Community Feedback Poll - Game Piracy

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Recently, some CAGs have been posting early impressions of games which were obtained via piracy. I want to poll the community to see if your fellow CAGs should be allowed to post reviews/impressions from pirated software. Please vote via our built-in polling system!

Note: Only CAGs registered for 30 days or more will be eligible to vote

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes.

As a gaming site, early impressions could cause more or less people to buy the game depending on how good it is, instead of having to wait until the release date and then reading reviews.
Also, despite common sense, you can't exactly say that said people are indeed pirating the game, they MIGHT have actually purchased it early somewhere.

If you allow it to be posted, you reward piracy. Simple as that. They get to be "first," and enjoy the attention they get (which they will try to leverage into getting people to get them Xboxes via referral services or some other stupid b.s.). Some of them will try to claim that they are "doing the community a service by letting people know if the game is worth buying before it comes out in order to save them money." This is a shameful lie.

A.) They are doing it to try to bolster sympathy for their shameful practice.
B.) They have already stated their position on whether someone should buy it because they DIDN'T see fit to buy it.
C.) Their opinion holds no more weight than any other review a CAG could use to determine their purchases.

In short: pirates suck, and should be driven out like filthy beasts.

First of all, you don't know for sure if the games were pirated to begin with, as I don't believe anyone flat out stated they pirate games on this site

Second, what happens if the community decides 'no'? Will there be penalties for any mention of any game prior to release date? What release date would you use in the case of games released in Europe or Japan first? Will you start cracking down on import impressions as well?

Finally here is a question for the CAG community:

Is there any difference if someone pirates a game or buys it used from Gamestop for the games publisher?

:whistle2:k

[quote name='Salmonday']If you allow it to be posted, you reward piracy. Simple as that. They get to be "first," and enjoy the attention they get (which they will try to leverage into getting people to get them Xboxes via referral services or some other stupid b.s.). Some of them will try to claim that they are "doing the community a service by letting people know if the game is worth buying before it comes out in order to save them money." This is a shameful lie.

B.) They have already stated their position on whether someone should buy it because they DIDN'T see fit to buy it.
C.) Their opinion holds no more weight than any other review a CAG could use to determine their purchases.

In short: pirates suck, and should be driven out like filthy beasts.[/quote]

Could you link to somewhere where someone was using them playing a game early to leverage referrals or something else like that? I have personally never seen this before...

Also, I believe the terms used in the original post are misleading, that would be stating that ALL people who got the game early pirated it. That is simply not true.

I'd say yes. Why not? Yes, the act of piracy is illegal and no one should do it, but simply talking about it doesn't matter. If people want to give their impressions on games early, then why not let them.

Maybe, Anyone that claims a pirated copy should have their post deleted because piracy should not be rewarded. However there is also what Darthbudge said, not every early release is a pirated copy.

[quote name='manthing']

Is there any difference if someone pirates a game or buys it used from Gamestop for the games publisher?

:whistle2:k[/quote]

Yes, there is one less used copy on the market. Less used copies on the market increases the likelihood that the next purchaser will have to get a new copy, even if only by a tiny amount.

No. Piracy hurts the industry and by no means should it ever be encouraged in any way, shape, or form on this site. There are plenty of places online to find reviews for games prior to their release, so reviews from someone pirating software does no service to anyone.

I do, however, agree with darthbudge's point that it can be difficult to tell whether a game has been pirated if the reviewer doesn't come right out and admit it. Stores do break street dates.

If they want to review in their blog, so be it. I would certainly be interested to read impressions of a game as early as possible. I can't , however, see it as anything but tempting fate should it become a site advertised practice. For example, if the blog in question is only visited for the time it remains on the "new blog" page and then falls to the wayside, fine. If an early review from a pirated copy is chosen for the front page announcements, probably not the best call.

