CAG Buzz: Akysys Games' From the Abyss (DS) and Battle Fantasia (360) Giveaways!

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][img-l=4751]2424[/img-l]CAG, GameQuest Direct and Aksys Games have teamed up to bring you CAG Buzz, which gives you a chance to win a game just by discussing it. Over the next three weeks, we will be giving away a copy a week of From the Abyss (DS) and Battle Fantasia (360).

Continue reading to learn more![/preview]

The contest
is exclusively offered to the CAG community brought to you by CheapyD, GameQuest Direct, and Aksys Games!

How CAG Buzz works:

1. An upcoming new release title will be featured as a CAG BUZZ topic.
  2. CAGs can view screenshots, special features, and possibly industry rumors!
  3. Three to five questions will be posted.
  4. Post your answers in the discussion thread with your gaming insights and be entered to win the game!
  5. One CAG (per game) will be selected every week for the next 3!

Contest Rules: User must answer the questions to be entered for the contest. How the questions are answered does not reflect chances of winning. Follow up comments are encouraged to open additional discussions within the community, but will not increase chances of winning. Keep the BUZZ going so that more users can have the opportunity to participate and win!

Winner Notification: One user will be selected and contacted through private messaging from GameQuest. User will need to reply to GameQuest with full name, shipping address, and contact number within 2 business days or another winner will be drawn.

Support future CAGBUZZ by preordering your games from GameQuestDirect!

From the Abyss (DS)
Battle Fantasia (360)

From the Abyss (DS)

[img-l=4751]2420[/img-l][img-l=4751]2419[/img-l][img-l=4751]2418[/img-l]

Developed by Sonic Powered, Published by Aksys Games, From The Abyss pits players within the vast world of Rubenhaut through a unique world creation engine exclusively created for From The Abyss. The game also features an intuitive touch screen control scheme, allowing players to swap skill sets and inventory on the fly while in combat! From The Abyss is also set behind lavish artwork, and an engaging 2 player co-op battle system that reminiscence of Squaresoft’s Secret of Mana. Fans of the Action RPG genre will definitely be pleased with the abysmal journey!

From the Abyss
(DS) Entry Questions:

1. What are some of the key elements that you look for in a Action RPG title?
  2. If you’ve heard of From The Abyss, where did you hear it from?
  3. Name 3 gaming sites you visit regularly and why.

Battle Fantasia (360)
[img-l=4751]2421[/img-l][img-l=4751]2422[/img-l][img-l=4751]2423[/img-l]

Developed by ARC SYSTEM WORKS, creators of the highly popular Guilty Gear series, Published by Aksys Games, Battle Fantasia utilizes RPG-stylish elements while blending a high-end fighting game engine. Players will be able to pick between 12 beautifully illustrated characters by Emiko Iwasaki, and battle it out in front of gorgeous high-definition 3D environments.

Battle Fantasia (360) Entry Questions:

1. Do get excited at the prospect of the announcement of any new fighting game or do you only care about your favorite fighting game series?
  2. How do you feel about the character design and style of Battle Fantasia?
  3. Do you prefer 2D or 3D fighters and why?

Please cut and paste the questions (including game title) into your post.
Feel free to include answers for both games' questions in a single post.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the Abyss (DS) Entry Questions:

What are some of the key elements that you look for in a Action RPG title?
Maps are a requirement for me.

If you’ve heard of From The Abyss, where did you hear it from?
Nope, not really. I saw it at Amazon once, though.

Name 3 gaming sites you visit regularly and why.

1. CAG: no explanation needed.
2. Goozex: It's where I do 90% of my game transactions now.
3. Amazon/Metacritic: to get honest multiple comments/reviews.

Do you get excited at the prospect of the announcement of any new fighting game or do you only care about your favorite fighting game series?
I have my preferred series, but most important is the fighting style
used, as opposed to the characters/story. New franchises are good so
long as they sport the style I like.

How do you feel about the character design and style of Battle Fantasia?
It looks interesting, kind of a blend of Darkstalkers meets Odin Sphere.
It's always nice to have non-human characters, so long as they control
normal.

Do you prefer 2D or 3D fighters and why?
Either one, I loved Battle Arena Toshinden as much as Tekken back in
the day.

