Fallout 3--which system?

Jesse_Dylan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
For those of you planning to buy Fallout 3 immediately (I certainly am), which system are you purchasing it for?

I've posted this in the PC forum, so obviously I'm thinking PC, and hey, I had to put it somewhere. I actually bought a 360 in 2006 to play Oblivion. It went well, though I had some disc-read errors. However, these days, I have a decent PC, which I upgraded the hell out of over time. But since they're not releasing system requirements for Fallout 3 (still!), how am I to know?

My PC has an AMD dual-core processor running at 2.5 Ghz or so (per core), 4gb of RAM (why do I capitalize RAM but not gb?), and an Nvidia 8800 GT video card. I forget what variety the card is, but it's stock overclocked. I did a lot of research, and it's one of the best of the 8800s.

So you'd think my PC would run it better than my 360, but who the hell even knows?

Maybe if I were smart, I wouldn't buy it right away; I'd get demos on 360 and PC both and see how they run, how stable the different versions are, and I'd listen to comparisons from the gaming media and users.

Something else to consider is whether there will be user-created content. For Oblivion, there was a ton of stuff. I actually bought a copy of Oblivion for my PC as well and spent extreme amounts of time earlier this summer downloading a bunch of stuff and getting it all working together. (But have I actually played it? No. Lame.) I would have felt left-out, missing all that by just playing on 360, but I still had the core experience there, and it was fantastic and obsessing.

Except for the disc-read errors... (But the fall dashboard update, which will allow "installation" of games to a hard disc, solves that for the most part... and creates HDD space issues since I only have a 20gb drive.)

Another consideration might be that I play Xbox in a comfy chair. My PC chair is not comfy, and I already spend too much time sitting here. There is also the issue of interface device. Oblivion was great (probably best) with a mouse/keyboard, but it was fine on the control pad as well. I wonder how Fallout 3 will behave in that sense?

Sorry, that was long, but that's the dilemma. I already have the PC version pre-ordered for $49.99. There's another plus for the PC--it's $10 cheaper! I don't care about all the extras and junk.

Well, we really don't know what Fallout 3 is gonna require of your PC. However, I am pretty sure your PC would be able to play it on High Settings.

Now personally, I would get it on PC. PC is $10 cheaper, you get mods and you are more likely to continue receiving patches for it over time. Also, historically, most DLC as been free for the PC counterparts of console games. So that is an added bonus.

I also like sitting in my PC chair more then I do on my couch, but that is probably just me. However, I haven't upgraded my PC in awhile, so I am gonna get the game on 360.

However, with the 360, you do get to play on your HDTV if you have one, and you know that it will always run smoothly. Finally, on the 360 you get Achievements, which I personally like alot.

My HDTV is pretty small. :) So that's not too much of an issue, I guess. You're right that achievements are fun, even though I really don't care about gamer score.

Darn it. This is a tough decision. I guess I can always pick up the 360 version in a year or two if I go PC.

I'm getting the 360 version, because of the exclusive DLC, don't remember if they said the PC was getting that or not.

[quote name='ighosty']I'm getting the 360 version, because of the exclusive DLC, don't remember if they said the PC was getting that or not.[/quote]

Exclusive 360 download content=free on the PC in six months

I haven't been a computer gamer since around 2001, but since I've built a new computer I'll have to say the experience is superior for some games. I would never play NHL 08 or Burnout on a PC, but a game like Fallout was made for the PC. I would be shocked if the PC game isn't the superior version, even if the marketing suggests the console version is great.

I know I'm going to need to upgrade my system to get the full performance, even though I just built it. I'm hoping to score some BF deals. Maybe you could find a BF deal to upgrade your computer chair.

PC.

360 may have the exclusive DLC, but if the mod tools are coming, then I'd rather get good mods from the fanbase than Dog Armour from Bethesda.

[quote name='52club']...a game like Fallout was made for the PC. I would be shocked if the PC game isn't the superior version...[/quote]

Actually, if Oblivion is any indication, Xbox 360 is the lead platform. That doesn't mean it's better on 360 necessarily, as a good PC, or possibly even a PS3, can enhance something that's been originally programmed for a 360.

We ran into some problems with Oblivion, though; it really should have run better on the PC with good hardware, but it was held back by its 360 roots.

Again, that doesn't mean it's not better on PC necessarily. It just means it's not all it could have been.

[quote name='mrelusive']PC.

360 may have the exclusive DLC, but if the mod tools are coming, then I'd rather get good mods from the fanbase than Dog Armour from Bethesda.[/QUOTE]

Wasn't MS' plan to have the exclusive DLC on the PC, as well?

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Actually, if Oblivion is any indication, Xbox 360 is the lead platform. That doesn't mean it's better on 360 necessarily, as a good PC, or possibly even a PS3, can enhance something that's been originally programmed for a 360.

We ran into some problems with Oblivion, though; it really should have run better on the PC with good hardware, but it was held back by its 360 roots.

