UPDATE: GOG.Com B1G1 Free

Kurina

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Update:

Beta keys have now gone out to those who signed up before the deadline. They are going out in waves each day, so check your email often to see if you get in. Here are the specific details regarding the Buy One Get One Free promotion for those who made it in:

Promotion rules:
  • 1. You need to have signed up for the Early Access Beta between July 10 and September 7.
  • 2. You have to register an account at GOG.com with the same email address as the one you've signed up with.
  • 3. You must place your first order during the Early Access Beta, between September 8 and September 21 at 11:59pm (EDT).
  • 4. You have to love classic PC games!

After your first order is successfully completed ($$$ cha-ching! $$$), you will receive an email with the bonus code. You can redeem the bonus code on the payment screen when placing an order. Just move your cursor over the "Redeem coupon code" option, enter the code into the text field that appears and click on the "Redeem" button. Be sure to enter all symbols in the code including the dash (-) and remember that the codes are case-sensitive.
IMPORTANT: you must remember that the bonus code:
  • 1. only works if you're buying ONE game at a time (i.e. you choose download now or you only have 1 game in your shopping cart),
  • 2. is valid until September 22 at 11:59pm (EDT), 2008,
  • 3. works only with Interplay games.
New games are announced every Thursday and released on Tuesdays. Thanks to Sporadic, here is a list of currently available games listed by price.

$5.99

Conquest of the New World - strategy, turn-based, historical - 75.5 MB
Descent + Descent 2 - shooter, fpp, sci-fi - 546.8 MB
Descent 3 + Expansion - shooter, fpp, sci-fi - 797.5 MB
Die by the Sword + Expansion - action, adventure, fantasy - 482.2 MB
Earthworm Jim 3D - action, adventure, platformer - 136.3 MB
Evolva - shooter, tpp, sci-fi - 443.8 MB
F/A-18E Super Hornet - simulation, combat, modern - 281.1 MB
Fallout - rpg, turn-based, sci-fi - 505.4 MB
Fallout 2 - rpg, turn-based, sci-fi - 579.6 MB
Fallout Tactics - rpg, strategy, sci-fi - 1.6 GB
Freespace + Expansion - simulation, combat, sci-fi - 829 MB
Freespace 2 - simulation, combat, sci-fi - 1.6 GB
Giants: Citizen Kabuto - shooter, tpp, sci-fi - 787.7 MB
Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising - strategy, real-time, sci-fi - 522.5 MB
Invictus: In the Shadow of Olympus - rpg, strategy, historical - 669 MB
Jagged Alliance 2: Unfinished Business - strategy, turn-based, tactical - 407.8 MB
Kingpin: Life of Crime - shooter, fpp, modern - 337.1 MB
Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader - rpg, action, fantasy - 699.4 MB
M.A.X. + M.A.X. 2 - strategy, turn-based, sci-fi - 613.4 MB
MDK - shooter, tpp, sci-fi - 74 MB
MDK 2 - shooter, tpp, sci-fi - 219.4 MB
Messiah - shooter, tpp, sci-fi - 408.5 MB

Original War - strategy, real-time, sci-fi - 978.3 MB
Redneck Rampage Collection - shooter, fpp, modern - 337.6 MB
Sacrifice - strategy, action, fantasy - 562.6 MB
Shattered Steel - action, fpp, sci-fi - 474.9 MB
Shogo: Mobile Armor Division - shooter, fpp, sci-fi - 248.5 MB

Stonekeep - rpg, action, fantasy - 425.4 MB

$9.99

1nsane - racing, arcade, off-road - 474.3 MB
Colin McRae Rally 2005 - racing, arcade, rally - 2.9 GB
I.G.I 2: Covert Strike - shooter, fpp, modern - 729.6 MB
Operation Flashpoint GOTY - shooter, fpp, modern - 732.6 MB
Perimeter - strategy, real-time, sci-fi - 1.3 GB
Soldiers: Heroes of World War II - strategy, real-time, tactical - 1.4 GB
Toca Race Driver 3 - racing, simulation, touring - 5.3 GB

---
Original Post:

I did a search and nothing came up, so thought I would point it out. This is my first deal so hope it's alright. :)

Good Old Games is offering to those who sign up before September 7th a chance to still sign up and get into beta. They'll be going out in chunks, but when your turn does come up, they are offering a buy one get one free deal.

