$700 Crisis Gaming PC! Tigerdirect.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

S0DA POPINSKI

CAGiversary!
Feedback
45 (98%)
Seems like a pretty good deal. Not out yet, but I figured I'd give CAGs the heads up. I may get one.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/campaigns/campaigntemplate.asp?CampaignID=716

sysx_crysis_01.jpg

This thing amuses me.

The official Crysis PC, and it'll still fall to pieces if you try and play the game in max detail at a decent resolution.

[quote name='st0nedpenguin']This thing amuses me.

The official Crysis PC, and it'll still fall to pieces if you try and play the game in max detail at a decent resolution.[/quote] From what I've been told this PC would handle max Crysis at 30 FPS

Edit: W/O AA

Still a good deal on a cheap gaming PC IMO

What a piece of crap. This is a LOW end gaming PC...it wouldn't cost much more to build something on the mid to high end if you did it yourself.

Yeah, but it's tigerdirect, which sucks enough as it is. Save yourself a few bucks, and build it yourself. Nonetheless, thanks for the post OP.

Okay not sure it's a LOW end piece of crap rig. It's not a bad deal, but for Crysis you might want something a bit more modern than a 9800GT.. and 2gb ram ain't gonna cut it. For $700 you could do better :(

Horrible deal. You can build the same thing, with better quality parts, for $599 easily.

There is a PC section of the forums as well.

[quote name='S0DA POPINSKI']
Still a good deal on a cheap gaming PC IMO[/QUOTE]

An Xbox 360 is $200-$300, a Playstation 3 is $400. Yet a "cheap" gaming PC is $700, now that's ridiculous.

Why is this topic in "Old School & Other Gaming Systems"?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='S0DA POPINSKI']From what I've been told this PC would handle max Crysis at 30 FPS

Edit: W/O AA

Still a good deal on a cheap gaming PC IMO[/QUOTE]

Not a chance in hell. I have TWO gtx280 cards in my PC, each of which has at least double the power of this card, and I still drop under 30fps on a couple levels running DX10 maxed at 1920x1200.

This PC will stay under 10FPS most of the time on max settings.

Depends on what res you run it on. Crysis is okay performance wise at lower res but eats up monster pcs at higher res.

At 1280x1024 on mostly very high settings (Q6600, Vista, 2GB DDR2-800, 8800GTS OC) I was getting 30. Turning some stuff down (lighting and shadows suck performance), turning AA off or keeping it at 2x made it run at 40. This was just the demo though.

[quote name='Jest']Horrible deal. You can build the same thing, with better quality parts, for $599 easily.

There is a PC section of the forums as well.[/quote]

I'm sure myself and other CAG's would appreciate you attempting to build a similar system with an OS for the same price. Please provide links to the components so others could take advantage.

Speaking from my own experience of building my own PC recently this is a pretty good deal IMO. Sure it isn't top of the line, but if you want to save a little $$$ and get slight downgrade in the quality of the components this isn't a bad way to go.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']An Xbox 360 is $200-$300, a Playstation 3 is $400. Yet a "cheap" gaming PC is $700, now that's ridiculous.[/QUOTE]Of course a gaming PC with parts that just came out within the last few months will be more expensive than consoles that have been out for 2+ years...

But yeah, why this forum?

[quote name='Jest']Horrible deal. You can build the same thing, with better quality parts, for $599 easily.

There is a PC section of the forums as well.[/QUOTE]

Doubt it really.

Figure shipping etc.

This was their "test" pc so supposedly it will run a min of 30fps regardless of action.

[quote name='help1']Still more than a 360.[/QUOTE]A 360 still costs more than a DS.

I can make irrelevant comments too. :D

[quote name='JCDenton']Not a chance in hell. I have TWO gtx280 cards in my PC, each of which has at least double the power of this card, and I still drop under 30fps on a couple levels running DX10 maxed at 1920x1200.

This PC will stay under 10FPS most of the time on max settings.[/quote]
Do you realize what you just said? Obviously you're not gonna run it at those settings. He didn't say 30FPS at max settings. He said it can run at 30FPS.

[quote name='Clarke']Do you realize what you just said? Obviously you're not gonna run it at those settings. He didn't say 30FPS at max settings. He said it can run at 30FPS.[/QUOTE]

Maybe you should read what he said, douche.

From what I've been told this PC would handle max Crysis at 30 FPS

It's just absolutely laughable to market this PC as a "Crysis" pc and it will do nothing near "max Crysis." This PC can handle an acceptable framerate at 1280X1024 medium settings in DX9 mode. The graphics card is on par with but slightly worse than the 8800GT and the 8800GTX...which are ancient technology and have long been recognized as inadequate for Crysis.

