The Official PSP 'UMD' Movie Discussion Thread

GizmoGC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
84 (98%)
I WILL BE UPDATING THIS LIST EVENTUALLY. PLEASE CONTINUE TO DISCUSS THE UMD MOVIE FORMAT IN THIS THREAD

With the increase of UMD's being released, I have decided to make a thread detailing everything that has to do with the PSP movie format . This thread will help YOU know when a UMD movie is coming out and how much it will retail for. Not only that, this is YOUR source on CAG for finding out anything pertaining to the UMD movie format. As soon as I hear news on a new UMD Movie, I will update the thread.

If you have found news of new UMD's announced, please reply with a link (or PM me), and I will add the approptiate titles. If there is currently a sale running out a store, please reply as well and I will update this thread to let others know where to get the best values.

All priced below are the set to the MSRP standard. I understand that certain titles can be purchased cheaper from most stores, but this is what the MSRP is for titles. If you have found a lower price, or a sale, please reply and let everyone know.

If you wish to discuss UMD's in a friendly manner, please do, but if you are just going to post 'umd's are a ripoff' your opinions are not welcome in this thread.

If you have any suggestions for this thread, please let me know! I want to make this very clear and easy to read.

And now, a moment with CheapyD....
*** CheapyD - I think so far Amazon has the best prices and selection. They now have 50 movies listed, with $13.97 being the lowest price (free shipping on $25+ orders).
Amazon.com
Buy.com
DeepDiscountDVD.com

Released This Week...
July 26th : Assault on Precint 13 - $29.99, Chronicles of Riddick, The - $19.99, Cowboy Be-bop - The Movie $19.99, Dawn of the Dead - $19.99, Dark Crystal - $19.99, Fast and the Furious, The - $19.99, Final Fantasy - The Spirits Within - $19.99, Labyrinth - $19.99, Monty Python and the Holy Grail - $19.99, Not Another Teen Movie (Uncensored Version) - $19.99, Rundown, The - $19.99, Steamboy DC - $26.99, Van Helsing - $19.99, XXX State of the Union

-------------------------------------------------
Available Now:
Air Force One - $19.99
Anacondas - The Hunt for the Blood Orchid - $19.99
Armageddon - $29.99
Appleseed - $19.99
Are We There Yet? -$29.99
Backyard, The- $19.99
Bad Boys - $19.99
BEEF - $24.99
Black Hawk Down - $19.99
Bobbito's Basics to Boogie -$24.99
Boogeyman - $29.99
Charlies Angels - $19.99
Croching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - $19.99
Cursed - $29.99
Daddy Daycare - $19.99
Dodgeball: A Trye Underdog Story - $29.99
Endless Summer - $24.99
Freshest Kids- A History of the B-boy - $24.99
From Dusk Till Dawn - $29.99
Godsmack : LIVE - $24.99
Gone in 60 Seconds - $19.99
Grudge, The - $19.99
Hellboy (Directors Cut) - $19.99
Hero - $29.99
Hitch - $29.99
Hollow Man - $19.99
Hostage - $29.99
House of Flying Daggers, The - $29.99
Hillz, The - $24.99
I, Robot - $29.99
Jaimie Foxx - I Might Need Security - $19.99
Kill Bill Volume. 1 - $29.99
Kill Bill Volume. 2 - $29.99
King Aurthur - $29.99
Magic of Flight - IMAX - $24.99
Man of the House - $29.99
MC - Why We Do It - $24.99
Napoleon Dynamite - $29.99
Natinal Lampoons - Van Wilder - $19.99
National Treasure - $29.99
Once Upon A Time In Mexico - $19.99
Open Watcher - $19.99
One Love: The Game. The Life- $24.99
Predator - $29.99
Pirates of the Carribean - $29.99
The Punisher - $19.99
Reign of Fire - $29.99
Resident Evil - $19.99
Resident Evil Apocalypse - $19.99
Samurai Champloo Episodes 1/2 - $14.99
Saw - $19.99
Short Circuit - $19.99
Sisterhood - $24.99
Spider-Man - The New Animated Series (MTV) - $19.99
Spider-Man 2 -$19.99
Starship Troopers - $19.99
Super Troopers - $29.99
Terminator 2 - $19.99
Thumbwars/Thumbtanic- $24.99
Tron - $29.99
Tupac Shukar - Thug Angel - $24.99
You Got Served - $19.99
XXX - $19.99

-------------------------------------------------
Coming Soon:

August 2nd : Big Daddy - $19.99, Ghost Busters - $19.99, Guess Who - $29.99, S.W.A.T. - $19.99

August 9th : Coach Carter $29.99, Kung Fu Hustle - $29.99, Replacement Killers, The - $19.99, Team America $29.99, Without a Paddle $19.99