Again, that doesn't mean it's not better on PC necessarily. It just means it's not all it could have been.[/QUOTE]

Exhibit 2: Mass Effect. This game could've been so great on PC, but clearly the focus was 360 with PC as an afterthought despite what the developers promised.

Anyway, I'd say the mods alone are worth getting Fallout 3 on PC rather than XBox. Although if you really want to, pick up one and play through it and then pick up the other down the road after the price drops hit.

[quote name='keithp']Although if you really want to, pick up one and play through it and then pick up the other down the road after the price drops hit.[/quote]

That's what I did with Oblivion... Got it on 360 (although out of necessity) and recently picked it up on PC. But if I had it to do over again, maybe I'd just play it on PC in the first place. I'll have to see if the fall dashboard update and game installation features work well before going with the 360 version, I think. I don't know why this is such an agonizing decision for me. (I've got nice surround sound on my 360 as well, thanks to a CAG deal.)

I'll probably just stick with the PC version. There are just so many factors. Like which market do I want to support most?

But if I was going to play both versions, I'd probably want to start with 360. It might be hard to go back to after being spoiled by the PC version.

[quote name='Chacrana']Wasn't MS' plan to have the exclusive DLC on the PC, as well?[/quote]

I believe so. They're happy either way, I think. I suppose they get a bigger cut of the profits on the 360 version (thus the $10 hike on the console versions), but they kind of run the PC scene, too, with Windows. And all that "Games for Windows" marketing nonsense.

I'm getting it for PS3. Day one!

Only MS exclusive game I'll get it for 360. I'm tired of RROD.

I'm running a comparible system to yours and I'm planning on picking up the PC version. It's going to be $10 cheaper or more, it's reasonably easy to find good PC deals within a couple months of launch, all the "exclusive" DLC for the 360 will eventually come out on the PC for free and you'll have access to all those wonderful fan mods which can be a total blast.

However on the negative side it will likely come with more bugs, both Oblivion and Morrowind had a number of annoying bugs in with the PC launch version that took a bit of time to get patched.

If I get it I'm getting it for the PC. Shooters for me are always on the PC unless it does not come out on the PC or it comes out on the 360 or PS3 long befor it comes to the PC, like with the Halo games. However if they use punkbuster for their online multiplayer then chances are when the price drops I will be forced to get it for the 360.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']...We ran into some problems with Oblivion, though; it really should have run better on the PC with good hardware, but it was held back by its 360 roots...[/quote]

I think the main problem is that Bethesda can't make an efficient open-world game engine. Morrowind was a dog, too, even though it looked nice in its day it was horribly clunky drawing in the environment.

[quote name='whoknows']After deliberating long and hard I've decided to go with the Gamecube version.

Short load times FTW![/quote]
Get the PS2 version from 7-11. (reference to clueless 7-11 ad campaign just released this week) :cool:

edit: Oh, and I will be getting the PC version, probably waiting until late November. I have one Gamestop $25 giftcard, with a second GS $25 gc arriving around that time. "Free" game around the same time as the second round of patches. Kind of hard to beat that.

After all the cool mods Oblivion got I'll never be buying the console version of a Bethesda game again. I've been waiting for a decent deal on the PC version of Oblivion GotY for a long time now.

Seriously, go with pc. you have a good enough graphics card and processor. It was announced at the microsoft press conference at E3, the same place they announced the dlc for 360, that it was "xbox 360 and games for windows exclusive." It also is a games for windows game, so if you REALLY want to play it with a controller you can just plug it in and it will work. I have a similar machine that can run oblivion great so I don't see fallout 3 being a major problem for an 8800. And buy the game, please.

Anyone read anything bout copy protection on the PC version? While I'm a PC gamer at heart, these copy protection are getting ridiculous ...

This is probably determine which version is superior ... if the PC protection is crappy, I'll end up buying a ps3 version.

I don't think anything's been said in regards to that, but it's published by Bethesda, and they were hella lenient with Oblivion. There wasn't even a CD key - just put the disc in and you can play it. Now wasn't that nice?

[quote name='Chacrana']I don't think anything's been said in regards to that, but it's published by Bethesda, and they were hella lenient with Oblivion. There wasn't even a CD key - just put the disc in and you can play it. Now wasn't that nice?[/quote]
You make a good point. But the way publishers have been adding fucking protection schemes lately, you can't take anything for granted. I'll wait and see what, if anything, Bethesda is using. If they're using any form of Securom, then it's the Xbox 360 version for me.

Dude get it for whatever you use more of and show off with. PC/360.

I got it (pre-ordered) for my ps3 because I can bring it(my ps3) to my friends house and showoff the game....but I can't bring over my PC...I got it because I hate playing non-online games alone, better to show your friends, how you beheaded that guy, then to be in your room...alone going, "BOOYA, DID YOU SEE THAT!"..and no one's there to high-five you..lol

I'm in the same boat, I think I'll buy the PC version since it's $10 less and I prefer the mouse.