Combos. Being able to chain and upgrade skills would make it more fun to grind.
Never heard of this game until now.
1. Gameranking - I like to see the opinions of people who already played the game.
2. 1up - Game news
3. Gamespot - Their forums.

1. Do get excited at the prospect of the announcement of any new fighting game or do you only care about your favorite fighting game series?
Mostly just the big ones (i.e. Street Fighter, Tekken)
I like Anime so the look is great to me.
2D because the camera has less movement.

A good Story!

Cheapassgamer.com!

1.Kotaku.com - I need to know the latest video game news!
2.Cheapassgamer.com - I need to know the best game deals!
3.Gamespot.com - Great reviews!

Yes especially street fighter I'm a big SF fan.

Has a awesome Anime feel to it, great art.

2D is the ONLY way a fighting game should be so you can concentrate on the fighting not on movement.

Battle Fantasia (360)

1) I am always stoked to hear about a new fighter being brought out over here. Grew up placing my token on SFII and waiting my turn. I'm open to any and all styles though I prefer quarter and half circles over crazy combos. Plus with the modern consoles, the online play is a really cool bonus. Don't get me wrong, I still play the hell out of the games when me and my friends get together but as we get older, its a harder thing to do. And with the way that arcades have sadly almost disappeared over here, its hard to find some good players lined up on a machine.

2) Frankly, I think the art is gorgeous and I like what I've seen of it during some clips. Looks pretty smooth.

3) 2D all the way. Though being cheesed in the corners does and will always suck, its just a genre that always feels better in 2D. Growing up on Capcom and SNK fighters (I want another Last Blade game) is also another huge reason why I prefer 2D over 3D. Plus, majority of the 3D fighters suck. There are only two series that are 3D that I've dug has been Virtua Fighter and Soul Caliber (though I honestly prefer Soul Blade over the second and later games. Li Long with the three piece staff is still one of my favorite characters of all-time)

Fun and rewarding combat system that allows the game to avoid getting dull in the repetition of battle. I also like to collect stuff.

I saw it at gamespot recently when I was browsing rpg ds games and it looked intriguing.

1. Cheapassgamer.com: for the deals and for the user forum discussion and opinions on games. CAG community has rarely steered me wrong on a game purchase.
2. Metacritic ds: good way to get an overall view of a game's quality without slogging through tons of information.
3. ign.com/gamespot.com/gametrailers: info on specific games coming out or detailed reviews of interesting games like Abyss

Interesting and satisfying combat system, and a good story would be nice...

I think I saw it on a GameStop email newsletter thing.

CAG, for the deals and the community
Kotaku, for the constant stream of "news"
Sarcastic Gamer, for the humor

New games are always at least intriguing, especially if they are a completely new ip.

Looks good to me! I do like how each of the characters seem pretty unique.

I'd say 3D, because it adds a whole other dimension of strategy. (Clever, I know.)

It really doesn't matter which franchise it is to me, as long as it has online play and 2D graphics.

I love it. I still play the original Guilty Gear on the PSOne because I love that artstyle (not to mention the combat system).

I prefer 2D fighters for a few reasons: a) They bring back a nostalgic feeling from when I was a kid spending every quarter I had on Street Fighter II b) They just seem faster and more responsive to me than 3D fighters c) I enjoy the 2D artstyle more than 3D.

From the Abyss
(DS) Entry Questions:

A fun combat system, and an interesting storyline.

I've heard about this game from Gonintendo.com where I saw some screenshots of the game.

Gonintendo.com: It's where I get my news about Nintendo
Cheapassgamer.com: Where I can find out about video game deals
IGN.com: I like reading it's game reviews

I usually only care about games from the Super Smash Bros and Soul Calibur series, but sometimes I get interested in new fighting games that innovative concepts.

2. How do you feel about the character design and style of Battle Fantasia?I reallylike the characterdesign. The anime design seems very interesting.

I like 2D fighters more because it is easier to control where you are going.

1. I look for action of course, and realtime battles like those found in the Tales series. I don't really care about leveling up the character statswise, but I do find fun in unlocking new moves and possible combos.

2. I've heard about it from CAG Foreplay of course!

3. CAG - because I'm cheap, pennyarcade - because it's funny, joystiq - to keep track of the latest rumors/news

I've always liked RPGs that have a class system. That, and a fun, functional combat system.

