de blob looking awesome

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']I guess I'll be the first to say this: no online, only 10-hour story, lack of real challenges: I'll wait for a price drop. :D[/quote]
None of those are important in the least to me. I can see why they would break the deal for some people, but a 10-hour, fun, pretty, easy game is pretty much my ideal game these days.

[quote name='vherub']all the reviews have been positive, looks like a beyond good and evil situation in the making[/QUOTE]

Yeah i dont think Boom Blox has had a price drop yet has it?

They should hold the price for a bit.

OK I got this game and if you own a Wii you need to pick it up. This game is like breathing fresh air. Needless to say I am a fan. I am a little surprised no one else is talking about it. Must be the Mega Man craze making people forget about this one:)

Well I decided to get this over Wario, and I'm definitely not disappointed. I'd recommend this game at full price, and I wouldn't even say the same for Boom Blox (which was still a great game by the way).

Ooo I was looking forward to this game but was kinda unsure. Glad most of you like it. As a result, I'll be trying it out soon :D

Whoa, cheers, CAG, would have totally slid this one past me without your recommendations.

Sorry for talking, I need to lurk moar.

just saw the commercial for this and at the end it said "only for wii" even though I have it on my ipod touch...pretty fun game though

[quote name='Malik112099']just saw the commercial for this and at the end it said "only for wii" even though I have it on my ipod touch...pretty fun game though[/QUOTE]
The iPhone version doesn't play quite like the Wii version, I think.

--R.J.

Played my rental this afternoon - awesome game. It took about 5 minutes to get addicted to the painting, though I somehow missed 6% of the first level after 25 minutes. I wish they would have put the jump on A or something, but it works if you're precise. Will buy.

I had a lot of fun with the free PC game download over a year ago and was really afraid that this was being overproduced. I'm interested to see what an a calendar year of development has brought to the table.

Picked this up since it took my Best Buy over a week to put it on shelves, because they are run by idiots.

Awesome. Completely awesome.

It's got Katamari's gameplay and all of the charm, but combined with more of a European flair than esoteric Japanese weirdness. You've got cute characters with funny voice gibberish-logue and beautiful graphics with great personality. The gameplay itself is very simple, but very effective at the same time (which is what I prefer in my games these days).

Absolutely recommended to anyone. MarioColbert - you need to get this game all up ins yo' house. 'Cuz guess what - the enemies look like Purple Tentacle's evil cousins.

Got it last Friday as well, and also love it. My only gripe is that even if you rush like mad, it takes about 30 minutes to finish a level and save your progress -- an autosave after opening each gate would have been soooooooooooooo welcome. As it is, I can't really play it until I know I have a chunk of time reserved for it.

Other than that, it's awesome. Fun gameplay, goofy animations, awesome dynamic music, smooth framerate, easy enough for casuals but challenging enough for experts (try painting 100% of a level, I double-dog-dare ya), can't recommend it highly enough.

--R.J.

Well, bear in mind that you could probably do the bare-minimum to open the gates fairly quickly, unless later levels really up the reqs. I think I had opened up the first three gates before I went through the first one.

Unless you were doing just that and I am in for a lengthy surprise when I get back into the game.

It seems to me that even if you went as fast as you could, it takes around 25-35 minutes minimum to finish a level. Maybe it's my completist attitude at fault, but some intermediate save points would really make things perfect for me.

--R.J.

[quote name='Strell']
Absolutely recommended to anyone. MarioColbert - you need to get this game all up ins yo' house.[/quote]Where the hell has that guy been, anyway?

[quote name='The Crotch']Where the hell has that guy been, anyway?[/QUOTE]

He's busy with scholastic things.

And also showing me a speedrun he did through Another World, a feat so mesmerizing that I had to break my monitor to stop watching it over and over.

[quote name='Strell']He's busy with scholastic things.

And also showing me a speedrun he did through Another World, a feat so mesmerizing that I had to break my monitor to stop watching it over and over.[/QUOTE]

Reminds me of heart of darkness, whats the other game that is similar in design return to black or... I forget today just is not my day for memory.

[quote name='Strell']
[review]
'Cuz guess what - the enemies look like Purple Tentacle's evil cousins.[/quote]
Thanks for the review and thanks for introducing me to Day of the Tentacle. :grouphug:

[quote name='Snake2715']Reminds me of heart of darkness, whats the other game that is similar in design return to black or... I forget today just is not my day for memory.[/QUOTE]

Fade to Black.

And yeah, MC just finished playing through Heart of Darkness. Eric Chahi - were things fair in this universe - would be king among game developers.

[quote name='rjung']It seems to me that even if you went as fast as you could, it takes around 25-35 minutes minimum to finish a level. Maybe it's my completist attitude at fault, but some intermediate save points would really make things perfect for me.
[/quote]
I'm still probably picking this up in the next week or two because it looks and sounds fantastic, but thank you for the warning. I find it to be a major annoyance in any modern game where you cannot stop and start at your convenience.

I picked up the iPod Touch version for $7 and it's awesome. I'd imagine the Wii version being that much better: However I don't know if it's $50 better.

I am hoping to get this around the $30 mark. Or rent this ASAP.

Finally started playing this and I have to concur... awesome. This is one of the first big third party games for Wii that I'd recommend to people for full price.

I *do* have to agree in the problematic lack of 'save points', as it were. I went through the first level and it took me about 40 minutes, which means this isn't going to be my 'I'm going to play this to completion' game, but my 'whenever I have a big chunk of time, I'll toss it in' game. That's a shame, but hey. I'd hate to get halfway through a level and then have to do it again. Well, since it's this game, I'd still enjoy playing though them, I just wouldn't *want* to, you know?

