*RUMOR* Pre-order Beyond Good and Evil (PS2) for $10 @ Gamestop [Rumors Are Not Dels]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecofreak

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
From Destructoid.com

103923-BGE%20Re-Release.jpg

[quote name='Destructoid.com']According to a mysterious GameStop flyer, it appears that Ubisoft may be re-releasing the original Beyond Good & Evil for the very low preorder price of $9.99. While it seems this move would be to promote the upcoming, highly anticipated sequel (OMG BEST SEQUEL EVER!), the timing seems odd. Re-releasing the game this month when the sequel is so far away? It seems strange.

Regardless, if this is true, I beg of you: If you have not played Beyond Good & Evil, please go buy it. I can guarantee you will absolutely adore it. In fact, I will send you a check for ten bucks if you don’t like it. Seriously. I am that confident. And then when the game sells ridiculously well I can take full credit for its success. I AM THE REASON BEYOND GOOD & EVIL PAYS YOUR BILLS! BOW TO ME, UBISOFT!

Wow. Sorry about that.

What do you think? Even though it’s for the aging PlayStation 2, would you be willing to give Beyond Good & Evil a late-to-the-party try? Would you rather see a re-release on a downloadable service like XBLA and PSN? Also, PLEASE PLAY THIS GAME![/quote]

I'll call Gamestop tomorrow and try to confirm this, as I've been wanting to play it but never been able to find a copy.

[quote name='wildnuts02']i think this game has been like $3 used (non GH) for like 3 years[/QUOTE]

According to GS website, it's $6 used for PS2 version, $15 for GC version.

I'd be willing to pay the full $10 if Ubisoft actually gets some money from the purchase.

umm well i never played the game, *Cough cough* i mean i hated that game, i expect a check promptly to uh pay for my inconvenience......

Haha i would pick it up, its a xbox game tho too? where is that?

Re-release? For what? Just check your local FYE, they have a ton of them, both new and used. And yes, it is $10, plus it is the original black label version.

[quote name='ricoraney']Re-release? For what? Just check your local FYE, they have a ton of them, both new and used. And yes, it is $10, plus it is the original black label version.[/QUOTE]

Local FYE shut down :( And Frys had about a million copies of this till I decided I should try it. Sold out.

Beyond Good and Evil was awesome. But I doubt anyone that gives even the slightest damn already owns it. And at less than half that price.

And I for one am not looking forward to BG&E2. The first, FIRST, thing I heard about the game is that UbiSoft is "retooling it to appeal to a wider audience". Which is the exact thing they said when making Prince of Persia Warrior Within, just before butchering everything that made the first game fun. Things like that make me paranoid.

I played for 30 minutes or so. Maybe I didn't give it enough time, but I wasn't enjoying it while I played.

It seems to be the most overrated, "underrated" game of all time.

[quote name='shiftomnimega']I've got it for the cube still, but I'd get it for the PS2 again for some extra goodies. Such as a poster or key chain.[/QUOTE]

Cube = widescreen through Wii. PS2 = fail by nature. Don't think there will be any pre-order bonuses for a $10 GH release lol

Currently this is for Canada
The article shows a cropped version of picture I took. It links to n4g which links to a topic I made. Unconfirmed for USA. I wish they at least read the bottom of the picture which states "www.ebgames.ca"

Edit: Kotaku seems to be reporting it too. At least they have their info right.

Bg&E is an 8 hour game with little to no replay. It's still a good game, but with that amount of play time it's easy to see why it flopped at full price retail.

1) if you trace it back to the source to neogaf fourms, you'll see that its Gamestop Canada where this promotion may be taking place....you can see the .ca URL suffix in the destructoid photo. Now that doesn't mean it can't happen in the US, but likewise, it also doesn't mean its automatically going to happen in the US.

