- - - - -

The Killer Kowalski Memorial (and George Steele) Wrestling Thread

#241 JaytheGamefan   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4408 Posts   Joined 17.3 Years Ago  

JaytheGamefan

Posted 05 September 2008 - 03:08 AM

Impact thoughts -
This show largely sucked - it built up nothing for the PPV (which is just 1 1/2 weeks away) aside from adding the fourth guy to the PPV main event, and stating that the Lethal-Dutt match (which wasn't referenced outside of the card preview) is now a "Ladder of Love" match. Oh, and Bashir may face a referee. NO BUYS!~

This did a much better job of hyping up the Impact game, which came off as much more important than the PPV, and was shown in a bunch of hilarious ways - both intentional and unintentional. Storm saying he's too drunk to play games - fine, intentional comedy. Roode stating that the game will sell millions, Brother Ray appearing to be thinner than AJ in the game, and Roode-Shark Boy footage from the game being put side-by-side after a match that DW said wasn't supposed to have Shark Boy in it to begin with, DW saying it's the game WE'VE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR, and Kurt Angle RUNNING WILD at Gamestop in an ad claiming that the game has "all the wrestlers" - uninentional comedy gold.

The old vs. new guard stuff annoyed me throughout the show - each side just keeps repeating the same things, and the only part of it I liked was AJ's passion. Otherwise, the young guys just came off as a bunch of whiners, including Joe, who really complains a lot for a guy called THE MOST DESTRUCTIVE FORCE IN WRESTLING TODAY according to the PPV ad. That led me to think he'd be kicking ass, instead of whining. Then getting his ass kicked. The main event talking segment was effective - it got over Jarrett's return fairly well, and allowed Sting to express gratitude at the fans for not booing him.

ODB's bathroom skit was incredibly stupid, but I'm sure whoever wrote it loved it to death. I didn't like her trying to take off Raisha's face covering, and I really didn't like the announcers just calling it "a mask" - it made them and the company come off as incredibly ignorant. Bashir's promo about 9/11 bothered me in a similar manner, and I'm not a fan of his theme starting with the sound of a plane soaring overhead - the timing of them starting that, weeks before 9/11's seventh anniversary, is incredibly crass.

The Prince Justice Brotherhood-Beer Money match was full of comedy. Aside from the side-by-side thing after the match, they had the announcers act like Shark Boy had no idea he would be in this match and that it was announced as Super Eric teaming with Curry Man - which wasn't the case. All they did was show a "Beer Money, Inc. vs. PJB (not PB&J like I'd originally thought when I saw that graphic - which wouldn't been a more amusing match) graphic never specifying which part of the geek squad would wrestle. Lance and Rave LEAVING THEIR MARK on Curry Man got a chuckle out of me - thank goodness they cut away from that, but not before going to an upskirt shot of Christy.

AJ-Cage was good, but not very memorable aside from a few sequences in the match (like the leaping forearm>roll through from AJ>flying corkscrew elbow from Cage). Aside from the opening segment, which was executed fairly well by all involved, but dragged on and barely mentioned this match, there wasn't much mention of it on the show beyond it being the focus of one of a thousand video packages on the show. It didn't have much of a "main event feel" to it, but it was a good TV match I think it would've come off better if the video used to hype it up hadn't gotten lost in the shuffle during the show since there was so much history between (which TNA, to their credit, did a good job of explaining in about a minute).

The quick Beautiful People skits were amusing, and Kip as their sidekick is awesome so far. Hopefully they don't overexpose this group next week during the First Annual Beautiful People Beauty Pageant - TNA has a tendency to do that, and I hope that it doesn't come off as a cheap rendition of a tired, years-old WWE skit because Love and Sky deserve better than that.

Bashir-Creed seemed like a waste - for one thing, Bashir should not be eating so much offense from a ref, even if this is obviously leading to a wrestler vs. "ref" match in the future. For another, there was no need to have the restart happen so quickly - within SECONDS of DW stating that the ref simply didn't see the feet on the rope and couldn't call it, the match was restarted. Why? Because the fans are SUPER CONVINCING. Hell of a ref - he'll just listen to what fans say instead of...looking at footage.

