PSP "Clicking noise" = RROD?

chrisnsally

CAGiversary!
Feedback
114 (100%)
I've had my Phat PSP for a good year and a half. About a week ago, it started clicking (three or four clicks in a row) while trying to load a game or movie. Then it locks up. If I eject the disk, the unit starts up fine.

I've searched online, and the best I can find is that a screw near the laser needs tightening.

Anybody experience this and have a better (or at least more detailed) fix than that?

Any help would be appreciated!

:rofl: RROD on the PSP?! Oh my GOD I would throw all my games in the trash!

Ive had my phat for about 2 years and I haven't heard anything. Then again, I rarely play it :(
Sorry I couldn't help! But a free bump, eh? \\:D/

I've had the same problem with my slim. Sometimes it won't read the umd, which just keeps spinning and the clicking noise is constant. It happened once with my brand new game hot shots golf 2 and once yesterday with a game I bought used, Metal Gear acid. I am pretty worried because so far sony hardware gets about a 1 star rating from me.

Mine seems to happen after the system has "warmed up" for a bit - usually after 20 minutes of play...but only when I put a new disk in (and it doesn't matter which disk for me).

Sounds like you should start saving for a new one. My phat quit on me about a month ago, but I had no warning signs like the ones you're having.

I heard a lot about this issue

you have to slam it on a flat surface it fixes the problem. Go figure.

give it a few gentle slams and go harder until it works again.

It seems to work okay if I leave a disk in the unit, and let it sit for a few hours. Not sure if it's a heat issue, or a magnet issue (the holder for the disk is magnetized, so maybe the grip is a bit better after the metal portion on the disk is held close).

Haven't heard any other fixes, but if it gets worse, I'll crack 'er open and tighten some screws...

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Casiotech']I heard a lot about this issue

you have to slam it on a flat surface it fixes the problem. Go figure.

give it a few gentle slams and go harder until it works again.[/quote]

Really dude? Did you hear about this in the lunch room?

[quote name='depascal22']Really dude? Did you hear about this in the lunch room?[/quote]

Gamespot forums.
Unlike you, I'm not in the third grade.
:rofl:

let's keep it friendly...but honestly, "If the thing doesn't work, what have you got to lose?" isn't the best reason to slam something on a hard surface now, is it?

And it does (occasionally) play games. Besides, I'd rather take the thing apart and have a 0.1% chance of fixing it than the 95% chance that punching it will likely break it more.

Any other suggestions are welcome!

[quote name='chrisnsally']let's keep it friendly...but honestly, "If the thing doesn't work, what have you got to lose?" isn't the best reason to slam something on a hard surface now, is it?

And it does (occasionally) play games. Besides, I'd rather take the thing apart and have a 0.1% chance of fixing it than the 95% chance that punching it will likely break it more.

Any other suggestions are welcome![/quote]

okay, enjoy your psp which works occasionally. I hear it's great for internet browsing and playing mp3s.

now I have to get back to the force unleashed. :drool:

yeah me too, so i can stop clicking on these pointless threads where cheapskates complain about their consoles being broken but don't want to pay to fix them and are looking for a miracle cure which doesn't exist.

if you browse ebay most broken psps are because the UMD doesn't read discs, could be NUMEROUS issues including a faulty or weak laser (which tightening incorrectly will destroy your games) or shaft mechanism and there are people who buy these faulty UMD psps, slam them like I previously stated and then resell them for 3x.

since you value your broken psp too much and don't want to try that, either pay someone to fix it or buy a new one, it's really simple!

dude, are you trying to be ignorant? How long do you think a $199 piece of electronics should last.

Now GO TO BED! YOU'VE WATCHED ENOUGH DORA THE EXPLORER AND BACKYARDIGANS FOR ONE NIGHT!!!

Piece of advice Noob. Show some GD respect.

dora? noob? yeah that's real classy

$199 electronic should only last 1 year, as stated on the warranty card.

should have bought insurance.