[quote name='Salmonday']If you allow it to be posted, you reward piracy. Simple as that. They get to be "first," and enjoy the attention they get (which they will try to leverage into getting people to get them Xboxes via referral services or some other stupid b.s.). Some of them will try to claim that they are "doing the community a service by letting people know if the game is worth buying before it comes out in order to save them money." This is a shameful lie.

In short: pirates suck, and should be driven out like filthy beasts.[/quote]Very well stated.

[quote name='manthing']

Finally here is a question for the CAG community:

:whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

My opinion on that is:
if everyone pirated MvC2 and sales were slow, wouldn't that seem like the demand for the game was low and thus make us less likely to get a sequel? So because the 1st game doesn't sell I think it woudl in fact affect publishers as they'd be less likely to produce something that it seems there is no demand for. Sadly , I'm pretty sure Gamestop's sales numbers matter in some way. whether used or new its a game sale and definitely matters in the end. Used game sales reflect the popularity of certain games (not being able to keep any stocked/on the shelves) Don't you think so?

Yes, but with an addendum:

If an early getter decides to get the game and praise the game, fine. Let him. People can see how he's enjoying the game and might feel elated to buy the game to experience the same thing. Heck, if the pirater is enjoying it, it leads to buying the game(in some cases, I understand it's not everyone).

If an early getter decides to criticize the game, then he must post a warning that any problems he has encountered with the game may be a result of pirating the game. No-CD cracks, security workarounds, all of those may cause issue with the game. This is necessary. In reference to the old THQ game Titan Quest, they had a security feature where they checked for legitimacy at the first dungeon. If you did not have a legit copy, it would just boot you to the desktop, no warning. As a result, piraters complained about "random crashes" and it killed the game's PR. If piraters want to criticize the game, they must indicate that they have pirated it. If they don't want to indicate piracy, but still want to criticize the game, then allow reporting him for fraud and someone jumping on the bandwagon of hate, regardless of whether he actually pirated the game or not(since it's impossible to tell).

In this way, you take the title of pirater, but can give your evaluations on a game. Or, you can avoid the title, but must shut up about the game until release. The question is whether your influence outranks how people interpret you. This is the best system I think.

[quote name='CheapyD']Recently, some CAGs have been posting early impressions of games which were obtained via piracy. [/quote]

[quote name='darthbudge']Also, I believe the terms used in the original post are misleading, that would be stating that ALL people who got the game early pirated it. That is simply not true.[/quote]

:whistle2:s

[quote name='CheapyD']:whistle2:s[/quote]

SOME CAGs, yes. However, it leads people into believing that the only way said CAGs could get games early is through illegal means. I see my local Walmart break street date fairly regularly.

[quote name='manthing']
[/QUOTE]

Buying a preowned game helps the publisher in that Gamestop is a publicly traded company so publishers have detailed reports on their earnings. They see that Gamestop is profiting from used games so they start producing DLC and even whole downloadable games that become locked into the purchasers system.
Plus, the distribution of a preowned game to a pirated rom is much smaller. So the original purchaser to end owner is more of a 1:1 ratio vs the 1:XXXX ratio of online piracy.
That all said, of course you should buy new if you want to encourage the developer to continue to make similar games. Buying used or piracy both send the message to the developer that 'this isn't worth my money'.

I say absolutely not. I realize it's not quite the same scale, but you wouldn't allow people to steal cars to write early reviews for them...why would games or anything else be okay?

[quote name='NegativeZero']Nope, unless said person can prove that its not pirated and was actually purchased early. But often that is unlikely.[/quote]

Guilty until proven innocent?

Unless the reviewer flat out states they got their copy via piracy, there's no way to prove how a person got their copy early. And everyone has their right to their own privacy, to ask how one got their copy is instrusive and really nobody's business but their own. If they want to share, fine. But this site does not have to go the way of martial law.

Also, If Speedy1961 is leaking ads early to help benefit CAGs and customer's alike, I don't see it any different as one obtaining an early copy of a game. If you are going to punish one for posting a review early, you might as well have speedy stop posting ads early as well.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']No.

