FS:Trade Station Updates: ALL locations LIST + Dedicated Trade website.

gamer602

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
As I picked up my 360 at FS this morning, I noticed this on the EMPLOYEE GETAWAY...the video game trading program is coming 09/15 IT'S A NATION-WIDE ROLLOUT!

you get credit on a card..dunno if its TAX FREE like EB games....NOT!

Trade in Credit can be used on services AND ALL MERCHANDISE! Ipods...macs...ps3...whatever!

FS's formula for trade value:

USED price:
Divided by 2
Minus 10%
=Trade value!!!!

Example:
Mario Galaxy USED 39.99
Divided by 2 =$20!
Minus 10%
Final Value=$18

This is the formula for ALL GAMES! It can be mario galaxy and trade in at the same price as Horsez 3

All Gamecube and XBOX GAMES ARE EXCLUDED!!!

All SPORTS games MUST BE THIS year's OR LAST year's versions.
NO 07 & Prior games accepted!

List of participating locations:

2929976876_2156743691_o.jpg

http://www.futureshop.ca/marketing/usedgames/

Last edited by a moderator:
this is going to be such a gongshow. I really dont feel like futureshop knows what they are getting themselves into.

Futureshop sells new stuff. Some people walking into a Futureshop seeing used stuff for sale would be kinda weird. It would be like a flea market. They need a special counter just for games so people could trade in games and pre order games etc. It's not like we would walk up to the normal checkout and tell the guy/lady behind the counter that I want to trade in this game how much credits can I get for it. I made that mistake at Blockbuster Video. I thought we could trade in games at all Blockbuster locations lol. It made me look like an idiot.

[quote name='magiic']this is going to be such a gongshow. I really dont feel like futureshop knows what they are getting themselves into.[/quote]

I agree completely, and I hope it bombs here. There are more than two times as many EBs to Futureshops here, so there's more than enough competition, and I can't see them dedicat much floorspace to used games.

I really hope that have a separate counter for trade-ins. The customer service/returns lines are brutal enough, if you have to trade-in your games at that counter, you can forget it.

[quote name='rmatheso']I really hope that have a separate counter for trade-ins. The customer service/returns lines are brutal enough, if you have to trade-in your games at that counter, you can forget it.[/quote]

Agreed fully. If they don't plan on having a seperate counter I wont even bother. (Not that I really plan to anyways. I've never had an issue with EB really).

[quote name='ikariwarriors']I agree completely, and I hope it bombs here. There are more than two times as many EBs to Futureshops here, so there's more than enough competition, and I can't see them dedicat much floorspace to used games.[/quote]

lol, I've got 1 FS and 3 EB's in my area.

The last time I was at FS, they had a separate section for used games. Everything was in a hard plastic case so you couldn't see the condition of the disc and manual, though they only accept complete games for trade. There's also a couple computers there so I assume that's where they will do the trades.

While it's a good idea in practice (and EB needs competition especially in Vancouver), I don't think FS can compete with EB.

Honestly, I just hope they have ridiculous prices on crappy games (which they probably will!) and that you can use the credit on anything in the store.
If so, I'm interested as there are lots of games I want that are coming out soon.
I'll probably just stick to EB Trade 3s because they're more convenient.

in the memo, it also states that the USED game sales in Canada exceeds $80 million dollars, most of which goes to EB games...

This will probably bomb if they don't do it right. I'd say trade in as much crap as you can on day one before this idea goes the way of the dodo bird.

If the Broadway location is any indication, the trade-in values will be crap. The ONLY exception to this I found was Guitar Hero 3 (360) was trading in for like $25 when EB was dumping them for $5.

If anyone finds any games that trade in for $35+, please let me know (I need an HDTV).

I wonder what do they do with all the used games that doesn't sell, I see crap load of used PS2 games at EB all the time, and people don't buy much PS2 games anymore.

@rickyricardo: they just drop the prices until they sell. trust me, drop them to 2.99 or something like that and then advertise and they run out the door like old women that accidently walked in to a gay strip club.

