The Killer Kowalski Memorial (and George Steele) Wrestling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJSP

CAGiversary!
Feedback
62 (100%)
george-large.jpg

Most people remember him as "The Animal", some as an "Oddity", and others as a "Monster". Regardless, George Steele was a big part of my exposure to professional wrestling in the 1980's. I remember watching WWF Superstars every Saturday morning in hopes that I'd get to see him tear apart a turnbuckle, and as soon as the WWF Magazine had an advertisement for "Mine", I wanted one.​

Never got one, though. :(

Over this twenty year span George not only went at it by himself, but at different times was managed by some of the best in the business. The Grand Wizard, Captain Lou, Classy Freddy Blassie, and even the evil Mr. Fugi spent summers in George’s corner. As Vince McMahon Jr. replaced his father as the owner of the WWF and the wrestling business started to change George was right there in the middle of the change.

When Freddy Blassie turned his foreign villains, Nikolai Volkoff and the Iron Sheik, on George Steele things changed. Caption Lou Albano came to George’s aid and George instantly became a lovable wild brawling good guy. This change recreated George The Animal Steele and launched his career to a new level. George has been in many commercials and even had a starring role in the movie, Ed Wood, which won two Oscars. George was still on top of WWF and had a very memorable and long run with The Macho Man Randy Savage. This run was built around the fact that George was smitten over Elizabeth. This feud launched Randy to Super Star Status and George Steele into the WWE Hall of Fame.

George "The Animal" Steele vs. "Macho Man" Randy Savage, SNME 1987

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0RcQgDD354[/media]

Last edited by a moderator:
The first hour felt like a waste, with very little being accomplished. Sting being shown as Steve Borden was a bit odd, while the first two matches were perfectly fine but nothing special or even memorable - I liked how they made it seem like Kong ran Gail out of TNA, but did so in a way that didn't completely bury her - it made Kong come off as a stronger act, and smartly left the door open for a return in the future.

Aside from that, the first two matches accomplished very little, and seemed to only serve as vehicles to fuel an angle, which could've been done without a match. The sight of Abyss on Karen's Angle was hilarious, as was Karen's over-acting. The segment itself was just strange and I'm not really sure what it's leading to, nor am I all that concerned about it.

The Creed video was good, but like a lot of these things, felt way too short. I liked the use of NWA Anarchy footage, although it's a shame they appeared to just be given access to 5th generation tapes of his stuff there. The Booker/3D segment in the locker room was amusing, but led to nothing by the end of the show, and the same goes for the Angle/Trigg/JB segment, which was only significant because it wrote Tomko out of the show. The Cornette-Traci segment was amusing thanks to Cornette's future endeavors line, and him stating that she'll never drown. All this did was establish that Traci has big tits and is now THE KNOCKOUT LAW. I have no idea what that is, nor am I all that concerned about it. Lots of largely meaningless talking segments in the first hour. Silly me - the Traci thing also led to a PRINCE JUSTICE BROTHERHOOD match being announced for PPV. I'm sure that'll drive thousands to their phones to order it.

The second hour was a big improvement over the first, with Angle and Nash having yet another very good, simple match. Joe added a lot to it on commentary, and this whole thing was great aside from Nash randomly getting pissed at Joe, leading to his downfall as Angle hit something kinda resembling the Olympic Slam on Nash for the pin.

Then there was a bit with Tenay and DW stating that people ask them about the MYSTERY OF THE GUITAR! everywhere they go - that ruled. That led into a very good Jeff Jarrett video package covering his TNA career - I've got mixed feelings about it bringing up his wife's death to seemingly give him a regular sympathy pop, but it was a good video package. I noticed a bit of WWA footage and some Hogan New Japan footage in it, which was a nice change from their video packages only having TNA footage in them. The stuff about him being a pillar of wrestling was hilarious, but that package did at least make it plausible.

Val announcing a...something match between Jay and Sonjay where the winner will be the man who gets the ring that will be above the ring (please be on a BIG POLE...), and will then get her as his main squeeze was hilarious. First, she looked like a whore, with about 1,000 layers of makeup on, and then showed off the eye makeup around her eye to make it look like a shiner - the effect of which was lost because every other part of her face was just caked in makeup. Then she made the announcement that she'll just fuck whoever wins this match - so she not only looks like a whore, but acts like one. I think she's the face in all this - I have no idea how.