Never heard of it. Saw the name on a release list and overlooked it. =p

CAG - Great community and information on the latest video game deals. They also have a great award-winning podcast.
Kotaku - Informative on the latest gaming-related news and typically have some other interesting reads.
Operation Sports - Focuses just on sports games. Great community as well. Also provide good reviews and promote simulation in sports titles.

---
A bit of both. A new fighting game offers something fresh while some of my favorite fighting game series are typically long-awaited, thus created excitement.

It reminds me of the PC anime fighting games. Very clean and defintely appealing.

I like 2D fighters. More or less, I have trouble with 3D fighters because of the combat system they typically use. I'm talking about the VFs, Tekkens, SCs, DoAs. I'm just not used to it.

Do get excited at the prospect of the announcement of any new fighting game or do you only care about your favorite fighting game series?
I do tend to enjoy fighting games like Street Fighter, Tekken and Soul Calibur but I do get curious when new fighting games come out, so I don't always dismiss new fighting games when they come out.

I actually really like the art style. All of the characters from what I have seen have a really unique look to them and I am curious to what sort of special moves they have since the Guilty Gear Games have some crazy moves.

I tend prefer 2D because tend to be less chaotic (expect for Marvel vs. Capcom obviously) and I have found them more fun because they are less complicated and have less moves to learn unlike Virtual Fighter which is really complex and hard to learn.

From the Abyss
The most important thing to me is satisfying combat, there needs to be a balance between simplictiy and depth

I have never heard of this game. I've not seen it on any of the sites blogs and podcasts I frequent.

a)Joystiq.com: I enjoy the humor of their writers and they are very timely and the site isn't a horrid color scheme like kotaku.
b)1up.com: I feel like I've gotten to know the 1up staff through years of EGM and their podcasts and the 1up show so I give their opinions more weight than sites like IGN which just seem like a bunch of random frat guys thrown together. Also, Shawn Elliot is highly entertaining.
c)cheapassgamer.com because I loves the dealz and the community, and CheapyD and Wombat too!

I look at every new fighting game whether its an old or new franchise

Hard to really tell anything from these screenshots but the character designs seem a little cutesy generic.

I prefer 2D fighters, the action is faster.

The combat system has to be fun, otherwise I tend to get bored of Action RPGs fairly quickly.

I heard of the name from GameSpot, they had a preview a little while back.

I visit GameSpot.com for reviews/news, CheapAssGamer.com for the gaming community, and GiantBomb for everything.

Do get excited at the prospect of the announcement of any new fighting game or do you only care about your favorite fighting game series?
I tend to only purchase fighting games of series that I'm a fan of, but if the combat looks interesting, and has nice 2D art I'll usually pick it up.

I like it, it's very appealing.

I prefer 2D fighters, they tend to be faster and I tend to like 2D art in games more in general.

Ease of control is key. I need an inventory system that doesn't get in the way. That normally means an item system that is less complex. Complexity can come from a creation system if wanted, but should not carry over to item use.

I've only read about it online and first heard about it by searching pre-order info at retail sites.

Cheapassgamer for the deals
Ign.com for reviews and to track my collection
Gamefaqs.com for the forums and walk throughs

I tend to follow a franchise that I am familiar with, but they do not normally get me as excited as discovering a new franchise that interests me. I tend to do more research and read previews of new series than I do of an existing series, because I already know what to expect from an existing series. That being said, I will also normally wait for reviews before jumping into a new series and will make more 'blind' purchases of something I am already familiar with. The take away from that is that it is very important to get preview information out there for a new series, at least for me.

2.How do you feel about the character design and style of Battle Fantasia?

I love what I've seen, especially the character design. It's nice to see something that isn't going for realistic or gritty in it's presentation. The game seems to be going for a fun or whimsical presentation and has me very interested.

3.Do you prefer 2D or 3D fighters and why?

I love the look that 2D provides and the control is normally much better with 2D. However, I don't think that it matters as much as the art and control. Being 2D or 3D doesn't make a game good. The only advantage I see from 3D is character movement, but I always associate that more with action games than fighting games anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the Abyss

An addictive battle system is a must. A diverse selection of random loot also helps make things more interesting by giving you something to hunt for. Cooperative multiplayer gameplay should also be included.

I first heard about the game on the NeoGAF forums, where a topic was created about the US release. A YouTube clip from the Japanese version was shown, which picked my interest since the game reminded me of Shining Soul 2.