I don't see how this PC is worthy of any attention at all...why throw away $700 on something that is already obsolete when you could build a really good PC for

Well, you guys can argue about how you can get an Xbox 360 or PS3 for $300/$400 but a PC is more than just a gaming system. I know current gen systems have expanded to include some PC features but they still can't do a ton of things PCs can.

Some people will need a good PC and is a nice extra... just as videos/music/whatever were nice extras with the PS3/360.

Anyone who argues that a gaming PC is expensive usually misses the point that gaming is only one of the things you can use a PC for.

On my PC I do a whole lot of things apart from playing games :
Watching movies
Listening to music
Internet browsing
Office stuff
Download media
Program
Create media

And people who argue that a cheaper PC can do all that are right but what is the extra cost of gaming? An extra $300 or so dollars over a regular PC? $300 that enhances you almost everything you do and enables you to play games. That is a bargain.

This PC is not meant for people who can build their own PCs. It is meant for the person that either wants to get into PC gaming or are not technically inclined with out paying an arm and a leg for those "specialty" computers from Alienware. This is computer is one of the first "affordable" gaming targeted PCs that actually costs a fair amount.

The interesting this is that the 360 is really just a stripped down PC. PC gaming is struggling because consoles are becoming more and more like PC's.

[quote name='52club']The interesting this is that the 360 is really just a stripped down PC. PC gaming is struggling because consoles are becoming more and more like PC's.[/QUOTE]

That's probably the smartest thing anyone's said in this entire thread.

[quote name='52club']The interesting this is that the 360 is really just a stripped down PC. PC gaming is struggling because consoles are becoming more and more like PC's.[/quote]

PC gaming is struggling?

I really wouldn't say so. Retail sales? Yeah, they are down. But online sales? No way. Include things like WoW and other MMO income and PC gaming is a monster.

I couldn't really find a neat chart or anything so I will give you these short links about the revenue from PC games in 2007.

http://www.npd.com/press/releases/press_080131b.html

This article puts PC gaming at around $1 Billion for 2007 in the US. Now, that is for retail only. Another thing to keep in mind is that PC hardware like graphics cards do not count towards that, that is just software, whereas in the console revenue hardware and accessories are included(Nintendo is raking in the big bucks if you count accessories).

So not counting hardware or online things, PC gaming from a retail standpoint is last in place. And this is after all the other brands new(PS3,Wii,PSP,360,DS) and old(GBA,PS2).

Now according to :
http://www.dmwmedia.com/news/2008/08/19/report:-online-pushes-pc-game-industry-$10.7b-2007

*I realize this is an article talking about world wide sales.

Retail PC sales account for only %30 of PC gaming, in terms of revenue. So there is %70 unaccounted for. So if %30 was $1 billion then there is roughly $2.3 billion unaccounted for.

Also, if we look at just online revenue from games we can see here : http://www.pr-inside.com/asia-generates-half-of-the-world-r493052.htm

That %90 of that was made from PC games in 2007, which is a huge percentage.

So I believe that PC gaming is doing pretty damn good. Assuming these articles are correct, which I doubt they would be wrong.

[quote name='Photomotoz']Anyone who argues that a gaming PC is expensive usually misses the point that gaming is only one of the things you can use a PC for.

On my PC I do a whole lot of things apart from playing games :
Watching movies
Listening to music
Internet browsing
Office stuff
Download media
Program
Create media

And people who argue that a cheaper PC can do all that are right but what is the extra cost of gaming? An extra $300 or so dollars over a regular PC? $300 that enhances you almost everything you do and enables you to play games. That is a bargain.

This PC is not meant for people who can build their own PCs. It is meant for the person that either wants to get into PC gaming or are not technically inclined with out paying an arm and a leg for those "specialty" computers from Alienware. This is computer is one of the first "affordable" gaming targeted PCs that actually costs a fair amount.[/QUOTE]

My PC can do all those things and costs $130. My 360 can play recent games (with more recent console-only than PC-only games) and watch HD movies and costs $150. $700 for one machine that can do both is not a bargain, nor a fair amount.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']My PC can do all those things and costs $130. My 360 can play recent games (with more recent console-only than PC-only games) and watch HD movies and costs $150. $700 for one machine that can do both is not a bargain, nor a fair amount.[/QUOTE]Really... this whole argument about the pricing is getting stupid.

We've already established that PC gaming costs more compared to the current consoles. Why drag this on?

And it doesn't help when you're comparing a $700 PC made out of recent parts, to a 3+ year old console that just had a significant price cut, then artificially lower the price to serve your argument (last time I checked, $150 isn't MSRP for a 360).

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back