The knockouts tag was fine, but wasn't memorable aside from the "Kute Kip" graphic before the match. The pre-match promo work by the Beautiful People to build this (and Love's title match at the PPV) was great, with Love noting that not only do all the men want them, but some of the Knockouts do as well.

Sting's promo was easily the best one he's cut in years - it was way too rushed at the beginning, with him going through about chapters 1-15 of this story in 45 seconds, but got really good once he started calling the younger guys punks and then listed reasons as to why they were. If this was supposed to be a heel turn, it really failed, as fans were not only cheering him, but chanting his name AND bowing to him as he said this.

This wasn't a very good show overall, as it didn't really build a lot of up for the PPV or have much good wrestling, but I thought the second hour was mostly good stuff, with the first hour being largely skippable. I'd say this was the third good-ish Impact show in a row, as Angle-Nash was good, and the Sting-AJ segment felt significant.

Quotes for the STING SPEAKS! edition of Impact -
Ad Guy - Sting - A MASTER OF PSYCHOLOGICAL WARFARE! HAS THE ICON TEAMED WITH BOOKER T AND KURT ANGLE TO DISPOSE OF THE SAMOAN SUBMISSION MACHINE AND AJ STYLES!?
Lauren - Sting, ARE THE FANS FINALLY GONNA HEAR FROM YOU!?
(in street clothes)Sting - Tonight’s the night.
Tenay - TNA AND GAIL KIM HAVE PARTED WAYS!
Tenay - Tonight on Karen’s Angle - IT’S ABYSS!
Abyss - Ms. Angle, it’s not Abyss - it’s Chris Park.
Abyss - MS. ANGLE - I CAN BE YOUR TEDDY BEAR! FOR NOW, JUST ACCEPT THIS GIFT - MY HAIR!
Karen - AW MY GAWD!
Velvet - We are the Beautiful People - we are better than you, but don’t take it personal - we’re better than everyone! We’re who all the women want to be, and all the women want to be with.
Angelina - Velvet, you’re too modest - there are plenty of women who want to be with us, too.
Angle - I WON AN OLYMPIC GOLD MEDAL IN 1996 WITH A BROKEN FRICKIN’ NECK!
Trigg - You think I’m gonna leave you like Tomko did to be a shoot fighter in Japan? Come on - your problems are my problems.
Tenay - TONIGHT, STING SPEAKS - MAYBE WE’LL FIND OUT MORE ABOUT THE MYSTERY OF THE GUITAR!
(to Traci)Cornette - WISH THEM WELL IN THEIR FUTURE ENDEAVORS! You’re very exuberant and very…healthy. You’ll never drown.
(to Devon)Ray - GIMME THE DAMN JACKET - RED ISN’T A GOOD COLOR ON ME!
Booker - JUST SIT ON THE SO-FAA! LET US TOAST TO GOOD TIMES, JEREMIAH!
Ad break guy - TNA is brought to you by “College”!
Joe - When it comes to Kev and me, there’s one rule - there’s 1 number 1, and Kevin’s never been much of a number 2.
(on Nash-Angle)Tenay - If this is a power game, it’s Nash, if it’s wrestling, it’s Nash, no?
Joe - Well, as much as I hate him, Kurt is an amazing wrestler. Nash is the best power man in the business.
Joe - Kevin Nash has made an epic legacy by giving people what they want to see.
Joe - Kurt’s got that figure 4 on in the toughest of ways - right above the knee cap. Kev needs to either get to the ropes or get himself over.
Tenay - HE DOES IT!
(after a standing flying shoulder tackle by Nash)Tenay - KEVIN NASH PULLING OUT ALL THE STOPS - LEAVING HIS FEET!
(to Joe, looking at a monitor)Nash - KEEP YOUR EYES ON ME!
Tenay - Nash just came over and slapped Joe!
Joe - YOU MOTHERfuckER!
Tenay - ANGLE SLAM!
DW - THE OLYMPIC SLAM IS HIT!
Tenay - LET’S SHOW YOU THE HISTORY OF THE MYSTERY OF THE GUITAR!
Ad Guy - Throughout history, guitars have been played for song, but in TNA, THEY’RE PLAYED DIFFERENTLY! YOU SMASH IT OVER THE HEAD! NOW, THE MYSTERY OF THE GUITAR CONTINUES!
Tenay - FOR WEEKS, PEOPLE HAVE BEEN WONDERING ABOUT THE MYSTERY OF THE GUITAR!