I think a Wendy's ad opening with Wendy next to an "I heart bacon" sign airing immediately after the wacky Abyss history video full of barb wire was my favorite moment of the show. I think a Wendy's ad opening with Wendy next to an "I heart bacon" sign airing immediately after the wacky Abyss history video full of barb wire was my favorite moment of the show. After a few weeks of good shows that gave time to matches, this week's installment came off as yet another Impact with too little wrestling, way too much going on at once, leading to a lot of stuff being rushed, and nothing having any lasting impact because of it.

Quotes for the STING VS. THE FANS edition of Impact -
Spoiler

Screens -
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

THE MOST DESTRUCTIVE FORCE IN WRESTLING TODAY!
Posted Image

KaneRobot, it did, but they took him out of it for future showings at house shows and the like.

Edited by JaytheGamefan, 05 September 2008 - 03:28 AM.

#242 tangytangerine   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4379 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

tangytangerine

Posted 05 September 2008 - 03:42 AM

After watching the ODB bathroom promo, then the match and part of Abyss' match. I turned the tv off and when back to burning a couple DVDs. TNA seriously thinks this is how to get fans to watch?

No offense to the Dudley Boyz, but take a couple months off of tv so I don't have to see the same crap every week. Seems like every week it's 3-on-1 until someone makes a save.

#243 Chase   tjeezy.com CAGiversary!   7667 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 05 September 2008 - 04:35 AM

The old vs. new guard stuff annoyed me throughout the show - each side just keeps repeating the same things, and the only part of it I liked was AJ's passion. Otherwise, the young guys just came off as a bunch of whiners, including Joe, who really complains a lot for a guy called THE MOST DESTRUCTIVE FORCE IN WRESTLING TODAY according to the PPV ad. That led me to think he'd be kicking ass, instead of whining.

I don't know how or when precisely but Samoa Joe went from a cool, collected intimidator to whiny, annoying child in TNA.

ODB's bathroom skit was incredibly stupid, but I'm sure whoever wrote it loved it to death. I didn't like her trying to take off Raisha's face covering, and I really didn't like the announcers just calling it "a mask" - it made them and the company come off as incredibly ignorant. Bashir's promo about 9/11 bothered me in a similar manner, and I'm not a fan of his theme starting with the sound of a plane soaring overhead - the timing of them starting that, weeks before 9/11's seventh anniversary, is incredibly crass.

Yes, I concur. TNA's ignorance is pretty gross. I guess TNA just perceives its fans of being really dumb and sheepish.

*shrugs*

It's a shame because I like Bashir but don't think TNA will ever properly utilize his talents. I had to change the channel when the ref went zany. That was beyond post-1999 WCW cheesy.

ODB's segment was more tragedy than comedy. I think one of TNA writers took the phrase "shits and giggles" a wee bit too literally. :-#

After watching the ODB bathroom promo, then the match and part of Abyss' match. I turned the tv off and when back to burning a couple DVDs. TNA seriously thinks this is how to get fans to watch?

No offense to the Dudley Boyz, but take a couple months off of tv so I don't have to see the same crap every week. Seems like every week it's 3-on-1 until someone makes a save.

I flipped between TNA and a rerun of Burn Notice. After the Bashir match with another stupid chaotic finish, I kept it on Burn Notice.

TNA has the potential for better matches but it's insignificant if they keep doing stupid shit throughout the rest of the show.

#244 JaytheGamefan   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4408 Posts   Joined 17.3 Years Ago  

JaytheGamefan

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:22 PM

http://www.f4wonline...tent/view/6629/
Rick Renslow, an AWA enhancement guy in the '80s, whose work has been seen on the ESPN Classics re-airings of AWA shows, passed away from cancer yesterday. Here are a couple shots of him on those shows.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Mick Karch, an AWA announcer, posted a thread at Kayfabe Memories in his honor -
http://www.infinitec...?threadid=58819

#245 tangytangerine   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4379 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

tangytangerine

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:31 PM

Foley revealed in a radio interview that his TNA debut will be in 3 weeks. Also mentioned that creative is scrambling to fit him into a story(great, that's all we need, a rushed crappy story).