The game selection seems approximately around 30 games at the moment (from what I've read), but there are a few good gems in there such as the Fallout series.

They just updated their site today with the information.

The Early Access Beta will offer all the main features of the site, including buying DRM-free games, joining the community and writing reviews. Apart from just getting access, everyone buys a game from GOG.com during the Early Access Beta will receive a bonus code to get one game from GOG.com’s Interplay catalogue for free! So what are you waiting for? If you haven’t signed up yet, be sure to enter your email address and get in on the action.
Anyhoo, for those looking for a trip down memory lane, I thought it was a decent deal.

Link: http://www.gog.com/en/intro

Last edited by a moderator:
I submitted my email a couple weeks back. I hope I get into the beta. Seems like a cool site.

i cant wait, maybe ill try fallout 1/2 to see what all the hype was about...also, i hope they have x-wing vs tie fighter since ive never played that either

X-wing vs. Tie Fighter would be awesome, never got to play that one. Loved Tie Fighter, so I'm hoping.

Seeing Fallout there made me sign up.

[quote name='HiddenPanda']X-wing vs. Tie Fighter would be awesome, never got to play that one. Loved Tie Fighter, so I'm hoping.

Seeing Fallout there made me sign up.[/quote]
Game is classic. I loved that when I was younger.

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']i cant wait, maybe ill try fallout 1/2 to see what all the hype was about...also, i hope they have x-wing vs tie fighter since ive never played that either[/quote]

twitch gamers wont be able to handle it due to the pace. If anyone can give it a few hours though they can pretty much rest assured they'll love it.

[quote name='qwerty1']twitch gamers wont be able to handle it due to the pace. If anyone can give it a few hours though they can pretty much rest assured they'll love it.[/quote]
I have to agree when it comes to the Fallout series. Some years ago my friends got me to try the games because I missed them when they originally came out. It is a little slow at the start, but I fell in love with it shortly after. So anyone trying it out for a first time, just stick with it a little ways if you can, it does get better. :)

I never played Fallout Tactics though, but I hear it was not as good as the original games. I am thinking about trying it though.

I signed up a while back but I also signed up the wife too... that means I could by 2 and get 2 more free if their purchasing would allow it.

This is definately a great service and I hope it works as easy as they make it seem... I know i'll drop 10-20 easy if it has games I want.... better than trying to get a dosbox going or booting to a w98 session.

You guys do realize a lot of these are on GameTap already? I think its great, but if you've been dying to play some titles mentioned in this thread, they're already available (not for sale and they have DRM, but still).

I think this service will complement but not replace GameTap nicely.

[quote name='turls']You guys do realize a lot of these are on GameTap already? I think its great, but if you've been dying to play some titles mentioned in this thread, they're already available (not for sale and they have DRM, but still).

I think this service will complement but not replace GameTap nicely.[/quote]

I would gladly pay for one for $5 instead of pony up $50-60 per year if that's all I'm getting. Again, one should compare the games offered... some are free on gametap.. but some are not.

most of this is licensing anyways... plus compatibility.

I guess we'll wait till what they offer when the beta starts....

[quote name='turls']You guys do realize a lot of these are on GameTap already? I think its great, but if you've been dying to play some titles mentioned in this thread, they're already available (not for sale and they have DRM, but still).

I think this service will complement but not replace GameTap nicely.[/quote]

GoG is DRMFree and a one-time-only fee.

Also - If GameTap decides to delist the game you like then you are s.o.l.
It happened with the Ultima games :\

[quote name='nexen']GoG is DRMFree and a one-time-only fee.

It happened with the Ultima games :\[/quote]

s.o.l.? Then you turn around and buy it. I'm not arguing about GameTap anyway, it just sounds like some of the posters in this thread don't know what is already available to them. And besides I covered all this--I mentioned DRM and not buying the game (obviously by not buying I meant you don't own it which means you lose it when they pull it)

Good Old Games is finally starting? Sweet!

I've been waiting for this site. I'm tired of paying too much for old games that don't work on my machine, and when I heard that this site was going to launch I was excited as hell.

I know it's only a beta, but it's still awesome.

Thanks for the news!