DW - WHEREVER WE ARE, AT AIRPORTS, AT RESTAURANTS, PEOPLE HAVE BEEN ASKING US ABOUT THE MYSTERY OF THE GUITAR!
Val - We’re gonna put this ring above the ring, and whoever gets this, gets me. I know it’s ridiculous, BUT I’M SICK OF THIS!
Tenay - Ever since the arrival of Kute Kip, the Beautiful People have somehow been even more arrogant.
Tenay - TRACI BROOKS IS GONNA BE THE KNOCKOUT LAW!
DW - Angelina Love is a great wrestler - she’s got that Lights Out move, and when she hits it, it’s almost lights out!
(during Sting video package)Ad Guy - HAS THE WARRIOR OF LIGHT JOINED THE DARK SIDE!
Sting - A few months ago, I had a long and in-depth interview with Mike Tenay, and I talked about my retiring from pro wrestling. In the days that followed, I considered leaving, but what would happen if I turned the reigns over to the new generation, but I couldn’t face it - I couldn’t face the potential end of TNA! The idea that would hand the future of wrestling over to them…I couldn’t do that. Joe, at Victory Road, you could’ve had the win - 1,2 3, but you took it too far. BOOKER T IS A LEGEND IN THIS BUSINESS, JOE! YOU WANTED TO DISRESPECT A LEGEND, and that’s why I involved myself in your match, Joe. I did it because I wanted to help you - I looked at you as someone who could carry the torch into the future - that’s why I came, Joe, but you opposed me and flipped me off! THAT’S HOW YOU SHOWED RESPECT FOR SOMEONE WHO PAVED THE WAY FOR YOU TO EVEN HAVE A JOB! WHEN I WAS YOUR AGE, A YOUNG RIC FLAIR TOOK ME UNDER HIS WING BECAUSE HE BELIEVED IN ME LIKE I BELIEVED IN YOU! I RESPECTED WHAT HE HAD TO SAY, THAT’S THE DIFFERENCE! I KNEW WITHOUT GUYS OF HIS GENERATION PAVING THE WAY, I COULDN’T BE A WRESTLER! Then there’s AJ, who one day calls me Mr. Sting, and then calls me a coward. He says I owe him something - I DON’T OWE HIM ANYTHING! YOU OWE ME! I PAVED THE WAY FOR YOU TO BE A WRESTLER! (fans cheer) You should be thanking me AJ, every single month when you write your check to pay your mortgage. I guess I’m supposed to pay homage to your generation. IT DOESN’T WORK THAT WAY! There’s a lot of young guys back there, not all of them, but YOU’RE A BUNCH OF SPOILED, ROTTEN BRATS! One way or another, I’m gonna bring respect back into this business! IF I’VE GOTTA BE THE PARENT THAT NOBODY LIKES, THEN FINE! IF YOU THINK I’M WRONG, THEN TELL ME TO MY FACE!
Tenay - WELL IT HAS OBVIOUSLY BEEN A TIME OF REFLECTION FOR STING!
AJ - You’re wrong! You’re dead wrong! I look up to you, I odolized you. BUT I NEVER, EVER, DISRESPECTED YOU! EVER! AND YOU KNOW IT! YOU PAVED THE WAY FOR ME!? WHO HELPED GET THIS COMPANY STARTED!?
Sting - I looked at you like I looked at Joe - as the future of this business. That’s why I involved myself in your match. You can’t respect someone and call them a coward in the same breath! You, just like Joe, took it one step farther. You could’ve just walked away with the 1,2,3, but that’s what you should’ve done. Kurt’s a world champion in WWE, here, and done something NONE OF US HAVE DONE - HE’S AN OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALIST! You don’t see Phelps spitting in Spitz’s face, do ya!? You have a problem with my tone?!? I’M GONNA GIVE YOU MY BAT AND LET YOU HIT ME RIGHT OVER THE HEAD! Go ahead, AJ. Put the mic down and HIT ME WITH BOTH HANDS! COME ON, AJ! GO AHEAD! COME ON, DO IT, AJ!
Tenay - JUST AS AJ WAS GONNA HIT HIM, STING HIT HIM IN THE GUT AND HIT HIM WITH THE SCORPION DEATH DROP!(Jarrett’s theme hits) DON WEST, YOU KNOW THAT THEME JUST LIKE I DO - IT’S OBVIOUS THAT STING’S NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO LIKES TO PLAY MIND GAMES!

