FREE classic computer games

Is Home of the Underdogs an "abandonware" site?

Yes and no. Many underdogs on this site have been discontinued by their publishers due to disappointing sales. They are therefore abandonware by definition. However, our goal is to pay tribute to underrated PC games of all ages, so you will also find reviews of recent underdogs that have not been abandoned by their publishers. In such cases, you will always find a link to either the official order page, or a large, reputable on-line store, in the "Get the game" box on the game's info sheet.

A quick way to find a list of most underdogs that are still sold by their publishers is to select "1997" or later years from the "By Year" drop-down menu on the left navigation bar. Most of these recent games are still sold by their publishers. We strongly encourage you to buy them-- their developers need all the income they can get to make future classics for our benefit :)

But isn't abandonware illegal?

Unfortunately, yes. Despite the fact that publishers no longer derive revenues from these games since they have stopped selling them (and any revenues from retailers that still sell them were gained a long time ago, at the time of sales), it is illegal to distribute them so long as copyright holders have not released them into the public domain, and 95 years after the games' release have not elapsed.

Great links. So are those games really free? And are they the full version of the original game?

a even better list with many more site and more and BETTER games can be found here --> http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=33&threadid=1207656&enterthread=y

4 DIRECT LINKS 2 EACH GAME CLICK THE ABOVE LINK, this is just the list 4 yall

Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory - World War 2 shooter

America's Army - Army shooter

GunBound - Worms clone

Freeciv - Civilization clone

Vega Strike - Space trader RPG

Frozen Bubble - Arcade game

Cube - Simple shooter

Legends - Tribes clone

Scorched Earth 3D - 3D Scorched Earth clone

Cannon Smash - Ping pong game

LGeneral - Panzer General clone

Armagetron - 3D Tron Clone

FooBillard - Pool

TEG - Risk clone

Hidden and Dangerous Deluxe 2 - World War 2 shooter

Grand Theft Auto - Original Grand Theft Auto

Cosmic Rift - Space ship fighter game
Contributed by Nohr

GeneRally - top down arcade racer

Stair Dismount & Truck Dismount - a couple cool games

Warblade - Galaga type game, the beta version is still free
Contributed by diegoalcatraz, links from CGW

Abuse 2 - Shooter based on 1995 original

Ancient Domains of Mystery - Huge RPG

Beneath A Steel Sky - Sci-fi adventure

Blip and Bop: Balls of Steel - Side scroller action

Colossus - Avalon Hill's Titan board game clone

Falcon's Eye - Graphical Nethack clone

Little Fighter 2 - Mortal Kombat style deathmatch

Notrium - Single player survival game

Steel Panthers: World at War - World War 2 RTS

Orbiter - Space flight simulation

Pekka Kana 2 - Side scroller action

Stick Soldiers 2 - Stick fighting game

The Ardennes Offensive - Action game based on the Battle of the Bulge

Vantage Master Online - Simulation RPG

Wazzal - Space privateering game
Contributed by Mloot

Subspace/Continuum - Space ship fighter game
Contributed by John P.

Warbirds III - WWII flight sim

Dawn of Aces III - WWI flight sim

Armored Assault - Tank sim
Contributed by igowerf

Dink Smallwood - Zelda-like isometric RPG

Ground Control - A great RTS game.
Contributed by M0oG0oGaiPan

Final Fallacy for RPGMaker 2000 - Huge RPG

Tetrinet - Puzzle game

Runescape - A free online rpg. You can play right from your browser or you can dl their small client app. Actually you can become a paid member and you get access to extra features but you are required to p2p.
Contributed by jimmyl930

Nethack - Rogue-like game

Super Bubble Blob - Platformer/Puzzle. Very challenging and fun.