For the first time I couldn't fully complete a level (by taking out the final objective) before running out of time. Luckily I happened to be right at the end gate. Still 91% painting, so I was close. Whatever the level was after Chroma Dam. Anyone know how many levels are in this?

[quote name='wii skiier']I want to play this now. Does anyone know the cheapest route to get this?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='lilboo']I picked up the iPod Touch version for $7 and it's awesome. I'd imagine the Wii version being that much better: However I don't know if it's $50 better.

I am hoping to get this around the $30 mark. Or rent this ASAP.[/QUOTE]

Well, I joined the club today. I was gonna rent this, but with the GS B2G1 I decided to check on this one first and foremost. Only one store out of several near me had it. So I took a chance and drove up there today and got a near mint copy along with utterly mint (must have been converted from new because they were untouched) copies of Wario Land Shake It and Mario Super Sluggers. I rented Wario and nearly beat it on 2 or 3 evenings of play and Mario Super Sluggers didn't seem different enough from the last one to warrant a purchase at full price. But getting that trio of awesome newly released Wii games for just $81 in GS credit was too good to pass up. My son will get more play out of Wario (once I finish off that last boss) and we can all play Mario Super Sluggers, but de Blob looks like one I will sink some serious time into. My son played the first level tonight - I'm glad we pushed through to the end because I didn't realize it wasn't saved up to that point - it makes a big deal out of telling you it has an autosave and not to turn off the power, blah, blah, but, man, that autosave doessn't trigger much I guess :lol:.

Anyway, to the two above wanting a deal on it - check out GS as you can get it for $27 if you can match it up with 2 other $44.99 games and use the coupon + Edge card discount.

Docklands seemed a lot more difficult than previous levels - not so much the actual obstacles (though they weren't easy), just that suddenly I'd see I was almost out of time. Had to blow through the last section or two, so I didn't even break 75% painting.

I did take a few more tries to beat some of the challenges this time, but even then I don't know how much time was really wasted relative to what I had left.

:wave:

So I got this on Black Friday from Amazon for $26.
I don't think I would be fappin' over it if I got this for $50. :whistle2:k

I'm liking this. It surprisingly looks nice. The music is actually enjoyable. I am surprisingly having fun with it.

My biggest gripe is, as always, "JUMP" has to be some dumb ass waggle. Lemme just use the fuckin "A" button please. Because of that, it seems a bit harder (for me at least) to jump around.

I do like it more then I could complain about it. Feels nice to play something other than Animal Crossing.. ya know, something new and different!

It is a great game. I beat it just before Animal Crossing came out. There are a lot of great "under the radar" games for the Wii - people just like to piss all over it for no reason.

Anyway, I still plan to go back to it to get all the medals (or whatever it is they are called). I beat the game with only about half of them - there's a lot of replayability in trying to get all those and unlock all the bonus stuff.

Do the free paint modes and the like let you roam around without the time limit? I kinda wish they would have optionally let you play through the campaign without the timer as it's a much more entertaining and relaxing game when you can just wander around without racing the clock (i.e. the earlier levels).

[quote name='botticus']Do the free paint modes and the like let you roam around without the time limit? I kinda wish they would have optionally let you play through the campaign without the timer as it's a much more entertaining and relaxing game when you can just wander around without racing the clock (i.e. the earlier levels).[/quote]

Yes it does. I just checked.

[quote name='EXStrike']Yes it does. I just checked.[/quote]
This is good news. Ultimately it's all I wanted out of this game. I've played through the first two levels but didn't try any of the other modes yet.

[quote name='lilboo']My biggest gripe is, as always, "JUMP" has to be some dumb ass waggle. Lemme just use the fuckin "A" button please. Because of that, it seems a bit harder (for me at least) to jump around.[/quote]
It gets a little tiring if you want to jump in rapid succession, but I don't think it's meaningless -- the direction you swing the Wii remote affects the direction you jump, so you need the motion controls to do some of the wider gaps in the game. If you pause briefly after a jump (to let your hand motion return to neutral) there's no problem with it.

--R.J.

What's wrong with hitting "A" to jump and steering it with the analog stick on the nunchuk? Without 1:1 motion, most of these motion controls fail.

Still enjoying the game, however :cool:

[quote name='lilboo']What's wrong with hitting "A" to jump and steering it with the analog stick on the nunchuk? Without 1:1 motion, most of these motion controls fail.
[/QUOTE]

Just want to point out that the developer was questioned about WM+ at some point after the game shipped, and said that they "probably wouldn't have used it even if we had the chance because it would have made the controls too complex."

Take that as you will. I could see it working....or not working just as equally.

I tend to agree that the waggle gets a little old after a while, though I didn't know it actually affected the direction you jumped (I've just been doing downward motions). They could have thrown in a really tiny combat system that was waggle based, and had you use it a few times a level, instead of forcing waggle throughout the entire thing.

Maybe we'll get a sequel and some things like that will be implemented.

I didn't know either! I just waggle upwards :lol: I mean even if it was the "A" button, he still doesn't jump high or well at all.. but you're right, the whole waggle thing is so 2007 at this point :(

Isn't there a DS version being made.. or am I just sniffin permanent markers again?

[quote name='lilboo'] or am I just sniffin permanent markers again?[/QUOTE]

That was nooooooooooo marker, son.

bread's done
Back