The Rock Band Thread - 10/26: Rock Band 3 Out Now With Free The Doors Pack In-Game!

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
This is the thread for all things Rock Band.

New Features and Improvements
modal_game_battle.jpg

Extra Feature Details
Developed by Harmonix, the world’s premier music videogame company, and published by MTV Games, Rock Band™ 2 is the next evolution of the groundbreaking music platform that forever changed the face of music videogames. Rock Band 2 builds upon the original, challenging players to put together a band and tour for fame and fortune while learning to master lead/bass guitar, drums and vocals, and raises the bar to include an entirely new level of depth, connectivity, authenticity and exhilarating features.
Rock Band 2 will feature more than 80 tracks on disc – but it doesn’t stop there. Players will have access to all DLC tracks, packs and albums released to date as well as future DLC releases; that’s more than 200 song choices and counting. The music inRock Band 2 features all master recordings and spans all genres of rock from punk, metal and alternative to classic and southern rock.
Rock Band 2 will be released on Xbox 360™ videogame and entertainment system from Microsoft this September and will have an exclusive launch window in North America. Rock Band 2 will be available for the PLAYSTATION® 3 and PlayStation® 2 computer entertainment systems and Nintendo Wii™ system later this year.

Key Features

Rock the World!
Rock Band 2 offers new and dynamic online modes that will connect the entire Rock Band community in more ways than ever before, both locally and globally.

Rock in Style!
Rock Band 2 introduces a new variety of instrument choices all with new and improved drum and guitar peripherals, enhanced functionality and innovative new designs. All Rock Band 2 instruments are fully compatible with the original Rock Band. Conversely, all Rock Band peripherals will be fully compatible with Rock Band 2.

Unrivaled Song Library!
Rock Band 2 features the biggest and most diverse soundtrack ever featuring some of rock’s most prolific acts, comprised entirely of master recordings.

Complete the Look!
Rock Band 2 delivers new clothing, accessories, tattoos, hairstyles, instruments and more to keep your unique rock avatar playing the full rock part.

Battle it Out!
Go head to head competing against other bands with Battle of the Bands contests that will be generated by Harmonix on a regular basis.

Stay on Top!
Stay the undisputed leader board champion with real time alerts updating you when another rocker or band has surpassed your score!

Take on Tour Challenges!
Play through mini-campaigns focused on a specific instrument, your favorite artist, your preferred genre, or a particular album.

Customizable Set Lists!
Create your own set lists in Quickplay mode to keep the music rolling and your band rocking!

Rock ‘n’ Roll Never Dies!
Rock Band 2 offers backwards compatibility with Rock Band downloadable content- all previously purchased tracks will immediately load into your Rock Band 2 play list!

Game Modes

Quickplay

Now easier than ever to get in and jam without hassle.
- New prefab characters
- Your customized characters can now play on any instrument
- Make your own set lists
- Organize song lists by a variety of categories (alphabetical, genre, era, etc.)

World Tour

Solo Tour and Band World Tour join forces to create the ultimate band touring experience!
- World Tour is now online
- No more band leaders! If you need to fire your guitarist but keep the band going, fire away!
- Switch up instruments throughout world tour
- All new collection of opportunity gigs, challenges, cities, venues, and hirable staff

Tour Challenges

Take your band on tour in a whole new way with specific music challenges.
- Focused mini-campaigns featuring the best songs by instrument, decade, genre or artist
- Automatically generated DLC challenges
- Album specific challenges

Battle of the Bands

Put your band to the ultimate test by competing against other bands, both on your friends list and around the world!
- Dynamic content with regular new contests designed by Harmonix
- Matches up your score against overall competition and friends’ bands - with REAL TIME feedback
- Get updates on new battles from your Band Profile, as well as notifications when your score has been topped!

Drum Trainer
A true teaching tool that gives players a step-by-step lesson through the basic beat and fill vocabulary any real world drummer would know.