NeoGAF, Kotaku, and 1UP.com. I enjoy the first two for their news content and the latter for the community.

Battle Fantasia

Since I love fighting games, I'll get excited about any newly released title in the genre.

I love them! They were one of the things that caught my eye when I first read about Battle Fantasia.

I prefer 2D fighters since I prefer sprites to polygons.

Looks like a promising contest. I applaud you CheapyD :3

What are some of the key elements that you look for in a Action RPG title? Usually a very well balanced fighting system. Challenging, but not so challenging you have you grind to get through it. Also, a great storyline can make almost any fighting system bearable to go through. As long as the fighting system isn't tedious and monotonous, the storyline can keep me playing.

Never hear of it until now. It actually looks pretty damn awesome.

CAG. cause im a cheapass...and a poor college student with a hardcore addiction to games.
gamefaqs, been roaming their forums for the longest time.
kotaku...cause they have all the latest news xD

Not really. Not much of a fighting game type of guy. I'm much more interested my own favorite fighting game series.

Characters design doesn't seem very next gen. But I'm not much for graphics. I think fighting games should maintain that oldstyle cartoonish look. Kinda reminds me of the good ol street fighter days. As for Battle Fantasia, character design is fine, but nothing eye-catching.

Hard to say. 2D and 3D have different elements of fighting which makes things kinda hard to compare. I like the 3D because you're not restricted to left right up and down. But I like 2D because it requires a lot more skill to dodge and block every attack. I'd have to go with 3D just cause I like the 3rd dimension roaming. Its pretty awesome to sidestep a guys attack and bash him over the head with a crazy combo.

What are some of the key elements that you look for in a Action RPG title? Loot whore aspect, casual difficulity

If you’ve heard of From The Abyss, where did you hear it from? I've not

Name 3 gaming sites you visit regularly and why. cheapassgamer.com for deals, joystiq.com for news, gamefaqs.com for faqs and forums

Do get excited at the prospect of the announcement of any new fighting game or do you only care about your favorite fighting game series? Depends on how easy the achievements are

How do you feel about the character design and style of Battle Fantasia? Not really a fan

Do you prefer 2D or 3D fighters and why? 3d, because there is only so much you can do in a 2d space

I am always excited when a new title breathes life into the fighting game scene. I sometimes get excited when the game isn't new and is simply ported/localized to my region. There are so many amazing games that are never localized and are missed out on by tons of gamers. I am a fan of the genre as a whole, not just a singular series.

It's a welcome change. The game seems to separate itself with a nice blend of mostly eastern rpg and anime stylized characters along with a bizarre fantasy story book vibe. There is a great deal of variety to the cast and no palette swaps in sight. It certainly has a visual flare that stands out among the other fighters right now.

If I were forced to chose, I would play 3d fighters a little more. Mostly because of the learning curve and expanded core mechanics. That however doesn't stop me from playing every fighter I can get my hands on.

Interested, certainly, but only excited after seeing what the game has to offer that's new, or the history of the developer. It's always good to see new ideas and methods put towards established genres.

I feel that this is the game's real hook, so that it doesn't get lost as "just another japansese 2D fighter" Battle Fantasia's style catches your attention, and is what got me interested in the game. It would be interesting to see the visual style applied to the more extreme Guilty Gear style design to contrast this softer fantasy design.

2D, as a matter of nostalgic preference, and because they are usually a little more balanced while being less complex. I say less complex as a compliment, as the varied fighting stances and reversals and hundreds of moves per character in many 3D fighters just makes me not want to even try to compete. I still have fun with most of the classic 2D fighters, and can pick them up again easily after years of not playing, but I can't even remember most of the Virtua Fighter 2 moves if I tried.

How in depth it is.

Never heard of it

1. CAG: duh
2. Goozex: awesome site
3. Screwattack.com: videos are funny

Do you get excited at the prospect of the announcement of any new fighting game or do you only care about your favorite fighting game series?
I don't really care for fighters that much.

Looks Japanese and RPG like: alright

3D: Virtua Fighter is the best!

A fun and well implemented combat system as well as a good story.

I remember reading something posted about it on gonintendo a while back but haven't heard anything since.

1. Gonintendo for all my Nintendo news.
2. Kotaku for the news and articles.
3. Cheapassgamer for the deals and the community.