#246 Chase   tjeezy.com CAGiversary!   7667 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:43 PM

Oh great googly moogly, everyone prepare for Foley/Sharkboy.

#247 JJSP   Hank The Pigeon CAGiversary!   10230 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:50 PM

Is there really any logical place for Foley in TNA right now?

#248 007   Areaologist CAGiversary!   2860 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:54 PM

Ah. Well, so much for Foley in TNA. I mean, these guys had to have at least some idea that he might be making his way to the company... yet, they don't have anything ready for him?

It just reminds of Booker T WAY too much. Build him up, bring him in, do nothing with him. If TNA isn't going to give up on overpaying and overhyping these ex-WWE guys, the least they could do is attempt to SHOW us why they're still relevant, as opposed to continually only telling us.

Sorry, this is just a bit much. I've always wanted TNA to succeed on some level, but they've just been going downhill for so long now that it's actually sad to turn on Impact anymore. Instead of two hours of wrestling, it feels like just watching two hours of missed opportunities.

Anyway, the Foley quote might be misleading, but if it's verbatim, then I give up hope entirely.

#249 Chase   tjeezy.com CAGiversary!   7667 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:57 PM

In Don West's seat. :-# hehehe

#250 -Never4ever-   That Guy. CAGiversary!   7832 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

-Never4ever-

Posted 05 September 2008 - 10:43 PM

Does there really need to be one? Why can't he just show up, cut a face promo bashing the WWE, have a heel interupt him and build off that?

OR if they must have him in a crazy russo-style story, have Sting beat up Jim Cornette because he want to run TNA. Dixie Carter then comes out and makes an 5-man six sides of steel ultimate King Of The Mountain Match for control of TNA. Have Foley be the secret 6th man who comes out from under the ring to steal the victory from Sting. This puts him in control of TNA and leads to a Foley & Face Group Vs Sting & Heel group battling for the fate of TNA. This can all be done within the first hour of impact 3 weeks from now.

#251 JaytheGamefan   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4408 Posts   Joined 17.3 Years Ago  

JaytheGamefan

Posted 05 September 2008 - 11:52 PM

Booker in TNA seems like a fair comparison - he, like Booker, probably won't lose much gimmick-wise in the move, but after watching Impact last night...yeah...I have even less faith in TNA using Foley correctly unless he has complete creative control over his character, which, given his long history of concussions, is far from a sure-fire guarantee that things will go well. I could see Foley fitting into the old vs. new guard storyline, possibly as a peacemaker at first, then siding with whatever side is against Joe leading to Foley vs. Joe at...some show. Probably Impact - with one week of hype.

#252 cdeener   Love Those Price Drops!!! CAGiversary!   5064 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

Posted 06 September 2008 - 12:21 AM

Why do they have R Truth coming to the ring rapping through the crowd? It is sad because he isn't going along with the track playing in the background.

Guest_Dick Tracy_*

Posted 06 September 2008 - 12:36 AM

"Charlie Benjamin" - J.R.

#254 cdeener   Love Those Price Drops!!! CAGiversary!   5064 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

Posted 06 September 2008 - 12:49 AM

If they were smart they should let him be incorporated into the Abyss story since he wears a mask like the one Foley use to wear when he was Mankind. Also, it could help that story because there really isn't anyone else involved with Abyss outside of Matt Morgan.

Whatever happened to Dustin Rhodes and his character Black Reign?

#255 JJSP   Hank The Pigeon CAGiversary!   10230 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 06 September 2008 - 12:52 AM

..."you're going to hell to meet your husband." - Undertaker, to Vickie Guerrero

Seriously, WWE?