Tetrinet 2 - Good tetris game

Flight of the Amazon Queen - Adventure game for ScummVM
Contributed by Maetryx

Angband - The spiritual descendent of the Rogue-like game, Moria. This is a "graphical" random dungeon, turn based game. You are represented by an '@' and the monsters in the dungeon are represented by letters (S = spiders, R = reptile, c = canine, o = orc, h = humanoid, H = giant humanoid). You can find potions (!), scrolls (?), rings (=), weapons (variously represented by the pipe and slashes). It is basically a Tolkien themed, single person, turn based, random dungeon game. And there are dozens of variations including sci-fi, Zelazney's Amber series.... etc.
Contributed by jjsole

Jardinains - A great pong/breakout game. There's a new version 1.2 that I've yet to try, looks nicer and more rich than 1.0.
Contributed by Jadow

Betrayal at Krondor - The CLASSIC rpg from Sierra in 1993 is available for free. When Sierra released their horrible quasi sequel Betrayal in Antara (no relation to the Krondor storyline) they released Krondor for free. It was about a 12 meg zip file to download. I know it can be found on the web still. While its an 11 year old dos game, BaK is one of the best RPG's ever made. Also, it was a very early try at being 3d (polygonal landscapes and mountains) and the graphics really, aren't that bad.
Contributed by QueBert

Icy Towers - This game is so basic, but I am stuck playing it! I love the theme music too.

Elastomania! - This is only a demo, but this is by far one of the most addicting and frustrating games I've ever seen. I got my Neices & Nephew hooked on it.

Clickomania! - I lub teh computar intarweb machen. A good puzzle game, has so many configuration options. I play for a week then change up the settings to make it like a whole new game.
Contributed by Jennerstein

One Must Fall 2097 - The old PC Fighting Game Classic.

King's Quest 1 - The Old King's Quest Classics remade by the Anonymous Game Developers.

King's Quest 2 - The Old King's Quest Classics remade by the Anonymous Game Developers.
Contributed by davidrees

Ultima IV - Arguably the best ultima game of all. If you have not played it and you like RPGs, you MUST play this game. It runs in DOS, but I think it works ok in a DOS box on modern versions of windows. I had a job once where I had to sit around for weeks waiting for something to break - passed the time with Ultima IV (and V which I owned).
Contributed by ArchStudent

Think Tanks - This is a pretty fun game/demo to play
Contributed by DannyBoy

Neocron MMORPG - This is a pretty fun game/demo to playHas a 10 day free-trial for those interested
Contributed by ViciouS

Unreal Tournament 2004 Demo - Is an awesome free game beta so its not quit a demo. Kool Vehicles awesome weapons and pretty stable for a Beta! Multiplayer and i think some single player.
Contributed by Mem

Unreal UFO-Alien Invasion - Is similar to the original X-COM UFO Defense game,the final full version will also be free as well, uses modded Q2 engine with resolution up to 1600x1200,so any turn based or X-com fans check it out.
Contributed by cw42

Allegiance - Allegiance was dev by Microsoft. It's a decent space shooter game.
Contributed by TimboAA

Tibia - A free MMORPG. My brother and his friend are playing it, I'm yet to try it out. Top view style game. Free, with the option to upgrade to a premium account for $$
Contributed by Firus

Soldat - Sweet 'Worms' style shooter with ragdoll physics, well worth the price
Contributed by Fuelrod

Zork I, Zork II, and Zork III - Classic text adventure games
Contributed by thornc

Pathological - Nice game written in Python!
Contributed by Da3dalus

Highway Pursuit - Really cool racing game with a bit of shooting
Contributed by Schadenfroh

Elder Scrolls: Arena - Great RPG

BZFlag - Great tank FPS game with CTF focus.
Contributed by Davegod

Tribes and Tribes 2 - The highly popular fps shooter, now released for free in anticipation of the release of Tribes: Vengeance.
Contributed by biostud666

Duke Nukem 3D - The popular classic FPS Duke Nukem 3D.
Contributed by Confused

Racer - A free cross-platform car simulation project (for non-commercial use), using professional car physics papers to achieve a realistic feeling. Cars, tracks and such can be created relatively easy (compared to other, more closed, driving simulations). Editors and support programs are also available to get a very customizable and expandable simulator. OpenGL is used for rendering. Pretty good simulation, with quite an established user-base, and lots of 3rd party cars/tracks.
Contributed by thenerdguy

Star Wars Games - A bunch of Star Wars Trilogy based games.
Contributed by so

Sim City Classic Live - An online version of the classic Sim City game.
Contributed by microAmp

Apple II Games - A collection of 1100 classic Apple II games.

Has anyone been able to get GTA 2 in the last week? I give the page a try every couple hours and have been permanetly SOL.

i have not gotten through to GTA2 yet, it's damn annoying. I was able to get the first two no problems when they first released.

bread's done
Back