However, I'm still a bit hesitant seeing as the PC version of Oblivion was very buggy at launch.

[quote name='zionoverfire']
However, I'm still a bit hesitant seeing as the PC version of Oblivion was very buggy at launch.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but if Fallout 3 on PC doesn't ship with a ton of bugs it won't be true to the original Fallouts! :D

First review is out for it:

http://fallout3.wordpress.com/

93% from the magazine Jeux PC.

I'm definitely getting the PC version day 1, even though there's probably going to be some buggy shit going on. Then again, the 360 version will probably have a shitty framerate and be ugly like Oblivion. while my PC can probably max the game and run 60fps, especially if it's on a more optimized version of the Oblivion engine.

I just hope the writing isn't as boring as Oblivion. A lot of that probably just came out of it being a generic medieval fantasy setting, where I didn't really care what anyone had to say. A generic post apocalyptic setting is always more exciting, just on principle.

[quote name='ninja dog']
I just hope the writing isn't as boring as Oblivion. A lot of that probably just came out of it being a generic medieval fantasy setting, where I didn't really care what anyone had to say. A generic post apocalyptic setting is always more exciting, just on principle.[/QUOTE]

"Generic post apocalyptic setting"? No offense, but have you ever played any of the previous Fallouts? They're anything BUT generic I'd say, with a very defined universe filled with different factions and technology.

[quote name='keithp']"Generic post apocalyptic setting"? No offense, but have you ever played any of the previous Fallouts? They're anything BUT generic I'd say, with a very defined universe filled with different factions and technology.[/quote]

No, I haven't played them and generic isn't necessarily a bad word. Post-apocalyptic settings are their own subset in the sci-fi genre, as medieval settings are practically ubiquitous in the fantasy genre. Generic as in "of the genre." I know a lot of kiddies and critics have bastardized the word, but I'm not using it that way.

I'll get it for ps3.

Unless my pc's can run it

Number 1
2.8 p4 1, GB of ram,
ATI Radeon 9550 256 mb of ram

Number 2
1.7 Duo Core
2 GB of Ram
128 MB ATI XLT Graphics Card

I'm going to say no, but who knows I managed to push games before.

[quote name='Chacrana']Your style is generic, mine's authentic-made /

I roll like a renegade; you need clinic aid.[/quote]

125jckz.jpg

if that man are you, then WHO WAS THE TROUBLES?

Darthbudge said it all, PC for me! Extra content, cheaper price, and to add to his post, I can play it on my gaming laptop, so I can enjoy it at work, or out on my deck, or wherever----don't have to be tied to my TV at home!

Preordered the "Lunchbox Edition" on Amazon weeks ago for the 360. I prefer to explore vast, post-apocaplyptic wastelands from the couch/recliner/floor, as opposed to a chair squared up with a monitor. It just seems too 'epic' to not put on the 'big screen', too.

[quote name='keithp']Yeah, but if Fallout 3 on PC doesn't ship with a ton of bugs it won't be true to the original Fallouts! :D[/quote]

:lol:, True, true. Oddly enough Fallout 2 actually ran better for me on Vista and Win 98.:???:

Anyhow, I just preorder the PC version since the Windows Live 30% off deal was back in effect.

81% from swedish PC Gamer.

My one big worry is that it won't be fun to explore in this game. The loot in Oblivion was absolute shit, with no pay off after spending an hour going through a huge cave, except maybe an apple and some tongs. Outside of towns, it was just monsters, the occasional monument, and loot, but nothing interesting going on. I still had fun exploring for exploring's sake and dropped like 65 hours into the game, but I have no incentive to play it ever again.

For those of you on the fence, consider WAITING until a year or two after the game comes out, then getting the PC version!

Mods, Mods, Mods. For example, I'm playing through Oblivion right now with the FCOM conversion pack, which makes the game more difficult, challenging, and filled with diverse challenges. Mods that add extra quests. The unofficial (but should be official) patch that fixes tons of bugs. The (modded) game is leagues better than it was six months ago, and far far better than it was at relase.

[quote name='Gourd']For those of you on the fence, consider WAITING until a year or two after the game comes out, then getting the PC version!

Mods, Mods, Mods. For example, I'm playing through Oblivion right now with the FCOM conversion pack, which makes the game more difficult, challenging, and filled with diverse challenges. Mods that add extra quests. The unofficial (but should be official) patch that fixes tons of bugs. The (modded) game is leagues better than it was six months ago, and far far better than it was at relase.[/quote]

PC version doesn't come with mod tools on day 1 like Oblivion, so the wait may be even longer.

[quote name='ninja dog']PC version doesn't come with mod tools on day 1 like Oblivion, so the wait may be even longer.[/quote]

If they release mod tools at all...

That said, I'm still getting the PC version. I've got a good PC, so I don't think there's any point messing around with Xbox. I think the PC version links up to Windows Live and gives you achievements, too. I don't know why I care about the stupid things, but I do.

bread's done
Back