I do get interested and intrigued but it's not until I see the game in motion and what it has to offer do get excited for it.

It looks interesting to me and I enjoy the art style and the anime feel it has going.

To be honest either one is alright with me as long as they can make the game work on either plane.

Graphics (not so much OMG amazing graphics, but more of art style and does it mesh well), controlls, and gameplay system (button masher vs skill based)
IGN review

IGN.com - reviews. They're usually not very good reviews, but it helps me keep up with what games come out

CAG - well, obviously...

QJ - games and more, I like it as a place to get all the info I pretty much care about in one stop

ANY fighting game is good by me!

Personally, I like it. It's very different from the rest of the pack, and that's always good in my book.

2D, preferably fast MVC or GG style. They still take skill to master all the systems, but unlike most 3D and even a lot of 2D, you don't have to memorize specific combos etc. You just know the systems, and can use quick thinking and reflexes to adapt to the situation, instead of just knowing "This combo does 10 hits, I'll just keep using it..."

1. What are some of the key elements that you look for in a Action RPG title? --- Easy Accesability but with enough depth to keep me playing for a long time, also a good story helps.
  2. If you’ve heard of From The Abyss, where did you hear it from? --- I have yet to hear of it till now but it sounds good
  3. Name 3 gaming sites you visit regularly and why --- N4G = constant updates from all gaming sites, Kotaku = not the best out there but they give a gist of the news for the day, and The Escapist = they are always informing in not news but original articles that actually make you feel smarter unlike other gaming sites

1. Do get excited at the prospect of the announcement of any new fighting game or do you only care about your favorite fighting game series? --- No matter how horrible it is, if it's a fighting game I'm all over it. I play fighters the most obsessively out of all gaming genres
  2. How do you feel about the character design and style of Battle Fantasia? --- I love it. I've played the japanese demo and can say it's such a great mix of sketch rpg art mixed wit vibrant fighting
  3. Do you prefer 2D or 3D fighters and why? --- I take both due to my large obsession of figthing. I can't say I prefer one over the other since the entire genre is like my baby.

1 - Do get excited at the prospect of the announcement of any new fighting game or do you only care about your favorite fighting game series?

I wish I could say I had standards, but it's been a while since I accepted it as fact that I just buy every fighting game that comes out. That being said, I do keep an eye out for anything with the names Guilty Gear or King of Fighters.

2 - How do you feel about the character design and style of Battle Fantasia?

I haven't seen that much of the game, but I like that it's deisgned as traditional fantasy. I'd have to say that the characters I'm liking most based on design and style alone are Watson and Freed.

3 - Do you prefer 2D or 3D fighters and why?

I prefer 2D fighters. This is mostly due to character design. Give me more Zappa or I-No and less Mishima any day of the week. Combo systems play a big part in this choice too. I enjoy more over-the-top absurd combos like in Marvel vs. Capcom 2 or Fist of the North Star than what's commonly there in 3D games.

Elements of humor and interesting characters, and a unique battle system.

Can't say that I heard anything of it besides seeing the name on release lists

CAG - People actually know what they're talking about, with a diversity of folk
Gametrailers.com - Obviously the video, but I also like their reviews, whether I agree or not.
Goozex - Yep I'm one of them. Brilliant system.

---

I get excited about almost any 2D fighter. 3D fighters I tend to be more apt to go for the series (ie SC or VF), but occasionally you'll have something like Rival Schools to blow that out of the water.

I like the character models, they look big and alive. A little too anime/manga influence for me personally, but not to any deterring degree.

I prefer 2D. Simply put, I think it aesthetically looks better, and lets me concentrate on what my move set is.

1. What are some of the key elements that you look for in a Action RPG title? In any RPG really, large selection of equipable items.
  2. If you’ve heard of From The Abyss, where did you hear it from? This is the first I've heard of it.
  3. Name 3 gaming sites you visit regularly and why. CAG - Deals, Joystiq - News, Penny-Arcade - Comics.

1. Do get excited at the prospect of the announcement of any new fighting game or do you only care about your favorite fighting game series? Neither. Tekken series was the last I really followed. MK vs DCU looks great though.
  2. How do you feel about the character design and style of Battle Fantasia? I like it...
  3. Do you prefer 2D or 3D fighters and why? 3D, much more engaging.