August 16th : Big Hit, The - $29.99, Coyote Ugly - $29.99, Dave Chappele - For What its Worth - $19.99, Gungrave - Episode 1/2 $14.99, Hellsing (Anime) V.1 $14.99, Rock, The - $29.99, Shaolin Soccer - $29.99, Sin City - $29.99

August 23rd : Blood of the Last Vampire - $19.99,Cabin Fever $19.99, Evil Dead - $19.99, Ghost in the Shell - $19.99, Halloween - $19.99, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe - The 5 Best of Season 1 - $19.99, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe - The Best 5 of Season 2 - $19.99, House of 1000 Corpses - $19.99, House of the Dead - $19.99 Layer Cake - $29.99, Ninja Scroll - $19.99, Snatch $19.99, Time Bandits - $19.99, Total Recall - $19.99, Young Guns - $19.99

August 30th : American Pie (Unrated) - $19.99, Bourne Identity, The - $19.99, Friday Night Lights - $19.99, Italian Job, The - $19.99, Sahara - $29.99, Viva La Bam - $26.99

September 7th : Nothing yet

September 13th : Stargate Atlantis - Rising (Pilot Episode) $29.99, 13 Going on 30, Akira, Beauty Shop, Be Cool, Bulletproof Monk

September 20th : The Longest Yard, American Pie 2 Unrated, Mr Deeds, Pitch Black Unrated

September 27th : Family Guy - Stewie Griffn The Untold Story $29.99, Family Guy - Friggin Sweet Collection $??.??, Aliens VS. Predators $??.??, Alien $??.??, Speed $??.??, The Transporter $??.??, League of Extrordinary Gentlemen $??.??, Elektra $??.??, Robots

October 4th : Tomb Raider, Tomb Raider Cradle of Life, Star Trek Nemesis, Warriors Directors Cut, Elf, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003), The Butterfly Effect, Freddy vs. Jason, Blade and Secondhand Lions.

October 11th : Unleashed, American Wedding

CheapyD gave me the official word to create this thread, which will be stickied in a few hours. Since I will be the threads first poster, I will be able to update it daily/weekly. This thread in a nutshell will combine his thread (UMD Pricewatch) with mine (as I am more able to update it more then he is).

Alright, as of now, everything should be complete. If you find I have skipped some titles, please either reply, or PM me so I can add them.

Prices are MSRP, not what they are for on sale at Bestbuy/Target. This is not to confused folks trying to buy UMDs at places like EBGames (which are retail, I just went in and priced every one of them today), which ONLY sells them for retail. If you have found UMD's for a lower price, feel free to post where and for how much right here in the thread.

EDIT - Updated the top post to relect more of what MSRP means.

[quote name='gizmogc']Anyone confirm seeing it IN STORES? I went to EB, Best Buy, Game Crazy, and Best Buy today and did not see this retail version of Spider-Man 2 for sale (Not even a fake coverbox). Also, Amazon.com does not list it. If anyone can confirm...[/QUOTE]

Game Express is selling it. They have it in-store (along with Bad Boys & Spider-Man Animated). Did you even click on the photos? It's the real items with the security stickers on the top of the case.

[quote name='gizmogc']Yeah, the photo's look real and everything, but I have yet to see any website listing it coming out Tuesday though.[/QUOTE]

LOL, send me $18.00 and I'll pick you one up tomorrow. Is that proof enough? I already have the free one from the first batch of PSP's.

[quote name='Haggar']LOL, send me $18.00 and I'll pick you one up tomorrow. Is that proof enough? I already have the free one from the first batch of PSP's.[/QUOTE]

Like I said, I am simply confirming its existence. Quite a few websites do not list it at all; Bestbuy.com is the only other site that I looked at that showed it coming out Tuesday. All I need is two confirmations for something to be added to the list. :cold:

This is now the official UMD movie thread. It has been sanctioned by CheapyD. Let's keep the flames non-existant. Feel free to post if you have something constructive to add.

-Phatz

[quote name='daphatty']This is now the official UMD movie thread. It has been sanctioned by CheapyD. Let's keep the flames non-existant. Feel free to post if you have something constructive to add.

-Phatz[/QUOTE]

Thanks! And yes, please only post if you have something to add, nothing to the extent of 'UMD suck'.

hemanbestofumd1jy.jpg

Now BCI has jumped ahead of the pack and begun soliciting UMD releases of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe - The Best Top 5 Episodes: Season 1 and He-Man and the Masters of the Universe - The Best Top 5 Episodes: Season 2. Each one is due on August 23rd, and lists for $19.98 (Amazon's pre-order prices are $13.99 for each one)

Credit : TvShowsOnDVD

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']there are rumored to be PSPs that are like Apple Ipods that Sony is releasing with 20 to 40 gigs of built in memory that come out later this year[/QUOTE]
...Ok....But what does that have to do with UMDs?