Screens -

More of them -

Believe it or not, my Dad's friend runs into George Steele all the time.

Apparently he's a really nice guy who always takes the time to stop and shoot the shit with him.

To me wrestling was at its best in the late 70's and early 80's, before Vince took over the show....before the intro songs and the silly-assed fireworks and the huge roided-up freakshows with their poorly written (and even worse acted) storylines took over.

I miss a simple match where you waited to see if "your guy" was going to use his signature move or not...back then another wrestler running into the ring was a huge big deal. A manager sneaking an attack (Blassie rapping some guy with his cane) was a huge big deal.

George is one of the old guys who I used to love...he didn't wrestle all the time, so it was a treat when you got to see him do his turnbuckle thing. Wrestling, for me, just became too retarded after about 1985.

But my moment of shattered dreams was when I saw WWF wrestling at the local High School.....seeing the stars there, and seeing how ridiculously fake it all was just really just sucked the wind out of the old sails. Yes, before that night I did want to believe that it was real. Sure some stuff was set up but I wanted to believe alot of it was real :)

When you are there....7 rows back..and can hear the guys takling to each other to plan their next move...meh....the drama is gone :D

[quote name='bornrunnin31']http://ps3.ign.com/articles/906/906229p1.html Q & A with Midway over at IGN about the TNA game. Most of the questions are just "Is x in the game?" and after reading through it, you really get a feeling for how lacking this game is in features.[/quote]

Reading that gives me the feeling that this game will more of a beta test than a final product. Especially since they keep saying "not in this version" in the interview.

Given how barebones it'll be and no dlc pretty will guarantee it'll be $20-$30 new before the end of the year. Really wished TNA would've went with someone else like Activision or EA(since they have money to fully develop & promote it).

*Edit- I like how one of the guys commenting is comparing it to WWF Royal Rumble on Dreamcast on the amount of features.

[quote name='bornrunnin31']http://ps3.ign.com/articles/906/906229p1.html Q & A with Midway over at IGN about the TNA game. Most of the questions are just "Is x in the game?" and after reading through it, you really get a feeling for how lacking this game is in features.[/quote]

Kinda got the "this is gonna be shit," impression earlier than now.

Wow. I'll pick Impact up when it hits the $20 mark. It'll drop so fuckin' fast they'll think "Stranglehold" should be made into a GH title.

I've never seen so many "nope, don't have that. that either. or that" in my life. They're incapable of doing things that Smackdown versus Raw was doing over half a fuckin' decade ago.

I really have a whole lot of hope for the game engine based on what some people have said - at the same time that people who are saying this (notably Cheapy and Shipwreck praised the gameplay) also add the caveat that they aren't typical wrestling game fans. So it may be fun to them, but that doesn't mean the "feel" won't be off to those expecting something else, y'know?

A 5 CAW slots? They may as well have had none at all. That's embarrassing.

$60 for this fuckin' title? Suck my ass, Midway. See you in the bargain bin in mid-October.

[quote name='bornrunnin31']http://ps3.ign.com/articles/906/906229p1.html Q & A with Midway over at IGN about the TNA game. Most of the questions are just "Is x in the game?" and after reading through it, you really get a feeling for how lacking this game is in features.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

Holy shit, this is shaping up to be a failure on an epic level. I'm talking WCW Backstage Assault bad.