While not exactly the same, this is too similar to Speedy getting in trouble for getting Circuit City ads early.[/QUOTE]

Very true, but the ads are free and are gonna promote sales anyway.

So whether or not we get the ads early or on time isn't going to affect my decision on whether or not what retailer gets the sale. Best Price/promo wins

[quote name='CheapyD']Recently, some CAGs have been posting early impressions of games which were obtained via piracy.
[/quote]

[quote name='darthbudge']
Also, I believe the terms used in the original post are misleading, that would be stating that ALL people who got the game early pirated it. That is simply not true.[/quote]

[quote name='CheapyD']:whistle2:s[/quote]

How would you know definitively who would be considered a pirate?

Or would you be using inference in the place of proof?

[quote name='manthing']How would you know definitively who would be considered a pirate?

Or would you be using inference in the place of proof?[/QUOTE]

You look for the eyepatch, peg leg, hook, and parrot.

[quote name='manthing']How would you know definitively who would be considered a pirate?

Or would you be using inference in the place of proof?[/QUOTE]

Easy. The people who have their gamertag privacy settings on :cool:

[quote name='darthbudge']SOME CAGs, yes. However, it leads people into believing that the only way said CAGs could get games early is through illegal means. I see my local Walmart break street date fairly regularly.[/quote]

Or would you be using inference in the place of proof?[/quote]
If you are worried about being wrongly labeled a pirate, it would certainly be easy enough to post the name and location of the store that broke the street date. Providing a photo of the box and/or receipt would be even better. This isn't exactly rocket science here...

[/quote]

If they look like this:
pirate-9.jpg
then definately a pirate. ;)

EDIT: Robosheep beat me to it!

[quote name='NegativeZero']Very true, but the ads are free and are gonna promote sales anyway.

So whether or not we get the ads early or on time isn't going to affect my decision on whether or not what retailer gets the sale. Best Price/promo wins[/quote]

But what you don't get is that early reviews might encourage people to buy the game.

For example, Mirror's Edge is coming out later this year. That preorder bonus at GS looks pretty awesome, however I am still on the fence about paying $60 for the game. If 2 weeks before it came out, several people on here got it early and said how awesome it was. I might very well be persuaded to go preorder it at GS and buy it on day 1, instead of waiting for a used copy or for it to go down in price.

No. I'm not sure supporting the advocacy of information attained through piracy is a road we want to travel down. I thought that we as a community held ourselves to a higher standard than that. I was under the impression that our main purpose here was to promote the purchase of gaming products at less than retail. If our goal was to provide early reviews and information on new releases a la IGN, I could see how we could justify reporting such information. However, I feel that anything associated with piracy is something we should stay away from. Just remember what Speedy had to go through with all the info that he provided (and continues to do so:applause:). I shudder to think what could happen if we somehow got associated with piracy.

Edit: Just how others mentioned Speedy when I was busy typing my mountain. Glad that people still remember.

I will adapt US senators style (Senators do not support HIGH gas price, but they are NOT doing a single thing about it either. They did take tax payers' money and go on vacations.)
I do not support piracy, but I am not going to prohibit people from posting early review since I can't tell if the person bootleg the game/software or the person has inside source of getting an early copy. Unless the person admin it as bootleg copy then no.

[quote name='darthbudge']But what you don't get is that early reviews might encourage people to buy the game.

[/QUOTE]

Rent it? Gamefly it? Wait for a demo of it? Wait for reviews of it? Play it over a friends house?

The only reason this is an issue this gen and not last gen is because of gamercards and the portrayal of who has what game and when. Now everyone can see what everybody is playing where as before people could say they had a game early and nobody would care cause it wouldn't show up on a friends list or whatever. If there weren't any gamercards the pirates could just say they played the game early at some convention or whatever.
If this gets voted no (and I'd bet my car on that it will) then how would this be enforced? With the different array of people out here, some reviewers, some gamers, some developers, is each person going to have to just keep their mouth shut if they have gotten early gameplay time? Is posting videos of people playing early on youtube considered the same? Some clear guidance would have to be made.