[quote name='Casiotech']yeah because a 1.5 year old, worn out psp1000 is defective...:roll:[/quote]

So people who got RROD, DRE, should have payed to get it fixed? If the guy took care of it and didn't drop it in water or on the floor, it's not his fault the thing is crapping out.

Okay - trolls aside, thanks Blackout for the backup.

If anybody else has any USEFUL, MATURE, SEMI-INTELLIGENT advice, it'd be appreciated.

Casio...please go find someone else to annoy. You're not making any friends here.

I'm not looking to make friends with guys like you. Only help people out, which I have.

comparing the UMD error to a RROD is plain stupid. One happens to 90% of users, the other craps out on less than .1% if that. And it's usually because they logged in 1000's of hours of gametime or because they abused/damaged it in some way which you probably did but aren't copping to.

Well I don't think the guy is telling a lie. What would have to gain by doing that on an internet message board?

Comparing it to the RROD isn't stupid. Something is clearly wrong with his PSP, that is most likely not of his doing. With your logic, RROD was caused by people "putting thousands of hours into games" or because "they abused it and won't fess up to it." I've had DRE happen to me and I was anal about taking care of my system.

I've had that clicking happen to me while playing a severely scratched up copy of Wipeout that I bought at Gamestop, but I never have freezing or lock up problems.

so by your logic, someone who plays a system for 1000s of hours in a year and someone who plays it once a day for an hour, should both get the same treatment in terms or warranty? what about car tires or brakes? Maybe they should replace those too???

Not happening, it's called wear and tear and a 1 year warranty is sufficient. If you don't like the terms of the warranty, don't buy the product and especially don't buy it thinking it will last 5 years if you only get 90 days parts and 1 yr labor for the product.

and the guy has many reasons not to tell the truth on message boards. If he said he dropped it, people would call him names and tell him to buy a new one and not be an idiot next time. If it conveniently stopped working, people like you will feel sympathetic.

and again, RROD = worldwide phenomenon. UMD drive dying is almost non existent.

In this case, when a UMD drive craps out, the system is dead. Selling it for parts on ebay is the best solution.

if you do want to take a fix it your self approach try these guides both are from llamma.com and are very detailed maybe your just have something blocking your gears or so.

http://www.llamma.com/PSP/repair/PSP_UMD_Not_Reading_Discs.htm
http://www.llamma.com/PSP/repair/complete_psp_disassembly.htm

i have a PSP launch system no problems with it ever but i also took mine apart when i first got it to see what made it tick. I have never heard of the clicking sound from a PSP but a gear or even the screw motor that move the laser may have to be adjusted, There a little metal or plastic tab that the laser screw guides the laser on and can sometimes lift up sometimes and create strange sounds

And if a UMD drive only craps out .1% of the time why is it many console repair site sel them like hotcakes along with trigger,buttons and everything else PSP wise. Yes the UMD failing is not the same as a RROD but for some folks its just as bad. Sure wear and tear can effect it but maybe the guy is telling the truth who gives rats ass if he dropped it i'd like to meet one person who has never ever dropped a handheld item i know i have and will openly admit to it.

I never dropped any handheld.

there are 44 million PSPs sold of course they'll have problems and spare parts will be sold.

.1% of 44 million = 44,000,000 is still 44,000. I sounds pretty accurate if you ask me.

the guy doesn't even try to do his own research. I googled fix umd and found dozens of youtube vids and spare UMD drives for $25.

[quote name='Casiotech']I never dropped any handheld.

there are 44 million PSPs sold of course they'll have problems and spare parts will be sold.

.1% of 44 million = 44,000,000 is still 44,000. I sounds pretty accurate if you ask me.[/quote]
never even a cell phone? or i pod for that mater nothing hand held ever at all for even a second slipped out of you hand OK i believe you or maybe your just lying to get around how you abuse your systems and don't want to admit to for fear of being called names, and your numbers have no point to what i said. i didn't comment on how many sold but rather on the internet based console repair parts that are sold for the system , but please keep telling people to slam it on tables and sell them on ebay that way i can spend $50 on a broke PSP put about another $25 into it and turn around and sell it for a small but nice profit.