You know it's really bad when 50%+ of the answers are "No, not in this version." and "In the future"

Best comment is this

We have so much we need to add, and it all can't happen in just 1 sequel, so we are going to work hard each year to add as much as possible until we have more content than any other wrestling video game!

Fantastic! In ten years, maybe we'll make a decent alternative to Smackdown! Until then, buy our shitty rushed out game(s)!

I can't believe it took them 2 and a half years to make this. Ground up or not, there's no excuse for lacking some of the stuff they're lacking..... And they talk about "future versions?" The rate this game is going to sell, there aren't going to be any future versions. If people wouldn't spend $15 on a great wrestling game with tons of customization and features but no mainstream (WWE) license (referring of course to Firepro Returns) Then they're sure as hell not going to spend 4 times that on a game based on a league that they may or may not have even heard of.

That Q&A is embarrassing - lots of "no"s, and double speak. Some of it, like stating they didn't put stuff in the CAW mode so you could make WWE guys I can understand as just legal-ese, but all of the "not in this first version" stuff was really annoying and makes "the first version" seem completely worthless. As far as "epic fail" goes, this is much bigger than Backstage Assault - that wasn't hyped up for months on TV, or years before its release - it was just a game that quietly came and went. This...this is just sad.

No Sting in his "current" decade-old attire? Ugh - they put in a palette-swapped version of his late '06 attire that he only wore for a month, but not the singlet he's worn for roughly a decade now. Oh, and he can't even use a bat as a weapon - a feature in a decade-old game like WCW Revenge. Impact comes off as an outdated game with its roster, and an archaic one in its feature set. Certainly not something worth $60, or even $40 for the PS2 version. This doesn't even hold up well compared to other first efforts - Toukon Retsuden seemed to have more moves than this, and a more robust gameplay engine as well. Plus, it actually did justice to its roster - something I haven't seen for anyone in this game.

I did like the implication that a past TNA/WWE guy would be in - hopefully they deliver someone I'd like to play as. Petey and Kaz being DLC is somewhat laughable - there's no reason for them to not be in the game as simply unlockbles or by default.

My favorite part of the Q&A:
Irish-And-Proud: I've read that the PS2 and Wii versions won't have the Create-A-Wrestler mode. Will there be anything PS2-specific?

MIDWAY: Yes! PS2 and Wii have combos!

Combos?!?!?! I just laughed my ass off at that part because I can see the answer guy being so excited about what sounds like the simplest feature. I can understand having to build a game from scratch is going to take time, but this is a major studio with plenty of money and a huge staff. I guess they were more concerned with the next gen look rather then features. I hope they had pressure to just get it on shelves because a game that lacks so many things is just embarassing and there's really no excuse for it.

^ I got a kick out of the "COMBOS!" excitement as well, more or less because it's a Midway guy talking.

Makes me wish TJ Combo was the hidden video game character, and not AFRO fuckING THUNDER.

Jaysis.

This will be an interesting year of competition, since this (LoW aside) is THQ's last WWE game.

I predict you'll see an EA published/AKI developed WWE game next year. And TNA Impact! 2 will compete with 10, count 'em 10, CAW slots.

And they'll add sunglasses or somethin'.

If you buy this on day one, send me your address so I can fly to your house and slap you in the face.

EDIT: Really, if you have to buy it on day one, get it for PS2. You're saving $20. That $20 gets you 5 CAW Slots and 360-only cheesemints.

Also noticed SvR 2009 is $40 for PS2. I'm startin' to take a liking to the PS2 titles again, since they're $20 cheaper than the current-gen versions, and probably only anemically different.

Let's ask some other people what THEY think of the upcoming TNA Impact game. First let's ask prominent WWE wrestler, Kane...

kane.jpg

I see.... and Ron Simmons? How do you feel about the game?

RonSimmons.jpg

Fabulous!

[quote name='mykevermin']I predict you'll see an EA published/AKI developed WWE game next year. [/QUOTE]

I doubt that one.