[quote name='neksus']does this mean i should add fs tivs to the list? lol[/quote]

I think they just use a certain percentage of the retail price for TIVs. Last time I checked, $50 Wii games had $18 TIV. $30 games are around $8.

that's what popular consensus seemed to be from everywhere i've been reading since this first launched in the calgary stores - there seems to be the odd exception, though. perhaps they apply some type of demographic algorithm (or just look at their sales numbers :p ) and give more for games that fly off the shelf?

I can't believe the loyalty here for EB / Gamestop. These guys have been making a fortune off of lousy TIVs and high mark-up on used games. Do you think selling a new game for $5 less than retail and giving the gamer squat is fair? They need real competition. I hope this FS thing works out. They claim they pay better than EB and all games also carry a 30 day warranty that they work. Not bad IMO.

I'm definitely not anti-competition. I wholeheartedly embrace it, since it helps CAGs like me get a better deal. ;)

I just think FS is coming into the game a bit late, and I doubt their service or prices will stand out over BBV or EBG. Just another "meh" place to try and trade a game no one else will take.

I hope they prove me wrong.

@Lockescythe: yes, how much for GH3 harharhar! If it is 25 like someone said previous and IF my FS actually starts trades, then muaha etc.

This is going to be a joke. There are going to be so many opportunities for "GH3 x12" its not even funny. I really believe that FS/BB has absolutely no idea how this market is going to work, and its going to go the way of the dodo bird. But good luck, and I'm praying there are lots of GH3 x12 opportunities. I'm not complaining, believe me I liked my $300 Blockbuster credit as much as the next person.

[quote name='squeeky']I can't believe the loyalty here for EB / Gamestop. These guys have been making a fortune off of lousy TIVs and high mark-up on used games. Do you think selling a new game for $5 less than retail and giving the gamer squat is fair? They need real competition. I hope this FS thing works out. They claim they pay better than EB and all games also carry a 30 day warranty that they work. Not bad IMO.[/quote]

I wouldn't call it loyalty. It's just that EB/GS's business model has worked well for many years and FS attempting to put a dent in that market seems half-hearted and not well thought-out.

[quote name='Placebo']This is going to be a joke. There are going to be so many opportunities for "GH3 x12" its not even funny. I really believe that FS/BB has absolutely no idea how this market is going to work, and its going to go the way of the dodo bird. But good luck, and I'm praying there are lots of GH3 x12 opportunities. I'm not complaining, believe me I liked my $300 Blockbuster credit as much as the next person.[/quote]

Yes, they don't know how the hoarders work. How many times will we see people flip games between Blockbuster, EB/GS, and FS now?

I am by no means a hoarder - I have never picked up more than 3 copies of the same game (assuming I'm keeping one - if I'm not I don't go over 2) - but I am by no means against flipping between the various stores to increase the potential of my dollar.

My FS just renovated their entire GAME section, and now has two kiosks set up for trade -ins!!!

Once again, confirmed with a different employee that 9/15 is the start date.

I don't exploit trade-ins, flip games, or do that kind of stuff. I just hope regular shoppers like me will benefit from the added competition.

Aighteo... so here's the used games spiel.

FS is going to have separate sections for each system for used games, which is why everyone's seeing empty sections (or barely stocked, some managers do not like to keep empty shelves, I on the other hand keep 'em empty, it makes people wonder why it's empty and I tell 'em that we get used games and it gets people interested) at FS entertainment sections.

We'll have competitive TIVs than EB (dur if we want to do this we have to give people incentives :D), and every store's top nerd will be taking charge of taking in used games, so we won't have 12 GH3s getting traded in, so RFD lurkers you can sit and spin :).

How games get traded in:

- We take your game, give you store credit and the game will be put into this GIANT bin where X times a week it will be sent to a third party company.

- The company will sift through the mounds of games and it will filter out the shit, which means you won't see twenty copies of World Championship Poker for the 360 on the shelves. That's right, only good games (I know what a "good game" is relative, but do YOU want to see WCP on the used games shelf?) will be sent back to the stores.

- Said independant company will then clean up the games to be sent back to the stores, maybe throw in a new case (if said case is too crappy and messed up) and so on.