Fun combat, easy inventory screen, awsome loot drops!

I haven't! This is the first time, so I guess I heard from CAG & GQD! ;)

GameSpite - because JP is the man!
GameSetWatch - because they always have neat articles.
Insert Credit - because they usually have something interesting I wouldn't normally know about.

I get excited about EVERY fighting game. ;) The more the merrier!

I think it's great! I was excited to hear it was coming to the states on the 360! I was tempted to Import the PS3 version from Japan...

I prefer 2D fighters, but 3D fighters rock too! I think 2D fighters offer better Art Style and they are better for combos.

1. I look for quality maps and a challenging AI.
2. I heard of The Abyss on NeoGaf and have been eagerly waiting release since.
3. Cheap Ass Gamer, because it is the first gaming site that I began to visit regularly. The community and CheapyD are great. Kotaku, because they have the latest news coverage. Gamefaqs for their helpful community written game guides.

1. I usually look forward to fighting gamer series that I usually buy, but if a new title looks good, I will give it a shot.
2. Character design is what immerses a player into the universe and one of the most important elements of a game. I like the cartoonish style of Battle Fantasia.
3. I prefer 2d fighter games, I grew up on them in arcades and the SNES days. 3d will never compare in my opinion.

I have always enjoyed the fighter genere over the years and a new IP can be exciting.
I do have my favorites Street Fighter Series, Soul Calibur and Mortal Kombat 2.

I like the mix of 3D characters fighting in a 2D space. The game looks like it could be a lot of fun and the mix of chartacter styles looks nice. I just hope that it has the proper balance. I have heard otherwise.

I prefer 2D over 3D because it is what I grew up on and started with. I do like some 3D fighter like Soul Calibur but 2D is still the best.

I do get excited about new fighting games, so long as they look promising. It's always nice to see a new fighter being released as opposed to a rehash of titles I've already played (I'm looking at you Street Fighter).

I think the fighter had a great look to it. It's not like your typical fighter; it looks more like a fixed rail Powerstone with RPG elements as opposed to a Capcom fighter. The last time I remember something looking as unique as this was when I first learned about Guilty Gear.

I prefer 2D fighters. 3D fighters can be good, but I don't like the whole side-step and hold this button to block aspect a lot of them use. I also really like 2D games for their great artwork and old school feel.

If it brings something new to the table or has interesting character designs I'm willing to give new games a shot. While I prefer my favorite series, if it gets good ratings I'll probably check it out.

It definitely looks different. There's a bunny character in this game? That's a first for me! I think fighters do need something such as unique characters to set them apart from others.

I prefer 2D because the characters seem more animated which makes these games fun. Also I think I lean this way because most of my favorite fighters ARE 2D games.

Great puzzles, great story, and nice extra content

Gamestop

Cheapassgamer - for my deals, community, and great podcasts
Joystiq - for all my up to date gaming news
1up - for the reviews and podcasts

I buy every fighting game I can get my hands on. I specifically modded a few of my systems just
so I could import fighters and rpgs.

I love the whimsical design for the characters I've seen so far

I prefer 2D fighters for the art and the strategic gameplay.

Story, battle system, graphics
    CAG!
    CAG, IGN and Kotaku

It depends on the series.
    Decent. Nothing amazing to brat about.
    3D. More life like.

Enemy Variety...it's not too fun if you're just hitting different colored slimes and goblins

Nope, CAG is the first time I've seen it.

trading/community sites not withstanding

1. Kotaku, It's where I get my gaming news
2. Joystiq, also where I get my gaming news
3. Destructoid, another outlet for news

I'm willing to try out any fighting game. you'll eventually get tired of fighting dudes and white or red gis

It's definitely different, you don't see too much "medieval" or "fantasy" style fighting games...plus there's a rabbit with a wizard's hat in it.

2D, cause I still don't believe there's been a definitive 3d game. no one has mastered movement. I mean when you think about it, most "3D" fighters are still on a 2d plane. movements are confined to a single plane, with the occasional sidestep changing the direction.

1. Usually I tend to only notice 2d Street Fighter games.With 3d fighters Im more open to seeing what gameplay videos are showing and how it compares to series that I have enjoyed in the past.
2. From a quick glimpse of the screen shots some of them seem a bit quirky or outlandish, but Id reserve judgement until after Id played the game.
3. I really dont have a preference for either style. They both have their pluses and minuses IMO.