I'm actually pretty psyched about GOG. I have no clue what they're going to have to offer initially, but I'm definitely signed up for the early access so I can browse the catalog. I'd much rather pay a low fee and own a DRM-free copy of the game than "rent" or depend on the longevity of Steam's servers. :)

[quote name='HiddenPanda']X-wing vs. Tie Fighter would be awesome, never got to play that one. Loved Tie Fighter, so I'm hoping.

Seeing Fallout there made me sign up.[/QUOTE]

I hope you are not running Microsoft Vista, I could not get the game to run properly in it. Luckily I have an older system that is running Windows XP SP3 and it runs like a charm on it. This game is awesome, deserves a remake of the series. I loved X-Wing back then. I play X vs T F every now and then. Keeps the Star Wars feeling fresh. I don't have high hopes for Force Unleashed now that I've played the Xbox 360 demo.

Anybody think they might have Diablo 2? I know it seems like a far stretch since the battlechest goes for $40.

[quote name='R0wdi']Anybody think they might have Diablo 2? I know it seems like a far stretch since the battlechest goes for $40.[/QUOTE]

Not a chance. Blizzard would never let it go for $10.

[quote name='R0wdi']Anybody think they might have Diablo 2? I know it seems like a far stretch since the battlechest goes for $40.[/quote]
I believe the initial lineup is Interplay and Codemasters to start with, but surely they will add more and work with other companies. So many older games I would love to have again!

[quote name='s0undwav3']I hope you are not running Microsoft Vista, I could not get the game to run properly in it. Luckily I have an older system that is running Windows XP SP3 and it runs like a charm on it. This game is awesome, deserves a remake of the series. I loved X-Wing back then. I play X vs T F every now and then. Keeps the Star Wars feeling fresh. I don't have high hopes for Force Unleashed now that I've played the Xbox 360 demo.[/quote]

From what I understand, GOG games should run on XP and Vista.

[quote name='nexen']GoG is DRMFree and a one-time-only fee.

It happened with the Ultima games :\[/QUOTE]

Not to mention that GameTap has game files hidden so you're also sol if you have an itch to play around with mods or config files. Example, Fallout Tactics has a bonus mission that has to be enabled by a cfg file, and chances are that GameTap isn't going to have that enabled.

This actually sounds like a really nice service. Even though I already own most of the games they showcase on the front page, I'm interested to see how the system turns out since they seem to actually be improving the games so they'll run correctly on XP/Vista and possibly a few other issues that the games would have on modern hardware. I remember Fallout 2 had an odd way of doing the overland travel where you would move faster (and by extension have a lower encounter rate) if your CPU was faster...on modern computers you could get from Arroyo to Vault 15 on foot in about 30 seconds. If they went in and fixed things like that, it would definitely give people good reason to reply some of these games.

And of course, the lack of DRM is nice. I definitely want to see some of these games fully installed onto the harddrive with no need for a CD-key or virtual CD drive in order to run.

[quote name='R0wdi']Anybody think they might have Diablo 2? I know it seems like a far stretch since the battlechest goes for $40.[/QUOTE]

Blizzard has their own online store. More likely than not they aren't interested in putting their games on another online service, especially when dealing with CD-keys.

[quote name='Hostile']From what I understand, GOG games should run on XP and Vista.[/QUOTE]

Yup, that's one of the things they're supposed to be doing for the games, which is pretty cool.

To my knowledge, this is the very first time that real games are going to be sold through digital distribution, which is pretty cool.

Regarding Gametap, it's awesome too. It's so ludicrously cheap I don't know why everyone wouldn't already have it. I don't mind it's DRM since it's explicitly a rental (versus Steam, Direct2Drive, and the hundred thousand other rental services).

Anyone get their beta e-mail yet? I've been watching my inbox, but nothing so far. I know they're supposedly doing it in waves throughout the week, but I'm still hoping to get it sooner rather than later. :p

Nothing here yet either. Hopefully they will get to it sometime today. Watching my inbox as well, curious to see how it works!

[quote name='drock']My beta key just came through.[/quote]

so what are you waiting for???

Be a hero and throw up a list of what's offered...

(hoping for 35+ games)

Just read this over at SomethingAwful.

[quote name='"Tecman"']
Just got in, just bought Fallout and am waiting for my coupon to get Fallout 2 for free.