Guest_Dick Tracy_*

Posted 06 September 2008 - 12:55 AM

He said "Edge", afterward... but that promo was ridiculously distasteful.

#257 -Never4ever-   That Guy. CAGiversary!   7832 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

-Never4ever-

Posted 06 September 2008 - 12:58 AM

..."you're going to hell to meet your husband." - Undertaker, to Vickie Guerrero

Seriously, WWE?

That's so wrong I honestly LOLed at that.

Guest_Dick Tracy_*

Posted 06 September 2008 - 01:06 AM

Er. Wait. Is her character even married to Edge?

#259 Purple Flames   MC Sucka DJ CAGiversary!   5775 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Purple Flames

Posted 06 September 2008 - 01:12 AM

Seriously, WWE?

I thought the same thing.

#260 Genocidal   Summer of Punk CAGiversary!   4845 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 06 September 2008 - 01:20 AM

Er. Wait. Is her character even married to Edge?

That's only been part of the biggest feud on Smackdown for the past 4 months at least.

Guest_Dick Tracy_*

Posted 06 September 2008 - 01:36 AM

That's only been part of the biggest feud on Smackdown for the past 4 months at least.

I don't watch Smackdown.

#262 JaytheGamefan   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4408 Posts   Joined 17.3 Years Ago  

JaytheGamefan

Posted 06 September 2008 - 02:21 AM

If you're not watching SmackDown, you're missing out on some of WWE's best action, and easily the freshest main event scene in the company.

Tonight's show thoughts...
Not a completely great SD this week, but a good one overall. HHH's "inside" comments got old really quickly - there's a right way and a wrong way to break the fourth wall, and his long, monotonous explanation of what a promo was was the wrong way. The jab at Jeff Hardy at least made some storyline sense given that WWE.com has covered it, although I'm not a fan of taking cheap shots like that at talent. I will say that all of the stuff with Hunter did make me want to see him lose the belt, so in that regard, it was effective at making me want to see the PPV.

The scramble participant matches this week were a mixed bag, as Shelton-MVP just came to a screeching halt after some of the best mat wrestling on WWE TV this year - it worked at making Shelton seem like a threat, as MVP's matches are usually quite a bit longer on TV, and I can't recall him losing that quickly since he his first big WWE feud against Kane.

Kendrick-Hardy had some good stuff in it, but felt somewhat insignificant aside from it marking Kendrick's biggest singles win ever. Bella-Victoria had some good stuff in it, and Bella's definitely a few steps above both Maria and Maryse, who had a pretty boring match to open the show. I liked that the Bella twins at least wore completely matching outfits this week, as opposed to last week, where one had a silver belt and the other didn't. R-Truth's intro through the crowd helped him stand out, and the crowd responding is a good sign. The match itself was just a basic squash match - nothing special or memorable about it any way, except for J.R. going WHAT'S UP and responding with "word" when Tazz asked him if he was a hip-hop fan. J.R. ruled tonight.

The Vickie-Taker stuff really didn't do anything for me - these two have zero chemistry together, but I liked her interaction with both Show and Kozlov, with each man appearing like they were seconds away from just hauling off and knocking her out. Kozlov getting a gigantic cityscape of Moscow for his bottom tron video rules, and I liked that Crazy kind of got a bit of a push tonight...before getting killed by Kozlov. It gave me hope that they'll eventually use him in a U.S. title-level role, although with that belt once again rising to main event status after a brief stint right back into mid-card hell when Matt held it, I'll likely be waiting a long while before that happens.

Quotes -
Spoiler

Screens -
OMG LEVIATHAN!
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

the writing's on the wall...
Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by JaytheGamefan, 06 September 2008 - 03:49 AM.

#263 mykevermin   Queen of Scotland CAGiversary!   37011 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

Posted 06 September 2008 - 03:51 AM

If you're not watching SmackDown, you're missing out on some of WWE's best action, and easily the freshest main event scene in the company.

Like Triple H, Edge, and The Undertaker!