If you listen to Gamespot as your source for technical repair then remind me to find out were you live and stay the hell away from there. If you want to know the real way to fix a item i wouldn't start at Gamespot but rather one of the many websites out there that deal in tears downs and system repairs. Cause you know slamming a LCD screen on a table just sounds so much of a better way to break your LCD rather then help a system out.

I would rather not tell you where I live!

yeah the guys on gamespot aren't very bright, but they're still a cut above guys like you.

again, what's your point if sites sell spare parts. There are spare parts being sold for everything.. and even if they sell some parts, I can assure you it's not even .1% of the psps being sold which is where I cited my numbers.

anyway, someone keeps deleting my posts so now i'll delete the vids because I'm not interested in helping this guy out anymore.

oh btw, if you think buying a broken psp for $50 and fixing it for another $30 is worth $10-20 you will profit after fees, etc, you need to find a better job. Not to mention the new 3000 will drive the used prices on a 1000/2000 down.

[quote name='Casiotech']I would rather not tell you where I live!

yeah the guys on gamespot aren't very bright, but they're still a cut above guys like you.

again, what's your point if sites sell spare parts. There are spare parts being sold for everything.. and even if they sell some parts, I can assure you it's not even .1% of the psps being sold which is where I cited my numbers.

anyway, someone keeps deleting my posts so now i'll delete the vids because I'm not interested in helping this guy out anymore.

oh btw, if you think buying a broken psp for $50 and fixing it for another $30 is worth $10-20 you will profit after fees, etc, you need to find a better job. Not to mention the new 3000 will drive the used prices on a 1000/2000 down.[/quote]

no actually it will drive the price up cause most PSP's found on ebay have custom firmware or advertise as having 1.50 firmware which is hackable. With the 3000 coming out hardware modifications from a hacked stand point will be blocked once more. So by selling a older hackable system it will increase the price not drop it because it becomes a item you can;t get from most stores.

guys like me? you don't know me what i do or anything about me as person so i far as i care piss off.

It's one thing to try to help and offer advise on a solution to a problem it's another to insult people like you have been doing.

since i have already accepted my ban as i know it coming from what i am about to post.

another thing i have to say about the whole guys like me comment read up then get back to me start Googleing real game system repiar sites and i am not talking about the crap with the towel for the xbox rrod, and hacks not just what the piracy end of things but all aspects of hardware.

Sure I'll give you credit on your numbers but telling someone to slam there system on a table is just stupid when %95 of gamestop or other gamestore questons about a PSP repair are related to the LCD screen

Great references - thanks Boba!

[quote name='bubbafett4hire']if you do want to take a fix it your self approach try these guides both are from llamma.com and are very detailed maybe your just have something blocking your gears or so.

http://www.llamma.com/PSP/repair/PSP_UMD_Not_Reading_Discs.htm
http://www.llamma.com/PSP/repair/complete_psp_disassembly.htm

i have a PSP launch system no problems with it ever but i also took mine apart when i first got it to see what made it tick. I have never heard of the clicking sound from a PSP but a gear or even the screw motor that move the laser may have to be adjusted, There a little metal or plastic tab that the laser screw guides the laser on and can sometimes lift up sometimes and create strange sounds

And if a UMD drive only craps out .1% of the time why is it many console repair site sel them like hotcakes along with trigger,buttons and everything else PSP wise. Yes the UMD failing is not the same as a RROD but for some folks its just as bad. Sure wear and tear can effect it but maybe the guy is telling the truth who gives rats ass if he dropped it i'd like to meet one person who has never ever dropped a handheld item i know i have and will openly admit to it.[/quote]

I actually bought a used psp with non working UMD drive. $25 drive later and 15 minutes, I have a $57 mint condition Darth Vadar PSP.

I dunno, but when I saw the auction for the non working UMD PSP and remembered this thread, I had to give it a shot.

it's really a piece of cake.

bread's done
Back