Believe it or not, AKI is currently working on a new Ready 2 Rumble game for Midway :lol:

[quote name='Sporadic']I doubt that one.

Believe it or not, AKI is currently working on a new Ready 2 Rumble game for Midway :lol:[/QUOTE]

:( that's just depressing

so...PS2 and Wii have COMBOS!!111 and the 360 and PS3 versions don't? Because that's what it seems like he was saying

Q: Will you be able to have a 1 on 1 match

MIDWAY: We are looking towards adding this feature next year

I wonder if you'll be able to completely ignore the rules of a match just like in real TNA, pinfalls during Ultimate X anyone?

Oh, I get it, TNA. "Cross the line." People who 'crossed the line' received 'hard justice' from Sting. Catchy. Yeah...

So yeah, Christy Hemme needs more TV time. Does anyone else remember how much heat Jimmy Rave earned in ROH? I would really like to see him on his own, as, let's face it, Lance Hoyt is going no where. I recommend ditching Hoyt, keeping Hemme with Rave, and letting him vie for the X-Division championship.

The more I read about TNA Impact, the more I don't want to buy it. Not even at 10 bucks. It just sounds gross.

Taylor Wilde needs to cut more promos. I think I'd like her more if I understood her character. She just seems very generic.

I'm waiting for the Sting promo. People seem to like it. So, I assume it's worth the extra twenty minutes.

[quote name='Matt Young']Taylor Wilde just sucks. Christy, however... I said in the other thread, she's one of the few women who make me go, "DAMN!"[/quote]

Yep. Christy's pretty hot. I dig her eyes.

Sting's promo was solid. So was AJ's response. However, it really feels like New Blood versus Millionaire's Club all over again, especially after hearing AJ say how he helped build TNA in response to Sting's "I paved the road" comment.

This really isn't helping me change my mind in how I view TNA as WCW 2000, Part 2.

Wow... boy is that TNA game going to be the suckfest. It went from release day purchase to "eh... I'll wait until its in the clearance bin" for me. Nice going Midway.... gee, and to think that TNA claims they had EA and Rockstar both wanting to do the TNA games.

Good thread choice. Hilarious (as a face), scary (as a heel) character and a nice guy. The first time I met him I asked if could get a photo with him; he hesitated a moment before grabbing me by the goatee and loudly grunting "'LIZBETH NICE!" as the picture was taken.

[quote name='Sporadic']I doubt that one.

Believe it or not, AKI is currently working on a new Ready 2 Rumble game for Midway :lol:[/quote]

boooooo

im telling you.. the team at midway are morons... they must have no wrestling fans on baords.. or anyone thats played smackdown for that matter.

no excuse for this bs.. they have been working on it forever

[quote name='mykevermin']
If you buy this on day one, send me your address so I can fly to your house and slap you in the face.

EDIT: Really, if you have to buy it on day one, get it for PS2. You're saving $20. That $20 gets you 5 CAW Slots and 360-only cheesemints.

.[/quote]

ps2? are you kidding me? hell no

Im seriously having second thoughts about getting it day one... but I will probably still end up getting it..

They obviously need the support right? shit i bought ecw hardcore revolution day one

This Q&A is fantastic. I've been saying that this game looks like shit from the get-go, but I never thought they'd pump out something this feature-less.

Symbiot3Spid3y: unlockable mortal kombat arenas and characters haha Midway is crazy so it might happen.

MIDWAY: No. But you're right. There were plans…

This is why Midway should never do a wrestling title. Sting vs. Scorpion? Baraka vs. Abyss? It almost happened.

KrackerJacksYum: an you tell me stuff about the Wii version? And are Wii owners going to get Screwed just like SVR 08 on Wii?

MIDWAY: We are happy and excited with the Wii version!

Holy crap.

I'll echo what people were saying earlier.. it sounds like a beta version. This game is a one-time rental.

[quote name='guyver2077']ps2? are you kidding me? hell no[/QUOTE]

Hey, man - if you want to pay $20 for 5 CAW slots and achievements, that's your prerogative. All I'm sayin' is that a game this bare bones shouldn't even be $40, let alone $60.

omg yes!!!!!!

r truth comes out to his tna theme tonight on smackdown! not too much reaction at first to his entrance but some of his moves did gain some "ooooo" from the crowd.