Instrument Improvements

modal_inst_guitar.jpg

modal_inst_drums.jpg

Guitars Compatible With Rock Band 2 (source 1, source 2)

ghwt-axe-175.jpg

Guitar Hero: World Tour

strat-tn-rb2-175.jpg

Rock Band 2

strat-tn-175.jpg

Rock Band

ps3-lespaul-tn-175.jpg

Possibly Guitar Hero III (works with RB, so it may work with RB2, too)

gha-guitar-tn-175.jpg

Possibly Guitar Hero Aerosmith (works with RB, so it may work with RB2, too)

Drums Compatible With Rock Band 2 (source)

ghwt-drums-175.jpg

Guitar Hero: World Tour

rb1-drums-175.jpg

Rock Band

rb2-drums-175.jpg

Rock Band 2

rock-rev-drums-175.jpg

Rock Revolution

Microphones Compatible With Rock Band 2 (source)

-Rock Band and Rock Band 2's microphone
-Guitar Hero IV's microphone
-SingStar microphones

Soundtrack
Artist/Song Title/Decade
1. AC/DC “Let There Be Rock” 1970s
2. AFI “Girl’s Gone Grey” 2000’s
3. Alanis Morissette “You Oughta Know” 1990’s
4. Alice in Chains “Man in the Box” 1990’s
5. Allman Brothers “Ramblin’ Man” 1970’s
6. Avenged Sevenfold “Almost Easy” 2000’s
7. Bad Company “Shooting Star” 1970’s
8. Beastie Boys “So Whatcha Want” 1990’s
9. Beck “E-Pro” 2000’s
10. Bikini Kill “Rebel Girl” 1990’s
11. Billy Idol “White Wedding Pt. I” 1980’s
12. Blondie “One Way or Another” 1970’s
13. Bob Dylan “Tangled Up in Blue” 1970’s
14. Bon Jovi “Livin’ on a Prayer” 1980’s
15. Cheap Trick “Hello There” 1970’s
16. Devo “Uncontrollable Urge” 1980’s
17. Dinosaur Jr. “Feel the Pain” 1990’s
18. Disturbed “Down with the Sickness” 2000’s
19. Dream Theater “Panic Attack” 2000’s
20. Duran Duran “Hungry Like the Wolf” 1980’s
21. Elvis Costello “Pump It Up” 1970’s
22. Fleetwood Mac “Go Your Own Way” 1970’s
23. Foo Fighters “Everlong” 1990’s
24. Guns N’ Roses “Shackler’s Revenge” 2000’s
25. Interpol “PDA” 2000’s
26. Jane’s Addiction “Mountain Song” 1980’s
27. Jethro Tull “Aqualung” 1970’s
28. Jimmy Eat World “The Middle” 2000’s
29. Joan Jett “Bad Reputation” 1980’s
30. Journey “Anyway You Want It” 1970’s
31. Judas Priest “Painkiller” 1990’s
32. Kansas “Carry On Wayward Son” 1970’s
33. L7 “Pretend We’re Dead” 1990’s
34. Lacuna Coil “Our Truth” 2000’s
35. Linkin Park “One Step Closer” 2000’s
36. Lit “My Own Worst Enemy” 1990’s
37. Lush “De-Luxe” 1990’s
38. Mastodon “Colony of Birchmen” 2000’s
39. Megadeth “Peace Sells” 1980’s
40. Metallica “Battery” 1980’s
41. Mighty Mighty Bosstones “Where’d You Go” 1990’s
42. Modest Mouse “Float On” 2000’s
43. Motorhead “Ace of Spades” 1980’s
44. Nirvana “Drain You” 1990’s
45. Norman Greenbaum “Spirit in the Sky” 1960’s
46. Panic at the Disco “Nine in the Afternoon” 2000’s
47. Paramore “That’s What You Get” 2000’s
48. Pearl Jam “Alive” 1990’s
49. Presidents of the USA “Lump” 1990’s
50. Rage Against the Machine “Testify” 1990’s
51. Ratt “Round & Round” 1980’s
52. Red Hot Chili Peppers “Give it Away” 1990’s
53. Rise Against “Give it All” 2000’s
54. Rush “The Trees” 1970’s
55. Silversun Pickups “Lazy Eye” 2000’s
56. Smashing Pumpkins “Today” 1990’s
57. Social Distortion “I Was Wrong” 1990’s
58. Sonic Youth “Teenage Riot” 1980’s
59. Soundgarden “Spoonman” 1990’s
60. Squeeze “Cool for Cats” 1970’s
61. Steely Dan “Bodhitsattva” 1970’s
62. Steve Miller Band “Rock’n Me” 1970’s
63. Survivor “Eye of the Tiger” 1980’s
64. System of a Down “Chop Suey” 2000’s
65. Talking Heads “Psycho Killer” 1970’s
66. Tenacious D “Master Exploder” 2000’s
67. Testament “Souls of Black” 1990’s
68. The Donnas “New Kid in School” 2000’s
69. The Go-Go’s “We Got the Beat” 1980’s
70. The Grateful Dead “Alabama Getaway” 1980’s
71. The Guess Who “American Woman” 1970’s
72. The Muffs “Kids in America” 1990’s
73. The Offspring “Come Out & Play (Keep ‘em Separated)” 1990’s
74. The Replacements “Alex Chilton” 1980’s
75. The Who “Pinball Wizard” 1960’s

