Problem getting HD res through component

Nobi-Wan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
The only HDTV I have in my house is an older 30" Loewe Aconda. I play my Xbox 360 fine through the VGA but just got a PS3 and hooked it up through the component ports in the back. The problem is that I'm only getting SD resolution because when I go to the Video Output Settings (on the PS3) I try to check any of the boxes that say 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p but I get a crappy distorted picture every time and am forced to resort to going back to 480i.
frown.gif

Can anyone give me some help to get my PS3 in HD? The component cables are hooked up, the PS3 works great... but I'm wondering if there's something I'm missing. Is there a setup feature that I'm overlooking?

Thanks in advance!!

Can you look into the documentation on the TV to find out what resolutions it can accept through the component inputs? (Their customer service website would be the first place I'd look, followed by the AVS Forum.)

My guess is that your HDTV only has one input that accepts a HD signal (the VGA port). I believe there are adapters you can buy to convert HDMI into VGA....but I'm not certain on that.

IIRC, the XBox 360 comes with component cables....have you ever tried hooking it up that way to see whether your HDTV can accept an HD signal over its component inputs?

(I know the PS3 had some scaling issues with earlier HDTVs - Resistance was notorious for having scaling issues with 1080i resolution TVs which couldn't accept a 720p input, IIRC. That might be what you're running into. Are all games / movies coming in with this kind of distortion, or just a few?)

Wait, so what's the point of a component connection if it can't do HD? I'm a bit noobish on this subject.

Yes my 360 is hooked up through the VGA and looks absolutely great on the set. I've looked into hooking up the HDMI through the VGA but it looks as though I'd only be able to get it to hook up to a DVI and then a VGA adaptor but I believe I'll lose some audio that way. Is this true?

Thanks for the response by the way. I also emailed support at Loewe but there hasn't been a response yet.

[quote name='Nobi-Wan']Wait, so what's the point of a component connection if it can't do HD? I'm a bit noobish on this subject.

Yes my 360 is hooked up through the VGA and looks absolutely great on the set. I've looked into hooking up the HDMI through the VGA but it looks as though I'd only be able to get it to hook up to a DVI and then a VGA adaptor but I believe I'll lose some audio that way. Is this true?

Thanks for the response by the way. I also emailed support at Loewe but there hasn't been a response yet.[/QUOTE]Let me just say, JUST because a TV has component, doesn't mean it will do HD. If your TV supports multiple resolutions (like 720p, 1080i, etc.), it can do HD via component. If it only goes up to 480i, then all component does is give you prettier colors (and maybe slightly sharper).

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Let me just say, JUST because a TV has component, doesn't mean it will do HD. If your TV supports multiple resolutions (like 720p, 1080i, etc.), it can do HD via component. If it only goes up to 480i, then all component does is give you prettier colors (and maybe slightly sharper).[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Before the onset of HDTV, standard definition TVs also used component inputs. The Mana Knight hit on all the major display formats (with the exception of 480p).

I've looked into hooking up the HDMI through the VGA but it looks as though I'd only be able to get it to hook up to a DVI and then a VGA adaptor but I believe I'll lose some audio that way. Is this true?

Yes, and no. The VGA port carries only video; HDMI is capable of sending both video and audio. You can't get audio into your system through HDMI, but you don't need to use the HDMI to send audio; the PS3 allows you to use stereo (the red and white plugs on your composite video cable) or a digital audio output. (I can't remember if it supports TOSLINK or Digital Coaxial outputs for audio; I use the HDMI.) The audio is configured separately from the video in the PS3 settings; as long as you tell it to use something other than HDMI, it should work just fine.

bread's done
Back