Nothing wrong with early impressions. Pirated copy or not, you'll still read a post in said game's thread that says ''Can't wait to hear some more CAGs reviews before biting'' and if a person has the game early, why not allow them to spill their insight on how the game is? *shrugs*

[quote name='CheapyD']If you are worried about being wrongly labeled a pirate, it would certainly be easy enough to post the name and location of the store that broke the street date. Providing a photo of the box and/or receipt would be even better. This isn't exactly rocket science here...[/quote]

:roll:

Chris%20Weston%20Big%20Brother%20Hey%20Oscar.jpg

What about Moderators who post impressions/have pre-released games in their Gamer Cards?

:whistle2:k

[quote name='lilboo']Rent it? Gamefly it? Wait for a demo of it? Wait for reviews of it? Play it over a friends house?[/QUOTE]
But then you don't get the preorder loot.

Some people need to get off there high horse, This is a gaming site not the National Committee for Gamers against Pirates. Whats next? Checking peoples locations and denying them the ability to post about games that didn't come out in there region. I for one downloaded Space Invaders Extreme for the DS about a week early....and you know what....I BOUGHT IT WHEN IT CAME OUT! So shame on me right?

[quote name='CheapyD']If you are worried about being wrongly labeled a pirate, it would certainly be easy enough to post the name and location of the store that broke the street date. Providing a photo of the box and/or receipt would be even better. This isn't exactly rocket science here...[/quote]

Apply that to speedy. Give us the address of where he gets his ads early and take a photo of it as well.

Does this mean that your guests that call in to the CAGcast to provide early impressions of games(See:Halo 3, GTA4) will have to provide receipts too?

[quote name='tiredfornow']Nothing wrong with early impressions. Pirated copy or not, you'll still read a post in said game's thread that says ''Can't wait to hear some more CAGs reviews before biting'' and if a person has the game early, why not allow them to spill their insight on how the game is? *shrugs*[/QUOTE]

We're only talking about game piracy here?
What about all the people I've seen talking about music before it's released?
TFN is right. Early impressions are early impressions. Doesn't matter if you played the game cause your friend is a developer and brought an early copy over for you to try with him/her or if you downloaded the game early. You played it early and are being helpful to the community by letting them know if the game is worth your hard earned $$ before it comes out.

[quote name='CheapyD']If you are worried about being wrongly labeled a pirate, it would certainly be easy enough to post the name and location of the store that broke the street date. Providing a photo of the box and/or receipt would be even better. This isn't exactly rocket science here...[/quote]A store breaking street date should be posted on CAG anyway, as there's plenty of people that want games in advance through legal means, and they'd be happy to get it early.

Plus, we've had street date breaks posted here before, I can't see why the practice would suddenly stop.

Also, there's enough sites on the Internet that it'll be posted somewhere about it. I'd like to hope we're one of the first ones, to keep us in the front of the news about game releases.

[quote name='crystalklear64']But then you don't get the preorder loot.[/QUOTE]

If there's a game you absolutely know you want, you are going to pre-order it--especially when it's a good pre-order bonus.

But games you just kinda want? Well, I think it's kinda silly to want a game for the pre-order bonus (Rocko & Stylii not included of course :cool:

If this just becomes an issue of the pirates failing to support the game financially then wouldn't the big gaming sites and print mags be in the same situation. They often get review builds that aren't "paid" for. Let's throw reviewing a used game in there as well. Let's just be completely ridiculous. But seriously this is a slippery slope. Are we going to have to justify our sources of income for the games we did purchase? Reviewer 'X' bought game 'Y' with his/her salary from an oil/tobacco company is the review valid? It matters if we know for a fact that someone pirated the game, if we don't know(99% of the time) who cares.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back