Bonus Artist/Bonus Song Title/Decade
76. Abnormality “Visions” 2000’s
77. Anarchy Club “Get Clean” 2000’s
78. Bang Camaro “Night Lies” 2000’s
79. Breaking Wheel “Shoulder to the Plow” 2000’s
80. The Libyans “Neighborhood” 2000’s
81. The Main Drag “A Jagged Gorgeous Winter” 2000’s
82. Speck “Conventional Lover” 2000’s
83. The Sterns “Supreme Girl” 2000’s
84. That Handsome Devil “Rob the Prez-O-Dent” 2000’s
The Ordered/Tiered By Difficulty Soundtrack From Within The Game

irock-band-2is-track-list-ranked-20080820080152340-000.jpg

Announced Album DLC Planned for Around and After Rock Band 2's Release

Rather than parsing the info out in tantalizing nuggets, Harmonix/MTV has just given us an expansive look at the future of Rock Band, courtesy of Entertainment Weekly. The magazine revealed six of the full albums headed to Rock Band 2, which we'll now happily pass along to you:

• Foo Fighters -- "The Colour and the Shape"
  • Red Hot Chili Peppers -- "Blood Sugar Sex Magik"
  • Jane's Addiction -- "Nothing's Shocking"
  • Megadeth -- "Peace Sells... But Who's Buying"
  • Stevie Ray Vaughn -- "Texas Flood"
The last album is a best-of No Doubt compilation made specifically for the game. Rather than try to impose our own musical tastes on you, we'll just pass the mic your way and ask which of those records has your head banging in anticipation.
Concerning the Free 20 Bonus DLC Songs

Click to embiggen

When the official announcement finally came last week that Rock Band 2 would release today on Xbox 360, one little bullet point on the press release about an additional 20 free DLC songs nagged us. Looking at the back of the Rock Band 2 manual now, we still have no idea what the DLC is, but we do know how we're going to get it. Going to the site listed in the image above currently gives this message: "Please check back in a few days for the opportunity to enter your Registration Code and sign up to receive the Bonus Downloadable Tracks." We've been told by Harmonix the tracks will release later this year.
Info on the Exporting Feature to Make Rock Band Disc Songs Playable in Rock Band 2

Harmonix just officially announced that the update allowing Rock Band songs to be transferred to Rock Band 2 has gone live. Once Rock Band 2 is released, drummers, vocalists, and plastic guitar players will be able to transfer 55 songs from the original game to the sequel for $5 (400 MS points).

55 songs? That sounds like it's missing a few tracks. The press release details -- in tiny print at the bottom -- that the missing songs are: "Enter Sandman" by Metallica, "Paranoid" by Black Sabbath (cover), "Run to the Hills" by Iron Maiden (cover) and "Monsoon" by Tokio Hotel (a DLC song from the European disc, so this is only for Europe).

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I was close to making this thread myself, but I never got around to it. :p

I'm excited for the game myself and will definitely get it. I might even have a CAG RB2 game night thread eventually (I'm working on a plan for good match making, such as what instrument people play, what difficulty, and so on).

I LOVE Rockband!My old drums broke so I can't really play RB right now....:( I like how you can integrate RB 1 songs to RB 2!I also could play with the CAG thing but right now,I have dial up :( Also, RB 2 will have Trophies?

[quote name='snakelda']I LOVE Rockband!My old drums broke so I can't really play RB right now....:( I like how you can integrate RB 1 songs to RB 2!I also could play with the CAG thing but right now,I have dial up :( Also, RB 2 will have Trophies?[/QUOTE]Yes, it will have trophies.

Sucks to hear about being on dial-up right now. :whistle2:( Hope it doesn't last for long.

I can't wait for this game. I already purchased my export code and I am just waiting until next month. Man there are tooo many games to play. :(

Here's a probably dumb question, but...

On PSN the export key says something like, "rock band disk" will be required to play exported songs. It seems as though a lot of people are trading in their RB1 disk after exporting. I read that statement as meaning you will still need that disk. Anyone know - or have experience w/the 360 version?

Keith

:applause: :applause: :applause:

What a way to create a thread! I personally don't think anyone could have done a better job!

[quote name='melokeith']On PSN the export key says something like, "rock band disk" will be required to play exported songs. It seems as though a lot of people are trading in their RB1 disk after exporting. I read that statement as meaning you will still need that disk. Anyone know - or have experience w/the 360 version?[/QUOTE]

I also have this concern. I would definitely like to ease up my wallet after buying this for 60 smackeroos.

bump for my question - in case someone else comes along to this thread!
:D

[quote name='melokeith']Here's a probably dumb question, but...