#264 courageous  

Posted 06 September 2008 - 04:14 AM

For a guyt getting super tubby, Super Crazy is still one hell of a "flippy guy". He slid into the ring and did some sort of forward flip off his head onto his feet. Then I just stared at his gut the whole 30 second match until a Russian guy kicked him in the face.

Guest_Dick Tracy_*

Posted 06 September 2008 - 04:43 AM

For a guyt getting super tubby, Super Crazy is still one hell of a "flippy guy". He slid into the ring and did some sort of forward flip off his head onto his feet. Then I just stared at his gut the whole 30 second match until a Russian guy kicked him in the face.

Vince?

#266 JaytheGamefan   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4408 Posts   Joined 17.3 Years Ago  

JaytheGamefan

Posted 06 September 2008 - 06:58 AM

In some TNA house show news, Mick Foley made his first appearance with the company on Friday night, and 3D hinted that they'd be going back to WWE by mentioning "the Dudleys". Of course, they did this AFTER winning, which would seem to hint that they're staying in TNA, but that could be a swerve (like WWE having RVD win his stretcher match against Orton before leaving). -
http://www.prowrestl...le1002679.shtml

Posted Image

#267 Sporadic   done with this site CAGiversary!   9499 Posts   Joined 17.6 Years Ago  

Posted 06 September 2008 - 10:06 AM

Dragon Gate is coming out with a Best Of DVD with English commentary.

This title is scheduled to ship by September 15th!!!

11.23.06 - Osaka, Japan (Osaka Prefectural Gym)

1. Ryo Saito & Genki Horiguchi vs. Shingo & Cyber Kong
2. BxB Hulk, Jushin Liger, Jack Evans & Matt Sydal vs. Naruki Doi, Masato Yoshino, Magnitude Kishiwada & Kevin Steen
3. CIMA vs. Gamma (Hair vs. Hair)
4. Susumu Yokosuka vs. Don Fujii (Open The Dream Gate Title Match)

12.22.06 - Tokyo, Japan (Korakuen Hall)

5. Gamma vs. Ryo Saito (King of the Gate Semi-Finals)
6. Masaaki Mochizuki vs. Dick Togo (King of the Gate Semi-Finals)
7. Don Fujii & Yasushi Kanda vs. BxB Hulk & Jack Evans vs. Susumu Yokosuka & K-ness vs. Genki Horiguchi & Super Shenron (Four Way Tag Team Elimination)
8. Ryo Saito vs. Masaaki Mochizuki (King of the Gate Finals)

3.25.07 - Mie, Japan (Tsu City Gym) - MEMORIAL GATE 2007

9. Matt Sydal vs. Genki Horiguchi (Open The Brave Gate Title Match)
10. Gamma, Masato Yoshino & Naruki Doi vs. CIMA, Ryo Saito & Susumu Yokosuka (Open The Triangle Gate Title Match)
11. Don Fujii vs. Jushin Liger (Open The Dream Gate Title Match)

*with english commentary

Posted Image

http://www.rohwrestl...tid=317&id=2756

#268 Demolition Man   REV-OH-LU-TION! CAGiversary!   14870 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

Demolition Man

Posted 06 September 2008 - 03:14 PM

Another (and better) picture of Foley from last night:

Posted Image

#269 tangytangerine   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4379 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

tangytangerine

Posted 06 September 2008 - 04:04 PM

Well, although the show was better than I thought, Midway announced on GametrailersTV that Curry Man & Petey Williams will be the first 2 dl-able characters that will be offered for TNA Impact.

Strange thing is that during show was that they were showing Midway mapping the wrestlers. One of the ones that was being mapped in the clip was Christy Hemme. Which I guess will be another dl-able character, since I don't remember seeing her on the roster for the game.

#270 mykevermin   Queen of Scotland CAGiversary!   37011 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

Posted 06 September 2008 - 04:25 PM

I thought Mr. Q&A fuckup said wimmin weren't going to be in the game.