2) that price point seems too low. I doubt that GS/EB has much interest in selling a new game with its wafer thin margins (vs. the fat margins on used games) for only $10....it doesn't seem like it would be worth their time...they much rather have you buy a used game that cost them $2.50 but sells for $10 than sell a new game that probably cost them $6-7 to then sell that for $10.

[quote name='Rig']I played for 30 minutes or so. Maybe I didn't give it enough time, but I wasn't enjoying it while I played.

It seems to be the most overrated, "underrated" game of all time.[/QUOTE]

Played it for a few hours and still came to the same conclusion.

[quote name='ctrek3']one of the most underated games of our time, the other being psychonauts. play them both!!![/quote]

Blah, everyone always names those two. They're *sexy* amongst the gaming crowd now, hardly under appreciated. What about stuff like Phantom Dust and Otogi though...you'll never hear a peep about those great titles.

Anyhow, good price on a great game if anyone still hasn't tried it out. I remember waaaay back when Circuit City had it clearanced for $10 was when I picked it up on PS2...still on the lookout for a minty Xbox/GC version.

Wikipedia says that the PS2 version supports 16:9 display mode and 480p. Can anyone with the game confirm this?

Any reason to favor the 'Cube version over the PS2 or vice versa?

Never understood the draw of this game. A medicore Zelda copy with a strong camera element. Not bad, but not the second-coming some people make it out to be.

[quote name='daroga']Never understood the draw of this game. A medicore Zelda copy with a strong camera element. Not bad, but not the second-coming some people make it out to be.[/QUOTE]

Or you could look at it as a Zelda that actually has voices, dialog, development, plot pacing, non-midi music, and emotional involvement. There is actual motivation to get things done.

Zelda is fun, but it is pure gameplay and little else. The world and people of hyrule are unbelievably under-developed for a franchise that is so old and so big. it's amazing how the people of the zelda universe will continue to smile blankly at you while they tell you the world is ending, and then they ask you to waste time doing some stupid treasure hunt or to find a lost chicken.

[quote name='Venkman']Or you could look at it as a Zelda that actually has voices, dialog, development, plot pacing, non-midi music, and emotional involvement. There is actual motivation to get things done.[/quote]You could, but I don't think that would be accurate. That statement wasn't meant to be a defense of what Zelda is, but simply starting that BG&E was a pretty generic story on an already-seen-that gameplay formula.

Like I said, it's not that it's bad. But it's not really that great either.

It's a really good game, but I think the constant comparisons to Zelda throw people for a loop when they actually play it. It has more in common with Pokemon Snap than Zelda.

I'm playing this on the Xbox right now, and I think it's a great game. I'm about 4 hours into it, and the further I get into it the more I'm loving it. It has some great platforming elements, fun combat, and some surprisingly great stealth play to it. I really think this game is top of the line.

I'm enjoying this a ton more than I did Twilight Princess on Wii. The platforming in this game, coupled with the computer coop stuff puts it in a different category than Zelda, IMO. To the guy that only played the first 30 minutes, you need to give it more time than that. I thought the first hour was slow, but after the factory level, I was totally hooked. It definitely deserves all the praise it gets. :shame:

THIS IS NOT A RUMOUR...I've seen the flyer IN EVERY EB I've been in... They tack it on to their Pre-order binder.

Pretty sure this is Exclusive to Canada thou.

It makes sense that it would be re released. Beyond... 2 is one the way. Their trying to catch people who never played the game and them excited for the sequel.

Man, I could not have put it any better than that. You hit the nail right on the head. This game is everything he just said. And as for Zelda, ditto. Now don't get me wrong. I love the Zelda series and own every game, but the truth is the truth. If the Zelda games had evolved in some of these areas mentioned ,it would be more than worthy of the high praise that it all ready receives. Now the other way to look at it, and it being the stupid, non-emotional npcs and the fetch quests, plot, and the such is that these are the trademarks that makes the games what they are.

But BG&E is a really good game. I have to pick it up again and finish it. I got stuck somewhere, got frustrated and never picked it up again. Again, the game deserves all the praise that it gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back