On PSN the export key says something like, "rock band disk" will be required to play exported songs. It seems as though a lot of people are trading in their RB1 disk after exporting. I read that statement as meaning you will still need that disk. Anyone know - or have experience w/the 360 version?

Keith[/quote]

[quote name='melokeith']bump for my question - in case someone else comes along to this thread!
:D[/quote]You need it to rip the game and then you can get rid of it.

From what I have read the RB1 disc is not required after the transfer. But you must have the RB2 disc in to play them. Also on the 360 thread people have gotten rid of there Discs and been fine.

http://kotaku.com/5056832/rock-bands-acdc-live-track-pack-+-the-details

Looks like the AC/DC rumors were true, though the price is not quite so nice for the $40 price tag. You get 18 songs, which would be $36 at the standard DLC price, if not lower because this would be an album/bundle that would get even more of a discount. You are able to export the songs to your hard drive to play with either RB or RB2 with a special authorization code. Here's the track list for the track pack:

"Thunderstruck"
"Shoot to Thrill"
"Back in Black"
"Hell Ain't a Bad Place to Be"
"Heatseeker"
"Fire Your Guns"
"Jailbreak"
"The Jack"
"Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap"
"Moneytalks"
"Hells Bells"
"High Voltage"
"Whole Lotta Rosie"
"You Shook Me All Night Long"
"T.N.T."
"Let There Be Rock”
"Highway To Hell”
"For Those About to Rock (We Salute You)”

I'd definitely get it if there's a deal or I can make some nice trade-ins at GS to pay for most of it.

Edit: Joystiq is saying that the track pack is exclusive to Walmart and Sam's Club, which is absolute bullshit to me if it's true.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Edit: Joystiq is saying that the track pack is exclusive to Walmart and Sam's Club, which is absolute bullshit to me if it's true.[/quote]

Yeah that's a bit ridiculous. Wouldn't they make more money if they just released it via DLC?

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/16/rock-band-2-gets-official-ps3-release-date-wii-still-vague/

Harmonix has officially announced that Rock Band 2 will be out this Sunday along with the bundles that will be out alongside the standalone game's release:

October 19, 2008
Xbox 360 and PS3 Special Edition Bundle; including game, guitar and drums - $190 (The Xbox 360 bundle was not released with the game and standalone peripherals last month.)
PS3 Standalone Software - $60
PS3 and PS2 Standalone Drums - $90
PS3 and PS2 Standalone Guitar - $70

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/the-411-on-acdcs-rock-band-debut/373/

• Why isn't this a download? In the words of Harmonix community dude John Drake, AC/DC "likes things to be packaged in a very specific way." Since they also don't sell their music on iTunes, I took that to mean "they hate the Internet."
  • What's the on-disc gameplay like? There's a very basic ladder where you play through all 18 tracks of Live at Donnington. No world tour mode, character creation, or anything like that.
  • Is the band in the game? Nope, just the songs. This ain't Guitar Hero: Aerosmith.
  • What's up with importing the tracks? Every copy ships with a single-use code that will let you pull all the songs into your Rock Band 2, at which point they'll function just like any other DLC. So they'll show up in world tour, you can play them online, all that jazz.
  • Achievements? Yep, 12 of them on the 360, amounting to what looks like 200 points. No trophies in the PS3 version, sadly, because AC/DC Live is based on the first Rock Band, not the sequel.
  • Great, but how are the songs, man? You could look up the Donnington album online and listen to some samples if you want to hear for yourself, but the recording was apparently very good at that show, because they practically sounded like studio tracks to me. I played "Back in Black" and the riff sounded 100 percent spot-on. If you've been waiting for AC/DC in your music game, I think you'll be happy.
Giant Bomb has some more info on the AC/DC expansion disc.

Well, the LBP delay means I won't have to divide my time between that and RB2 next week, so I went ahead and ordered the bundle for delivery Tuesday. Wooo! I'll probably rent RB1 sometime this weekend so I can get the songs transferred over and ready to go. And maybe I'll get that Pixies DLC and just stare at it for a few days.

the drums are a bit disappointing. I wish they were more like the guitar hero world tour pads... sigh =(

however buying the game and 1 more guitar is already frickin $130...........
and I got the full set at DDD for $167 or something....... kind of hard to justify just not getting the new drums for $30+ more

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Yes, it's in the OP:[/quote]

How about vice versa? Apparently GH isn't coming out with a stand-alone drum kit. If RB2 drums work with GH:WT then this will be my option.