I think it is awesome that killings was able to keep using his theme and that wwe allowed it. I expect them to use their own theme eventually..
Hopefully he didnt have to sign the right to the song over..

wish they would awknowledge he is a former tna champ

Why anyone would expect a decent wrestling game based on TNA is beyond me. Everything associated with that company is instant fail. That game looks terrible. It should be coming out at $30 ($20 for Wii and PS2).

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Yeah, around 8:15 or so.[/quote]

Damnit.. hopefully youtube will have it. That Brian Kendrick promo was fantastic... it's a shame I missed out on him lately. How long has he been THE Brian Kendrick?

[quote name='pitfallharry219']A little over a month, I think.[/quote]

Damnit... too much to youtube, but if anyone else missed R-Truth's promo and wants to check it out, it's already up.

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTbrpD5Orvk[/MEDIA]

[quote name='Purple Flames']Kendrick's promo reminded me a lot of Raven. That's a good thing.[/QUOTE]

You weren't alone. I wasn't paying attention and overheard it, and looked back (expecting to see Raven) and saw THEE Brian Kendrick.

In other news, the two guys suing WWE with Raven are Kanyon and Mike Sanders. I read a blurb where the WWE attorney's basic argument was "they signed a contract, so they have nothing to complain about." Which, though I'm not a lawyer, sounds like a really flimsy legal argument.

Why, on Earth, would WWE bring up Killings being a world champion in TNA when A. they have no reason to acknowledge TNA on-air, and B. it flies in the face of their present gimmick for him which is he is NOW a reformed convict trying to get his life back on track. Saying, "oh, by the way, he was a world champion in another company" would be incredibly stupid of them. Even mentioning his past as K-Kwik serves no purpose right now.

Overall SD thoughts -

Killings' debut didn't go very well, as the match was flat and the crowd sat on their hands through it, but it could've gone worse. I enjoyed hearing him use his final TNA theme in WWE, and as expected, he hit a few of his trademark spots. Not a very good showcase for him though, and the most compelling thing I got out of the match was Dykstra's pre-match promo. Kudos to WWE for condensing the R-Truth promos into one long to give anyone who might be unfamiliar with his character a chance to see it evolve - TNA should do that for the Rough Cut segments.

Jeff's promo was quite good this week, and I loved the pre-match video package running down the whole MVP-Hardy feud. I actually liked this match more than their PPV one - they paced it well enough so that it wasn't hurt by commercial breaks, and it was a fantastic showcase for both Jeff's ground-based offense, his high-flying antics, and MVP's suplex and kick-heavy style. Sick bump from Jeff off the top when he landed right on his head - after the deal with Cena, I hope they nix spots like that. Both Jeff and Bourne's similar bumps were sick - memorable, but needless, especially for a TV match.

Show massacring SD's tag division irked me a bit, but Show's awesome promo made up for it a bit - I find it impossible to hate what happened as he made it clear he was just doing this as retaliation for Vickie snubbing him, so him attacking the champs made more sense than this type of thing usually does.

Brie Bella's debut was more impressive to me than "R-Truth"'s debut - it was certainly more memorable, with her ducking under the ring for THE SWITCH!~ leading to her winning. I enjoyed seeing what's largely been a heel move since the Fabulous Ones in the '80s brought back as a face act - it'll be interesting to see what WWE does with this. THE BRIAN KENDRICK's promo about the Art of War, with Big Zeke giving him further info, ruled.

Shelton-HHH was a good, slow-paced match, but was less exciting to me than the MVP-Jeff Hardy match. I initially didn't like the finish of this all that much, with Khali coming down, distracting HHH, who wins despite this, leading to Shelton smacking him with the gold and then Khali hitting the tree slam on him.

The way they handled Shelton losing worked well, as Shelton ended up standing over HHH's fallen body, and I don't think he really lost anything, as he lost a long, well-fought match with THE top guy on the show - not a squash that completely neutered him.