So that's it.

Afterwards the prices for used games will be competitive as well.

Oh oh also, stores in the GTA might not be getting them on the 15th as previously thought, something about a vendor's license mix up (the ones that pawn shops and EB Games have) but head office brass wasn't too clear about this.

Hm, that's interesting. I wonder what will happen to the games that aren't considered "good" after that third-party company gets ahold of them, then.

Maybe they go off to EB :D

[quote name='ikariwarriors']Hm, that's interesting. I wonder what will happen to the games that aren't considered "good" after that third-party company gets ahold of them, then.

Maybe they go off to EB :D[/quote]

They don't go into detail about that 'cause after it gets over there it's not in our hands until it comes back, but I'm sure they take into consideration hidden gems (Beyond Good and Evil anyone?) and stuff like that on top of general reviews and such.

Nice inside source, kathos. So then basically used game buyers are paying TIV to prev owner, FS profit and 3rd company to clean up the disc? Either used game price is bad enough or TIV isn't good. Unless FS is doing this for non-profit....

Will the credit be applied for the whole store? or will they make it somehow separate for games only? I've got some games I don't mind trading in if it'll help give me credit for a TV i'm planning on buying :D

[quote name='danthemightyone']Nice inside source, kathos. So then basically used game buyers are paying TIV to prev owner, FS profit and 3rd company to clean up the disc? Either used game price is bad enough or TIV isn't good. Unless FS is doing this for non-profit....[/quote]

As an ex-employee of FS for a few years I can confidently say that them doing this not-for-profit is totally possible. They would simply be doing it to stifle the competition.

[quote name='danthemightyone']Nice inside source, kathos. So then basically used game buyers are paying TIV to prev owner, FS profit and 3rd company to clean up the disc? Either used game price is bad enough or TIV isn't good. Unless FS is doing this for non-profit....[/quote]

On the 3rd party issue EB does it as well with their systems and such, so dunno how much FS is paying for the privilege.

But on the TIV and used game price issue the memos clearly state we'll be having competitive rates in both areas.

[quote name='AJD23']Will the credit be applied for the whole store? or will they make it somehow separate for games only? I've got some games I don't mind trading in if it'll help give me credit for a TV i'm planning on buying :D[/quote]

Yeah as far as I know you'll receive a generic gift card with the amount of your trade-in, so to anyone planning on trading in games for a washer or something it's your lucky day! :D

[quote name='Lockescythe']kathos can I trade in 1 GH3?

Picked up one for online trading and noones bitten ever. lol.[/quote]

But of course :D, once the system is in place though, the system's going live on the 15th nationwide but again, GTA stores might be in for a short delay.

Calgarians and Vancouverites, post the TIVS! I have a feeling that they will be the same nation-wide...so post the trade values!

Also, if they are NOT TAX-FREE like EB, I plan on calling into their HQ to complain...anyone with me? Anyone know if its Tax-FREE?

[quote name='gamer602']Calgarians and Vancouverites, post the TIVS! I have a feeling that they will be the same nation-wide...so post the trade values!

Also, if they are NOT TAX-FREE like EB, I plan on calling into their HQ to complain...anyone with me? Anyone know if its Tax-FREE?[/quote]

Ooo, I forgot about Tax-Free credit like EB, unlike BBV :roll:
It would make it all the sweeter and automatically put FS at the 2nd spot (maybe even 1st) of my "where-to" trade stores, provided TIVs are similar. If not...let's COMPLAIN AWAY! :lol:

[quote name='magiic']If the TIV dont suck I may trade a bunch of stuff into get a GPS lol[/quote]

Nonsense magiic we all know you can not afford a car...

A scooter, perhaps?

haha Im not even using it for a car (I actually dont even my full license yet, only my learners). Im going to New Zealand/Australia for 9 months and dont want to get lost lol

I will be using it walking. I will use it in a car when I get back though.

New Zealand? Shit, no wonder you were pouncing on the deals lately. NZ is probably on of the worst places for video game "deals". Take advantage of FS while you still can.

bread's done
Back