[quote name='DefinedByClass13']How about vice versa? Apparently GH isn't coming out with a stand-alone drum kit. If RB2 drums work with GH:WT then this will be my option.[/quote]
All music game controllers are cross compatible on the PS3 by Sony mandate. That should answer any future questions you may have on this subject.

How do the Rock Band drums work with Guitar Hero World Tour if GH:WT has 5 pads and a bass pedal and Rock Band only has 4 pads and a bass pedal?

I'm thinking about it. I just need to know which has the best instruments, this or guitar hero.

Got to play with the new instruments for a short time at walmart, and they are 10000x improved. I mainly play Guitar, and I'll say that I think I like the RB2 Guitar better than the GH3 Les Paul, and that's saying something. The drums seemed to have better rebound, were quieter, and the kick pedal seemed better.

they're having midnight launches? where at?

DarthPuma: The GHWT has better drums for sure, but the guitar boils down to personal preference. I prefer the rockband guitars because the buttons are better and they fixed the strum bar a bit.

The new sensor things on the guitars for ghwt don't do much for me and I still don't like the buttons

anyone know if there is a BB coupon laying around for games ;)? that would make it worth picking up at bb

[quote name='Zoglog']they're having midnight launches? where at?

DarthPuma: The GHWT has better drums for sure, but the guitar boils down to personal preference. I prefer the rockband guitars because the buttons are better and they fixed the strum bar a bit.

The new sensor things on the guitars for ghwt don't do much for me and I still don't like the buttons

anyone know if there is a BB coupon laying around for games ;)? that would make it worth picking up at bb[/quote]

Has there been any hands on that says the gh drums are better? RB has those cymbal add ons and you wouldn't have to get used to a new layout.

Yeah, the strum bar is a zillion times better. It's like the les paul but silent. The buttons don't suck either. I had no problems with h/o's and p/o's in the Panic At the Disco song I got stuck playing at walmart.

[quote name='DarthPuma']Has there been any hands on that says the gh drums are better? RB has those cymbal add ons and you wouldn't have to get used to a new layout.

Yeah, the strum bar is a zillion times better. It's like the les paul but silent. The buttons don't suck either. I had no problems with h/o's and p/o's in the Panic At the Disco song I got stuck playing at walmart.[/QUOTE]

yeah, I had a chance to try out the GHWT drums. They're much better. The top of the drumheads are padded w/ thick silicone making them very bouncy and silent. HOWEVER, the cymbals are still sort of hard so they will make similar sounds to the rock band kit.

The layout seemed fine and I had no problem w/ it.
cost wise it just doesn't seem effective for me to get the GHWT drums considering I only need 1 more guitar and I really don't care much for GHWT the game.

Well I put in a pre-order at best buy yesterday as I had about $14 in gift cards and I think they were they only people giving away something with the pre-order (hooray another XL shirt that won't fit me :roll:). Gotta get through as many songs as I can before football starts up tommorow...

On a side note BB had a GH:Aerosmith setup and I played it for a bit. I honestly hate the Les Paul controller. It's smaller and maybe this was just at this BB but the buttons required some finger strength to press down. I play real guitar and feel I have ample finger strength but this thing was on the verge of obnoxious.

I have a weird question when someone has it. Guitar Hero 3 on ps3 wouldn't run in anything besides 720p. I'm sure this actually runs or can run in 1080p right? I thought about getting rock band 2, and getting rock band later on.

Rock Band 1 was at 720p...I'll report back after I snag my copy of 2 in half an hour. You may as well just rent rock band 1 if your planning on getting 2, as for $5 off of the psn you can export the rock band 1 songs onto your hdd.

[quote name='bigl523']Rock Band 1 was at 720p...I'll report back after I snag my copy of 2 in half an hour. You may as well just rent rock band 1 if your planning on getting 2, as for $5 off of the psn you can export the rock band 1 songs onto your hdd.[/quote]

Thats what I was thinking. The only bad part is all the rental stores near me don't have it,but they have the 360 version... lol

[quote name='jman619']Thats what I was thinking. The only bad part is all the rental stores near me don't have it,but they have the 360 version... lol[/QUOTE]RB1 only went up to 720p. However, it doesn't utilize the entire screen (has some black boarders). It definitely looks better than GH3.

I'm still just trying to decide which kit I want to get. The smart thing to do is wait till next week, but I want the game bad!

I don't really care about the World Tour game, but the instruments look nice. This is a tough choice!

bread's done
Back