This is from their list of games (not all of them are available for purchase just yet):

1nsane - racing, arcade, off-road - 474.3 MB

Colin McRae Rally 2005 - racing, arcade, rally - 2.9 GB

Conquest of the New World - strategy, turn-based, historical - 75.5 MB

Earthworm Jim 3D - action, adventure, platformer - 136.3 MB

Evolva - shooter, tpp, sci-fi - 443.8 MB

F/A-18E Super Hornet - simulation, combat, modern - 281.1 MB

Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising - strategy, real-time, sci-fi - 522.5 MB

Invictus: In the Shadow of Olympus - rpg, strategy, historical - 669 MB

Jagged Alliance 2: Unfinished Business - strategy, turn-based, tactical - 407.8 MB

Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader - rpg, action, fantasy - 699.4 MB

M.A.X. + M.A.X. 2 - strategy, turn-based, sci-fi - 613.4 MB

Operation Flashpoint GOTY - shooter, fpp, modern - 732.6 MB

Original War - strategy, real-time, sci-fi - 978.3 MB

Perimeter - strategy, real-time, sci-fi - 1.3 GB

Redneck Rampage Collection - shooter, fpp, modern - 337.6 MB

Shattered Steel - action, fpp, sci-fi - 474.9 MB

Soldiers: Heroes of World War II - strategy, real-time, tactical - 1.4 GB

Stonekeep - rpg, action, fantasy - 425.4 MB

Toca Race Driver 3 - racing, simulation, touring - 5.3 GB

Most of these games are $5.99, which is a steal.
[/quote]

[quote name='Sporadic']Just read this over at SomethingAwful.[/quote]

nice job!

getting Stonekeep for sure, I know I have the big dos box from 1995, but didn't bother with installing it yet.

That's awesome if it'll work on XP.

Descent 1 & 2 are great buys also...

I wonder if they package a Dos Box with them... I don't know if they recoded the games to work outside of that though. would be too pricy.

Fallout will be another one I'd get.

Really hope the buy one get one free codes come fast.

Shattered Steel!!! No way! The one BioWare game I've never played.
Also - Die By The Sword expansion. YES. I love me some Die by the Sword and never managed to get a hold of the expansion.

I am rabid with anticipation for this service.

Good old games fixes their titles so that they work on XP/Vista/whatever is current. That's half the appeal.

don't forget the cool bonuses they will offer on some games like downloadable manual, wallpapers, soundtrack mp3's etc... ;) i own both Fallout & Fallout 2 but for the price and being able to play on my Vista box... I'll be buying both.

Aw guess I have to wait for the second wave. Surprised I didn't make it to be honest, I've been signed up for so long now. Maybe the next batch won't be to far away, was really hoping to play some of those games today. Either way, updated the original post, I hope that is okay. ^^

Yeah, no code for me today, so I guess maybe tomorrow. Hopefully it won't take too long. I've got a little money stashed that I'd like to give these guys. :D

New keys went out today as I just received mine. Looks like they are sending out the invites daily? If so that is pretty nice, shouldn't be long before most can get in! So keep checking this week.

I also verified the games list that was copied from Something Aweful and it is pretty exact. I also updated that list with the prices. All are $5.99 unless it has an asterisk beside the title, which means $9.99.

Still no key for me. :( Maybe I'll get it by the end of the day. I've been chomping at the bit to get into that site since I read about it. :p

Still waiting.

Also, hot damn. I was expecting the multi-game items (i.e., Freespace + Expansion, Descent 1 + 2, et cetera) to be the $9.99 ones, but it seems that isn't the case. $5.99 is a steal for these things.

[quote name='HiddenPanda']X-wing vs. Tie Fighter would be awesome, never got to play that one. Loved Tie Fighter, so I'm hoping.[/quote]Good stuff, though i was more about the kilrathi games.

those two are a couple favorites. Fallout & Fallout 2, also... but thats more known, 'specially with 3 coming out. Loved the music in Kingpin. Who was that again... cypress hill?

Site looks very cool. Good luck to everyone who's signed up for the beta.

[quote name='guinaevere'] Loved the music in Kingpin. Who was that again... cypress hill?

[/quote]

Yup, they did voice acting too

Are you serious??!? After all this time, I never realized that was them!
loopy_toungue.gif
:dunce:

bread's done
Back