Very good show overall - it had a great mix of fantastic wrestling and some fun comedy, and accomplished quite a bit - debuting two new talents, getting Show back over as a force, building up the Scramble match, and furthering the MVP-Hardy feud that ties into it.

Quotes -
Taker - Vickie, you want me to forgive you of all your sins. Well, there’s something I need to tell you - Im not the forgiving king. I will be coming for you, and I will be coming for your soul. And once I take it, you will burn! BURN IN HELL!
Dykstra - Now I’ve done everything I can to get this company to care about - has it worked? ABSOULTELY NOT! I’m a 22 year old hot prospect, while you’re nothing but a convict! Now I didn’t have no vignettes, no big interview, YOU’RE KENNY DYKSTRA, YOU CAN BARELY GET ON SMACKDOWN! I’ve never even been to jail, but maybe I should have - THEY NEED TO FOCUS ON ME, NOT PEOPLE LIKE YOU! Now that is the TRUTH!
(on Dykstra)J.R. - You want attention? GO WIN!
(on Dykstra)J.R. - If he didn’t have talent, he wouldn’t be on SmackDown!
J.R. - It looks like MVP was preparing for Jeff Hardy offense A, but got Jeff Hardy offense A1!
J.R. - Jeff Hardy channeling Ricky Steamboat with those deep arm drags.
J.R. - If MVP says he’s the highest-paid athlete on SmackDown again, I’m asking for a loan!
J.R. - Hawkins and Ryder are the youngest tag team in WWE history - they’re each 23 years of age.
J.R. - Hawkins, in case you’re confused, is the guy in the short tights.
Show - Hi! There seems to be a little confusion now on SD - it would seem like our GM is under so much pressure, she’s overlooking…certain…superstars. Vickie, I want you to listen to me carefully - I will never, EVER be overlooked again! And as far as what just happened here…my bad! OOPS! Let’s just call it…an oversight. Thank you!
Tazz - I used to have an outfit like Bre’s - but it was orange.
Kendrick - Last week, I won the biggest match of my career - SO FAR. Tonight, my opponents are battling each other - I, THE BRIAN KENDRICK, feels no need to lower himself to their level. Centuries ago “the Art of War” redefined warfare, and in 9 days, I redefine wrestling. It’s not about who wins the little battles - it’s about who wins THE WAR! There’s a fine line between genius and insanity, but if you know how to walk that line, you’ll know what’s standing in your way.
J.R. - WE’RE ABOUT TO PLAY A GOLDEN GAME - CHAMPION VS CHAMPION, NEXT!
J.R. - HHH is a student of the game - he watches hours and hours of DVDs and tapes.
J.R. - Shelton is very proud of being U.S. champion - 12 WWE Hall of Famers have held the United States title.

[quote name='JaytheGamefan']Why, on Earth, would WWE bring up Killings being a world champion in TNA when A. they have no reason to acknowledge TNA on-air, and B. it flies in the face of their present gimmick for him which is he is NOW a reformed convict trying to get his life back on track. Saying, "oh, by the way, he was a world champion in another company" would be incredibly stupid of them. Even mentioning his past as K-Kwik serves no purpose right now.[/QUOTE]

I don't know why they wouldn't say he was a NWA champion. That way they would even have to bring up TNA but they could still get him over as a really big deal.

I came into the Jeff/MVP match half-way through. That bump Jeff took of the top on his neck was pretty damn scary after what happened to Cena with his neck. The ending of the match felt rushed. I'm all for matches finishing without interference, but something just felt off about the way it ended.

What's Her Name who debuted against Victoria showed some promise, but needs some time to work on her overall presentation. Victoria is such an awesome heel diva. She needs another run with the belt.

FNFW III is up, incase you didn't get your fill already from Smackdown.

I like FNFW. Thanks!

No link for KENTA pt. 1 or Awesome/Tanaka 1 & 2. Are they there and is it just me or are they actually missing?

[quote name='neocisco']How long was "Above Average" Mike Sanders in the WWE, 20 minutes?

He's a solid C+, ya know.[/QUOTE]

He was in the WWE??

At least he had a cool finisher at the time; the 3.0 (Orton's weird headlock neck breaker).

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back