1. Story and graphics. The ability to save anywhere is also key in any RPG for me.
2. Haven't heard of it before.
3. CAG - Deals and CAGCasts!
Joystiq - Up to the minute news
1up - Podcasts and reviews.

I'm pretty much open to all fighting game announcements but am partial to Capcom Fighters in particular.

Reminds me a lot of Powerstone's look and feel.

Prefer 2D fighters because I enjoy the madness of fighting on a 2D plane. But I do like 3d characters incorporated into a 2D plane, like Street Fighter 4, Tatsunoko VS Capcom and Battle Fantasia.

I prefer fighting games that are from my favorite series but I am still open to any other fighting game. My number one criteria is if the game is well done with lots of replay value, not the familiarity.

I like the design and style because it is a change from most other fighting games I've seen which are either 2D cartoons or 3d and try to be realistic. The environments also look really good.

I don't have a preference for either one. It depends on how well the game is done. I've played good 2d and 3d fighting games and both have their ups and downs. Example, 3d ones often have more immersive graphics but sometimes, the controls can be clumsy.

Story, battle system, multiplayer capabilities (especially on the DS).

Gamestop flyer

1. CAG, because i'm frugal
2. Destructoid, great community and good interviews
3. Gametrailers, HD trailers and gameplay footage

I am consistently down for originality. I will be looking forward to Battle Fantasia.

It's very stylish. It's unique, it's hard to describe beyond the obvious details (cel-shading, Tales of Vesperia-esque).

I used to be 2D fan, until Power Stone came along. That game changed my perspective on fighting games. I used to think they were strictly competitive, no room for fun. Power Stone 2 let you do some of the most ridiculous moves and you could have up to four people just really enjoying beating the crap out of eachother in that extra dimension.

Depends on the style, however, I look for a good interface so that my magic/items/etc are all easily accesible while in the middle of a fight. Nothing worse than having a guy smash you while you're trying to use a potion. I'm big in to stylish combat, ie. Kingdom Hearts style, moves that are nice to look at but still the core of an action rpg.

I've heard of it through game research on gamespot, and also at the video game store that I work at.

Gamespot - Mainly news, not as big into their reviews because I find more biased than other sites like IGN
IGN - Mainly for reviews as I find their reviews less biased than others ie. Gamespot, however, their news interface is much more complex whereas Gamespot's is very easy to use and straightforward.
1up - Reviews mainly, and the fact that I subscribe to their magazine.

I love the announcement of new fighting IPs. I'm obviously skeptical as to how they will produce, but that doesn't mean I don't look out for them and read up on them. Very interested in any fighting game that comes out, however, few will do what the greats like Street Fighter & Rival Schools, etc, did best, in that make a very fast paced, but quality fighting game at the same time.

I love it and I hope that others like it too. I'm very into the style of art used in BF so I'm looking forward to it.

Hmm. Toughie. I really enjoy a lot of 2D fighters such as Street Fighter Alpha II and Marvel Vs. Capcom/MVC2, however, I love 3D fighters like the Soul Calibur series, so it really is a tough question. Ultimately, I would go with 2D in the end because of my love for retro games, as well as the style of art that they manufacture and put to such great and beautiful use in their games. However, that is not to say that I would not play a 3D fighter, as granted they have just as good a style of art and beauty, just a different one to that of a 2D fighter.

1. Story, a good battle system that can overcome repetition, rewards exploration
  2. Seen it briefly mentioned in Nintendo Power
  3. CAG, kotaku, gametrailers -- for entertainment value, news, etc

1. I'm interested in any fighting game as I'm a fan of the genre.
  2. I love it! Played the demo, and it's not bad overall.
  3. I prefer 2D fighters--the gameplay mechanics are simpler to grasp and tend to be executed better in 2D for this genre. Exceptions are VF, Tekken, and certain of the SC series.

Battle Fantasia:

1. I like hearing news about new fighting games. I like to see innovation and new and crazy characters and special moves.

2. Battle Fantasia looks great and I'm really looking forward to learning the ins and outs of the game.

3. I love 2D and 3D fighters but I give the slight edge to the 2D fighter. It's easier to pick up and most use the standard Street Fighter quarter and half circle moves.