Fry's has a lot of these titles for $14.99 , for example I just bought terminator 2 for this price. I told myself I wouldnt buy a UMD until they dropped to $9.99 but I love T2 !

great thread by the way

Updated and added Halloween, Evil Dead, Time Bandits, Blood the Last Vampire, Ghost in the Shell, and Ninja Scroll are all scheduled for release on August 23 with a suggested retail price of $19.98.

Need some help everyone...Does everyone like the current format for Coming Soon, or would it be better to list by dates?

Example

6/28 - Halloween, Evil Dead, Pokemon, Napoleon Dynamite, South Park

Or the current way?

My local Walmart always seems to be 1-2 weeks ahead of the release schedule. I guess they don't care about street dates.

The only thing I wanted for the next two weeks was Resident Evil, but they had everything out for sale already.

I noticed that DeepDiscountDVD.com has all IN-stock UMD 20% with their sale right now. They also have the upcoming Anchor Bay UMD's for $11.99 (Evil Dead / Halloween). Not a bad deal, but I still cannot buy one.....no reason yet

[quote name='doubledown']I noticed that DeepDiscountDVD.com has all IN-stock UMD 20% with their sale right now. They also have the upcoming Anchor Bay UMD's for $11.99 (Evil Dead / Halloween). Not a bad deal, but I still cannot buy one.....no reason yet[/QUOTE]
Evil Dead? Wow, I think I may have finally found a UMD movie that I would actually want to purchase.

I can only hope that ED2 and maybe Army or Darkness come out sometime in the future as well.

Did Target drop UMDs from the B&M stores??? I was just in there and they were not behind the glass case any more with the other PSP/PS2 games. I checked the DVD section and they were not there, either. My store has been in the middle of a "Super Target-esque" redesign in electronics, so they may just not be out waiting to be in a new place. ???

[quote name='jlkeeton']Did Target drop UMDs from the B&M stores??? I was just in there and they were not behind the glass case any more with the other PSP/PS2 games. I checked the DVD section and they were not there, either. My store has been in the middle of a "Super Target-esque" redesign in electronics, so they may just not be out waiting to be in a new place. ???[/QUOTE]

My local Target moved them from behind the locked game cases to the normal DVD wall, which makes sense since they retail for $15-ish and don't need to be locked. Maybe yours is in the process of moving them to the DVD wall (they have a seperate UMD section on the DVD wall).

Sweet, it looks like the Cowboy Bebop movie is somming out on UMD July 26!

And it is only $15 MSRP!

And deepdiscoutdvd.com is the WORST design I have ever seen. Can somebody tell me how to find the UMD movies on that site?

[quote name='Quackzilla']And deepdiscoutdvd.com is the WORST design I have ever seen. Can somebody tell me how to find the UMD movies on that site?[/QUOTE]

Type "UMD" in the search bar.

It's cool that Ghostbusters is coming out on UMD. If I had a PSP I would get that the day it comes out.
[quote name='RiCeBo1']Why the fuck are they so expensive? It's like you might as well buy the DVD version! I don't get it![/QUOTE]
Good question.

Just Picked up dodgeball today at my gamecrazy for 19.99

The "Cowboy Bebop" movie, releasing on July 26th, is the only UMD I am really interested in.

But I can't find it on any retail sites! Will EB Games or Best Buy be carrying it?

Well, looks like Wal-Mart didn't stock Napoleon today...grrr. I figured they would have it for $20 or so. Target wanted $30 for it.

I saw Appleseed today at Wal-Mart, outside the protevtive glass, so I assume its less then $15

Re-did the Coming soon list. I added a handful of new titles coming soon...Anyone have any idea how to list the Available movies any better?

Forgive my ignorance on the subject of UMDs, but I have a few questions...

Is the PSP the only device that will play UMD movies? Does Sony have any plans to market a cheap home player (one that will only play the movies, not games), or any other device that will use them?

Does Sony plan to push the format by releasing any titles on UMD prior to their DVD release?

Is the PSP the only device that will play UMD movies?

Yes, the one and only

Does Sony have any plans to market a cheap home player (one that will only play the movies, not games), or any other device that will use them?

I have heard rumors they may infact release a DVD-like player, but the picture quality would be crap on a TV. I don't remember if it was here or on another forum, but the member explained that the UMDs look great on the PSP due to the small size, on a larger screen (13 inches) it would look very pixilated.

Does Sony plan to push the format by releasing any titles on UMD prior to their DVD release?

You mean like titles that have never been on DVD? No, doubtful. Most of the stuff released is titles from the past year or two, or movies that luanch with their DVD counterpart.

The next Sony handheld will probably be compatable with UMD games and video, it will probably be the same size and shape but with mini Blue-Ray discs inside instead of mini DVDs.

Of course that's probably obvious because they are pushing backwards compatability a whole lot.

bread's done
Back