruments® TI-84 Plus Silver Edition Graphing Calculator, Pink or
Texas Instruments® TI-84 Plus Silver Edition Graphing Calculator, Blaze Orange
$139.99 – 15% coupon ($21) – $25 MIR – $25 MIR = $68.99
Coupon code "91401917" (expires 9/15/08)

Texas Instruments® Nspire™ Graphing Calculator
$159.99 – $30 coupon – $25 MIR – $25 MIR = $79.99
Coupon code "76902528" (expires 12/31/08)

[quote name='video_gamer324']I'm in the same boat - my calculator of choice is the TI-36X Solar. I'm not usually allowed to use a graphing calculator during tests, and I prefer to use computer software packages when doing homework, so a scientific calculator is much more practical for me. Plus, I never have to change the batteries. :)[/quote]

Exactly. As I see it, the only reason to have a graphing calculator is if you need to do a lot of on-the-go matrix operations. That said, 99% of the people who regularly use a graphing calculator use it to add two numbers or divide a number by 10. :roll:

Those are some pretty good deals, yohsh, but I don't think I'll consider buying a graphing calculator until someone (probably TI, since they have such market dominance) decides to release one with:

• decent computing power,
  • a reasonable amount of memory (20 MB is not "huge"),
  • a good internal software package,
  • a good external software package (for syncing data or exporting graphs),
  • a rechargeable, replaceable battery (and a solar cell would be nice).
Until then, it's a good $10 solar scientific calculator and MATLAB for me.

bread's done
Back