1. The fighting system is a key element to any action rpg, but a mix of both puzzle elements and adventure discovery really help as well. A big plus that most action rpg's dont have that should is the 2 player co-op aspect. I think more Action Rpgs should have this
  2. I heard about From the Abyss on cheapassgamer.com
  3. Cheapassgamer.com for the best gaming deals, Kotaku.com to see what the newest news is about, and Gizmodo cuz im a gadget geek.

Battle Fantasia (360)
Entry Questions
:

1. I like new fighting games as well as same series ones. The plus about sequels to fighting games is that if u mastered the characters in the one before the 2nd one should have pretty good at the game before you even play it.
  2. I like it a lot, it reminds me of Odin Sphere. When I bought and played Odin Sphere I thought they should just make it into a 1on1 fighting game.
  3. I like both actually. I find it easier to play 3D fighters like Tekken, DOA, or SouL caliber, but I am getting more into 2D fighters.

A: Replayability
A: from CAG!.
A: 1. CAG for good deals.
2. Gamefaq for some tips.
3. xbox.com to check out news.

A: New fighting games are good as long as they offer a wide variety of characters.
A: It looks really good.
A: Both because each has its own characteristic of gameplay.

Battle System, Character Design and Storyline
CAG
CAG - fun all around not just VG
GameFAQs - guides and reviews
IGN - reviews

Faves first but depends on details of others
Like it
No preference either way but all depends on how well the controls are.

That the game is at least 40-hours long in the main game. The Action does not just constantly pressing the same buttons over and over again. and if there are more then one character to switch to, give me a reason to. The other Action RPG that I've played such as the Tales series, and Star Ocean I've played through the entire game with changing to a different character once or twice just to change back to the main one because I find using those characters were boring.

I probably heard it on a game review site like gamespot.com or somewhere but because of the title, when I glance at it I assumed it said "Tales of The Abyss" causing me to overlooking it.

www.gamefaqs.com - for hints and reviews from others who played the games.

www.gametrailers.com - for the latest trailers

www.screwattack.com - for entertainment and HardNews. btw screwattack is where I find out about this website.

4. Do get excited at the prospect of the announcement of any new fighting game or do you only care about your favorite fighting game series?

Not really excited only care mostly on Street Fighter or many other fighting game from Capcom.
  5. How do you feel about the character design and style of Battle Fantasia?

They look interesting enought for me to try playing most of the characters. Who don't want to try beating others using a rabit? But that also make me worry about little characters that are in the game. will they be broken fighters like Yoda in SC (most attack won't hit, and can't be grab for throws).
  6. Do you prefer 2D or 3D fighters and why?

2D fighter because of it fast pace and complexity. don't like 3D because in most 3D, any newbie can button bash the entire game and still win against players who had played for a while, and movelist for each characters are diffrent to the point that each character has to be remembered (example Tekken, I'm good with one character but with other I will lose badly).

That the game doesn't stray too far from the "action" element and keep the pace, one thing I hate about RPGs is they are normally so slow. I like to play for maybe an hour or two at a time, no more, and if that entire time is taken up by one boss battle or 4 random battles, I don't enjoy it one bit.

I have heard of it, and I believe it was from Digitpress.com.

Other than CheapAssGamer...
1. Gamefaqs. not for the forums, but the reviews are usually unbiased so it's a good place to get honest opinions
2. Kotaku, it's where I get all my video game news!
3. Digital Press, great site for modern AND classic gaming.

If a game has characters in it I already like and recognize, such as Marvel Vs. Capcom, it's usually more interesting to me than a game that I don't know about. Although, the art style in the particular game is very intriguing to me so it has peaked my interest.

I like it, I think each character has an individual "look" and "style" and I think that is what's necessary to make great characters.

I think nowadays I prefer 3D over 2D, because 2D games always tend to revolve around elaborate combo systems and 50 button entry special moves that I could never get the hang of and my friends would always kick my butt whenever we play. I'm better at 3D because there's usually more ways to dodge and it's always been my major tactic.

I am open to any fighting game. I dont usually play them because I am not the greatest but I am always open to one that is fun to play and wont make me feel like tossing my controller.

I think the characters look great. I like the diffrences in them from the little fighters to the regular sized ones. Would probable give them all a try to find one I liked.

I dont really have a prefernce on fights. I am open to both as long as they are easy to control.

bread's done
Back